Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm running an Empire campaign - sent Balthasar Gelt down south to purge Clan Skyre and take those sweet, sweet Italian towns. His artillery heavy army was doing quite well up until Ikit made an appearance - pyrrhic victory after a loss and a reload. Nuke in the center of the melee line paired with doom flayers rushing through the hole was... not how I'm used to the AI doing things, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

litany of gulps posted:

I'm running an Empire campaign - sent Balthasar Gelt down south to purge Clan Skyre and take those sweet, sweet Italian towns. His artillery heavy army was doing quite well up until Ikit made an appearance - pyrrhic victory after a loss and a reload. Nuke in the center of the melee line paired with doom flayers rushing through the hole was... not how I'm used to the AI doing things, to say the least.

every single time i'm fighting him i forget he can do that and audibly gasp and say "holy poo poo" out loud when he does

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Can anyone give tips for how I should be using the Under Empire vs just taking settlements? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to just expand underground every where and only take landmarks or what's the best way to go about using it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drop undercities under valuable settlents, like altdorf, gold mines etc, places with huge income, and then farm money off them.

It probably also works fairly well as an army thing against places you don't actually want to take, you can undercity places and use them for food production even if they're not very valuable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Under Empire your way into Athel Loren, coordinate a simultaneous nuking every single goddamn wood elf settlement.

Generally Under Empires are better for gathering food and providing mobility buffs than for income. You have major income boosting hamster wheels in provincial capitals, so instead of using under empires for cash, use them to gain replenishment or movement bonuses. You can also use under empires to spy on opponents and help you anticipate attacks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah having a big undercity population can give you very good food income, which you can use to rapidly develop your territories as you take them, so it can be quite desirable to have a section of the map you aren't looking to capture which you mostly use to farm food from undercities.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Arcsquad12 posted:

Under Empire your way into Athel Loren, coordinate a simultaneous nuking every single goddamn wood elf settlement.

Generally Under Empires are better for gathering food and providing mobility buffs than for income. You have major income boosting hamster wheels in provincial capitals, so instead of using under empires for cash, use them to gain replenishment or movement bonuses. You can also use under empires to spy on opponents and help you anticipate attacks.

This is good advice that applies all the way up to the highest difficulties, provided you get the under-empire spreading quickly enough. Choose a direction where you know you don’t want to expand any time soon, and spread the under-empire vigorously through it to alleviate food pressure and fuel your expansion elsewhere.

Also, simultaneously nuking Athel Loren is harder to pull off than it sounds, because they can and will build detection structures and park detecting heroes there, and as soon as you build the nuke they will throw money at it and destroy the under-city unless they’re basically broke.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah that all sounds great but why not just come back to Ulthuan, cousins?

Delynna of the Laurelorn posted:

We came to these glades in search of the Wythel Trees, and a life far from your courts, your intrigues, your lords in their gleaming towers and the terrible weight of their hand. Generations of Laurëlornalim lived out their days on this far shore, cradled in the shadowed boughs of the lornalim trees, before Caradryel, who called himself a Phoenix King, betrayed us in our hour of need. "Return home, abandon all that you know and love, or be abandoned in turn" - who could dare utter such words and call themselves a King among the Asur? False, false as the counterfeit crown upon his brow.

And what, now, is the protection of Ulthuan worth, cousin? Your shores are aflame, and even the Everqueen's hands must be stained as bloody as any acolyte of Kurnous. No, we are better off here, in the forest we know and love, and which knows and loves us in return, as our fairweather cousins never did once we spurned their isle for the wider world. We will live in the forest. We will die in the forest. And if the forest must burn in the fires of war, then so too shall we, but the flames will stream from the shafts of our arrows like banners, and their fall will set the Old World alight with our passing.

And now I will have to give forums poster Edgar Allen Ho credit for a faction intro.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is all but impossible now because the nuke building adds so much detection. It makes me sad but it makes sense.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
wandering around with captain Barbosa from pirates of the carribean and his one dozen necrofex colossus friends, and purging rats by the thousands

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kestral posted:

This is good advice that applies all the way up to the highest difficulties, provided you get the under-empire spreading quickly enough. Choose a direction where you know you don’t want to expand any time soon, and spread the under-empire vigorously through it to alleviate food pressure and fuel your expansion elsewhere.

Also, simultaneously nuking Athel Loren is harder to pull off than it sounds, because they can and will build detection structures and park detecting heroes there, and as soon as you build the nuke they will throw money at it and destroy the under-city unless they’re basically broke.

And now I will have to give forums poster Edgar Allen Ho credit for a faction intro.

Wood Elves who don't live in an insane murderforest where time doesn't make sense and everything is trying to kill you just seem odd.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah that all sounds great but why not just come back to Ulthuan, cousins?

Sorry too busy applying pointy things to endless waves of humans in their forests :colbert:

Also there are cute rat-friends here who talk funny :3:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've fought a few more battles in these Empire forts and boy howdy are they fun. I am curious, though, how/why archers firing over a wall at something that they cannot see are so drat accurate? Also I would enjoy these fort battles more if the attackers could not flee the battlefield into the fort.

I was loving with Kemmler in the hopes of getting Artois to like me. Instead, they wardec me and send two full stacks of 95% infantry to attack Fort Bergbres. I killed 2,000 treacherous Brettonians in a Heroic Victory in the fort, then annexed them the next turn.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 1, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

How exactly does the detection stuff work? I have one option that says it increases detection to 140% but will result in an army emerging. Does that mean I need to build a few of the negative detection options first? I don't really get that part of the Under-Empire stuff. Like what happens when I hit 100% detection? They just get a notification or is my Under-Empire building destroyed automatically?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

How exactly does the detection stuff work? I have one option that says it increases detection to 140% but will result in an army emerging. Does that mean I need to build a few of the negative detection options first? I don't really get that part of the Under-Empire stuff. Like what happens when I hit 100% detection? They just get a notification or is my Under-Empire building destroyed automatically?
Yes you need to build -detection options if you want to include the larger +detection buildings in your Undercity. If detection hits 100% (note that heroes each passively decrease that by 10% iirc) the other faction gets a notification and can destroy it if they want, which costs a varying amount based on how large the Undercity is. It costs me somewhere between 2-3k usually.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

And, so far as I've seen, once detected it's always detected until destroyed, even if you manage to reduce the value back under 100%.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Yes you need to build -detection options if you want to include the larger +detection buildings in your Undercity. If detection hits 100% (note that heroes each passively decrease that by 10% iirc) the other faction gets a notification and can destroy it if they want, which costs a varying amount based on how large the Undercity is. It costs me somewhere between 2-3k usually.

Ahhh ok, thanks that's really helpful to know. I'm kinda shocked at how little downside there seems to be to Under-Empire. I seeded maybe a handful of cities with +food, +income and the 5% chance to spread and I've got half of the map going now. My income and food production is ridiculous even with 6 full stacks running around. Skaven is just bonkers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

Ahhh ok, thanks that's really helpful to know. I'm kinda shocked at how little downside there seems to be to Under-Empire. I seeded maybe a handful of cities with +food, +income and the 5% chance to spread and I've got half of the map going now. My income and food production is ridiculous even with 6 full stacks running around. Skaven is just bonkers.
Prior to some patches, the UnderEmpire was significantly better, to be honest. And yes, its a very good change for Skaven.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What kind of game bug might result in ikit claw having twelve copies of himself when he's mounted on a doomwheel, which then results in the Lord dying the instant he goes into melee combat?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A loving sweet one!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

What kind of game bug might result in ikit claw having twelve copies of himself when he's mounted on a doomwheel, which then results in the Lord dying the instant he goes into melee combat?

That's clearly just from an experiment that's had unexpected results. Or warpstone based narcotics, either or. Possibly both.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Yeah that's working as intended I think

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

it's warpstone, i don't have to explain poo poo

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The cloning experiment was a complete success!

Unfortunately only one Ikit survived afterwards due to a sudden and literal outburst of backstabbing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was one Ikit riding a doomwheel and a dozen following him on foot. Then he exploded upon contact with a unit of Reiksguard and died instantly.

I've taken him off of the doomwheel until I figure out what I did wrong.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was one Ikit riding a doomwheel and a dozen following him on foot. Then he exploded upon contact with a unit of Reiksguard and died instantly.

I've taken him off of the doomwheel until I figure out what I did wrong.
But you did nothing wrong! Also, what happened to the dozen on foot? Did they explode too?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They all died. Sharing a synaptic link across a dozen bodies somehow amplified the damage taken and the shock killed the other twelve.

(Realtalk I think it resulted in Ikit's health pool being divided making him extremely susceptible to damage, and since he's supposed to be a single entity model, when one died, all died.)

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

All according to plan, yes-yes!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
THIRTEEN ikits?
this... is dark omen!

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
Fighting Kroq-Gar as Khalida without catapults is infuriating. I believe this campaign calls for lizard genocide in retaliation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ikit Claw and his thirteen lucky companions.

Further studies revealed that Ikit Claw had perfected his cloning technique on other Doomwheels as well.

Sadly he had failed to resolve kinks in the device's instant death-kill feature

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
and that's in the OP for now (under the dlc section), good work Arcsquad12 :thumbsup:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

bone napoleon posted:

Fighting Kroq-Gar as Khalida without catapults is infuriating. I believe this campaign calls for lizard genocide in retaliation.

Save up for a casket of souls.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Man I hope they work on turn times for W3. I reinstalled W1 and due to not simulating 127 distinct factions across 4 continents, the turns on my rig are like 20 seconds as opposed to a minute and a half in ME (after deleting a lot of minor factions!) It almost makes up for having to mash r to get my cavalry to charge

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I think I've found out what caused my doomwheel bug. I use the 1.5x unit scale mod for bigger battles and I think the mod messed up the doomwheel single entity scripts or whatever.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Poor Outlook posted:

Man I hope they work on turn times for W3. I reinstalled W1 and due to not simulating 127 distinct factions across 4 continents, the turns on my rig are like 20 seconds as opposed to a minute and a half in ME (after deleting a lot of minor factions!) It almost makes up for having to mash r to get my cavalry to charge

the old world mod is absolutely necessary for ME although obviously youre stuck playing old world factions

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ammanas posted:

the old world mod is absolutely necessary for ME although obviously youre stuck playing old world factions

I really want a mod that puts Teclis in Norsca (with appropriate attrition immunity and climates) and adds a Dark Elf faction down by the badlands. Already got Skaven in the old world, so then you mostly just need to squeeze in lizardmen and you can get a good Old World ME match going

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I upgraded my computer for the sake of ME turn times, because they used to be so long I would wander off and do pull ups and poo poo. Now the turn times are super fast and my muscles have wasted away to nothing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ammanas posted:

AKA the boring and lovely ones :(

I just wanna be a Lizard/rat/mummy and gently caress up the old world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But Clan Skryre is on the Old World map since skavenblight is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Often Abbreviated posted:

I upgraded my computer for the sake of ME turn times, because they used to be so long I would wander off and do pull ups and poo poo. Now the turn times are super fast and my muscles have wasted away to nothing.
Sounds about what a younger version of me would’ve done back in the oorah-koolaid days... Have you heard the good news of nuclear power bonus? J/k avoid that poo poo like the plague