Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
How on earth are you going to do the boots analogy in a thread that talks about the Vimes Boot theory?

18 Two years older than what the minimum voting age should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Welcome to old nationalised boots world Winston.

Leadership popularity is such an ethereal and changeable quality it's just not important unless it's directly tied to a definite criticism because otherwise it's just received wisdom from the media at best and can be swept away with good campaigning locally if it suddenly becomes necessary like at an election.

So yeah if someone is super Remain and dislikes Corbyn specifically because of that then that's probably a geniune dislike, otherwise eh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

stay safe Ireland goons, that hurricane is right around the corner :ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

radmonger posted:

Obviously Labour can’t afford a leadership change now, let alone a contest. But when the opportunity arises, it should be taken. And before the Bell cartoon of all the Tory leaders Corbyn has been in opposition to acquires too many more panels.

Once again this is prioritising action over all other things in a political sense. Why is this true? Why is this accurate? Instead this sounds, at best, like your repeating something you once heard.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Josef bugman posted:

I'd be more okay with it if some solutions were being offered. Say what you will about the left but usually we will discuss what should/can be done to make a situation better (it might actually make it worse) but there seems to be nothing approaching that when it comes to discussion on Corbyn.

Ok I'll take a stab. He should remain in post until the short term threat of a GE is put to bed; trying to hand over the reins to a new leader close to a GE is a terrible idea.

If the GE is postponed somehow or Labour don't increase their position in that GE then he should stand down to give the left factions with the party, who are currently in the ascendancy, the best chance at electing a new leader to carry on the reforms he has started.

I'm aware that Laura Pidcock or whoever will also be immediately monstered by the press but that's just a fact of life for any left candidate at this point; it's not a reason to cling to the same bloke forever. At some point succession planning will have to occur and it's better to do that from a position of relative strength than at the bitter end.

Obviously if he wins the GE the game changes entirely and we start emptying the cities etc...

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 2, 2019

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Nice to see we're back in the 'corbyn needs replacing for no apparent reason' part of the UKMT cycle. Motion to swiftly move onwards to monster munch flavour chat.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I would vote for him and (usually) enthusiastically but Corbyn's ratings do worry me. I don't think a leader behind as "Best PM" has ever won a General Election. The cause is unjust but it is immaterial to the potential effect.

Sometimes I wonder whether he should seek to bow out in a blaze of Johnson toppling glory - call the VONC, push a young female lefty or a middle grounder with some principles forward as interim PM, step aside for the good of the people, end Johnson and no deal in one fell swoop, drive off smiling smugly at journalists.

That would leave the Lib Dems with nowhere to go but the difficulty is they would likely just portray the successor as a stooge and refuse to support them in the VONC regardless. Either that or others round the chamber would have wobbles. The we're out of parliamentary time and boned.

Sometimes I think he should just call the VONC anyway, make Swinson vote to prop up this Tory shambles, they wouldn't all vote with her. But then if it fails we're out of parliamentary time and boned.

In short I recognise the problem but haven't come up with a good answer yet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

baka kaba posted:

Theresa May was the most popular PM ever

As a PM she burnt out rather than faded away.

People respected that.

I guess.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Zalakwe posted:

I would vote for him and (usually) enthusiastically but Corbyn's ratings do worry me. I don't think a leader behind as "Best PM" has ever won a General Election. The cause is unjust but it is immaterial to the potential effect.

Yeah honestly the project is much more important than the man; if there was a solid candidate to put in his place that could plausibly do a better electoral job with the same conviction and agenda, I'd not be too opposed to making a switch. Unfortunately that person doesn't exist (yet) but there's a bunch of good candidates waiting in the wings now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StarkingBarfish posted:

Nice to see we're back in the 'corbyn needs replacing for no apparent reason' part of the UKMT cycle. Motion to swiftly move onwards to monster munch flavour chat.

Teach the controversy!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Mark Francois on Victoria Derbyshire displaying the kind of argument the press could easily win but refuse to do so:

VD: Do you regret using the language of ‘Herr Juncker in the bunker? Some call it inflammatory’
MF: John McDonnell said he wanted to lynch Esther McVey

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Polling for 'right now' should be ignored, not because it's inconvenient, but because we already know that the polling radically shifts if Johnson fucks his "do or die" deadline for the end of the month. As such we should be focusing on forcing him to eat poo poo and receive the extension.

So of course the biggest risk now is us not getting an extension.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Owen Jones did his yearly Tory Conference Safari, it's on the guardian now

It's about what you'd expect

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Mark Francois on Victoria Derbyshire displaying the kind of argument the press could easily win but refuse to do so:

VD: Do you regret using the language of ‘Herr Juncker in the bunker? Some call it inflammatory’
MF: John McDonnell said he wanted to lynch Esther McVey

Which he didn't. He said his constituent said that while he, John McDonnell, the supposed extremist, was just happy she resigned.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

They're all comrades.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Tesseraction posted:

Polling for 'right now' should be ignored, not because it's inconvenient, but because we already know that the polling radically shifts if Johnson fucks his "do or die" deadline for the end of the month. As such we should be focusing on forcing him to eat poo poo and receive the extension.

So of course the biggest risk now is us not getting an extension.

Add to this the election reporting rules which gave corbyn a huge boost last time because the press couldn't just outright lie as usual

edit:

from here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-39856354

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 2, 2019

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

They're all comrades.

I am down with this.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

radmonger posted:

Any pair of boots you wear for several years of lots of walking in hard pavements _will_ become worn through. Some boots are better or worse at taking the punishment, but once holes show up, you have to replace them as soon as you can afford to. Because even worse new boots are still new boots.

This is just the worst Vimes internal monologue.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

They're all comrades.

This is vanilla ice cream erasure

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

How has 'poggers' crossed over into non-twitch related things :psyduck:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Totally normal government
https://twitter.com/DaveyLockhart/status/1179326684224458754

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Left wing bank holidays?? What??

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I guess he means May Day

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

May Day, comrade.

e: In my bit of Australia it's Labour Day on Monday which celebrates the labour movement and labour rights.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

They mean May Day.

The 1801 Act came in on Jan 1st, which is already a holiday, and would be roundly ignored by everyone who would just call it New Year's Day or Hogmanay, and the 1801 act isn't really a matter of popular appeal outside of certain bowler hatted communities, so all I can think is that they'd make May 1st a bank holiday after the 1707 Act as an attempt to erase May Day.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

FYI where I work may day was moved to Friday for next year and isn't may day anymore it's V-Day. As in victory. Something about ww2.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thinking about it, renaming May Day to Union Day might actually be a masterstroke, but not in the way they want it.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Once again, because we apparently have to keep loving saying this, the problem is not with Jeremy Corbyn.

Our national press is hideously corrupt and fundamentally opposed on an almost rabid level to having a committed leftist as Prime Minister. Anyone who takes over from Jeremy Corbyn before a Labour government can implement sweeping press reforms will face the same issues he did.

EDIT: It'd be like not voting for Bernie Sanders in the US because Fox News doesn't like him.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 2, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

FYI where I work may day was moved to Friday for next year and isn't may day anymore it's V-Day. As in victory. Something about ww2.

It's the date of unconditional surrender from the German forces. 8 days after 2 shots rang out from the Hitlerbunker. Sometimes called VE-day for "Victory in Europe" day since America still had some Asian civilians to genocide.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It's the date of unconditional surrender from the German forces. 8 days after 2 shots rang out from the Hitlerbunker. Sometimes called VE-day for "Victory in Europe" day since America still had some Asian civilians to genocide.

It's bullshit is what it is. It's a major issue for part time staff wrt pay and I'm pretty sure they haven't even notified everyone yet so good luck if you've booked a holiday for May Day.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I dream of the day that the tag team combo of Jezza + Meghan Markle demolish our terrible media institutions

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Tomorrow shall be known as British Empire Day, which we celebrate by shelling a random coastal nation in the global south and taking their resources home.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

They mean May Day.

The 1801 Act came in on Jan 1st, which is already a holiday, and would be roundly ignored by everyone who would just call it New Year's Day or Hogmanay, and the 1801 act isn't really a matter of popular appeal outside of certain bowler hatted communities, so all I can think is that they'd make May 1st a bank holiday after the 1707 Act as an attempt to erase May Day.

mediadave posted:

I guess he means May Day

I had no idea! Thank you for teaching me something new.

My original thought was more, are all bank holidays left wing anyway because people get a day off of work and it turns into a 4 day work week, but then I thought about awful retail.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Captain Fargle posted:

Once again, because we apparently have to keep loving saying this, the problem is not with Jeremy Corbyn.

Our national press is hideously corrupt and fundamentally opposed on an almost rabid level to having a committed leftist as Prime Minister. Anyone who takes over from Jeremy Corbyn before a Labour government can implement sweeping press reforms will face the same issues he did.

EDIT: It'd be like not voting for Bernie Sanders in the US because Fox News doesn't like him.

Absolutely. Jeremy is the most successful opposition leader ever, at least in terms of handing defeats to the government. Why drop him just because the Tory press don't like him?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tesseraction posted:

Plucky little Imperial Japan.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Miftan posted:

How has 'poggers' crossed over into non-twitch related things :psyduck:

So according to Google poggers is an alt-right thing?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

squirrelzipper posted:

Hi. Canadian lurker poljunkie checking in. What’s the point at which Labour would have to think about changing leadership? Or is just a matter of enduring until the Torres immolate?

When polls start to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

So according to Google poggers is an alt-right thing?

Well it's a twitch thing so yeah that sounds about right.