Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

A Jawsuit sounds like something a lawyer for a Streetshark would say, and frankly, I'm on board with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How do you even make that typo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Data Graham posted:

How do you even make that typo

Autocorrect from "kaw" is my guess.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

pompeo taking questions in rome

very low energy and, frankly, sad!

lol he's finally admitting he was actually on that phone call even though he lied about it previously

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Helith posted:

Your President has always been compromised. I wouldn’t be surprised if various countries had decades worth of poo poo on him.

Yeah, I think the most surprising thing of all is that there are people in the media just coming to realize that an international real estate investor who is heavily dependent on the rulings and regulations of foreign governments could be influenced by said governments. :eyepop:

I mean, no poo poo, Sherlock.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also we probably all knew that this was coming but

https://twitter.com/jane__bradley/status/1179343952127909890

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, I think the most surprising thing of all is that there are people in the media just coming to realize that an international real estate investor who is heavily dependent on the rulings and regulations of foreign governments could be influenced by said governments. :eyepop:

I mean, no poo poo, Sherlock.

But he’s so riiiiich! He can’t be booooouught

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

This is the least surprising thing ever. You should see how world leaders fawn over Trump. When he is in their countries.

The Ukrainian phone call transcript is a road map to how other leaders view him.

1. Use his language to show you learned from him.

2. Tell him you used his property.

3. Stroke that ego and he might be dumb enough to agree to anything...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the whistleblower actually underestimated the scale of corruption!

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1179355593930412033

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rewire_News/status/1179052136421703681

Pro lifers silent...again

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Secret ballot conviction would be a delicious twist

https://mobile.twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1179350820741091329

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

the whistleblower actually underestimated the scale of corruption!

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1179355593930412033

Ah, we are now fully in the "I poo poo my pants on purpose" stage :allears:

Was wondering when he would just come out and say it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

also we probably all knew that this was coming but

https://twitter.com/jane__bradley/status/1179343952127909890

These phone calls are probably very similar to all of his speeches and rallies. He might start on whatever topic is supposed to be at hand but five minutes in he's just incoherently rambling about the same poo poo every time.

Some world leaders have probably gotten a Crying guy said 'Sir...' story.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

larry tribe is in the insane fringe of the profession right now

might this be possible? well you'd need Mitch McConnell and a majority of the Senate to change their rules specifically to make this possible, which would probably defeat the point since they'd need a vote on the record to let them vote off the record

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rick Perry is a shithead who couldn't pass Meats, but I doubt this is part of Trump Ukraine scheme. Perry hasn't been one of Trump's crimebuddies and cabinet members going to a foreign leader's inauguration when diplomacy matters is a normal thing.

Which doesn't mean don't ask. Just that I doubt they'll find anything here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

TulliusCicero posted:

Ah, we are now fully in the "I poo poo my pants on purpose" stage :allears:

Was wondering when he would just come out and say it

You just gotta wonder what the gently caress logic process he uses to assess outcomes like this. It isn't strictly impulse, it isn't just random neurons moshing around at a poo poo for brains rave, he actually looks at this kind of situation over and over again and does this because he thinks it's a good idea. :allears:

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

eke out posted:

might this be possible? well you'd need Mitch McConnell and a majority of the Senate to change their rules specifically to make this possible, which would probably defeat the point since they'd need a vote on the record to let them vote off the record

But that would require just a simple majority right? Meaning there's less GOP senators that need to take the hit.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Nah, the post-Trump truth and reconciliation commissions are gonna need those votes on the record

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Why would they say anything, this is how it “should” work- a baby wasn’t murdered and is now available for adoption into a evangelical cult.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Shogeton posted:

But that would require just a simple majority right? Meaning there's less GOP senators that need to take the hit.

Yes assuming Democrats won't vote against the motion. There's a lot of political hay to make from being on the record as voting for conviction. If they do it'll take 51 of 53 GOP senators to pass the motion through versus needing only 19 GOP senators voting to convict, and if convicted another 19 to bar Trump from future public office. Though if that motion does pass on a straight party line vote that'd be some clear writing on the wall for Trump.

e: me fail maff

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 2, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Chaos scenario: DOE is involved in the investigation because nuclear weapons classified materials were compromised.

:eng101: The classification for these actually is "Q"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_clearance

this should not be taken seriously

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 2, 2019

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

eke out posted:

how so

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Rick Perry is a shithead who couldn't pass Meats, but I doubt this is part of Trump Ukraine scheme. Perry hasn't been one of Trump's crimebuddies and cabinet members going to a foreign leader's inauguration when diplomacy matters is a normal thing.

Which doesn't mean don't ask. Just that I doubt they'll find anything here.

The backstory is that it was supposed to be Pence, but it got changed at some point to put on pressure. Perry may know stuff about timing of the switch.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Pro lifers silent...again

"Pro-life" poo poo makes a lot more sense when you read it as "Anti-Woman" or "Anti-Women's Rights".

dirty shrimp money posted:

Yes assuming Democrats won't vote against the motion. There's a lot of political hay to make from being on the record as voting for conviction. If they do it'll take all 51 GOP senators to pass the motion through versus needing only 16 GOP senators voting to convict, and if convicted another 16 to bar Trump from future public office. Though if that motion does pass on a straight party line vote that'd be some clear writing on the wall for Trump.

That's what scares me the most: The GOP shows they will fall in line and protect Trump and Trumpism at large, and the US now is in a very scary scenario where we have a party that is openly willing to manipulate elections to bring themselves to power. That's the death of the concept of democracy and in red-ruled states with blue cities this can make things ugly. See: Georgia trying their best to codify LGBTQ people as second-class citizens by denying couples adoptions and the film industries in and around Atlanta threatening to walk away from this lovely state, possibly killing tens of thousands of jobs and driving people away (which the red chunks of the state love because of their drive for 100% grievance politics).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flesh Forge posted:

You just gotta wonder what the gently caress logic process he uses to assess outcomes like this. It isn't strictly impulse, it isn't just random neurons moshing around at a poo poo for brains rave, he actually looks at this kind of situation over and over again and does this because he thinks it's a good idea. :allears:

He still doesn't comprehend that the "withholding of aid in exchange for political favors" thing is bad and wrong

He thinks if he releases more details then everyone will realize how nice and friendly the call was and therefore this is a lot of huffing over nothing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/InTheNoosphere/status/1179327055764295681

e:

quote:

Officials including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and aide Stephen Miller berated over border policy

:stare::fh:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 2, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s a press conference by the house Dems today, right? What’s it about?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jasondhorowitz/status/1179361526127497216?s=19

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

dirty shrimp money posted:

Yes assuming Democrats won't vote against the motion. There's a lot of political hay to make from being on the record as voting for conviction. If they do it'll take 51 of 53 GOP senators to pass the motion through versus needing only 19 GOP senators voting to convict, and if convicted another 19 to bar Trump from future public office. Though if that motion does pass on a straight party line vote that'd be some clear writing on the wall for Trump.

e: me fail maff

Man, I'm torn on this. On one hand, gently caress the Republican Senators, and hurray for them being totally hosed.

But it feels like Trump is going very, very unhinged, and it might be worth foregoing some hay to increase the chances of him getting taken out of office. So I feel it might be worth giving some Republican cowards a way out?

(Comedy option: we hold a secret ballot. Almost all republicans say they're gonna vote against conviction. Unanimous decision by the senate to convict. Everyone is awkward. Or perhaps 1 person voted to acquit and paranoia reigns.)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sure, Donny. THEY'RE making you look stupid. It's all them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trump turning on Stephen Miller would be VERY VERY GOOD, he's the driver of the worst anti-immigrant stuff.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So that's one of the things the IG is going to say today.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I will post it when it starts but sentencing phase continues today for Amber Guyer. This will very likely be the day she is sentenced. It also looks like she will be taking the stand to plea for mercy.

ABC Livestream

https://youtu.be/A1j_jwkw0RA

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I will post it when it starts but sentencing phase continues today for Amber Guyer. This will very likely be the day she is sentenced. It also looks like she will be taking the stand to plea for mercy.

ABC Livestream

https://youtu.be/A1j_jwkw0RA

Geez, next day sentencing. Texas doesn't gently caress around.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ScottyJSno posted:

This is the least surprising thing ever. You should see how world leaders fawn over Trump. When he is in their countries.

The Ukrainian phone call transcript is a road map to how other leaders view him.

1. Use his language to show you learned from him.

2. Tell him you used his property.

3. Stroke that ego and he might be dumb enough to agree to anything...

What I don't really get is, doesn't this cost them a lot domestically? To be seen to kiss Trump's rear end? A lot of these countries don't want their president's kissing anyone's rear end let alone this guy.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What I don't really get is, doesn't this cost them a lot domestically? To be seen to kiss Trump's rear end? A lot of these countries don't want their president's kissing anyone's rear end let alone this guy.

Until now it was secret though

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well, normally the transcript isn't published, just a summary. And the public will have some understanding of the circumstances, too.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Nice piece of fish posted:

They don't have to be stupid. They can be politically biased, malicious, disingenuous authoritarian pieces of poo poo who abandoned the idea of serving practical jurisprudence ages ago for personal or ideological gain.

Also constitutional originalism gets conveniently abandoned when it doesn't give them the lovely answer that they want.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

Also constitutional originalism gets conveniently abandoned when it doesn't give them the lovely answer that they want.

so does the bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Rick Perry being one of the better appointees wasn't something I would have guessed in 2016. And Bridenstine at NASA's been pretty good.