Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RabidWeasel posted:

No, Thrace and Macedon are the only Diadochi antagonists. The rest are IIRC Carthage, Rome, Arvernia, Parnia, and some state in India. I'm sure I forgot at least one.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is Antigonos still alive at game start? He is literally the reason we have the word Antagonist.

nah, that's a fairly basic greek compound word

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Hmm well tried a game as Syracuse and Carthage immediately killed me. Can you only play as major powers now?

Syracuse has been one of my favorite starts. You're absolutely going to be attacked by Carthage, but you have enough time at start to clear out the Sicilian minors and nab an alliance with Epirus which should provide enough of a distraction that you can fend off the armies Carthage sends to Sicily. Then after defending long enough and occupying their holdings on the island, you should be able to take some of them in a peace. Over the next period keep creeping up the boot of Italy, see if you can snag an alliance with Macedonia and then you're good as gold.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Canasta_Nasty posted:

Syracuse has been one of my favorite starts. You're absolutely going to be attacked by Carthage, but you have enough time at start to clear out the Sicilian minors and nab an alliance with Epirus which should provide enough of a distraction that you can fend off the armies Carthage sends to Sicily. Then after defending long enough and occupying their holdings on the island, you should be able to take some of them in a peace. Over the next period keep creeping up the boot of Italy, see if you can snag an alliance with Macedonia and then you're good as gold.

They rolled me with like 50k dudes, didn't get an epirus alliance though.

Also for Syracuse it had my vassals as being disloyal? But their opinion was real high.

It showed up when I took out the other Sicilian minors, they would join because of "disloyal vasssal" or something. But couldn't tell why they were disloyal.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
ai syracuse has survived and thrived for at least 50 years in all 3 of my bosporan kingdom attempts thus far since the patch, although they actually turned into the mamertines in one of them. i had a lot of success with that start in earlier permutations of the game but carthage being more aggressive changes things up, you'll probably want to keep a bunch of cash floating for mercs. attacking carthage if they ever get distracted is a good move, if it takes them too long to move troops to the island from wherever it is they're fighting you can usually nibble off some of it in a quick peace deal just based on occupation bonus warscore.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Also for Syracuse it had my vassals as being disloyal? But their opinion was real high.

It showed up when I took out the other Sicilian minors, they would join because of "disloyal vasssal" or something. But couldn't tell why they were disloyal.

You can see vassal loyalty from the vassal's diplo screen next to a hand symbol. Hovering over the loyalty number will show what's affecting it. Sometimes vassals get events which tank their loyalty and there's not much you can do about it other that waiting unfortunately.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

For the first few wars with Carthage, you definitely need an ally. The main three I've used are Epirus, Rome, and Macedonia.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Flavius Aetass posted:

Although a bunch of words do have that kind of origin, which is fun. Academy was originally just the name of the single, specific garden Plato taught in, originally owned by a person called Akademos.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
How is Imperator nowadays? I bought it when it came out and quickly lost interest, returning to EUIV.

There have been 2 big patches so far, if I'm right. Is the game more engaging now?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flavius Aetass posted:

I dont believe you simply to be contrary and because its too good not to be true even though I have no way to prove it. We got Nepotism because of a Greek (Athenian, I think?) guy named Nepos who got elected to a high office that liked to give prominent positions to his family members despite the fact that they were completely not qualified. We got Antagonize from Antigonos I of Phrygia because he was constantly antagonizing the other greek diadochi, and was constantly at war for like 30 years :colbert:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I dont believe you simply to be contrary and because its too good not to be true even though I have no way to prove it. We got Nepotism because of a Greek (Athenian, I think?) guy named Nepos who got elected to a high office that liked to give prominent positions to his family members despite the fact that they were completely not qualified. We got Antagonize from Antigonos I of Phrygia because he was constantly antagonizing the other greek diadochi, and was constantly at war for like 30 years :colbert:

where does Protaginos come into the picture

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

where does Protaginos come into the picture
Sorry thats all I got.

Maybe I should have used :c00lbutt:

What I was really trying to say prior to the post you quoted, Antigonos died because he triggered a coalition of all of the other diadochi because he was so aggressive and antagonistic, constantly. It surprises me that a he is not an antagonist in this game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hammerstein posted:

How is Imperator nowadays? I bought it when it came out and quickly lost interest, returning to EUIV.

There have been 2 big patches so far, if I'm right. Is the game more engaging now?

I thought it sucked at launch but I’ve gotten back in in a big way with this patch.

Frankly this is how it should have shipped. I’ve done plenty of paradox titles in 1.0 stages and this was rough even by their standards. It’s a good game now.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Game is good now!

Playing as Thrace, not long after the start date, I'm not sure who I should attack first: Macedon while it is in a losing war with Egypt, or Phrygia while it is having a very big civil war. Main problem is that Macedon is guaranteed by the Seleucid empire for some reason (but their territory is much more interesting).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So I'm doing the standard roman playthrough. Took the immediate italian BS near me, ate everything south of the Po river, then ended up in a war with Carthage over Sicily. Won that (barely), cleaned up the random greek states in S. Italy and Sicily, then Carthage DOW'd me again and I ended up owning Carthage proper. Rinse and repeat and I own N. Africa and they are basically a Spanish empire.

So far so good. I decided to go gently caress with the greeks and holy loving poo poo invading greece suuuuuuuucks. It's a goddamned fort every single province.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

What I was really trying to say prior to the post you quoted, Antigonos died because he triggered a coalition of all of the other diadochi because he was so aggressive and antagonistic, constantly. It surprises me that a he is not an antagonist in this game.

Antagonist could've been a character trait similar to ambitious, which did the AI things it currently does, while also leading to characters in political factions pulling more shady poo poo if tagged and potentially destabilizing the country in order to support their faction's agenda. Caesar in Gaul could just be a popular general getting Antagonist with the personal aim to conquer Gaul. Satisfy him, or he'll actively make life hell - at least keeping him in the field, fighting for that goal would hurt less than letting him come back, join the Senate and prop up his faction.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I started a game as iron man Etruria. Barely won the war against Rome, used the truce period to capture some tribals north of me, then I prepared a line of forts along the Roman border, raised more troops and waited Truce ended aaand nothing, Rome conquered some minors in Italy, grew into a regional power and then asked for an alliance, now we are "friends" helping eachother grow while having massive negative opinions and them insulting me now and then. :v:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Noir89 posted:

I started a game as iron man Etruria. Barely won the war against Rome, used the truce period to capture some tribals north of me, then I prepared a line of forts along the Roman border, raised more troops and waited Truce ended aaand nothing, Rome conquered some minors in Italy, grew into a regional power and then asked for an alliance, now we are "friends" helping eachother grow while having massive negative opinions and them insulting me now and then. :v:

Which of you is the shonen protagonist and which is the edgelord friend?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I am obviously the protagonist, It's not me hurling insults and threatening to leave the alliance :colbert:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

I dont believe you simply to be contrary and because its too good not to be true even though I have no way to prove it. We got Nepotism because of a Greek (Athenian, I think?) guy named Nepos who got elected to a high office that liked to give prominent positions to his family members despite the fact that they were completely not qualified.
"Nepos" is Latin for nephew/grandson.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 29, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yeah, and Nepotism is called that cause some Popes had put their "nephews" in positions of power. It's impolite for Pope to have a son or a bastard so they get nephews.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Well the changes to Imperator were a little overwhelming, so I ended up having to play a Rome game. Love the new political influence system, if I wasn't playing a nation that got tons of free claims I would definitely have to balance some poo poo. Also huge huge fan of non instant claims and conversions. Still needs some more content but I'm having fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Welp I'll have to figure out which book on Greece I got that from because now I feel like an idiot.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Do dudes migrate from one province to another? Like if you do the centralize governor thing?

Thinking like will my capital pull people from all over the empire or just it's immediate lands?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Was just really getting into my Rome game and . . . game ends.

Huh. This might be the shortest Paradox game I've played in a while.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Do dudes migrate from one province to another? Like if you do the centralize governor thing?

Thinking like will my capital pull people from all over the empire or just it's immediate lands?

As far as I know: yes pops can migrate between provinces, but only to adjacent settlement/cities. So your capital will pull people from everything within it's province and from everywhere adjacent to your capital city.

edit: double checked, I was wrong, my capital city is getting migrants from all over my empire, completely ignoring provinces.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 30, 2019

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Was just really getting into my Rome game and . . . game ends.

Huh. This might be the shortest Paradox game I've played in a while.

yea, that's super weird, why not include the Roman empire time, to about the fall of Rome, say 500.
We already start the game with a lot of Super powers, that are just waiting to fall just like Rome did, with internal civil war/migration/invasions..

Btw, what's the easiest way to post images here, if i want to make a effort post?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Descar posted:

yea, that's super weird, why not include the Roman empire time, to about the fall of Rome, say 500.
We already start the game with a lot of Super powers, that are just waiting to fall just like Rome did, with internal civil war/migration/invasions..

Btw, what's the easiest way to post images here, if i want to make a effort post?

https://imgur.com/

Probably they are saving the empire for the first big DLC

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Descar posted:

235 would be a decent stopping point. late antiquity is too different of a time period to fit comfortably into imperator; you could make a whole game out of 235-650.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I:R doesnt model most of the Roman conquests pre-Empire, why would you expect it to also try to model the Roman conquests post-Empire?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's the end year anyway?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What's the end year anyway?

727 AUC / 27 BC.

In my last game I just started feeling like I was rolling into the late mid-game of a normal paradox title. You're a major empire, you have goals on multiple fronts, but you still have some big competition to knock over and poo poo isn't totally in the bag yet. It was really jarring to just have to go "yup, game over" and move on.

I'll probably wait until they release an expansion that kicks it out to 200AD or so.

God what a incomplete feeling game. It was a dumpster fire on launch, this patch got it fun, but said fun only lasts about 2/3rds as long as it should before dumping you back at menu.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

I:R doesnt model most of the Roman conquests pre-Empire, why would you expect it to also try to model the Roman conquests post-Empire?

But, it's "easy" to do the conquest the Romans did, and all the big blobs(Maurya, Selecuid, Thrace, Phrygia, Macedon, Egypt & Carthage) at start did fall within the game's time.
There's even a achievement for taking over the whole map, including India.
And it's good that the AI have a lot of randomness to it, makes each game different.

So, if you ignore Rome for a bit, the game is about conquest, getting as big as you can, before you have to deal with unbearable internal trouble, combined with invasions/migrations from outside.
It's just that the Internal management atm is a bit lackluster, but there's no reason to end so early.

Descar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 1, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

727 AUC / 27 BC.

In my last game I just started feeling like I was rolling into the late mid-game of a normal paradox title. You're a major empire, you have goals on multiple fronts, but you still have some big competition to knock over and poo poo isn't totally in the bag yet. It was really jarring to just have to go "yup, game over" and move on.

I'll probably wait until they release an expansion that kicks it out to 200AD or so.

God what a incomplete feeling game. It was a dumpster fire on launch, this patch got it fun, but said fun only lasts about 2/3rds as long as it should before dumping you back at menu.

Paradox has said repeatedly that they're never expanding the timeline. And I agree with them. The game is plenty long enough already. Most players never even see the game over screen, and it's more than possible to do a world conquest in the given timeframe with many nations.

If you really want a longer timeline, modding it yourself is pretty easy, though. There are mods on the steam workshop for this.

One thing they could maybe do is roll into the end more smoothly than a simple "game over" screen that appears without warning. The Civilization games do this with a countdown system, and the way technology and age progression constantly raises the stakes (and waters). EU4 currently handles this not as well but still decently with the ages system giving you that feeling of progression and, by the end game, eminent ending (also the addition of new mechanics over time like absolutism and revolution). I'm not a fan of the way some other Paradox games just prompt you with a game over screen out of nowhere when the time comes, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 1, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I dunno, for this one, I would very much like a timeline expansion. I agree that in its present state it's extremely jarring, and Imperator is even in the title. I'd like to see the era of the Roman Empire rather than just the Republic.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Tried after a break, I forgot how food works - I conquered Sabinia as Rome and suddenly Latium is starving? Did I capture too many pops? I don't remember how to SPQR :smith:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

canepazzo posted:

Tried after a break, I forgot how food works - I conquered Sabinia as Rome and suddenly Latium is starving? Did I capture too many pops? I don't remember how to SPQR :smith:

There is a "max" population a city can have now, building aqueducts increases the population capacity. If you're having trouble stockpiling food, get rid of one or two trade routes to your capital and import goods from the "food" group

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

You can also build farm settlements on food sources and slave estates on not-food-sources for more food

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Obviously world conquests are possible since people have the achievement but I don’t understand how you can conquer the map quickly enough without exploding due to all the off-culture pops and AE you’d have to accumulate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cyrano4747 posted:

So I'm doing the standard roman playthrough. Took the immediate italian BS near me, ate everything south of the Po river, then ended up in a war with Carthage over Sicily. Won that (barely), cleaned up the random greek states in S. Italy and Sicily, then Carthage DOW'd me again and I ended up owning Carthage proper. Rinse and repeat and I own N. Africa and they are basically a Spanish empire.

So far so good. I decided to go gently caress with the greeks and holy loving poo poo invading greece suuuuuuuucks. It's a goddamned fort every single province.

Im.currently in a rom playthrough and i've been delaying attacking greece because of that. The last game i played (a while back) Greece became my vietnam. Im afraid of a repeat.