Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ght-way-to-vote

quote:

Gladys Liu and Josh Frydenberg have admitted that controversial Chinese-language signs instructed voters that the “correct” or “right” way to vote was to put a 1 next to the Liberal party candidate on ballot papers in the Victorian seats of Chisholm and Kooyong.
In their responses to challenges against their election the Liberal MP and the treasurer claim the Liberal party’s acting Victorian director, Simon Frost, “intended” the signs to say “to make your vote count put a 1 next to the Liberal candidate” but admit the translation meant “correct way to vote”, “correct voting method” or “the right way to vote”.

Both disputed that Liberal corflutes used “the same colour scheme as was used by the AEC”, arguing it was merely “similar” to the AEC’s, and submitted that “other parties have used purple and white signs on polling booths” in the 2019 and previous elections. They did not provide examples.
Even what they say they intended should be considered misleading imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

They'll thunderously reelect Barnaby and the coalition on the promise to build thousands of kilometers of water pipes that connect every country town to each other, but not to any water sources

Don't doxx my Cities Skylines playthrough.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I was actually shocked how little is spent on unemployment benefits when I got my tax return.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

My term deposit matures in a few days can't wait to see how much lower term deposit interest rates are next time!

e. also low interest rates are bad for super right?

I had a term deposit with Bendigo Bank for a very long time and a few years ago they told me their trustee accounts had better interest rates, so I moved my meagre savings over to Sandhurst Trustees and they're been a lot better over the past few years.

There's a 90 day wait on deposits before you can access them, but after that you can do what you want with your money.

Bendigo is one of the few banks I wouldn't describe as evil and actively working against their smaller accounts which is why I'm with them in the first place.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Purk posted:

Welfare minister says increasing new start won't help and that "constantly spending more money and not getting a better result is not the right thing for us to do."

Sweet so govt. announcing they're cutting the entire outsourced job placement industry then?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Robodog posted:

Sweet so govt. announcing they're cutting the entire outsourced job placement industry then?

The best welfare is a job seeker agency tender

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

NTRabbit posted:

They'll thunderously reelect Barnaby and the coalition on the promise to build thousands of kilometers of water pipes that connect every country town to each other, but not to any water sources

Brown water is still water.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Robodog posted:

:pray:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWo65Uhekjs

A good Jordies. Finally.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Be careful on income protection. Some of them charge more over two years than they'll pay out.

Income protection is poo poo. There are so many outs it’s only good for healthy people who will never need it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Income protection is poo poo. There are so many outs it’s only good for healthy people who will never need it.

Eh it's good in some cases and enough people are healthy that it's worthwhile. I had a member once who I always called a moron for not rolling in his six super accounts and when he hurt himself he got paid six times.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

fauna posted:

the hong loch in parkes nsw was the gold standard of outback chinese. the owners' son was my age and he pretended to bully me at school for social status in the mildest possible way and was really nice to me otherwise, it was cute and i played along because i knew he'd probably get beaten up by his "friends" if i didn't. but aside from that, the food was of an excellent quality and the vegetables tangibly fresher than the competitors'

drat, I was in Parkes for a few days in July. Anything would be better than the Chinese in my part of Melbourne.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Graic Gabtar posted:

drat, I was in Parkes for a few days in July. Anything would be better than the Chinese in my part of Melbourne.

Move to the west and eschew inferior Chinese food for the much tastier Vietnamese cuisine.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Move to the west and eschew inferior Chinese food for the much tastier Vietnamese cuisine.

no amount of tasty Vietnamese will convince me to commute into sun glare

prefer to drive to Parkes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Graic Gabtar posted:

no amount of tasty Vietnamese will convince me to commute into sun glare

prefer to drive to Parkes

Ew do you drive? Well, I'm sorry but you're not invited.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Ew do you drive? Well, I'm sorry but you're not invited.

says someone who probably can’t afford a ‘97 Hyundai Excel because they had to buy into seddon

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Haha

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
do not for any reason go to parkes

i know the white central west well and it's going to be interesting in the most awful way to see how they "adapt" to climate change, because they have never been able to adapt to any other challenge, however small

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol that they watermarked their excellent photo.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
is he dead???

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How do these things work? Is it basically a tube where you cuff yourself to a bar and fill it with concrete or something? Adani uses Ghandi in their ads and that sounds v Ghandi.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

JBP posted:

Eh it's good in some cases and enough people are healthy that it's worthwhile. I had a member once who I always called a moron for not rolling in his six super accounts and when he hurt himself he got paid six times.

I thought most of them had clauses about not being valid if you were claiming on another policy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

norp posted:

I thought most of them had clauses about not being valid if you were claiming on another policy

Maybe some do but Australian Super handheld him through the others after he claimed on their policy and it was fine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

For some reason they don't say how he was injured :iiam:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

fauna posted:

i know the white central west well and it's going to be interesting in the most awful way to see how they "adapt" to climate change, because they have never been able to adapt to any other challenge, however small

well we went up for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing so probably won’t be rushing back

from a very limited sample set can’t argue with you. stayed in a farmhouse and the owner was lamenting three hard years without rain with the only solutions being a) wait for rain b) can’t wait any longer so carve off some acreage to flog off and wait some more

JBP posted:

How do these things work? Is it basically a tube where you cuff yourself to a bar and fill it with concrete or something? Adani uses Ghandi in their ads and that sounds v Ghandi.

ghandi with an anti-houdini shens twist

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Saw the guys live show at the Latvian Club a few weeks back, he’s a funny bastard but usually only when he stays within a narrow, laser focus on the Liberals being poo poo.

Or stories about life in country towns, those are always fun.

fauna posted:

Last time I was in rural NSW for any reason was a brief stop in White Cliffs for the night. The first local I met couldn't wait to share with me his opinion of the Chinese and Australia's indigenous peoples, and lament that they had to use solar power because the greenies wouldn't let them build an oil fired station.

Staying in the underground hotel was pretty cool, though. That place will be a ghost town once the opal mines are played out, there are only so many opals in the ground and only so many tourists willing to sleep in a hole in the ground.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 2, 2019

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Bargearse posted:

Staying in the underground hotel was pretty cool, though. That place will be a ghost town once the opal mines are played out, there are only so many opals in the ground and only so many tourists willing to sleep in a hole in the ground.

Nah, once climate change well and truly kicks in we'll all start living underground like mole people. Coober Pedy is basically our Tomorrowland.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Whitlam posted:

Nah, once climate change well and truly kicks in we'll all start living underground like mole people. Coober Pedy is basically our Tomorrowland.

Most goons have already started.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I live in an underground Sega bunker filled with used cum socks and copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lol using an angle grinder in short sleeves and got a nick on the arm "How could this have happened!?"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

:10bux: says the mangle grinder skipped off something when he attacked it too fast / wasn't paying attention.

I did the same thing modifying my cars exhaust last week.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Adani Australia sponsored: idiot pig slices own ham

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Bargearse posted:

Last time I was in rural NSW for any reason was a brief stop in White Cliffs for the night. The first local I met couldn't wait to share with me his opinion of the Chinese and Australia's indigenous peoples, and lament that they had to use solar power because the greenies wouldn't let them build an oil fired station.

the opal towns are great and every single remaining inhabitant being batshit insane is absolutely part of the appeal

but yes, the racism. we were running a store in mudgee and little old ladies i'd never met before would just march up to the counter and greet me with a huffed "oh, those aborigines". then i was in a real estate agency for a while in the same town (cursed town), one morning at 8:50am i sat down next to the director and said "good morning helen" and she looked at me and replied "another chinese murdered his grand-daughter. i tell you they have no respect for human life. and they keep letting them into the country!"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

another time her grandchild had colic and she had to wait six hours to see a doctor at mudgee hospital and she blamed it on the 10,000 syrian refugees

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It must be a heartening job moderating all the murder and rape posts on Adani social media lol

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

idiot pig slices own ham
thread title

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

fauna posted:

thread title

Anidav do the needful, that's much better than the current poo poo title.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

fauna posted:

the opal towns are great and every single remaining inhabitant being batshit insane is absolutely part of the appeal

Don’t get me wrong, it’s an interesting place and a unique experience, and yeah the residents being nuts is definitely part of the reason why. Like the old bloke who smoked while fuelling up the planes at the airstrip, I’m pretty sure he’s only still alive through sheer dumb luck.

The racism really wasn’t as shocking as the assumption that “hey, you’re a white looking dude, of course you agree with me”.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
https://www.smh.com.au/national/restaurateurs-call-for-amnesty-to-deal-with-wage-compliance-20190928-p52vrm.html

rofl. where are robodebt victim's amnesty? if it's all so complicated how do you manage to write off millions in tax deduction every year you hog motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
here's my proposal: instead of an amnesty, how about all of you scared wage thieves spend a year in prison?