Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A fuckin E63 AMG wagon for 40k? Yeah, that is gold right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Sounds expensive for a pre facelift to me. They must keep their value a lot better in the USA.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Sounds expensive for a pre facelift to me. They must keep their value a lot better in the USA.

Performance wagons like that hold their value insanely well here.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I need to get a new job with a big fat raise, before I can start thinking about stupid awesome purchases like that. I would also, realistically need a house with a three car garage cause I don't think this boat would fit in my "two car" garage.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My biggest regret about my current house is it only having a 2 car garage. At some point we’re going to renovate it and I’ll put dual lifts in. :getin:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Switched to 18s on the RS this track weekend. I really have to wonder why on earth they decided to put 19s on this thing. It drives, rides, and looks better.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KidDynamite posted:

Switched to 18s on the RS this track weekend. I really have to wonder why on earth they decided to put 19s on this thing. It drives, rides, and looks better.

What wheel and tire setup did you go with? My factory 19” forged wheels and Cup 2s are done as of this year, and I’m thinking about going down to an 18” setup next summer. I’d kill for one of the sets of TE37 that got made for our stupid bolt pattern, but I don’t have that kind of money.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I firmly believe just about every hot hatch would be improved by sizing down an inch or two. Our roads aren't glass smooth, regardless of what the manufacturers want to believe.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I firmly believe just about every hot hatch would be improved by sizing down an inch or two. Our roads aren't glass smooth, regardless of what the manufacturers want to believe.

The problem is most consumers that have no clue what effects ride quality think the bigger the wheels the better, it's loving stupid.

I tried to convince my brother he doesn't need 21" wheels on his work truck, that it would ride ten times better and he would have a more affordable and bigger selection of tires if he went to a smaller stock size, and his answer was "but these look cool"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I mean it's a good answer

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

100% agreed. At least with the FiST the anecdotal reports seem to indicate that minus-sizing from 17" to 16" wheels actually improves handling in real-world environments because the additional compliance and decreased unsprung/rotating mass outweighs the loss in sidewall stiffness. Some even run 15" wheels but that's a bit more questionable (though it is definitely the correct size for winter tires).

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

wolrah posted:

100% agreed. At least with the FiST the anecdotal reports seem to indicate that minus-sizing from 17" to 16" wheels actually improves handling in real-world environments because the additional compliance and decreased unsprung/rotating mass outweighs the loss in sidewall stiffness. Some even run 15" wheels but that's a bit more questionable (though it is definitely the correct size for winter tires).

Yeah, I went down to 16" wheels myself a few months ago. Lost nearly ten pounds a corner, it's much comfier, feels much more stable/accurate in the corners, and straight line accel/deceleration feels stronger. I chalk that last one up to a much longer contact patch/way stickier tires, but I'm not a scientist man

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I mean it's a good answer

For a work truck? I don't know about that, he spends way more on tires than he should for a work truck imo but that's his choice.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

For a work truck? I don't know about that, he spends way more on tires than he should for a work truck imo but that's his choice.

A significantly amount of Land Cruisers I've imported originally came with 16s but will arrive with aftermarket 15s. The cost difference for tires alone is close to 75 bucks each wheel, and that includes the tires themselves being larger to 'fill in' that missing inch. This is early 90s stuff so 15 or 16 inch wheels are laughably small in today's world but I don't even want to look up the cost of a KO2 in a 20

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
On my FiST I didn’t even downsize the wheels, just switched tyres from 205/35R17 to 215/40R17 and that made a significant difference to how harsh the ride felt. Looks better too because the sidewall is nice and square with the wheel, plus a bit of extra contact patch due to the width and the tyre not being stretched at all.

I think on any other new car with 19s though I would downsize to 18s for sure, 19s on a road car (especially on Sydney roads) is stupid.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

On my FiST I didn’t even downsize the wheels, just switched tyres from 205/35R17 to 215/40R17 and that made a significant difference to how harsh the ride felt. Looks better too because the sidewall is nice and square with the wheel, plus a bit of extra contact patch due to the width and the tyre not being stretched at all.

I think on any other new car with 19s though I would downsize to 18s for sure, 19s on a road car (especially on Sydney roads) is stupid.

I'd be slightly careful with watching the speedo on a width and ratio upgrade. Going 60 according to the speedometer would actually have you going 63. That's the difference between a comfy ride to work and blue lights in your mirror around here.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'd be slightly careful with watching the speedo on a width and ratio upgrade. Going 60 according to the speedometer would actually have you going 63. That's the difference between a comfy ride to work and blue lights in your mirror around here.

You’re assuming the speedo was accurate to begin with. My Speedo error was about +10% before the change, so it’s still significantly over reading afterward.

Maybe this varies by country but Australian rules say a speedo may over read by up to 10% but may not under read, so it seems that many/most manufacturers just set their speedos 10% over.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

Who gives a poo poo about it being a money pit, loving buy that thing.

Agreed.

Hoovie already bought the most basket case one, so you have a low water mark there.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

You’re assuming the speedo was accurate to begin with. My Speedo error was about +10% before the change, so it’s still significantly over reading afterward.

Maybe this varies by country but Australian rules say a speedo may over read by up to 10% but may not under read, so it seems that many/most manufacturers just set their speedos 10% over.

God I hate car manufacturers sometimes.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

God I hate car manufacturers sometimes.

Our roads are full of people who think they’re dutifully following the speed limit but they’re actually doing 5-10 under so you’re constantly trying to get around rolling roadblocks if you know how fast you should really be going.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
When comparing GPS speed versus the speedometer, every vehicle I've owned except for one read between 2 and 5 MPH slow in factory configuration. My Crown Vic Police Interceptor was the outlier, it read dead on the nose, but that's not surprising as the police models have the factory certified speedo calibration and in the modern era of electronic speed sensors there's not really any reason it would lose its calibration over time.

My FiST currently reads a few MPH low due to slightly oversized tires.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My Leaf is at least 10% off. I always thought they did that because high speeds are absolute murder on range for those cars but same applies to other similar vintage Nissans (Japanese ones at least)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Looking cool is way better then having a functioning spine, come on AI.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My stock (to my knowledge) mk6 gti shows it's actually 1 mph faster than the speedo/cruise control says. Ain't too worried.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

What wheel and tire setup did you go with? My factory 19” forged wheels and Cup 2s are done as of this year, and I’m thinking about going down to an 18” setup next summer. I’d kill for one of the sets of TE37 that got made for our stupid bolt pattern, but I don’t have that kind of money.

I went Konig Dekagram 18x8.5 ET43 and some 245/40R18 Michelin ps4s.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KidDynamite posted:

Let me know how you like those PS4S. The Cup 2s are loving amazing but they are loving expensive and stiff as hell.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Roundup Ready posted:

My stock (to my knowledge) mk6 gti shows it's actually 1 mph faster than the speedo/cruise control says. Ain't too worried.

Where do you get this checked and how much does it normally cost?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Let me know how you like those PS4S. The Cup 2s are loving amazing but they are loving expensive and stiff as hell.

I'm interested in this too because I'm going to need new Summers next year for sure.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
PS4Ses are pretty much the best all around summer tire, although I wonder how much better something like the RE71R is for autocross/track work (and how much faster they wear).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

those look like hypergrams bruh

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

latinotwink1997 posted:

Just from Google maps showing me the speed as I have it on cruise. That or those stupid roadside speedo things that yell at you to slow down. Not exactly high tech, but it's always exactly 1 over what the cruise says.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Huge_Midget posted:

They are the One True Tire. Can't say enough good things about the set that came on my Mustang. Will definitely be replacing with the same when it comes time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

PS4Ses are pretty much the best all around summer tire, although I wonder how much better something like the RE71R is for autocross/track work (and how much faster they wear).

a lot and a lot, but there are a couple of better tires for track work with respect to wear rate and heat tolerance while maintaining similar levels of grip. The A052 is generally accepted to have dethroned the RE71R as being the quickest >=100tw track tire though, I dunno about autocross.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Huge_Midget posted:

I run the PS4S on my Focus ST and I like them a lot for daily and AutoX. Doing occasional (2-3x a year) autocross my last set only lasted ~16k miles though. Have been seriously considering a second set of RE71Rs for AutoX

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

opengl128 posted:

They are the One True Tire. Can't say enough good things about the set that came on my Mustang. Will definitely be replacing with the same when it comes time.

For daily driving, have you heard about our Lord and savior the Indy 500 firehawk

A hundred bucks a corner, stickier than the potenzas that came with my car, and much better in the wet. Also: really drat quiet in comparison to any other tire I've had.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i don't think i plan to buy any high performance street tires that aren't the PS4S for the immediate foreseeable future

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

latinotwink1997 posted:

Pre-GPS I'd just set the cruise with the needle right on 60 on the highway and use my stopwatch between two mile posts.

Now, like Roundup Ready said just pull up a GPS app of your choice that shows speed and compare readings on a straight stretch of road.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

For daily driving, have you heard about our Lord and savior the Indy 500 firehawk

A hundred bucks a corner, stickier than the potenzas that came with my car, and much better in the wet. Also: really drat quiet in comparison to any other tire I've had.
+1

I've had these on my FiST for two years and they're great for the price. Not as good as a Potenza RE-11 or anything like that but a lot cheaper and more daily-able. I'll probably try the PS4S or whatever has followed them next time around but I 100% support the Indy 500s.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

a lot and a lot, but there are a couple of better tires for track work with respect to wear rate and heat tolerance while maintaining similar levels of grip. The A052 is generally accepted to have dethroned the RE71R as being the quickest >=100tw track tire though, I dunno about autocross.

Gotcha. It seems like every other car is running the re71s at auto cross around here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i don't think i plan to buy any high performance street tires that aren't the PS4S for the immediate foreseeable future

Ditto, although I’ve been considering the Indy 500s if I end up getting another daily driver and don’t need to be attacking the corners around Whole Foods at ten tenths.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Good to see the love for the Indy 500 - They seem like a great bang for the buck tire and might be a good solution if I switch to daily/sticky sets to keep my dailies from wearing out too soon. Although I'm currently mad at my car because the loving steering wheel bolt is backing out so my wheel wants to fall off immediately after my 3yr/36k expires so maybe I'll drive it into a loving river

Re: the RE71R vs A052 - the A052 is a 60treadwear and not legal for most SCCA AutoCross classes, so that's probably why you aren't seeing it at AutoX. Bridgestone is pretty big on the 200tw tires, except in the bigger sizes (muscle cars usually) where guys are running BFG Rivals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The A052 is 200tw this year, at least in the US