Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, like, some people here always says: "never land your sons". Sure, that the optimal thing to do, thats safe, but where is the fun in that? I like to land them all, I like to make them dukes and kings, I like to watch their families grow and stuff, gently caress if Ill have a ton of problem down the line because of that, even more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Land all the sons while also training them in intrigue. Last one standing wins.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
People who's solution to gavelkind splitting is to limit their family to exactly one (1) perfect son whom they cultivate like a bonsai tree are dangerously insane and should be locked up

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Landing sons is not the same as troubling with education. And it has nothing to do with powergaming or optimal decisions. Not landing sons is optimal but there are plenty of cases when you might want to do it. And even if it's not optimal you might want to do it for short term gain (e.g. your son loves your heir but hates you, appease him for a while with a county). The point of Old Paradox design in education is it looks like you're affecting dice rolls with a focus and guardian while in reality it's a system built to be exploited. It doesn't support RP decisions and it pretends it does. It has hidden rules that invalidate a lot of outcomes.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Started a new Mahonic game in AtE and one of my infant sons rolls Child of Destiny. Immediately I nominate him as Tanist. Kid keeps getting awesome permanent modifiers and had already started out with the Strong trait. By adulthood he has +4.5 Health from modifiers and traits! Since Paul was depressed I had him commit suicide as soon as little Lazarus reached adulthood. Holy poo poo, you guys, being a Child of Destiny owns. Infinite Invasion CBs on top of insane stats and modifiers. Were it not for Defensive Pacts I could've blobbed the entire continental US. Instead I'll have to use cunning, intrigue, and treachery to get NAPs and then break them via murder so I can pounce on my victim before they have a chance to rejoin the pacts.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

super fart shooter posted:

People who's solution to gavelkind splitting is to limit their family to exactly one (1) perfect son whom they cultivate like a bonsai tree are dangerously insane and should be locked up

Yeah, you’re supposed to have lots of sons and murder all but one.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I made my first attempt at playing the Byzantines but found it really frustrating because I was in constant civil wars. I'd like some help on how to play them (especially after being told the 40-something minor titles matter for picking your successor)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The beauty of Invasion CBs is that you also take all occupied territory, even outside of the target kingdom. Even better, you only need to occupy the county capital in order to take all the other holdings in that county.

2745 years after the birth of the heathens' crucified god, and nearly 900 years after the pre-Event American Civil War, Supreme Grand Master Lazarus the Great, lord of all Occultist faithful, and Emperor of the Atlantic, set out to complete what Sherman did not: the complete and utter annihilation of the Confederacy. For too long the rebellious heretics had been promoting their dead god as the salvation of humanity, but where was He during the Event? Where was He when the old world was shattered into hundreds of warring tribes and clans? No, the true way forward for humanity is in service of the gods of the depths. This new march to the sea, spilling the blood of the heathens until the oceans ran red, would put an end to their delusions, and snuff out the flame of rebellion. The Old Ones will gorge themselves on the blood of the infidel.

6 years, 7 months, and 7k in gold later, and the invasion is complete.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, like, some people here always says: "never land your sons". Sure, that the optimal thing to do, thats safe, but where is the fun in that? I like to land them all, I like to make them dukes and kings, I like to watch their families grow and stuff, gently caress if Ill have a ton of problem down the line because of that, even more fun

I never land my direct kids but I will land any and all relatives. Basically my current characters kids just have to wait til their parent dies then they get stuff. :v: It's pretty great, especially when I go to reform Rome and you know, 70% of the Empire is controlled by one family. :v:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

As an aside from the syphilis chat I'm coming to an end in my Ireland newbie game. I've played without any mods enabled but will probably turn everything I have on for my next game. Can someone give me the key run down on how not to gently caress myself straight away in my new game with the mod changes? I have Way of Life, Rajas, Sons of Abe, Old Gods, Republic, Legacy of Rome and Sword of Islam.

Also looking for a new place to start so suggestions welcome there too. Probably will just role with normal feudal for the new game before branching out to try a MR.

Apologies for quoting myself, trying to roll this back onto the current page.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Really though once you learn to game the education system it's fun to make your daughters all into top level ambitious spymasters and then marry them off into other kingdoms, preferably to counts or dukes.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I land my heirs and get real offended when they try to kill me

I had a wonderful heir today, genius, diligent, great stats. I gave him Greece, and he got loving rabies. He had a scholarship focus, I don't even know what he was doing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I land my heirs and get real offended when they try to kill me

I had a wonderful heir today, genius, diligent, great stats. I gave him Greece, and he got loving rabies. He had a scholarship focus, I don't even know what he was doing.

He was studying the effects of rabies on himself :shrug:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Even more fun to do it as a Muslim. Why even HAVE 10 sons if you aren't going to land them all and have your family tree spiral wildly out of control?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sometimes if my demense gets too big I sort the character finder by opinion and give land to the random courtier anywhere in diplo range who likes me best.

Also why is the character finder so limited? I want more filters. Like, find me every male non-ruler under 35 of my religion group or Hellenic with a martial stat higher than 10 in diplo range. Or even just filtering by trait. Why isn't there a mod?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Sometimes if my demense gets too big I sort the character finder by opinion and give land to the random courtier anywhere in diplo range who likes me best.

Also why is the character finder so limited? I want more filters. Like, find me every male non-ruler under 35 of my religion group or Hellenic with a martial stat higher than 10 in diplo range. Or even just filtering by trait. Why isn't there a mod?

You can filter by trait if you just type the name of the trait in the search field.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can type in a trait and it'll filter it, and you can arrange by age or set the thing to only show adults or children.

Personally, I wish the character finder let you sort by bloodlines, since the bloodline screen won't let you filter out married people. Maybe it'd be nice to sort people by money too, but that's an exploit that I don't think they'd want to enable further.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
3.2.2 is out on the op-in beta branch. All it does is add 64bit support.

I loaded her up along with ATEfanbranch, bigger interface, and better garbs and it started without a hitch. Seems faster too.

Has CK2 achieved it's final form?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a way to put the normal soundtrack back into ATE? (I like the new music, but would enjoy having both)

EDIT:

I'm tempted to rename them Danny and Arnold.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 2, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Fred posted:

As an aside from the syphilis chat I'm coming to an end in my Ireland newbie game. I've played without any mods enabled but will probably turn everything I have on for my next game. Can someone give me the key run down on how not to gently caress myself straight away in my new game with the mod changes? I have Way of Life, Rajas, Sons of Abe, Old Gods, Republic, Legacy of Rome and Sword of Islam.

there's nothing in here that will gently caress you. the only dlc that really adds new stuff to be aware of so it doesn't tank your game is the council mechanics from conclave, and the expanded disease mechanics from reaper's due. all the dlc you have is mostly just new content and flavor stuff

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What's a good muslim or hindu start?

EDIT: When setting up a city vassal as a Count or higher rank, what determines if they become a republic or a merchant republic?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 2, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

SirPhoebos posted:

Musselman: Sicily or later Iberian starts are fun. Abbasids are pretty weak in Iron Century so starting there and breaking out would probably be cool. Bosnian Islamic Empire too

Hindu: these are in the game ??

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: When setting up a city vassal as a Count or higher rank, what determines if they become a republic or a merchant republic?
Giving them coastal or non-coastal demesne, MRs must be coastal

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Every now and then someone asks for a CK3 that takes place entirely in a throne room where you delegate everything, and it looks like they're getting their wish: https://kotaku.com/being-king-doesnt-look-easy-in-upcoming-medieval-manage-1838701491

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjJarr-cWE

Kinda looks like a cross between CK2 and Papers Please and looks like it is extremely my poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pope keeps excommunicating me.

I'm not quite sure why. My dad was literally a saint and I'm not particularly sinful. Possibly he's angry that I wouldn't go to war against the HRE, which has twice as many troops as I do, and depose an antipope.

I managed to get him to lift it but he just excommunicated me again a couple of months later.

I might have to make my own pope and take over the papacy if this keeps on like this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

a fatguy bald spot posted:

Musselman: Sicily or later Iberian starts are fun. Abbasids are pretty weak in Iron Century so starting there and breaking out would probably be cool. Bosnian Islamic Empire too

Hindu: these are in the game ??

I was wondering what you were getting at, but the discord channel was also saying that India isn't a good starting spot. What makes it bad?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

I was wondering what you were getting at, but the discord channel was also saying that India isn't a good starting spot. What makes it bad?

Since Jade Dragon it's less bad than it used to be, but the game's primary focus is far to the west. India isn't inherently bad in a vacuum but you don't interact much with the rest of the world where interesting things are happening.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Since Jade Dragon, it's less bad than it used to be, but the game's primary focus is far to the west. India isn't inherently bad in a vacuum but you don't interact much with the rest of the world where interesting things are happening.

And by the time you do interact with the outside world, you've usually united India and are super-powerful.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
India is cool when you want a more relaxed game, though.

You can peak over at Europe every hundred years and see what insanity is happening.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My biggest problem with India is I know nothing about Indian history except that Alexander took over some of it so I don't have context for what's happening. Like I at least have somewhat of a grasp on European and Middle Eastern history but it's hard for me to formulate a goal or have fun expanding in this area. I don't know what's a cool to control or a narrative to weave for myself there. It reduces the game to it's flavorless components where it's admittedly weakest.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

I might have to make my own pope and take over the papacy if this keeps on like this.

Yeah if you're a Catholic empire there's basically no reason not to vassalize the Pope at your earliest convenience.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Eimi posted:

My biggest problem with India is I know nothing about Indian history except that Alexander took over some of it so I don't have context for what's happening. Like I at least have somewhat of a grasp on European and Middle Eastern history but it's hard for me to formulate a goal or have fun expanding in this area. I don't know what's a cool to control or a narrative to weave for myself there. It reduces the game to it's flavorless components where it's admittedly weakest.

Yeah the only goals I can think for India is total unification or a twist on that by playing a Dravidian culture and driving the Aryans back into Central Asia.

I probably need to read up on Indian history either way.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Is there a way to move off being a republic? I am now the Amalfi empire which is about two dutchies away from being able to reform the Roman empire and I'm verrryyy sick of accidentally losing control to the other houses.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Playing in Europe is pretty fun but it doesn't really affect what happens in the subcontinent or central Asia. It's cool to check in on India every now and then and see how its gone off the rails.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pope keeps excommunicating me.

I'm not quite sure why. My dad was literally a saint and I'm not particularly sinful. Possibly he's angry that I wouldn't go to war against the HRE, which has twice as many troops as I do, and depose an antipope.

I managed to get him to lift it but he just excommunicated me again a couple of months later.

Do you have a rival or a contender for some of your holdings? Some AI personalities love buying excommunications against people they don't like, or to get a CB for land they hold.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For some reason one of the counts in my Hispanic empire is Indian, specifically Telugu from a culture on the south-eastern coast of the subcontinent. Another branch of his family, the one in the Canarias, has somehow become Berber. All of them are Catholic.

No idea how they got here.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Saros posted:

Is there a way to move off being a republic? I am now the Amalfi empire which is about two dutchies away from being able to reform the Roman empire and I'm verrryyy sick of accidentally losing control to the other houses.

Murder harder.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FreudianSlippers posted:

For some reason one of the counts in my Hispanic empire is Indian, specifically Telugu from a culture on the south-eastern coast of the subcontinent. Another branch of his family, the one in the Canarias, has somehow become Berber. All of them are Catholic.

No idea how they got here.

The Canary Islands are Berber in vanilla, so I'd assume that branch adopted local culture. No idea about the Telugu dude though.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Got my first Game Over as Laggard of New York. The opening was going smoothly enough, but he died naturally before he could have a kid. Didn't even have the decency to get murdered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Eimi posted:

The solution is to go play EU4 India, read up all events and missions and national ideas you're getting. Half of the ideas in the game are "legacy of" referencing something medieval. You can also see late medieval borders and get an idea what you should be aiming for.

Really it's funny how Crusader Kings 2 has much more impactful historical events (about Shia, Iconoclasm, rise of assassins, crusades, plagues) but there's relatively few of them. And all events are either very personal or world-defining, there's nothing in between that will tell you about a fate of a region.