Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

what's the game of next year

monster hunter world: iceborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

animal crossing

or bayonetta 3, god willing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

animal crossing

or bayonetta 3, god willing

Bayo 3 and SMTV are Vaporware made up to sell switches

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
okay I'm changing my vote to the friends of mineral town remake. localizations count, right

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my game of next year is the switch port of atelier ayesha

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cowcaster posted:

you godless sodomites can lick your lips and roger each other in stairwells all you wish but as a good honest christian in order for a game to be considered game of the year it must have originally been released in that year

who's gonna stop me from putting dota 2 on my top 10 for the 8th year running

:colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

my game of next year is the switch port of atelier ayesha

lol how many of these freaking games are there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

over 20 and most of the good ones have been ported multiple times

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

its been an annual series for like, 20 years + side games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

lol that would be the logical pick.

Nah, the thread for Epic Seven caught my attention so I've been playing that. It's a lot of fun but y'all know what this genre is so...

yufine ultimate waifu

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

do they just like, not have any plot, or what? how can you produce a jrpg series annually

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I have a terrible habit of confusing any of the various Atelier games with Recettear for some reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

do they just like, not have any plot, or what? how can you produce a jrpg series annually

most of them are about characters rather than story yeah but they usually don't have any obvious cut corners. Mostly it's just that

1) they're like 20-30 hour games instead of 60 hour games
2) they reuse assets when possible (usually the start of each new trilogy will introduce a bunch of new assets for enemies and items which get reused throughout that trilogy)
3) they're not cinematic at all (Lulua had a bunch of somewhat cinematic cutscenes in the first half but they almost completely disappear in the second)

I assume they use basically the same engine from year to year

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 1, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I have a terrible habit of confusing any of the various Atelier games with Recettear for some reason.
recettear is an atelier fan game so its not too surprising

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

they have the exact same energy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Untitled Goose Game's horny MOBA sequel

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

quote:

Recettear was originally developed by the dōjin soft developer EasyGameStation and released only in Japan. The game was brought to the Western audiences with English localization by Carpe Fulgur, a two-man development group consisting of Andrew Dice and Robin Light-Williams who had come to meet through the Something Awful forums.

I didn't know this!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow I can't believe Andrew dice clay and Robin Williams did translation work on a doujin game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I didn't know this!

Recettear, Chantelise and Fortune Summoners were big releases of them back at the time.

Well, Chantelise not so much, but the other two are pretty great.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I didn't know this!

Space Drake was one of their forums names. I'm not sure which is which

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

That seems about as easy as annual Call of Duty actually, maybe easier

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i admit i haven’t played many call of duties but i figured you could knock out the singleplayer parts in a long afternoon

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yeah they're usually just a few hours of shooting gallery

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

i admit i haven’t played many call of duties but i figured you could knock out the singleplayer parts in a long afternoon

I mean they probably reuse and iterate on a lot with the same sort of mechanics and set pieces with A Gimmick for however long they are. Calladoodies have eight hours of shoot mans ateliers have one hundred hours of whatever type of gameplay it has, color the enemy green for the next zone and increase the number, add bits to a wolf for a direwolf, etc.

The time consumingest part would be the set design for both I guess

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I got to play the Shenmue 3 backer demo and I'm now hype for the full game. It seemed to be an older build too, which means the end product will probably be even better. Game is beautiful, the environment looks really good and is very colorful. Has some nice upgrades to the controls, the UI, and some new stuff added to the gameplay-loop, like actually having to eat to restore life as it drains over time, collecting plants, and training is more important tham ever since if you don't train you're gonna get beat easily. Seems to have new minigames too, like fishing, but it wasn't available in the demo. Combat seems not so great, but it's playable. Wish they could have reused some of the old animations but it was probably impossible to do it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ghost Recon Breakpoint is really bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I guess I'm very late on this but

homeless snail posted:

can't believe none of my local libraries have the complete set of this 20 year old choose your own adventure book series
Come over to my house, I've got 'em all. :whatup:

Not joking, I really do have all of them because I was a dumb kid once.

Beet Wagon posted:

This just makes me want a cool asymmetric multiplayer Terminator game, but also with like... Terminator 1 Arnold. Come on, we have the technology.

I was thinking about this the other week and the obvious answer to me was to have Creative Assembly follow up Alien Isolation with a Terminator 1-style game using the same general design.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i did the negotiation grind in ffta to get the broken knife and i think i could have just beaten the game in the time it took

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh no oddium turned into a jack o lantern

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

happy hallowe'en may all your candy pulls be 5*

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
everyone is becoming spooky, I hope the thread doesn't get too scary for me

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well prepare to be spooked

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

aahhh!!ddium posted:

i did the negotiation grind in ffta to get the broken knife and i think i could have just beaten the game in the time it took

so this is what it means...to go even further beyond

to reply to your post, the secret is copying your save after doing that so you don't have to grind later. it's fun going around stealing everyone's abilities and weapons

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was all set to only play horror games this month. But then they go and drop Gundam Battle Operation 2 today

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
https://twitter.com/takaratomytoys/status/1178259876406890498

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I was all set to only play horror games this month. But then they go and drop Gundam Battle Operation 2 today
wait in english? i've been playing the jp version for awhile

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 for me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

probably cyberpunk 2077 for me too but count no chickens and all that

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm looking forward to Deadly Premontion 2 and Bloodlines 2 the most next year.

Yakuza RPG, Watch_Dogs 3, ad Dying Light 2 will probably be fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

yufine ultimate waifu

SHe's cute and she has a big axe. what's not to love