Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Subquestion why make a post like that

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Subquestion why make a post like that

I don't hate my partners, I just don't hate the criminals I deal with. Why would I? Most of them do the things they did because of mental illness, drugs, or poverty. Like I'm really gonna hate a meth addicted burglar for being a meth addicted burglar? Why? Theres no point. It wasn't my house that was broken into.

However, my partner who didn't help me with paperwork or relieve me on time? Oh I've got a personal beef with him. That's hosed up.:unsmigghh:

That doesn't apply to all criminals, of course. The wealthy dude who beat his infant to death, I hate him, even though he probably has a psychiatric issue as well if he's beating children to death. Either way, there are some crimes that are just too hosed up for me to feel forgiving towards the person.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No I mean why tell you to just quit

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Oh. Lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No I mean why tell you to just quit

Consider the source.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's still a valid question though. I just get a bit tired of that kind of posting so rather than get insulting I figure it's better to ask

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's still a valid question though. I just get a bit tired of that kind of posting so rather than get insulting I figure it's better to ask

Pretty sure he (PCM) is just a dick.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

There never seems to be a good time to ask this, either I forget about it or I'm reading the thread because everyone's doing their usual arguments. So hopefully this question comes across as an honest one where I'm looking for your perspective and you're not already burnt out on the subject.

For my local PD, in the last few years poo poo's happened like an officer had their job reinstated with back pay after beating a guy in the parking garage, and a group had been lying about over time and got found out and fired but going their jobs back. I've had a few interactions where I was attempting to help out with something going on in my neighborhood (loose dog one time for instance) and was treated like poo poo from the start by the cop that was responding to it. And the last time one of the good ones talked to my wife and I (city put a park in next to our house so he came by to ask about kids hanging out there late at night), he said to be careful because the majority of the cops don't live in town like he does and basically don't give a poo poo about you.

With all that, why should I think there's anything redeemable about working for that department? (other Chicago burbs seem similar, not to mention the city) It seems like you'd be turning a blind eye on a lot of poo poo in order to do whatever good you could manage in the community.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dum Cumpster posted:

There never seems to be a good time to ask this, either I forget about it or I'm reading the thread because everyone's doing their usual arguments. So hopefully this question comes across as an honest one where I'm looking for your perspective and you're not already burnt out on the subject.

For my local PD, in the last few years poo poo's happened like an officer had their job reinstated with back pay after beating a guy in the parking garage, and a group had been lying about over time and got found out and fired but going their jobs back. I've had a few interactions where I was attempting to help out with something going on in my neighborhood (loose dog one time for instance) and was treated like poo poo from the start by the cop that was responding to it. And the last time one of the good ones talked to my wife and I (city put a park in next to our house so he came by to ask about kids hanging out there late at night), he said to be careful because the majority of the cops don't live in town like he does and basically don't give a poo poo about you.

With all that, why should I think there's anything redeemable about working for that department? (other Chicago burbs seem similar, not to mention the city) It seems like you'd be turning a blind eye on a lot of poo poo in order to do whatever good you could manage in the community.

Honestly, what you describe sounds terrible and so foreign to me that I don't know how to relate to it. I've had negative interactions with the police before, and I had my "acab phase" as a kid as well, but at the end of the day I grew up in a very left-leaning area where the policing tends to be proactive. It's also a bunch of massive departments, so whatever small town boys club mentality seems to be going on in your local PD just can't catch on over here.

I don't know about your local good cops "turning a blind eye", because nothing you described sounds illegal to me. It just sounds like a bunch of dicks who are probably overworked, poorly trained, and improperly supervised. Or maybe they're all evil or something. Either way it sounds like a miserable place to work, and while I may have my complaints about my own department, I know we are generally oriented towards improving the local community (yeah, yeah, insert whatever "all policing is routed in protecting capitalism" complaint here. At the end of the day we all just want everyone- not just cops- to go home safe).

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Chichevache posted:

Honestly, what you describe sounds terrible and so foreign to me that I don't know how to relate to it. I've had negative interactions with the police before, and I had my "acab phase" as a kid as well, but at the end of the day I grew up in a very left-leaning area where the policing tends to be proactive. It's also a bunch of massive departments, so whatever small town boys club mentality seems to be going on in your local PD just can't catch on over here.

I don't know about your local good cops "turning a blind eye", because nothing you described sounds illegal to me. It just sounds like a bunch of dicks who are probably overworked, poorly trained, and improperly supervised. Or maybe they're all evil or something. Either way it sounds like a miserable place to work, and while I may have my complaints about my own department, I know we are generally oriented towards improving the local community (yeah, yeah, insert whatever "all policing is routed in protecting capitalism" complaint here. At the end of the day we all just want everyone- not just cops- to go home safe).

Yeah I didn't mean everyone's helping hide crime every day just it sounds like a real poo poo place to work that I wouldn't want to be a part of. I also have gone from full acab over time to something like there are real problems with policing and we should probably start pumping money into any public services we want to not suck so they can be properly trained and bring in good candidates, but it seems like most departments in my area do their best to keep the public in the acab camp.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah I didn't mean everyone's helping hide crime every day just it sounds like a real poo poo place to work that I wouldn't want to be a part of. I also have gone from full acab over time to something like there are real problems with policing and we should probably start pumping money into any public services we want to not suck so they can be properly trained and bring in good candidates, but it seems like most departments in my area do their best to keep the public in the acab camp.

It probably is a poo poo place to work. But so are most jobs I've done as well. This is the best one I've ever had that paid a remotely livable wage. It's a totally separate issue, but it would be really nice if we could all make an effort to not have awful workplaces. I bet that would go a long way towards fixing the country.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Wasabi the J posted:

So how do we begin to fix this?

As I've been posting for literally years: A federal-level org under DoJ whose sole purpose is to prosecute cops.

Take it entirely out of the hands of locals, investigate and try all of these cases federally, and preferably on CSPAN so everyone can see the evidence, and see every 'blue wall of silence' motherfucker who's willing to lie on the stand to protect a shitbag.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Chichevache posted:

It probably is a poo poo place to work. But so are most jobs I've done as well. This is the best one I've ever had that paid a remotely livable wage. It's a totally separate issue, but it would be really nice if we could all make an effort to not have awful workplaces. I bet that would go a long way towards fixing the country.

Sounds like we agree on most of the topic. Appreciate the replies.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Sounds like we agree on most of the topic. Appreciate the replies.

My pleasure. I hope things work out and if, god forbid, you have to call the cops there you at least get someone who gives a drat.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Chichevache posted:

My pleasure. I hope things work out and if, god forbid, you have to call the cops there you at least get someone who gives a drat.

My wife called earlier in the week because Walmart didn't want to do anything about one of their electric shopping carts having been left in the park. The community service officer (who showed us how to put in our car seats when we went in for that program, another guy who seems to actually care) did a bang up job of getting that cart home :911:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was being facetious when I posted the police boat, but seriously - who else is meant to handle enforcement of speed limits and safe boating practices?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I was being facetious when I posted the police boat, but seriously - who else is meant to handle enforcement of speed limits and safe boating practices?

ElMal

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dum Cumpster posted:

My wife called earlier in the week because Walmart didn't want to do anything about one of their electric shopping carts having been left in the park. The community service officer (who showed us how to put in our car seats when we went in for that program, another guy who seems to actually care) did a bang up job of getting that cart home :911:

I really like the Community Service Officer programs. They're a good middle ground.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And in countries without a CG?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Usually the DNR here, since that's who licenses boats in the first place, but I live approximately as far from salt water as possible.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

(yeah, yeah, insert whatever "all policing is routed in protecting capitalism" complaint here. At the end of the day we all just want everyone- not just cops- to go home safe).

Cops are specifically trained to only deal with certain types of crimes and to leave white collar crime alone. No matter how good of a cop you are, or if you only do go after people that break the law, you aren't doing so evenly. Try arresting a 'small business owner' for wage theft next time they don't pay an employee that's quitting their last pay check, or don't pay overtime.

I mean just look at who you're allowed to kill. If someone is robbing a gas station for $100 bucks and a few cartons of cigarettes you're clear to smoke him and get called a hero. But someone that works their employees 50 hours because its cheaper to do that and not pay overtime than it is to hire one extra employee and pay for his benefits? That dude gets fines. He gets notices in the mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcpcytUnWU

I think this interview really sums up the problem, but replace journalist with cop

"I'm not saying you're self censoring, im sure you believe everything your saying. But what I'm saying is that if you believed something different you wouldn't be sitting where you're sitting"

PookBear fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 2, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Cops are specifically trained to only deal with certain types of crimes and to leave white collar crime alone. No matter how good of a cop you are, or if you only do go after people that break the law, you aren't doing so evenly. Try arresting a 'small business owner' for wage theft next time they don't pay an employee that's quitting their last pay check, or don't pay overtime.

I mean just look at who you're allowed to kill. If someone is robbing a gas station for $100 bucks and a few cartons of cigarettes you're clear to smoke him and get called a hero. But someone that works their employees 50 hours because its cheaper to do that and not pay overtime than it is to hire one extra employee and pay for his benefits? That dude gets fines. He gets notices in the mail.

If the owner is holding them for OT at gunpoint I can smoke him too! If it is necessary since I'm in Cali.

Also, look at some good news coming out of the Bay Area:

quote:

Under a new enforcement program, Santa Clara County will suspend food facility permits for businesses that have stolen workers' wages.
The county is launching a food permit enforcement program to penalize businesses committing wage theft. The county Office of Labor Standards and Department of Environmental Health is conducting the program.
The county will begin notifying businesses in Sunnyvale, Mountain View and San Jose starting this December as part of the first phase of the program. Eventually the program will expand to the entire county.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Santa-Clara-County-Will-Suspend-Food-Permits-in-Wage-Theft-Cases-560963801.html

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Interesting. I'll keep an eye out to see what restaurants start closing soon.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EBB posted:

Interesting. I'll keep an eye out to see what restaurants start closing soon.

Ron Howard: It was all of them.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

If the owner is holding them for OT at gunpoint I can smoke him too! If it is necessary since I'm in Cali.

Also, look at some good news coming out of the Bay Area:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Santa-Clara-County-Will-Suspend-Food-Permits-in-Wage-Theft-Cases-560963801.html

thats a good start but it goes back to my entire point. If someone is selling bootleg cigarettes he gets choked to death. If someone is committing wage theft they get fined and shut down. The point is that while you have control over your own actions, the morality of being a cop is entirely dependent upon those in charge of you. Being a cop isn't a profession. Don't take that as an insult, being in the military isn't a profession either. Neither of them have any real control over their destiny. No matter how good of a cop you wan't to be, its structured to pit you against blue collar criminals are really loving dumb white collar crime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Wage theft is not a criminal matter. It’s a civil matter (typically contract law) between parties.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wage theft is not a criminal matter. It’s a civil matter (typically contract law) between parties.

Weird how one kind of stealing is a criminal matter and another kind of stealing (that by all estimates dwarfs the criminal kind) is not.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

thats a good start but it goes back to my entire point. If someone is selling bootleg cigarettes he gets choked to death. If someone is committing wage theft they get fined and shut down. The point is that while you have control over your own actions, the morality of being a cop is entirely dependent upon those in charge of you. Being a cop isn't a profession. Don't take that as an insult, being in the military isn't a profession either. Neither of them have any real control over their destiny. No matter how good of a cop you wan't to be, its structured to pit you against blue collar criminals are really loving dumb white collar crime.

I mean those NY cops murdered a dude by choking him to death, which isn't something I do so I don't even think that point is comparable.

The morality of being a cop is the choices I make every day when I go to work.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chichevache posted:

The morality of being a cop is the choices I make every day when I go to work.

I should probably expand on this a bit.

Pretty much every person reading this is in some way a cog in the capitalist machine (I really don't know if it is possible to escape it at all without completely leaving the grid). The Target employee who has no say in that actual running of their company is complicit in perpetuating the system as well. That doesn't make them evil or immoral as I view ethics. They dont run Target and while they may perpetuate it by showing up to work each day, the system will continue no matter what actions they take as a cashier or stock worker. All they can control is their individual actions each day and how they effect the world around them.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
You don't have to live the lie

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm gonna devils advocate this and dunk on myself. It's an argument, sure. It's the argument I have to make when taking pharma dollars for science work- I need to eat, and doing ethical work funded from unethical means supports that. Could I take a more ethical job for less pay elsewhere? Probably. But I don't, and that probably makes me an rear end in a top hat. Chichevache is right- if I did not do this work, somebody else would.

We should improve society somewhat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
She got 10 years.

You can go back to your regularly scheduled programming of watching bad cops trying to justify their continued existence.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh cool so she can just write a book and go on dancing with the stars after

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

She got 10 years.

You can go back to your regularly scheduled programming of watching bad cops trying to justify their continued existence.

When's her first parole option?

EBB posted:

Oh cool so she can just write a book and go on dancing with the stars after

"How the police failed to protect me from Black Lives Matter, A Cautionary Tale" by amber guyger?

Edit: watch it have a couple of forewords of "back in my day we could just break into a black mans house and shoot him but i guess you cant just do your job nowadays and its making america dangerous" from retired cops

Stravag fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 2, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stravag posted:

When's her first parole option?

5 years.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
c/o the good tweet thread in pyf

https://twitter.com/ConnorSouthard/status/1179405584866709505?s=19

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cop busts in and starts shooting, i thought it was my own private theater and all these people had broken in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Tay K, a rapper from Texas, was involved in a home invasion that ended with someone dead. Tay K was 16 at the time and didn’t pull the trigger.

55 years.

Whether or not you think 55 years is fair is for you to decide. But when you compare it to Guyger’s sentence of 10 years....