Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lemming posted:

I have literally no idea what teh gently caress is going on anymore. I don't even know what an IG really is.

Internal independent-ish oversight for, uh, more or less each federal agency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just to add on to igchat: For people interested in a primer on the role and structural position of IGs, CIGIE’s website is a good resource (they are essentially a coalition of almost all the IGs in the us govt). https://ignet.gov/content/about-igs

Amazingly IGs have retained a very high degree of political independence. I wouldn’t be surprised if after the IGs rip this admin apart the next set of authoritarians will do their best to neuter or dismantle them. I’m sure soon we’re going to see a lot of yelling about them being Obama-appointed political hacks and try to make people question their independence.

This is exactly what IG's are for, they honestly rate the internal workings of the executive branch departments they oversee and call bullshit on overactive exectives. I've never seen one go over the administrator political appointee, but I'm sure it's in their mandate.

e: I wonder what happened prior to 1978 to make all these new oversight laws 🤔

quote:

Per the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended, the Inspector General's mission is to:

Conduct independent and objective audits, investigations and inspections
Prevent and detect waste, fraud and abuse,
Promote economy, effectiveness and efficiency,
Review pending legislation and regulation, and
Keep the agency head and Congress fully and currently informed.

ewiley fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 2, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OAquinas posted:

So the IG just summoned up EIGHT committees immediately, for some big development at the Dept of State.

This is either going to be: Pompeo threatening staffers who cooperate with congress, or something related to Ukraine surrendering.

Either way, big bomb dropping tomorrow (that we may/may not hear details on) and an exceedingly high likelihood that Pompeo is hosed.

I’ve been out of touch today: what do you mean by “Ukraine surrendering?”

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1179155998067564546

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Someone should do the math on how much water it would take to build a trench across the border and keep it filled year-round. The Rio Grande runs dry for stretches and that entire area suffers from water shortages due to how much water gets diverted for farming and human consumption.

You’d also have to probably have alligator breeding facilities and disposal sites to replace all of the dead alligators.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

evilweasel posted:

Literally that. They're pulling out military forces from the occupied eastern/southern areas, leaving Russia's forces unchecked and effectively annexing the territories.

Not normally a DoS IG area of purview, but if something underhanded about the military aid not materializing was run through Pompeo then it might be relevant.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Been a while since anyone checked in on The Caravan. That still a thing?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Rabble posted:

Pompeo is going to prison based on this alone.

Pompeo is in Italy right now and I guarantee won't be coming back to the US if there's a threat of any action against him. He might as well be holed up in Russia with Snowden by now...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Slowpoke! posted:

Someone should do the math on how much water it would take to build a trench across the border and keep it filled year-round. The Rio Grande runs dry for stretches and that entire area suffers from water shortages due to how much water gets diverted for farming and human consumption.

You’d also have to probably have alligator breeding facilities and disposal sites to replace all of the dead alligators.

This is his solution to the homeless problem.

an AOL chatroom posted:

They're alligators now.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

an AOL chatroom posted:

It's not politically useful at the moment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OAquinas posted:

Literally that. They're pulling out military forces from the occupied eastern/southern areas, leaving Russia's forces unchecked and effectively annexing the territories.

Not normally a DoS IG area of purview, but if something underhanded about the military aid not materializing was run through Pompeo then it might be relevant.

Do you have a link?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

an AOL chatroom posted:

There is always a Caravan.

And due to vastly reduced quotas, there's always a line at the border.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Okay wait

things are just moving too drat fast

what is this about Ukraine "surrendering"

edit: okay

that's also oof

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 2, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

OAquinas posted:

Latest Ukraine Clown Posse update:

Ukraine is surrendering to Russia for unknown reasons.

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1179067720941408260

Guessing Trump had too many riders on those aid packages?

evilweasel posted:

Do you have a link?

I'm not sure this is what people think it is. It's more about allowing elections in the area, a major concession, but still Ukraine is insisting Russian troops leave as well

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

OAquinas posted:

There is always a Caravan.

And due to vastly reduced quotas, there's always a line at the border.

They mostly appear around elections, like a human El Nino.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay wait

things are just moving too drat fast

what is this about Ukraine "surrendering"

PM of Ukraine announced they're withdrawing troops from some of the regions Russia invaded, basically not contesting Russian control anymore

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

an AOL chatroom posted:

It will be back 6 months before the 2020 election for sure.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

...well, maybe it will & maybe it won't. :gritin:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

I'll be damned, Hillary made me laugh.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

An overly pessimistic read of this:
https://twitter.com/fabrice_deprez/status/1179067186406666242

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

eke out posted:

I don't think the IG would really have any role in this scenario, from my understanding of how it works.

an urgent briefing on the political situation re: the ukraine/russia conflict would be from an under secretary or assistant secretary or something, not from an investigative watchdog whose job is purely internal affairs of the state department

This is accurate, based on my prior experience. 2nding the CIGIE recommendation; they're good folks.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Seriously this, I mean, jesus gently caress

You just know this is the attack Trump’s going to use against them, too

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

OAquinas posted:

So the IG just summoned up EIGHT committees immediately, for some big development at the Dept of State.

This is either going to be: Pompeo threatening staffers who cooperate with congress, or something related to Ukraine surrendering.

Either way, big bomb dropping tomorrow (that we may/may not hear details on) and an exceedingly high likelihood that Pompeo is hosed.

What if Pompeo/ Trump actively sold out Ukraine to the Russians? Holy poo poo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
How the gently caress is it only Tuesday?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ewiley posted:

I'm not sure this is what people think it is. It's more about allowing elections in the area, a major concession, but still Ukraine is insisting Russian troops leave as well

Thanks. Looks like it could be a big deal but it seems like people are still figuring out what exactly is going on?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TulliusCicero posted:

Wouldn't put it past Trump to do that in retaliation for them being part of the phone scandal.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
How is there still poo poo happening?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

ewiley posted:

Yeah, I'm sure with Russia's recent record those elections will be only slightly more accurate than the Anschluss

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

TulliusCicero posted:

What would that even look like?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1179173387924578309

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1179173387924578309

so uh lot goin on tomorrow

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

nah, the war has been in a quiet stalemate for a while now and the new president of ukraine, zelensky, had said before he was elected he would try to end the war by negotiating with russia. this probably isn't the exact outcome he wanted but it's clear now that russia's proxies control the area and nobody can help ukraine do anything about it, putin basically won

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mummy Xzibit posted:

How is there still poo poo happening?

I'm obsessing over this poo poo to an excessive degree and I can't keep track of it. How the hell is the average Joe supposed to be informed on any of this?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Thanks. Looks like it could be a big deal but it seems like people are still figuring out what exactly is going on?

The mostly likely outcome is status quo. It's not the first time the particular sort of negotiation has happened; and until Russia starts actually pulling back troops, it's likely to
fall apart in days like the previous instances.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

I'm obsessing over this poo poo to an excessive degree and I can't keep track of it. How the hell is the average Joe supposed to be informed on any of this?

The majority of republicans don’t even believe trump mentioned Biden on the call lmao

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What would that even look like?

Ukraine reeling from Russian attacks, reliant on NATO/US aid, US president starts making insane demands and witholding aid and supplies, SecState acting as an intermediary and suggesting a "peace" plan that ends the nightmare via "mutual" capitulation and elections. Russia gets what it wants and no more military hardware tied up/operational expenses.

Just spitballing. I'm sure that's divorced from reality.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1179064839597109249

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

only vaguely related to things in the news today (what with meghan markle suing the mail and all), but i just learned that the guy who owns the daily mail (jonathan harmsworth) went to duke. as if you needed another reason to hate duke

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What is happening now?! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

:getin:

Also, poor Schiff getting the asterisk treatment.