Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh wow those are cute as hell. I'd never have the patience to make the same cardigan twice - I barely have the patience to make a second sock. Nice work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That's so adorable, I love it :kimchi: Did she help pick the colors?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Midnight Sun posted:

I made matching cardigans for my daughter and me. Pattern is Sorbet Cardigan from Mille Fryd, yarn is Drops Air.

So cute!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, guys! :)

FelicityGS posted:

That's so adorable, I love it :kimchi: Did she help pick the colors?

I actually had a lot of yarn left over from different projects, so I just supplemented with the beige and yellow. She saw me knitting the one for myself, and promptly announced that she wanted one just like me. So I apparently have the taste of a 6-year old.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014
Speaking of MKALs, is anyone doing the Great British Baking Shawl MKAL?

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-great-british-baking-shawl

I bought the yarn for it from KnitPicks. It might be fun, or I'll just have a lot of yarn for something else.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Those sweaters rule!

I haven't tried a different MKAL than a couple Westknits, and I don't watch a lot of British Baking shows, but maybe that would be a way to hook my daughter in to knitting finally. She loves the GBBS but when I taught her to knit, she quit after like 4 rows. Maybe we just need a goal to work towards.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

icehotels posted:

Speaking of MKALs, is anyone doing the Great British Baking Shawl MKAL?

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-great-british-baking-shawl

I bought the yarn for it from KnitPicks. It might be fun, or I'll just have a lot of yarn for something else.

Just bought the pattern and some yarn for it. I love GBBS and knitting, sooo...

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST
Apr 2, 2008
Have any of you sold/destashed yarn on Ravelry? An acquaintance is trying to offload a literal garbage bag full of Koigu PPPM.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST posted:

Have any of you sold/destashed yarn on Ravelry? An acquaintance is trying to offload a literal garbage bag full of Koigu PPPM.

Yes. List a price with it but don't be surprised if you get lowballed few times. Just wait and someone will want it at your price.

It can take a while to get a buyer. So far I haven't been burned but I am sure it's mostly luck.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Tell them to try the Koigu group as well as general destash groups, too. Most brand groups have an iso/destash thread and someone would be thrilled to snap that lot up.

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST
Apr 2, 2008
Thanks guys! I’ll pass on the info. I’m knitting some socks and gloves with ~FREE YARN~ right now.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Latest FO! A jumpsuit and a hat for a baby boy.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That's super cute!!

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
e: double post

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 2, 2019

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
http://imgur.com/a/v3YcXEY

I knit this worsted weight blanket pattern, and I love how it turned out...but wow it took forever. Never again.

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 2, 2019

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

ButtsFromTheSky posted:

I knit this worsted weight blanket pattern, and I love how it turned out...but wow it took forever. Never again.

This is absolutely gorgeous! Nice work!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

ButtsFromTheSky posted:

Never again... until you want another one. It's very awesome!

I made a big fingering weight cardigan and swore never again. I am queueing up patterns for a new one!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

ButtsFromTheSky posted:

I love it, that's so good

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
-----

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 24, 2022

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

ButtsFromTheSky posted:

Beautiful!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How would y'all feel about a gang tag contest? Is that something that would spark some interest?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gang tag contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903115

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I finished the Great British Baking Show mystery knit-a-long. The wool is from Miss Babs and was really pleasant to work with. I have to give it a little blocking and weave in all the ends but. It was a fun knit with enough going on to pay attention to.

I also finished Wingspan but I haven't blocked that yet, so no pictures. The yarn from Blue Brick took six months to get to me, but it was worth it and I loved working with it. Totally would order from them again once they're not dying under Ibis colourway. :v:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

That's really pretty, Sehkmet! :)

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

I made some hats for my family for xmas

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
-----

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 24, 2022

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
The write-up was really cute, there's a couple recipes in there, and the pattern was really easy to follow. Really enjoyed the knit. You can still get the pattern through Ravelry I think if you want to give it a go yourself!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 4, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In place of your first link, which is outdated/misleading (everyone wants to make koala mittens, but koalas don't need mittens), I would use this one https://m.facebook.com/groups/2414894225229792?view=permalink&id=2920337934685416

Note that most of the items needed are sewn and some are crocheted. There are only 3 things that can be knit. It's important not to knit when sewing is called for because they don't want animals' digits to tangle between the yarn.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This is a rather odd question I admit, and only incidentally related to knitting, but I imagine if anyone can help me with this question they would be posting here. I was looking at some old documents recently and noticed something odd. There are a lot of pre-20th century items that get described as being stuffed with "horsehair," or made from horsehair felt, with horsehair generally defined as the hairs from the tail and mane of a horse. This surprised me since obviously a horse does not have a lot of tail hair, so it should be very expensive and thus quite rare.

With a little digging I found that a lot of what is conventionally referred to as "horsehair," is often in fact not from horses at all. Instead it is the fur or hair of cattle and pigs "curled" through processing, and used in place of the more expensive material. Here's something describing the use of these substitutes:

Back in the thirties and probably earlier, the US was producing and consuming a lot of what gets called in these documents "cattle hair felt." You can still buy cattle and swine hair mixes on Ali Baba, sometimes still described as horsehair despite the same description being up front about the actual animals it came from.

So I guess my question is what is cattle or pig or horse hair felt like? I was under the impression that in order to make felt, you had to use the soft undercoat of an animal. That the stiffer outer guard hairs, which I was under the impression were similar in form to the short fur of most conventional breeds of dog/pig/cow/horse. Are they only used in furniture because they can't hold together for other purposes?

Bit of an obscure topic I know, but if anyone who has used their dog hair in knitting or felting projects has input I bet it'd be relevant.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It didn't feel good. I have no direct experience, just reading old novels where people would complain about horsehair pillows/upholstery being prickly, from hairs working their way through the covering. From the description given and from what I understand, it wasn't felt in the way we think of felt; it was still separate hairs, which provided the resilience.

Dog hair in spinning/knitting projects is only long soft hair afaik (think huskies). I don't think you could do much with short/wiry hair because the staple isn't long enough. You could draft it with something longer, but it would be miserable.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Squalid posted:

This is a rather odd question I admit, and only incidentally related to knitting, but I imagine if anyone can help me with this question they would be posting here. I was looking at some old documents recently and noticed something odd. There are a lot of pre-20th century items that get described as being stuffed with "horsehair," or made from horsehair felt, with horsehair generally defined as the hairs from the tail and mane of a horse. This surprised me since obviously a horse does not have a lot of tail hair, so it should be very expensive and thus quite rare.

With a little digging I found that a lot of what is conventionally referred to as "horsehair," is often in fact not from horses at all. Instead it is the fur or hair of cattle and pigs "curled" through processing, and used in place of the more expensive material...

Bit of an obscure topic I know, but if anyone who has used their dog hair in knitting or felting projects has input I bet it'd be relevant.

The mattress I had growing up was stuffed with hog hair. My grandmother bought it at auction for my mother when SHE was little, and it was an antique then (it's a rope bed that someone converted to put in a box spring). The bed was an unusual size, larger than a twin but smaller than a full, so it would have needed a custom mattress, but my parents never got one. They did put an cover on it because it turned out I was allergic to the hog hair or maybe the dust mites that made 90% of the filling. I slept on this mattress that was at LEAST 60 years old until I was 19 and went to college. I was so thrilled when I found out the bed in my dorm room was only two years old.

Anyway I made felt out of cat hair once. It was pretty prickly.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

From taking a weaving class in the same space as an upholstery class I know that horsehair felt is definitely still used today in upholstery, but I couldn't tell you whether it's animal hair or a synthetic version.

I think if it's curled, with enough heat and pressure you can felt just about any animal fiber, but I could be wrong.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cool thanks for the input, yall. I bet the tendency of the ends of hairs to poke through seats was a major reason furniture makers loved to use the longest hairs they could find, since longer fibers mean fewer ends. And you can totally still get it, genuine horsehair is actually supposed to spin into great threads and blends well with stuff like alpaca. It's just fantastically expensive. In a lot of furniture from the 20th century forward you'll also sometimes see "rubberized" horsehair, which i think is a synthetic alternative (or maybe partially synthetic?). I suspect unless it is very obvious what it is however, most of the stuff sold as horsehair is in fact from pigs or cattle, unless it is obvious otherwise.

The thing that got me wondering about this is I saw some 19th century athletic padding was supposedly stuffed with horsehair, as well as medieval gambesons. That sounded absurdly decadent, and digging into it i'm pretty sure horsehair often just gets used as a generic term for all unidentified animal hair stuffing.

Incidentally there is one breed of cattle that does make good yarn. It's the adorably fuzzy highland cattle:

similar to huskies, they have an outer and an inner coat. The inner coat is what makes for good yarn, and you can comb it off them once a year just like with a dog.

BonerGhost posted:

From taking a weaving class in the same space as an upholstery class I know that horsehair felt is definitely still used today in upholstery, but I couldn't tell you whether it's animal hair or a synthetic version.

I think if it's curled, with enough heat and pressure you can felt just about any animal fiber, but I could be wrong.

hmm. . . I had always heard it only worked with certain furs that kinda. . . split? into forked barbs. That's why beaver pelts were so valuable back in the day, because their fur was really good for felt hats. I guess this might not apply for needle felting though, only wet felting. I haven't exactly experimented on anything exotic though, so maybe you could manage with whatever if you were dedicated enough.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 10, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The other thing is that while an individual horse might not have too much hair in its mane/tail, there were an absolute shitload of horses.

There's also a pig that you can use for wool, the mangalitsa (although its primary use is meat). One of its ancestors, the Lincolnshire curly coat, really was used for wool routinely.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
A friend and I kickstarted a wool from Mongolian farmers, and yak wool is gonna make such ballin' hats. Is yak wool good for hats?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

A friend and I kickstarted a wool from Mongolian farmers, and yak wool is gonna make such ballin' hats. Is yak wool good for hats?

People make technical mountaineering baselayers out of it so it should be fine

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Anyone have any good baby patterns they want to share? I've got a little one due in late spring and bought a bunch of yarn but finished the projects I found for him, a onesie and a swaddling bag. Now I've got a ton of leftover baby yarn that needs to be used. Only thing I don't want to make is a baby blanket, since my wife wants to make that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

Anyone have any good baby patterns they want to share? I've got a little one due in late spring and bought a bunch of yarn but finished the projects I found for him, a onesie and a swaddling bag. Now I've got a ton of leftover baby yarn that needs to be used. Only thing I don't want to make is a baby blanket, since my wife wants to make that.

Baby Surprise Jacket

February Baby Sweater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Seconding baby surprise jacket, I made my very first one for a friends baby and it is a fast and pleasing knit.