Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

Update on the fragged 2012 forester motor:

Dealer has the engine apart.

Jeezus Christ.

Full rebuild, new short block, new cams, valves, I think pistons and rods too.

what the hell did she do to it lol

"it made a funny noise" yeah i bet it did.

What's that little ring come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Valve spring retainer, I think.

STR posted:

Wait what?

Why not just throw a used longblock at it instead of all of the :10bux:?

(and what happened? broken timing belt, money shift, or severe overheating?)

FB25's are rather loving rare because a: they were short-run and b: they had oil consumption/starvation issues. So there's an enormous demand for long blocks and you don't know how hard it got wailed on or how dry on oil it was, so they need a rebuild anyways or you might just be doing it all again in six months.

The best I could find a used pull was $3400 plus $300 freight, and I'd be on the hook for $30/day for the 40 days my spouse has had a loaner, plus more tows, etc.

There was a class action lawsuit that Subaru settled on these, they extended the drivetrain warranty from 60 to 100k. Even with that, I had to lawyer up and shout at Subaru of America to get the $2000 that they're throwing towards this, because I didn't get dealer oil changes so obviously im lying about changing the oil.

It's a timing chain motor, so the hope is that with the updated rings that they developed after the recall it's got a few hundred thou ahead of it.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 26, 2019

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My EJ255 Saabaru is at 130k miles and feels significantly down on power, or at least accelerates slower, than it did a year or two ago. I know cars lose ponies over time, but this is fairly dramatic and noticeable. Any possible causes besides age and drivetrain wear?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god where to start, do a compression test. You could be getting blow by with worn out rings. Might as well replace the plugs as well, Subaru's like eating those. Make sure injectors are clean and clean or replace your air filter of you don't do so regularly. This is assuming nothing is straight up broken and don't have any engine lights. If your engine is on its original timing belt/water pump/main seals, consider doing a front end service.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

My EJ255 Saabaru is at 130k miles and feels significantly down on power, or at least accelerates slower, than it did a year or two ago. I know cars lose ponies over time, but this is fairly dramatic and noticeable. Any possible causes besides age and drivetrain wear?

Weak coilpacks?

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

blk posted:

Everyone else is lying to you, just crank teh b00st until it feels factory fresh

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Would you like to trade for my 240k EJ205? :v:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

blk posted:

If there are no other symptoms like misfires, stumbling, oil use, it could be boost related. Do a boost leak test if you can. Here’s a really quick and dirty guide for a low pressure test which will find anything major:

If you don’t have a big leak, then maybe the turbo is not making boost for whatever reason. See if you can monitor it if you have an Accessport or Tactrix. Maybe the boost controller is dead and you are only seeing watergate pressure. Might be time for a turbo rebuild?

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

So I just got a 2016 Legacy off Carvana. Is the starlink system as bad as its rating on the app store would suggest? Is that really the only way to get any features on the big touchscreen it has?

deadkiller615 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 1, 2019

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

deadkiller615 posted:

So I just got a 2016 Legacy off Carvana. Is the starlink system as bad as its rating on the app store would suggest? Is that really the only way to get any features on the big touchscreen it has?

Yeah it pretty much sucks. I just stick to bluetooth audio and ignore the rest.

If you want something nice consider going the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto route.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

deadkiller615 posted:

Yes, it's loving terrible

quote:

If you want something nice consider going the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto route.

That poo poo is nice.....? Nope it's staying the gently caress outta my car

DrChu
May 14, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That poo poo is nice.....? Nope it's staying the gently caress outta my car

What is wrong with Carplay/AA? The interface is about 100 times better than the stock Subaru infotainment and the sound quality is better than Bluetooth since it’s a wired connection.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Carplay/AA can be run wirelessly, though I don't know if any OEMs have embraced it yet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

Carplay/AA can be run wirelessly, though I don't know if any OEMs have embraced it yet.

Only BMW, Mini, and Audi do the Apple one, and BMW will charge you yearly for the privilege.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
There are some aftermarket head units with wireless AA/Carplay, but they aren't cheap. The last time I looked into wireless AA, you had to jump through a few hoops to make it work on non-nexus phones.

Risky
May 18, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

Really? I see them everywhere. I live in southern NH.

They have a pretty wide demo. 20’s-30’s male professional who wants something more fun than a Civic. Girl who wants something sporty and cute. Track-day guys (there were a bunch at every track event I went to in the last few years).

It’s like a Miata but needs far fewer sacrifices to live with.

Edit:beaten like a second hand BRZ

I was on the fence between a BRZ or WRX and turns out the BRZ is alot more expensive to insure.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DrChu posted:

What is wrong with Carplay/AA? The interface is about 100 times better than the stock Subaru infotainment and the sound quality is better than Bluetooth since it’s a wired connection.

Google and Apple. They can stay the gently caress out of my car

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have a Clarion AutoPC that runs Windows CE

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is there a good aftermarket stereo that can use the gps system that is installed on my car already, as well as a backup camera?
I have a '15 brz and the head unit pretty much sucks poo poo, but I do like having the map (which has a larger screen than my phone) open when I'm going somewhere.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Unless you leave your phone at home, they're already there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

EightBit posted:

Unless you leave your phone at home, they're already there.

Its actually not that hard to do as well.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Android Auto is much better than it used to be and Waze is amazing to use as your main navigation. Has saved me from countless tickets already.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have a couple of other Saabaru questions:

Power steering pump is leaking but I'm having a hard time finding illustrated/video instructions to replace (I've already tried the gasket trick). Do I need to drain/flush/refill the fluid to do this job?

I'm beginning to get 3rd to 4th grind in the 5MT, just a few times in the past month, but it's concerning. I'm running OEM gear oil. Would switching to a different oil help any? I'm skeptical of the different cocktails out there. I recently had a clutch and flywheel job (they couldn't find another dual mass flywheel and replaced with single mass). Would this (or the TIC/Kartboy holy shift combo) be at all culpable for losing the synchro? I have no power mods.

I've done radiator, clutch and flywheel, and AC replacement all in the past year. I wish I had sold this car a year ago; maybe it's time to do so now.

blk fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 3, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Try shifting at a slightly higher speed. If I shift a little below 3k rpms, I get the occasional grind. Sometimes a reminder to change my engine and trans mounts.

Or just use the clutch. Also the flywheel shouldn't have an effect on your grinding.

AC. Lol. When mine goes, I'm just deleting the compressor and all the components that don't require hours of digging. Ahhh, Colorado.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Any recommendations on where I can buy a remanufactured head for an EJ255? My '05 LGT is starting to act up, misfires on cyl 2 consistently enough to set the CEL a couple times a week. Last time it was a burned valve, but I don't have time to redo it myself and have the car down for a week. I suppose 217k miles on an EJ is pretty good for only eating two exhaust valves.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Are there any differences between the EJ25 in an auto 03 Forester XS and the EJ25 in a 03 auto Legacy GT?
Pls help quick before my friend sobers up

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

PitViper posted:

Any recommendations on where I can buy a remanufactured head for an EJ255? My '05 LGT is starting to act up, misfires on cyl 2 consistently enough to set the CEL a couple times a week. Last time it was a burned valve, but I don't have time to redo it myself and have the car down for a week. I suppose 217k miles on an EJ is pretty good for only eating two exhaust valves.

I usually buy a spare set of heads and bring them to a machine shop to rebuild.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

daslog posted:

I usually buy a spare set of heads and bring them to a machine shop to rebuild.

That's my backup plan. But that involves finding a used set of heads, which apparently aren't easy to come by in MN. Hopefully I can find a pair in the next month or two.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bonelessdongs posted:

Are there any differences between the EJ25 in an auto 03 Forester XS and the EJ25 in a 03 auto Legacy GT?
Pls help quick before my friend sobers up

Aside from GTs typically being turbo'd?

The '03 Foresters had EJ251s.

The Legacy GTs for '03 had an EJ20X or EJ20Y.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine

Either way, the LGT is not an EJ25.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 4, 2019

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The '03 Foresters had EJ251s.

The Legacy GTs for '03 had an EJ20X or EJ20Y.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine

Either way, the LGT is not an EJ25.

In the US I don't think LGTs were turbo until 2005. Pretty sure power train wise they were identical to non GT Legacys, so EJ251.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I think only the jdm Legacy GTs used the ej20x/y no?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well balls. Good to know, I suppose.

Google confirms I'm an idiot.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 4, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
We only got a 2.0L turbo in the 02-05 WRX.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not in America lol

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone know anything about Subarus having problems with the rear differential? I just had my 2013 Impreza in for 100,000 mile service. I'd been noticing a little louder noise from the back end in the last week or two. The mechanics said the noise is from the rear differential. They flushed and changed the fluid and said it was definitely due for a change. Whether I had missed that the last time I had it in for major scheduled maintenance (at 60K) is another issue and I'll have to check my service records. But the mechanics were pretty mystified and were asking if I'd been driving crazy (I hadn't) and whether the car had been involved in a collision (it hadn't) because, as they said, you just don't get differential damage at 100K of normal driving. They said they were going to look into whether Subarus had a problem with this, and my Google searching hasn't come up with anything.

It all reminded me of an older Subaru I had when I was much younger and much less careful about maintenance. At some point it went from AWD to front-wheel drive only, which the mechanics told me was due to some failure of the rear differential. So now, two Subarus and two differential problems, though under very different circumstances.

With my current car, they said it might not get worse and it might be okay, but if it's not the repair is going to be super expensive. So I'm worried and trying to figure out if this is my fault or if I can blame bad luck or a design flaw.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have never changed the rear diff fluid in like 250k of Subaru miles (spread across 3)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I think I last changed mine about 20k or ago. It's past 240k now and it's never had any issues aside from the drain plug getting chewed up.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

All right, that makes me feel like I'm less potentially to blame. I'll just have to hope that my rear diff isn't hosed or getting worse.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Can I join the club?

Picked up a beat up 2003 Outback, 2.5 auto. Leaks plenty of oil, but runs well. And hey, $2000 car with working AC, all 4 tires match (both brand and wear). Timing belt has about 50k left on it, new OEM alternator, new battery.

GF said it gives a small puff of smoke if I stomp it from a stop, but otherwise saw nothing. The head gasket issues on the EJ253 are generally external leaks, right? ..... right? :ohdear:

Carfax shows a strong maintenance history up until about 100k (it has 142k), which is when maintenance entries stop (second owner probably took it to mom and pop places for maint, or did their own, if I had to guess).

So uh.. what fluids need to be changed, and where? This is babby's first Subie, and I'm just going to assume that only coolant and oil have ever been changed. And I'm only assuming coolant has been done because the timing belt was probably done a few years ago (only proof being a Gates sticker on the timing cover, with mileage written on it - and assuming the shop did the water pump with the belt).

e: it looks like it's "prewired" for the autodimming mirror according to a VIN decoder. Where would that wiring be, tucked up in the headliner? Does it have a plug already? I found a mirror with compass and autodimming for $35 (looks like I may also need a different bracket?)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I understand that it's a limited edition, but the new STI going for 63K is obscene.