Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Onean posted:

I said I'd post about this again once things were getting to the wrapping up point, and now we're here. There's apparently just 6 chapters left to be finished up, so if you were interested I'd say it's pretty safe to pick it up. I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Quick recap, since it's been a while.

World of Yggdrasia is an upcoming fantasy VRMMO that looks to be the most realistic yet. The main character is No. 13, a young orphan girl that is one of 100 orphans that make up a secret group of beta testers that are testing out the potential for using monster avatars instead of human ones. Some of the testers discover that there's more to Yggdrasia than they were told, and the MC winds up smack in the middle of the chaos that follows.

As much as I like reading about slavers getting completely hosed...

If I could, I'd do it every episode

...the writing for the humans in this story is so completely and cartoonishly evil that I can't recommend it even by the standards of webnovels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Spoilers, but it's a world that's been taken over by capitalist assholes, our world's capitalist assholes. I find that what's developed from that entirely believable (edit: for a relatively short webnovel). Once the ball gets rolling there are non-lovely humans that show up, but the story isn't about them or some kind of redemption of humanity. It's about a reclamation of the world by a mostly native force. (The MC may be from our world, but the relationship she establishes with her new world is definitely a symbiotic one rather than an exploitative one.)

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 22, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You're right. It's not. For it to be a redemptive story about humanity, the people would have to bear some resemblance to actual human beings.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Timeslipped into Sengoku Era got three new chapters over the past week. In which things get a little Total War: Shogun and the Oda clan take one step closer to their victory condition.

I really like that Shizuko's crossbow doesn't win the battle because it's the bestest thing ever, it's Nobunaga's sharp mind that's the reason they won. Nobunaga turned her warning of what stress is so he doesn't overwork himself into a military strategy all on his own, which actually makes him pretty terrifying.

Where some isekai stories tend to have people overly rely on the MC's knowledge of modern day stuff, this manga does a great job not taking away the importance of the people in the setting.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

7c Nickel posted:

You're right. It's not. For it to be a redemptive story about humanity, the people would have to bear some resemblance to actual human beings.

(There's no plot details behind the bars here, but I go into a little bit behind Apotheosis of a Demon and why I really like it which gives away the direction the story goes. So feel free to skip if you want to avoid that.)

I think they do, specifically the (admittedly exaggerated) darker parts of us. We're capable of a lot of terrible poo poo especially when we're not aware of what we're doing, whether it's through incidental or forced ignorance. It doesn't take much looking to find it here in real life. We just have a lot of experience in what it looks like and what ultimately happens under it so there's a lot of fighting against it.

This isn't an evil army of some kind looking to destroy the world. Apotheosis of a Demon is the last, desperate struggle from a world being slowly strangled to death by a humanity that has lost it's ability to empathize, and cathartically (for me, at least) ruining those responsible for taking it away or those that exploited it's absence. (That makes it sound darker than I found it, though. Our MC isn't a shining beacon of good, she becomes a Demon after all*, but I wouldn't call her an antihero either. The same goes for the rest of the world. Humanity isn't the only force on Yggdrasia, and not every human stays ignorant.)

Maybe it was just the catharsis of seeing representations of real life atrocities getting what they're due when a lot aren't getting it here in reality, but I really like Apotheosis.

*A note about this author's demons. (There's another, longer series that Apotheosis is tangentially connected to.) They aren't really evil just for evil's sake. They're a natural part of the universe, serving as a violent pressure valve that reduces humanities vices when they get too extreme.

I'm not specifically trying to change your mind with this or anything like that. You don't like Apotheosis, and I'm not saying you should. I just think there's enough to like that I would be sad if someone else interested skipped it if I didn't explain a little more in depth why I liked it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

where should i start reading the kumo desu ga light novels if i'm caught up on the manga

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

From what I understand the manga skips a lot of parts in the LN so to follow the whole story you'd have to start from volume one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also isn't the manga fairly slow-paced?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Thus far the manga has skipped the chapters from the POVs of <spoiler>the classmates reborn as humans</spoiler> but I doubt it'll do that forever. In the LNs they mostly serve to break up endless spider grinding. I assume a later volume will be mostly from that POV instead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wark Say posted:

It's the most glacial thing I've ever read

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Stairmaster posted:

where should i start reading the kumo desu ga light novels if i'm caught up on the manga

You have to go all the way back to the start of volume 1. The manga only covers Kumo chapters, which are half the story. The other half of the story follows a bunch of other students from that classroom who also reincarnated in that world, but mainly Shun and his little gang.

The Shun chapters are deliberately written as a counterpoint to the Kumo chapters, so they don't quite work on their own. You can skim over the Kumo stuff because the manga covers it pretty much line for line, so just refresh yourself on how Kumo is doing in her chapter before you get back over to Shun.

Also, feel free to be exasperated at what an idealistic little twerp Shun is because of his incredibly sheltered and privileged upbringing.

Wark Say posted:

If you mean the rate it's being made, yeah, it's pretty slow.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah be prepared for how lame all of the characters on the shun side of the story are. Its to break up the pacing, but those chapters are so bad.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah be prepared for how lame all of the characters on the shun side of the story are. Its to break up the pacing, but those chapters are so bad.

The boredom is what makes those chapters work. Those characters are on easy street and they don't even know it. You'll get a chapter where Kumo is struggling to teach herself magic, then a chapter where Shun goes to magic class and picks it up with no effort whatsoever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They're a nice break from Kumo grinding the gently caress out of things. They also do some worldbuilding that Kumo's perspective can never do due to how antisocial she is. Heck, the bit where she's spying on the human town through her skills kind of illustrates how little she cares about what people do. She's at least a bit curious but she doesn't really care what people are doing and why. Shun can't not care and also isn't antisocial, etc.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Adams posted:

If you mean the rate it's being made, yeah, it's pretty slow.

Meanwhile, the original WN is coming up on a year since the last update.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Bakanogami posted:

Meanwhile, the original WN is coming up on a year since the last update.

I think that's a case of stopping deliberately before reaching the ending. The light novels are up to volume 11 in Japan, and they haven't even caught up to the web novel yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't blame the author for not wanting to write two different versions of the same story.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I actually really dig the Shun and others chapters. Thought it was really cool how the stories linked into eachother, though was disappointed with the direction things took much later on, got a bit too silly.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Kumoko light novel also starts going off the rails around the point where the manga is now.
It's basically a different story that occasionally picks up elements from the web novel (unlike the beginning, which was mostly the same with slight editing)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I started burning through it this morning and there are only like a dozen side chapters up to 75 or so (beginning of middle labyrinth). If you heavily skim the spider chapters just to keep an idea of where she is in relation to Shun then its pretty fast. Like others said, the main point seems to be illustrating how easy life is for a human, but also how spider girl is more powerful having lived a life away from “common sense”, for example the apprasial skill. The side chapters are nice break from the constant monolouge, its a shame to hear they get silly later on

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Tamba posted:

The Kumoko light novel also starts going off the rails around the point where the manga is now.
It's basically a different story that occasionally picks up elements from the web novel (unlike the beginning, which was mostly the same with slight editing)

So which one is better now?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

ianmacdo posted:

The light novel has way more polish. It improves the pacing while also fitting in some new characters and plot lines. The only advantage the web novel has is that there's a ton of it. The end of volume 6 will get you about halfway into the web novel. You can't just drop from the light novel to the web novel, though, because major plot lines start diverging around volume 4.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ianmacdo posted:

I'm reading volume 10 right now, and it's definitely the LN version.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
ugh didn’t realize i was reading the WN and the good translations i found ran out

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

amigolupus posted:

Timeslipped into Sengoku Era got three new chapters over the past week. In which things get a little Total War: Shogun and the Oda clan take one step closer to their victory condition.

I really like that Shizuko's crossbow doesn't win the battle because it's the bestest thing ever, it's Nobunaga's sharp mind that's the reason they won. Nobunaga turned her warning of what stress is so he doesn't overwork himself into a military strategy all on his own, which actually makes him pretty terrifying.

Where some isekai stories tend to have people overly rely on the MC's knowledge of modern day stuff, this manga does a great job not taking away the importance of the people in the setting.

Wow this manga is pretty good. I think I would like it a lot better though if it wasn't using a real world setting though. There's something weirdly masturbatory about adding your OC-do-not-steal self-insert character to real life historical time periods and having them guide historical events.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

sunken fleet posted:

Wow this manga is pretty good. I think I would like it a lot better though if it wasn't using a real world setting though. There's something weirdly masturbatory about adding your OC-do-not-steal self-insert character to real life historical time periods and having them guide historical events.

As amigolupus said, this one's particularly good because she never guides events so far - it's all been minor pushes mostly taken from people observing her.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oh hey, looks like there's another update to the Sengoku Timeslip manga. I'm digging Nouhime's addition to the cast. She and Nobunaga have a fun dynamic, being more like friendly business rivals than a married couple.

It's really satisfying how quickly Nobunaga's figured out that Shizuko's not from their world based on his questions and knowledge of what Nanban is like. Maybe he'll think she's from the heavens rather than the future? I can see Shizuko using her wish to ask Nobunaga not to pry any further.

sunken fleet posted:

Honestly, the only fanwank here is how Nobunaga is the coolest, most badass fucker ever. :v: And that's not even a unique thing in this manga, given how some other Sengoku-inspired series treats him. Shizuko's determined to see how far Nobunaga can go with his goals, but she's not telling him the really history-changing stuff like details of what happens during the Sengoku era.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Oda Nobunaga Is a real interesting and divisive figure in Japanese history! On the one hand, he was very much in favor of adopting whatever Western knowledge may improve the life of his people and was (if I'm not wrong) much bigger on equality than most other feudal Lord's of the era, he even had a black guy as a retainer, Yasuke.

On the other hand,he was really quick to up the brutality on anyone willing to fight him, and his disregard for tradition made him an outcast in tradition obsessed Japan.

Ultimately, he is as Loved as he is Hated, nevermind that he lost and his opponents (the descendants of whom still have a lot of money and power in modern Japan) spent centuries demonizing him (sometimes literally)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Clarste posted:

You should know by now that in-universe excuses aren't very compelling in this thread.

Anyway, it was just the juxtaposition of the title and the actual content of the first arc that made me raise an eyebrow.

Late reply, but: It's no Shield Hero, but I see where you're coming from in a world where that kind of writing is commonplace.

In the two recent chapters of Cheating Men Must Die, she is finishing destroying the other woman and anyone close to her (by using the emperor's jealousy and insecurities), and is moving onto getting the emperor killed. "What use is there for keeping the cheating bastard alive still? To provide sperm?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

S-Rank daughter updated.

Took me a while to figure out who that was at the bar. I'm dumb. I didn't even recognize the AAA ranked girl at first, I was so lost.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/719613/1

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

RareAcumen posted:

S-Rank daughter updated.

Took me a while to figure out who that was at the bar. I'm dumb. I didn't even recognize the AAA ranked girl at first, I was so lost.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/719613/1

This is one of the best fantasy mangas, I love it :3:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

There's only two chapters, but A Mild Noble's Vacation Suggestion is pretty good

https://mangadex.org/title/39550/a-mild-noble-s-vacation-suggestion

its also the gayest thing ive ever read

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

There's only two chapters, but A Mild Noble's Vacation Suggestion is pretty good

https://mangadex.org/title/39550/a-mild-noble-s-vacation-suggestion

its also the gayest thing ive ever read

lol at the description, like puh-leaze i can see the cover art right there I know what this is about

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So, the male counterpart of Yuri bait.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Shun chapters are better than Kumoko chapters IMO, which mostly just consist of a ludicrously overpowered spider gaining fake game stats and killing monsters (after the brief-ish period early on when she's actually weak).

The Shun chapters actually depart the most from typical isekai tropes in that, while they're occurring, we're aware that the characters involved are not that strong compared with the big players in the setting. Also Shun is an actually good guy, which is unusual for an isekai protagonist.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

not BL
no thanks then

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Shun chapters are better than Kumoko chapters IMO, which mostly just consist of a ludicrously overpowered spider gaining fake game stats and killing monsters (after the brief-ish period early on when she's actually weak).

The Shun chapters actually depart the most from typical isekai tropes in that, while they're occurring, we're aware that the characters involved are not that strong compared with the big players in the setting. Also Shun is an actually good guy, which is unusual for an isekai protagonist.

100% this. I do think the story's much better for having both of them, but I do prefer the Shun ones.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

100% this. I do think the story's much better for having both of them, but I do prefer the Shun ones.

I do get tired of the stats in the Kumoko stuff. It's never been the main appeal to me personally and Shun engages with the system in a more natural way than Kumoko.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I never read the other ones because I just want to read about a cute spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think that one's perception of each part is heavily dependent on familiarity with isekai tropes. I've frequently seen the opinion that the Shun chapters are "stereotypical isekai," and I'm pretty sure those opinions are ironically coming from people who haven't read other contemporary isekai WNs. Similarly, someone unfamiliar with said tropes might not notice them in the way the main protagonist is kind of callous and overpowered (though the twist with her is a good one, and Kumoko benefits from distributing its focus among a bigger cast).

I should add that I'm only speaking for the WNs. I don't know how or if the Shun stuff was changed in the LNs.