Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's pretty drat good, although I can tell you were constrained by the assets they gave you.

I can't believe you don't do this for a living.

Thanks man. A producer I've kept in touch with is starting his own distribution company, and I might be doing some editing work for them in the future :)

The Dark Fate trailer contest rules limited the running time for each submission to 1 minute, so working within that time constraint was the bigger challenge for me. The media assets they provided included some stock footage/music to play around with, and the included clips from the film were all from the most recent trailer without the sound effects track.

The rules also stated you can use your own music track—provided you have the appropriate license—so I sourced a really good royalty-free cue that I edited specific for the trailer cut; that made it a bit easier to achieve my goal of conveying a modern-ish suspense/thriller/horror tone to try and push the 'no fate/the future is not set' theme from the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Donnerberg posted:

The rogue T-1000 theory could based on the show. The one in TSCC escapes from containment in the future, goes to the past and starts its own rebel faction. I don't remember if it's explicitly stated, but the initial containment implies they can't be trusted.

What I really regret not getting in TSCC S03 was more on the liquid metal faction.

^^ nice trailer. Leave 'em wanting more is the #1 most ignored rule of promotional media.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

mllaneza posted:

What I really regret not getting in TSCC S03 was more on the liquid metal faction.

^^ nice trailer. Leave 'em wanting more is the #1 most ignored rule of promotional media.

It's been a long time since I watched it, but was it established whether it was just one rogue T-1000 or if there was an organization of them? I remember there being one on a sub that rejected some offer or request of Connor's, but I thought that was the one that ended up travelling back and becoming Shirley Manson, creepy mom and urinal mimic.

Come to think of it, would there be much of a difference between one unit and multiple? It seems like they'd just as easily work as a collective since they're blobs. Maybe it's one rogue one that's been systematically adding more polyalloy to itself to create copies a la Agent Smith.

I just really want Robert Patrick to have a small cameo somewhere in this film. I met him a few years ago on a USO tour and he was a super nice guy. I told him "you scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid" and he just kinda chuckled and said "yeah, I get that a lot".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wild T posted:

I just really want Robert Patrick to have a small cameo somewhere in this film.

Almost positive he's said that he was open to it but was never approached.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

teagone posted:

Crossposting from the trailer thread—Adobe is running a contest to cut a Dark Fate trailer (https://terminator.adobe.com/challenge), remixing the assets that they provide. Winner gets $10k.

Here's my entry :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exrPB8eTGVE

Ok, this was pretty interesting for a Saturday self lesson. I give you guys the action schlock cut of the trailer that this movie deserves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WML6qx8Yy9k

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
So this latest trailer features clips of the future war where endoskeletons are firing the classic plasma guns we saw in T2, with the same sound effect. Cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMc1q7UNrWE

Except... for some reason the plasma bolts are BLUE.

What the hell is with that? In T1 and T2, all the plasma blasts were pink/purple.

For some reason loads of media post-T2 seems to think the plasma bolts should be blue. Terminator 3. The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The old PC games Terminator: Future Shock (and its sequel/expansion Skynet). They pay loads of attention to exactly recreating the props - making the endoskeletons and their rifles look just like T2 - but then get the colour of the energy beams wrong.

Terminator Genisys fixed that nonsense. One of the few things it got right. Despite the fact that it gave both the Resistance and the Machines completely new weapon designs in the future war, it made sure that those new-look weapons fired purple plasma beams, just like T1 and T2.

Now here comes Dark Fate, and they've gone and made the plasma bolts blue again. Are directors and special effects departments colour blind? They decide "let's perfectly recreate those future war scenes from T1 and T2. Oh, what colour were the laser beams? Blue? Red? Something like that. Go with blue. That'll do."

#makeplasmapurpleagain

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
As I understand it, red is a hard colour to do in movies. That's why the live action Optimus Prime in Transformers has a lot of blue in the design. Maybe that issue goes for purple too, and the effect guys just decide to not even try and go full blue instead? I don't know.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 1, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Donnerberg posted:

As I understand it, red is a hard colour to do in movies. That's why the live action Optimus Prime in Transformers has a lot of blue in the design. Maybe that issue goes for purple too, and the effect guys just decide to not even try and go full blue instead? I don't know.

This is correct and made me wonder if the original intention in T1 was to actually have them be red (or blue) the whole time. Similar to Vader's pink light saber in A New Hope being red after the initial release/later films. Either way it looks cooler than the blue ones and helped make them distinct from the other sci-fi franchises with lasers in them. Plus you'd think since we're still in the age of HEY LOOK AT THIS 80S LIGHTING being cool in movies/TV/etc. they'd embrace purple lasers of all things.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Terminator 1 has a fair amount of blue plasma bolts and I think I see a few blue ones in the T2 scene as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7nq-r7QWW0

Violator
May 15, 2003

I just saw the trailer for Arnold‘s Terminator character in MK11 and a bunch of his attacks use purple lasers.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

They’re marketing to boys and pink/purple are gay. Don’t kid yourselves

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Purple is actually a color of royalty.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

They’re marketing to boys and pink/purple are gay. Don’t kid yourselves

That'll be super confusing if a Terminator sequel time travels to earlier than the 1940s. The cowboys won't know what to make of the killer robots with their girly blue plasma bolts. It's like James Cameron didn't even try to future proof this series!
:goonsay:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

david_a posted:

Terminator 1 has a fair amount of blue plasma bolts and I think I see a few blue ones in the T2 scene as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7nq-r7QWW0

There’s so much Mandela Effect surrounding Terminator 1 that I suspect nobody has actually seen the movie since the age of 13.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

your evil twin posted:

So this latest trailer features clips of the future war where endoskeletons are firing the classic plasma guns we saw in T2, with the same sound effect. Cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMc1q7UNrWE

Except... for some reason the plasma bolts are BLUE.

That evil terminator was killing concentration camp guards so I’m pretty sure he’s actually the good guy in this movie

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

david_a posted:

I'm not sure how you "see a few blue ones in the T2 scene as well"... because I just watched it and there wasn't one single blue plasma beam ANYWHERE in the T2 sequences. Every plasma bolt was pink surrounded by a violet glow.

What's more, the plasma rifles in the Dark Fate trailer - and in Terminator 3, and in the Sarah Connor Chronicles - were the exact same design of plasma rifle that the endoskeletons used in the T2 future war scene. Yet in T3, Sarah Connor Chronicles, and now in Dark Fate, the plasma bolts became bright blue instead of pink/purple/violet.

It's true that in the T1 sequences, the colours are a bit more iffy. There do seem to be a couple of instances are blue rather than pink. (Although that particular video is quite low quality, it was uploaded ten years ago and is in 480p quality, it's possible that the colours are a bit off.)

But even so, there are many instances in the T1 scenes where you can see that the beam itself is mostly pink, or white surrounded by pink. Around the pink plasma beam is then a wider region of violet glow that fades to blue at the outermost edge.

There only seem to be two instances in the T1 scenes where plasma bolts look 'blue':
  • Incredibly distant shots, that are only a millimeter wide on the screen. The fact that they are so thin and distant means they don't have any detail, they are basically just a white or blue line. So they are simply blue because at that distance and resolution you can't see the inner pink tinge. (In T2 they changed it so that even distant shots seemed purple.)
  • When the infilitrator Terminator shoots his huge plasma gun in the resistance base, a few plasma bolts that shoot towards the viewer look pure white, surrounded by a violet glow. (And even then it's not light blue, it's violet.) The lack of any pink is a bit odd though. But in the same scene, we see other shots from that exact same gun are pink. It's a bit inconsistent.

But my main point is that if anyone watched T1 and T2, and was then quizzed "what colour were the ray guns in the future war bits", I'm pretty sure almost anyone would answer "pink" or "purple", as 90% of them were pink/purple in T1, and 100% of them were pink/purple in T2.

So where the hell T3, TSCC and Dark Fate got light blue plasma guns from is a mystery.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 2, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Lot of hype building up for T:DG, I see. How will the movie address this mystery?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Phone posting, that’s how I get blue plasma. A lot of the bolts have an (unavoidable?) blue edge and it looks different on a smaller screen.

I’m as big of a Future War nerd as anyone, but I just can’t get super upset about this. The Future War sequel we all wanted will never happen, they will never recapture the style from the T1/T2 segments, and I suspect even if that movie does exist in an alternate timeline (har) it probably isn’t that great. I’ve learned to accept and live with what we have.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I still have hope for a proper Future War movie, and I blame the Matrix trilogy. They had the right aesthetic with the real world scenes. The only thing missing was an impossibly large pile of skulls.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm trying to recall, but what's the first thing in T2 that gives away the T1000 not being there as a human to support John?

I remember the hallway scene at the mall and how it's played off like you're not supposed to know Arnie is on his side, but I can't remember if there's anything that gives the T1000 away as being not being a human before that.

I know the trailers for T2 spoiled it like they always do, but that ambiguity would have been good to see in Dark Fate. Especially as there should be so many unknowns about the premise.

We know there's a good robot and a bad robot and an Arnie robot who's probably good. So it's fairly predictable for how the film plays out.

I.E. bad robot loses and the good robots pass the torch of the franchise (cos Arnie's too old for this now).

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

I still have hope for a proper Future War movie, and I blame the Matrix trilogy. They had the right aesthetic with the real world scenes. The only thing missing was an impossibly large pile of skulls.

I don't think we'll ever get a Terminator future war film, instead I think this new Terminator videogame will be the closest to delivering that experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yguiiqU7Kys

Comes out the same time as the new film, except the developers have been working on it for several years (they acquired the T1 and T2 rights back in 2013), so it isn't a quick movie tie-in game, in fact it's got nothing to do with the new film.

Weirdly, most of the plasma guns are shooting RED blasts, rather than purple, but there's a few purple plasma blasts in that trailer, and the screenshots on their website. So I'm guessing they are doing a thing where different types of gun have different colours of plasma, to have a bit of variety.

Blurb from official website https://www.terminatorvideogame.com/

quote:

Terminator: Resistance is an officially licensed, first-person shooter set during the ‘Future War’ scenario that was only glimpsed at in the iconic films from James Cameron, ‘THE TERMINATOR’ and ‘T2: JUDGMENT DAY’.

This story takes place in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles, nearly 30 years after Judgement Day, and stars a brand new hero in the Terminator universe, Jacob Rivers, a soldier in the Resistance led by John Connor. Despite the fact that Jacob is just a lowly private, he’ll soon discover that he’s been specifically targeted by the latest threat from Skynet and marked for termination!

Skynet may be destined to lose the war, but at what cost to Jacob? Experience the events leading up to the decisive final battle for the fate of mankind in the war against the machines!

Key features
  • Resist the machines! Fight against a selection of iconic enemies from the films, including the T-800, as well as a host of enemies that are brand new to the Terminator universe.

• Equip an arsenal of plasma weaponry to run and gun or sneak and hack through sprawling environments! The world isn’t as forgiving as it used to be so you’ll need to search for scraps to trade and craft.

• Choose the kind of hero you want to be by levelling up your skills while exploring post-Apocalyptic Los Angeles. Complete story missions to rise through the ranks of the Resistance as well as side-quests to help your friends.

• Change the fate of mankind! Protect a motley crew of survivors, each with their own motivations and backstories. The actions you take throughout the game will impact their survival and change the ending you get.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kin posted:

I'm trying to recall, but what's the first thing in T2 that gives away the T1000 not being there as a human to support John?

I remember the hallway scene at the mall and how it's played off like you're not supposed to know Arnie is on his side, but I can't remember if there's anything that gives the T1000 away as being not being a human before that.

I know the trailers for T2 spoiled it like they always do, but that ambiguity would have been good to see in Dark Fate. Especially as there should be so many unknowns about the premise.

We know there's a good robot and a bad robot and an Arnie robot who's probably good. So it's fairly predictable for how the film plays out.

I.E. bad robot loses and the good robots pass the torch of the franchise (cos Arnie's too old for this now).
Hallway scene. The music cues for him are always a bit ominous but there's nothing unambiguous until that scene.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

your evil twin posted:

I don't think we'll ever get a Terminator future war film, instead I think this new Terminator videogame will be the closest to delivering that experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yguiiqU7Kys

Comes out the same time as the new film, except the developers have been working on it for several years (they acquired the T1 and T2 rights back in 2013), so it isn't a quick movie tie-in game, in fact it's got nothing to do with the new film.

Weirdly, most of the plasma guns are shooting RED blasts, rather than purple, but there's a few purple plasma blasts in that trailer, and the screenshots on their website. So I'm guessing they are doing a thing where different types of gun have different colours of plasma, to have a bit of variety.

Blurb from official website https://www.terminatorvideogame.com/
holy poo poo

Does this have anything to do with the FPS Terminator fangame? It's basically impossible to search for.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: the instant the Resistance fires the time machine to send back Kyle Reese, John Connor suddenly shudders out of existence. He reappears next to his Skynet in an endlessly tesselating version of the core chamber, full of other John Connors and Skynets. The nearest group of John Connors look over, "and that's the problem, we all just show up here. Welcome."

Ah, the Red vs Blue approach to time travel

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there was a decent battlefield clone set during the future war but i can't remember the name of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

david_a posted:

Phone posting, that’s how I get blue plasma. A lot of the bolts have an (unavoidable?) blue edge and it looks different on a smaller screen.

I’m as big of a Future War nerd as anyone, but I just can’t get super upset about this. The Future War sequel we all wanted will never happen, they will never recapture the style from the T1/T2 segments, and I suspect even if that movie does exist in an alternate timeline (har) it probably isn’t that great. I’ve learned to accept and live with what we have.

And still worth remembering that so far everything tracks with the supposed leaks, meaning the evil AI in the future isn't Skynet anymore, so the possibilities for a Future War are wide open.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

david_a posted:

holy poo poo

Does this have anything to do with the FPS Terminator fangame? It's basically impossible to search for.

That fangame captures the atmosphere and feel of the movie wars far better than even this new official game. I would doubt it's got any direct connections, but that could be wrong. Despite the flaws, I actually find that footage in the fangame much more interesting than any other Terminator related thing I've seen in awhile

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

omg chael crash posted:

Ah, the Purple vs Blue approach to plasma weaponry

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

That fangame captures the atmosphere and feel of the movie wars far better than even this new official game. I would doubt it's got any direct connections, but that could be wrong. Despite the flaws, I actually find that footage in the fangame much more interesting than any other Terminator related thing I've seen in awhile

I played that fangame, and unfortunately all that existed was that one very small area of level that is seen in the youtube video.

The modmaker did a clever job making the video look good by running around and hiding in various spots in that small area, but yeah it's very much a case of "what you see is what you get" - he never created anything more than is in the video itself.

He nailed the visuals and atmosphere though.

Tough I did think it was a bit weird that he had the player's Resistance assault rifle look like an ordinary bullet assault rifle. (If I recall correctly, it was based on an assault rifle from Killzone.)

It's nice to see that in the new Terminator Resistance game, the player's basic plasma rifle looks like Kyle Reese's from T1. (Which was based on a Valmet M82A.) Doesn't have the cool fictional computerized scope though, I wonder if that'll be an upgrade you can get.

Groovelord Neato posted:

there was a decent battlefield clone set during the future war but i can't remember the name of it.

It was called Terminator 3: War of the Machines. You say "decent", it's pretty notorious for being rushed, buggy and half-finished.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it probably was i just was jonesing for that kind of game and it was a long time ago.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Purple Plasma posted:

PURPLE PLASMA!

Blue Plasma posted:

BLUE PLASMA!

Purple Plasma posted:

PURPLE PLASMA!

Blue Plasma posted:

BLUE PLASMA!

Purple Plasma posted:

PURPLE PLASMA!

Blue Plasma posted:

BLUE PLASMA!

Purple Plasma posted:

BLUE PLASMA!

Blue Plasma posted:

PURPLE PLASMA!

Purple Plasma posted:

BLUE PLASMA!

Blue Plasma posted:

I SAY IT'S PURPLE PLASMA AND I SAY FIRE!

my new Terminator concepts: Literally just compile all the plasma era future war scenes and edit them for plasma color consistency, with versions for every color.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

your evil twin posted:

I played that fangame, and unfortunately all that existed was that one very small area of level that is seen in the youtube video.

The modmaker did a clever job making the video look good by running around and hiding in various spots in that small area, but yeah it's very much a case of "what you see is what you get" - he never created anything more than is in the video itself.

He nailed the visuals and atmosphere though.

Tough I did think it was a bit weird that he had the player's Resistance assault rifle look like an ordinary bullet assault rifle. (If I recall correctly, it was based on an assault rifle from Killzone.)

It's nice to see that in the new Terminator Resistance game, the player's basic plasma rifle looks like Kyle Reese's from T1. (Which was based on a Valmet M82A.) Doesn't have the cool fictional computerized scope though, I wonder if that'll be an upgrade you can get.

It was called Terminator 3: War of the Machines. You say "decent", it's pretty notorious for being rushed, buggy and half-finished.

Yeah, I mean it doesn't really look like a "good" game, but drat does it look accurate to the war. The potential was there for an amazing experience though, at least if there were a hypothetical team and budget.

The big thing that it nails, and that Cameron did an amazing job with in T1 and T2, there's such a dark, caustrophobic, and almost hopelessly high stakes real war feeling in the gritty war footage he shows. Terminators could be everywhere and nearly unfathomable shapes and sizes, and of course, they could appear as human infiltrator units. When I first saw the future war footage as a kid, I'd say the feeling was almost like a mech version of Lovecraftian horrors. Humanity truly felt like it was on its last legs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concepts: Literally just compile all the plasma era future war scenes and edit them for plasma color consistency, with versions for every color.

It's tough being the Idea Guy but you're pulling it off with aplomb

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Blue plasma Terms v. purple plasma Terms.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

your evil twin posted:

Possibly the worst multiplayer FPS ever. Certainly the biggest bunch of idiots I've ever run into in a game, although I was dumb enough to buy it too. I only played for a couple of hours over the course of a week. I knew the community wasn't going to get any better when mom called mid-game, I hid in a corner and took the call. An hour later I was still on top of the leaderboard. That's when I uninstalled it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

your evil twin posted:

I'm a huge mark for Terminator and have given even the worst Terminator games a serious shot, I remember how disappointing that one was because I was in the beta for it and, in general, we were all excited from it. I mean the basic framework was there so if the final game was just Battlefield but with Terminator stuff and you can be a bunch of endoskeletons riding on a hunting killer killing worthless humans like you could sort of do in the beta then gently caress yes Game Of The Year and you could even do cool stuff like play as one of the smaller drones or other aerial things.

But then the final game came out and it was like, the EXACT same product as the beta, like dang lol

Fish Noise posted:

You can actually do this a little on the Terminator 3 DVD. There's a bonus where you can take that scene where the endoskeletons are marching around all firing weapons and change what weapons and what color they are. So you could have that scene play with them using flame throwers or different colored/types of plasma shots.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Hmm. What about this Terminator game?

Neo Rasa posted:

You can actually do this a little on the Terminator 3 DVD. There's a bonus where you can take that scene where the endoskeletons are marching around all firing weapons and change what weapons and what color they are. So you could have that scene play with them using flame throwers or different colored/types of plasma shots.
I kinda want to see this! cursory youtube search doesn't reveal much though

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't think I have the original DVD anymore but looking at the back the box online the feature is uncreatively titled "Create Your Own Visual Effects" so searching for it might be a pain.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My personal Terminator Movie-

Skynet sends the Terminator back to kill John Connor as a child. It succeeds because Sarah can't watch him 24/7. Later, Sarah adopts another kid she also names John and raises him to be a better version of his dead brother. This new John is the Resistance leader and to keep himself safe he creates an army of body doubles- some actors in makeup, some reprogrammed T-800 robots with custom skin casings. Skynet is defeated, but its last act is to try and stop John from having this plan by killing the historical figure who inspired it. A T-800 shows up at the Roman Colosseum looking for a gladiator named Spartacus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

achtungnight posted:

My personal Terminator Movie-

Skynet sends the Terminator back to kill John Connor as a child. It succeeds because Sarah can't watch him 24/7. Later, Sarah adopts another kid she also names John and raises him to be a better version of his dead brother. This new John is the Resistance leader and to keep himself safe he creates an army of body doubles- some actors in makeup, some reprogrammed T-800 robots with custom skin casings. Skynet is defeated, but its last act is to try and stop John from having this plan by killing the historical figure who inspired it. A T-800 shows up at the Roman Colosseum looking for a gladiator named Spartacus...

No, it's programmed not to kill a slave, but the son of the Emperor of Rome itself. So it works its way up the ranks of the Roman Army and becomes closer to its target until the current emperor is suddenly murdered and his son takes power. Then it must fight as a gladiator slave to complete its mission, at which point it goes aimless and fights eternally in every war up, eventually working in the Pentagon at the end of the Cold War. The movie ends with it greenlighting the Skynet project and the words "Written by Nick Cave".