Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

I honestly like how the Arrowverse handles that power discrepancy between friendlies, as an aside. You've got the Green Arrow and his crew, The Flash and his crew, and a ship of outright goddamn time travelers, and they're very happy to collaborate, but it's established pretty early that even for The Flash it's not a totally effortless trip, and for the most part they just get in each other's way when dealing with each other's problems so it's best to just keep distance unless poo poo really hits the fan.

There are a lot of instances in Arrow and Flash where they should definitely be calling their friends for help but can't because it's not a crossover. And the only reason it's not effortless for Barry is because he can only move at a maximum speed of whatever the plot requires. He's literally moved so fast that time was standing still several times and only once was that shown to be an exceptional effort - the other times he just did it for the hell of it. On other occasions he's run to the other side of the planet in a matter of seconds to pick up some food or other inconsequential things. But then when he needs to run super fast to actually beat a bad guy his speed is suddenly capped much lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, not only did they leave in Otacon pissing himself when confronted by the Ninja, but he manages to find some reserves and piss himself a second time in the same scene a minute later. This game is literally perfect

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I hear Death Stranding is building on that whole pissing concept.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Unrestrained by budgets or morality, Kojima was finally free to create his magnum opiss.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
She pees through her skin.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When you pee on the ice cubes they all melt independently

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Different foods affect your pee and each one has a unique codec call with paramedic and sigint.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

After being burned by the repetition of Ubisoft fare and the increasing laziness of Bethesda I'm somewhat surprised at how well the open-world aspect works in Borderlands 2 (Yes I'm late). You have entire zones with their own arcs that are completely optional like Lynchwood. Basic fetch-quests are livened up by stringing them together with a recurring cast of quest-givers. There are Challenges unique to each zone giving them personality. They got a lot of mileage out of basic FPS interactions; giving you missions where you rob a bank, re-enact a Fistful of Dollars, raise a pet, and attend the world's saddest birthday party.

Compared to the complete afterthought that was Alduin in Skyrim it's refreshing to have a focused and fleshed-out narrative that is simply about killing this one annoying guy. They managed to subtly retcon all the disparate elements from the plotless first-game into a satisfying narrative. Instead of trying to tell this mystery about this mind-blowing secret in a box like LOST, it's better to tell the more interesting story about the conflict between two parties over said box.

Unfortunately the Gearbox of 2012-2014 is not the Gearbox of now and I'd hesitate to buy anything with Randy's mitts on them barring a big-rear end sale. I doubt a single person spanked off to the cast of Battleborn, much as Randy wishes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Trying to describe or listen to the plot of any Borderlands game feels like the onset of a hangover.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

1stGear posted:

Unrestrained by budgets or morality, Kojima was finally free to create his magnum opiss.

Dare you enter his magical realm?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The first thing I did in Soul Calibur VI was create some characters, and they are actually entered into the pool of Random fighters and have a chance of showing up. The one you use for the Sword Master Mode or whatever will also show up in the main Story Mode. I was trucking along in the main narrative as Killik and suddenly Waluigi shows up swinging Asteroth’s axe. Good stuff.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MGS Portable Ops is really the runt of the litter when it comes to the series. However, if you jump through a couple of kinda complicated and time limited hoops in the game you can recruit MGS3 CODEC buddies Paramedic and Sigint, and they have a weirdly huge amount of stuff to say if you contact them by CODEC

https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Portable_Ops_radio_conversations

e.g.

quote:

Para-Medic: Hey, have you ever heard of "Planet of the Apes?" It's a movie. You've never seen it? These astronauts crash land on an unknown planet where humans are ruled by talking apes. The apes put collars on humans and treat them like cattle. So the main characters make friends with a smart chimpanzee and escape, but at the end, they come face to face with an unbelievable reality. I can still remember the shock of seeing that last scene. The author of the original novel, Pierre Boulle, was taken prisoner by the Japanese Army during World War II. Some say he based his book on that experience. If we humans keep waging war with one another, one day our civilization really might collapse, and we'll become lower than apes. I hear there are monkeys living in Colombia. Watch out or they might take you prisoner.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

e.g.

quote:

Para-Medic: Hey, have you ever heard of "Planet of the Apes?" It's a movie. You've never seen it? These astronauts crash land on an unknown planet where humans are ruled by talking apes. The apes put collars on humans and treat them like cattle. So the main characters make friends with a smart chimpanzee and escape, but at the end, they come face to face with an unbelievable reality. I can still remember the shock of seeing that last scene. The author of the original novel, Pierre Boulle, was taken prisoner by the Japanese Army during World War II. Some say he based his book on that experience. If we humans keep waging war with one another, one day our civilization really might collapse, and we'll become lower than apes. I hear there are monkeys living in Colombia. Watch out or they might take you prisoner.

Nice to see that Francis York Morgan is still getting work after the whole red seed thing wrapped up.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nice to see that Francis York Morgan is still getting work after the whole red seed thing wrapped up.
[/quote]

There is supposed to be a second one coming out (for SWITCH) :catdrugs:.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Squidtamer DA posted:

My original plan was to drag all the tomatoes from the pub over but that's a long waddle. This will have to do instead.

https://twitter.com/SquidtamerDA/status/1178064242752151552

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just collected all the pages of the first comic in Hot Lava. It's pretty funny
It's a parody of Stranger Danger stories where a kid is playing in the park and a shady guy offers him ice cream out of a van. Hazard, the hero in the boiler suit, tries to warn him, but he brushes him off as he doesn't speak preferring to gesture instead, with "Well Hazard, gotta go. My mom told me never to talk to strangers and I don't know you that well...". Then Hazard gets desperate, attacks the van only to see a sign that says "Dark Van Ice Cream Company" and the shady guy's all like "Oh no, my summer job!"

I thought it was cute.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kennel posted:

In the original release it was just (a part of) lazy dlc, but the later versions made it unskippable. :downs:

It was all very strange I played the original game before the DLC came out and when you got to that point theres a cutscene where your handlers tell you the data is corrupted so they'll need to skip ahead. It was so blatantly to fit in DLC they ran out of time for, more than usual.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vic posted:

I hear Death Stranding is building on that whole pissing concept.
Swear to god if the piss shrooms can recharge your batteries

I don't even know if Death Stranding has batteries

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't even know if Death Stranding has batteries

Standard lithium batteries have been replaced by babies in jars

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Qwertycoatl posted:

Standard lithium batteries have been replaced by babies in jars

Pain in the rear end to find AAA babies in jars for my remote sometimes.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i've been playing Outer Wilds the past few evenings and i love how the way the game gives you information means a lot of the chaotic confusing moments you start with turn to nice, beautiful little moments as you figure everything out.

this isn't super spoiler-y (probably the first half hour of the game for most people), but i'm gonna tag it anyway because going in blind is way better:
the whole premise is that you're an astronaut in a groundhog day-type time loop, and every time you die you wake up outside your rocket ship ready to start again. my first few loops, i found myself deep in some cave when suddenly everything would go white and i'd reset, and i couldn't figure out what i kept doing wrong.

one of the planets you can explore is mostly hollow, and you can get to an observatory but you need to make some harrowing jumps through a decaying city that's slowly crumbing away into the black hole at the planet's core. when i arrived, i found notes from ancient scientists that finally put some puzzle pieces into place: all those times i reset weren't because i had accidentally killed myself somehow, it was because the sun exploded in a supernova and destroyed the solar system.

the timing was so perfect that as this all dawned on me, i turned and looked out the observatory's dome to see the sun collapse and then burst outward. there was a calm, satisfied moment of understanding as i watched the other planets be consumed by light, and seeing my character's home planet get swallowed up was strange and bittersweet because i realized it wasn't just me dying in these loops, it was every character in the game—but they'd be back in about 30 seconds because i was next.

i've had a bunch of moments like that where the timing seems so good that it feels like it has to be on purpose. not in a "you arrived at [x], so [y] happens" sort of way—more like the devs created environments where things like that happen regardless of your presence, then designed the puzzles to get you there just in time for cool stuff to pop off while you explore a new space.

i'm really enjoying this game a lot.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It is really, really relaxing to sit there and stare at the Sun at the end of a playthrough. Great OST.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Midway through Batman: Arkham Knight, Batman locks Tim Drake up in a secure holding cell with no way to communicate out.
Then the 100% completion secret ending of Batman: Arkham Knight has Bruce Wayne + his manor blowing up.
Was Tim Drake mentioned as or shown as being released from that no-comms secure holding cell before the 100% completion game ending explosion?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Outer wilds is aiming for GOTY, no doubt

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It's an incredible game. It's tiny little solar system gave me an infinitely more enjoyable sense of discovery than No Man's Sky's infinite universe of nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

Midway through Batman: Arkham Knight, Batman locks Tim Drake up in a secure holding cell with no way to communicate out.
Then the 100% completion secret ending of Batman: Arkham Knight has Bruce Wayne + his manor blowing up.
Was Tim Drake mentioned as or shown as being released from that no-comms secure holding cell before the 100% completion game ending explosion?

Uh, he's kidnapped by the Scarecrow. It's literally the entire reason the ending happens.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I really liked Outer Wilds but man the achievements really killed it for me. Landing on the Sun Station is one of the hardest things I’ve done in a game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man I keep reading about Outer Wilds but I'm never quite sure enough to check it out. It sounds brilliant but with a good chance of it just not working for me, I love Majora's Mask but it's about the only exception I can think of to stress overwhelming my enjoyment of games designed around countdown timers.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Throughout my entire life I’ve had recurring dreams of beholding natural disasters from afar, only for the thing I’m watching to slowly gain momentum towards me, getting closer and closer and waking me with a start when it hits. On the (similarly early game spoilers) storm planet Giant’s Deep, when I first landed I got that exact same flash of momentary existential dread I get from my dreams when being slowly engulfed by a giant twister and tossed into space. Similar feeling again during the sun event of course, too.

I’ve really been enjoying playing this game sparingly, like maybe one night a week or so, unlike most games which I pretty much binge and power through. It’s fun to re-read the computer hints, reacquaint yourself with the solar system and start exploring again. Perfect game for playing with headphones on and lights off.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Wolfenstein the New Order: BJ has a comedic character moment at the start of Chapter 4, where he struggles to figure out how to use a coffee maker.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My one problem with Outer Wilds is that there's a lot of reasonably challenging execution in it so despite it playing a lot like "Myst but you have a space ship" I can't recommend it to my non-gamer dad who likes Myst and space ships.

Definitely my personal GotY so far, though.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
My problem with The Outer Wilds is they didn't change the game enough from the alpha release like four years ago so I knew all the planets already.

Back in my day though it didn't have an ending.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Putting some proper time into EDF 5.0, because apparently playing games ive owned forever is what I do after buying 2 brand new switch games.

Also not sure if a 30 target homing laser is a 'little' thing, but i thought it was awesome.

https://youtu.be/EfG90vVONG4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Perestroika posted:

That's also something that's oddly endearing about Gears 5. Early on you meet Baird, who throughout the series has morphed from a slightly techy soldier to basically head scientist of the whole government. So at this point he's basically the stereotypical balding scientist in a lab coat trading insults with the AI he made, except he's also still a huge slab of beef because Gears gonna Gears. :allears:

He wears his nerd glasses like how he wore his dumb goggles lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I decided to impulse-load My Time At Portia (I've been looking for a game to relatively-mindlessly zone out playing) and between the last time I played it and now, they've added contrast options into the video settings. The one thing that really annoyed me was how bright and washed out (not sure if that's the right term for low-contast) everything was. A shadowy cave didn't have blacks, it had mid-level greys. Even changing the ambient brightness didn't really make an appealing visual.

But now? I can set it to about half of what it's normally set at, and it's a lot less frustrating to look at.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Hitman 2 has a special achievement for causing a stock market crash and then shoving your target out a window. A good reference to Black Thursday lore and the your reward for pulling it off is that you can exit the mission area by jumping out a window.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That bank level is great, top notch stuff. The resort that they just released is a lot bigger but is kinda lacking in those small details that makes the good Hitman levels great.

Like, I’d take a level like Whittleton over a sprawling mess of nonsense like Colombia any day.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I keep reading about Outer Wilds but I'm never quite sure enough to check it out. It sounds brilliant but with a good chance of it just not working for me, I love Majora's Mask but it's about the only exception I can think of to stress overwhelming my enjoyment of games designed around countdown timers.
Weirdly enough I couldn't finish Outer Wilds due to stress, but it had nothing to do with the countdown timer. The problem I had is that dying, no matter where you are, transports you back to the same starting location at the beginning of the loop. So any time I needed to make a simple jump over a pit or do something that required evading a hazard, it stressed me out, because if I failed I'd have to fly all the way back from the starting planet to the planet I was on, get back to wherever I was, and then try to do the same thing again (and potentially fail again).

It sucked because I loved the sense of discovery and exploration in the game, but the same atmosphere means you have to do some experimentation with less than perfect information, in an environment where if you gently caress up you now have to repeat the last 15 minutes to get back to whatever you were doing. I don't blame the game for not having a quicksave, because it would have been a technical nightmare with all the poo poo going on every loop, but I feel like if I'd had that option, it would have relieved so much pressure and let me finish the game.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

RyokoTK posted:

That bank level is great, top notch stuff. The resort that they just released is a lot bigger but is kinda lacking in those small details that makes the good Hitman levels great.

Like, I’d take a level like Whittleton over a sprawling mess of nonsense like Colombia any day.

Yeah, the three-target assassinations are all too big. Both of them have very cool aspects to them (parallel quests for the same item in the resort, the town in Colombia being clear enough to navigate intuitively if you're looking for a specific kind of item) but one of the targets should have been cut to tighten up the levels.

The bank is probably my favorite modern Hitman level, but I'm also just a sucker for heists as a concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mumbai is a three target level and that one is great. It’s really just Colombia and Maldives that feel a little bloated.

You’re still basically right anyway because Colorado is the single worst map in either of the Nu Hitman levels and has four targets for no good reason at all.