Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been struggling with the whole time. Like I only know one native Korean, not all that well, she’s a woman from a country with gender roles a good 50 years behind the US (yes I know they have had a woman president), she’s spent roughly 50% of her life in the US, and she’s still pretty drat blunt by American standards, so maybe Aesis just comes across worse than he is due to cultural and language differences. Or maybe he is a rude passive-aggressive goon. I can’t tell.

The other side of the coin is that if I went full "my cultural norms are how I am going to judge everyone", I would think that at least half the people in this thread are dangerous sociopaths who needed to be committed yesterday.

--fake edit--

:hmmyes: actually maybe I should do that :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Please understand that this reads as "the company needs to spend a lot of time on complaints against me, so they're planning on letting me finish my project before they let me go. I heard about this so I'm playing stick in the mud and am refusing to do the work to defend my job. If you don't like it I'll talk to my lawyer."

I’m not sure why I need to repeat myself that the company is trying to get rid of me unlawfully, and is breaching several labour laws in the process too. Another thing I’m pointing out again is that I’m working in Korea in a Korean company. I get that in the USA the labour laws are very lax (compared to Korea), but in Korea they aren’t once you become a full time worker who spent 2+ years in the same company.

The laws were made due to mega corps doing these prior, and they abide by the laws now that the laws are in place.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Aesis posted:

I’m not sure why I need to repeat myself that the company is trying to get rid of me unlawfully, and is breaching several labour laws in the process too. Another thing I’m pointing out again is that I’m working in Korea in a Korean company. I get that in the USA the labour laws are very lax (compared to Korea), but in Korea they aren’t once you become a full time worker who spent 2+ years in the same company.

The laws were made due to mega corps doing these prior, and they abide by the laws now that the laws are in place.

As I understand it, you believe that they're trying to do a "constructive dismissal" - make your work environment so hostile that you quit. Yes?

The question I have is who is "they"? The three people who filed possibly false sexual harassment complaints? The company itself? If the latter, why? Is it just because you've been there for two years and they want to cut you loose?

If you're such an indispensable part of the team, the reasonable assumption is that they wouldn't boot you out for simply being there for a long time. So there's got to be some reason for you to be targeted like you believe you are being.

And if you believe you are being targeted for a constructive dismissal, have you filed your own complaint with whatever governmental body handles that poo poo?

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Xarn posted:

The other side of the coin is that if I went full "my cultural norms are how I am going to judge everyone", I would think that at least half all the people in this thread site are dangerous sociopaths who needed to be committed yesterday.

FTFY

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Can't speak for Korean work culture (though at least a few of the Koreans I worked with in Japan were rude about Japanese office culture in the same way that I was) but I've worked for Japanese, British, and American companies and all 3 work cultures have things that were normal that'd get you fired in the other two places, AND I'm aware of just how many Japanese companies break the employment laws there (where you have to sue the company to get them to stop breaking the law, but they won't fire you for suing them?) so nothing that Aesis has said has seemed even unlikely let alone beyond belief.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The new department head decided we were having a potluck lunch today and sent out invites to everyone last week. Every single one of us except her forgot to bring anything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Weedle posted:

The new department head decided we were having a potluck lunch today and sent out invites to everyone last week. Every single one of us except her forgot to bring anything.

Leaders shouldn't be organizing potlucks IMO.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sickening posted:

Leaders shouldn't be organizing potlucks IMO.

True. The concerns about how management will perceive a worker if they don't want to bring anything in to the potluck can be amazingly overwrought.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

That's why I signed up to bring drinks. At least I can just zip out for five minutes to the supermarket down the street and grab something. I'm not a nice enough person to spend my free time cooking for my coworkers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

5er posted:

True. The concerns about how management will perceive a worker if they don't want to bring anything in to the potluck can be amazingly overwrought.

If you want to have food for your employees for team building, your company should expense it. Potluck is just pushing the bill to your employees and that is just sad.

If your employees want to organize a potluck on their own, fine and good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Oh my god I should totally submit an expense report for the drinks. Lol

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Today's adventure is buying cheap media converters instead of just asking AT&T to give us an ethernet handoff, or buying firewalls with SFP modules...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If you’ve ever worked in an office of a reasonable size then you should know there are always cliques who want to get people they don’t like fired or otherwise make their work lives miserable. I’ve worked for people like that before and it is absolutely hell, especially if you don’t have any other options.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Made a 'snort of disbelief' type noise in a meeting earlier and am going to be spending the rest of the day wondering how loud it was and if anyone heard me.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Fool posted:

Made a 'snort of disbelief' type noise in a meeting earlier and am going to be spending the rest of the day wondering how loud it was and if anyone heard me.

Better start polishing up the resume now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

I laughed out loud about a year ago during a call with my boss, his boss, and his bosses boss. The higher up said something about a future devops project and how great it was going to be, I was involved in testing, and I knew it was a mess and when he said it, I just make one big laugh noise.

My incredibly cool boss just looked at me. After the meeting he pulled me back and just looked at me and basically said "come on man what was that". I almost leaped out a window.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Our CEO once said--during an all-staff meeting--"you know that movie Office Space, where they have the banner hanging up saying 'Is This Good for the Company?' That's what I want you to think about while you're going about your day," and one of my coworkers--who assumed he was joking--was the only one in the room to laugh out loud at it.

I think it would be much better for us as a company if he had actually been joking.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The whole point of Office Space is to make fun, in a M*A*S*H kind of way, of tech companies and if you are referring to it unironically you are automatically a bad boss.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My company is having a “Office Space” themed day for customer service week next week. I asked my coworkers if that meant coming in 15 minutes late and getting 3 minutes of work done.

...in the slack channel that the supervisors are in rather than our designated griping group chat. :doh:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Write every [email/slack/skype/etc] message like management can read it. Because they can.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s an open secret that everyone is dissatisfied, I don’t care if they snoop to see the channel where literally all but one of the techs are talking about job hunting. It’s just more polite to make them look for it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Fool posted:

Say it was a stifled sneeze or cough

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

old school datacenter man posted:

"In each of these case it involves creation of 10+ Jira tickets with complex dependencies for usage and generating tickets from a complex standpoint."

What. How are you ok with a 10+ Jira ticket process for *checks notes and cries some more* building a manual VM in AWS. These loving people are going to give me a stroke. We already told them we're working on a unified pipeline with automation to define a single process for development to deploy their services but I'll be god damned if I don't find 6-8 more layers of weird architecture and process poo poo going on every day like this.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Windows. Please. System Image Manager validated the god drat answer file with 0 issues. Why is Windows freaking out about it?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Write every [email/slack/skype/etc] message like management can read it. Because they can.

This depends heavily on what flavor of Slack they're buying. Once legal gets involved, that's a different story, but...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
My four year old can flush the toilet. Why can’t my adult coworkers?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bigass Moth posted:

There has been poop found in our hallway .... on multiple occasions. C'mon devs!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Virigoth posted:

There has been poop found in our hallway .... on multiple occasions. C'mon devs!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: Literally in the hallway. C'mon devs!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bigass Moth posted:

I see I'm not the only one having to clean up after my adult coworkers after they've pissed everywhere. JFC, I'm the youngest and I'm 40. There's no excuse except that they're disgusting assholes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

Uuuugh, so much this. How hard can it be to take an extra couple of seconds to give the toilet another flush if it didn't fully empty the first time? There's only 9 guys in this office, it's not going to take Columbo to figure out which of you is the filthy one.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

Uuuugh, so much this. How hard can it be to take an extra couple of seconds to give the toilet another flush if it didn't fully empty the first time? There's only 9 guys in this office, it's not going to take Columbo to figure out which of you is the filthy one.

The answer is all of them.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We have a couple of big big loaders who seem to have it timed for both 0800 and 1200 to blow up the single toilet with 45 people on our floor.

A flight of stairs up it’s a 3 player head-to-head affair, but, no gently caress that they’ll just wreck the toilet sometimes requiring intervention right when everyone comes in or goes to lunch.

I can see the DILLIGAF against the employer but this just is an assault on your fellow man.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Nemo2342 posted:

The urinal flush handle is at hand height and within easy reach. And yet.....

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Virigoth posted:

There has been poop found in our hallway .... on multiple occasions.

What the gently caress

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Virigoth posted:

We had a huuuuge lady one time and there was a turd near her desk on the floor.

Theory is she pooped and it got caught in her sweatpants and rolled out on her way back to her desk

She was so large she got a dress code exception

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Recently I had been up a lot with the baby and was pretty weary at work and let out a tremendous yawn right when SoO was giving a spiel. I wasn't trying to be intentionally rude lol

Maybe they're buying me a building and spinning my division off just to separate us hah.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Better start polishing up the resume now.

This feeling peaked around 4:30 yesterday, but the brainworms have quieted down to a low background noise again.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

What the gently caress

Seconding this notion.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Used to work with a person who I guess had ibs? They would bring their laptop into the bathroom and wfs (work from stall). Literally in the shitter for like 4 hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Used to work with a person who I guess had ibs? They would bring their laptop into the bathroom and wfs (work from stall). Literally in the shitter for like 4 hours a day.

Hate to be the guy who got their laptop after they quit