Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Vox Nihili posted:

I guess that guy never made it into legal practice for obvious reasons, but he works at SoFi (student loan refinancing service/bank) now as some sort of senior manager. So ultimately Toona is still on track to follow his trajectory, just gotta choke that chicken and he's there.
It's nice to know that we can still count on the quasi-banking industry to have less ethics than us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

It's nice to know that we can still count on the quasi-banking industry to have less ethics than us.

the only thing that limits the greed of the investor class is regulation. there is no such thing as ethics.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Evidence supposed to start today. Instead we’re pleading out after a pretty obvious case of witness tampering. Not gonna lie. I hope the judge rejects the offer. Yeah. Good chance I’d lose at trial. But it would make opposing counsel upset to have to postpone his return to Florida.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ActusRhesus posted:

Evidence supposed to start today. Instead we’re pleading out after a pretty obvious case of witness tampering. Not gonna lie. I hope the judge rejects the offer. Yeah. Good chance I’d lose at trial. But it would make opposing counsel upset to have to postpone his return to Florida.

https://youtu.be/fKIwj1TQmFs

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Would have been a tough case to prove given victim’s sudden change of statement. The day before trial. Not corroborated by anyone.

Wow. Defense counsel is lucky. It’s amazing how many times he finds new witnesses or becomes aware that witnesses will change their position 24 hours before evidence starts.

Wish I had that luck.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

What was the charge?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Went from assault 1 to assault 3. Knifed a guy in the neck and face.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
https://twitter.com/abc/status/1179066978956402688?s=21

Seems the judge was protecting the record

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Or, as naive defense counsel are wont to call it, "following the law."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I took part in some protected concerted activity today.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I took part in some protected concerted activity today.

Good for you

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Lol Devin Nunes

https://mobile.twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/1179155052407218182

Believes in his claims so much he never filed in an anti-SLAPP jurisdiction.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I'm planning a trip to the US next year and I'll probably spend most of my time in South Carolina. Is it worth me taking a few days to visit Savannah GA to check it out or nah? I'll probably also spend a few days in California because otherwise the trip from Melbourne to Charleston is like 31 hours and gently caress that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why would you chose to go to SC

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Staying with family. We'll also hit up NY.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Whitlam posted:

Staying with family. We'll also hit up NY.

CA, SC, and NY in one trip? Ambitious.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

CA, SC, and NY in one trip? Ambitious.

CA isn't really a choice because it's generally where you fly into from Australia, and I'd rather do a couple of days there with family friends than a solid 31 hours on planes. SC and NY is family and Savannah is a couple hours drive from where I'll be in SC but I don't know enough about whether it's worth visiting for a couple of days. Although Google Maps says I'd drive through places with names like "Coosawatchie" and "Switzerland" so it's feeling worthwhile for that alone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Whitlam posted:

CA isn't really a choice because it's generally where you fly into from Australia, and I'd rather do a couple of days there with family friends than a solid 31 hours on planes. SC and NY is family and Savannah is a couple hours drive from where I'll be in SC but I don't know enough about whether it's worth visiting for a couple of days. Although Google Maps says I'd drive through places with names like "Coosawatchie" and "Switzerland" so it's feeling worthwhile for that alone.

my impression of savannah is the only good reason to visit there is if you have an army and need to quash a slaver rebellion

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

my impression of savannah is the only good reason to visit there is if you have an army and need to quash a slaver rebellion

it's a great town if you like architecture and want to get New Orleans drunk at a more sedate pace.

Has a great art school.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Wander around in the tropical humidity in the late dark hours, experiencing Lovecraftian horror noir barefoot amidst the damp wisteria.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Charleston and Savannah are overrated

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Charleston is awesome.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Both are wannabe New Orleans

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol Devin Nunes

https://mobile.twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/1179155052407218182

Believes in his claims so much he never filed in an anti-SLAPP jurisdiction.

Waiting for someone to file a federal anti-SLAPP act called the Negating Unserious Notices of Ethicless Suits Act, or NUNES Act for short.

I'm sure there's a better acronym. I'm trash at them.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Savannah and Charleston are both really pretty cities that are worth checking out if you wanna see some antebellum architecture and eat some good food. If you have time I'd say go for it, but really that would only be if you're getting tired of Charleston or specifically have something you want to see.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Savannah and Charleston are both really pretty cities that are worth checking out if you wanna see some antebellum architecture and eat some good food. If you have time I'd say go for it, but really that would only be if you're getting tired of Charleston or specifically have something you want to see.

If you're looking for the American Deep South experience, it's going to be pretty much the same in both cities.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Come to Texas and I'll take you to go get BBQ I'm not joking

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Happy to point to good food and drink in NY.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Cheers for the advice everyone. I've definitely got time on my side which helps for planning. My other dilemma is timing, and whether I stick around for Thanksgiving or leave a week before. I've never done Thanksgiving before so there's definitely a part of me that wants to. Of course, all of this assumes a) there is a United States next year and b) foreigners will be allowed in.

blarzgh posted:

Come to Texas and I'll take you to go get BBQ I'm not joking

Is there good BBQ chicken? Do wings count or are they a whole other thing? That's the only meat I eat.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

Is there good BBQ chicken? Do wings count or are they a whole other thing? That's the only meat I eat.

You're no longer welcome in my state

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Whitlam posted:

You deserve to suffer the Carolinas

Also yea there’s pretty good bbq Chicken in Texas. But there’s also even better Mexican chicken in Texas

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The best bbq is in Mexico and it is generally made with sheep or goat and occasionally beef.

That said texas has good brisket and some passable barbacoa places.

I'm going to Jalisco (bee) next January and I'm getting so fat.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

blarzgh posted:

You're no longer welcome in my state

You're not even the biggest state, don't @ me

EwokEntourage posted:

You deserve to suffer the Carolinas

For so many things.

Not gonna lie I'm excited to try pumpkin pie and key lime pie. I don't even like pumpkin, I'm just curious.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Those are strong pies, though both wish they were pecan pie

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lmbo

https://twitter.com/elainaplott/status/1179234987624800256?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good luck with the lawsuit to stop congress from investigating.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
He said Jaw Suit, not Law Suit, Rudy is going to turn into a Street Shark to fight corruption.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

He said Jaw Suit, not Law Suit, Rudy is going to turn into a Street Shark to fight corruption.

Just another example of Fake News by the pro shark media.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

You're not even the biggest state, don't @ me

Arrest for treason??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Real Talk: Texas is Beef;Beef is Texas

Going to Texas to try the Chicken is like going to Italy to try the Croissants. For iconic southern cuisine, Texas is beef, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia are probably fried chicken and 'Southern Food' in general, Louisiana is Cajun, and the Carolinas are going to be pork.

Edit: Florida is Meth