Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Don’t drop the babby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just give mag for everything.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I didn't go into work today, so they had to deliver a baby in the ICU. Oops 😲

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

djfooboo posted:

I didn't go into work today, so they had to deliver a baby in the ICU. Oops 😲

Was...was the mom already in the ICU or did she just happen to be visiting when the baby came?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

No, they tried calling me in to run esmolol in OB. I couldn't make it in, so they transferred to an open ICU bed for the delivery.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Xepherra posted:

I'm entering the OB/Maternal/Peds/Psych semester of my ADN/RN program. I am also working 2 jobs on top of that in order to survive. Basically, I want to die.

Anyone have good tips for studying OB/maternity specifically? Thinking about buying UWorld again but that's a lot of :10bux: if there are better resources out there. I particularly enjoy the game-like feedback from UWorld, but haven't heard anyone speak to the quality of other apps so I've been afraid to try them.

Korean women traditionally consume high amounts of seaweed soup in the postpartum period

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
Uworld is worth the money

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014
Is it worth it to switch to day shift on a med-surg unit?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

rosenritter posted:

Is it worth it to switch to day shift on a med-surg unit?

Depends on how you define “worth it.” For me, going to day shift would be around a $12K/year hit. Day shift is also a lot more chaotic and micromanaged. And I’m a total night owl. So no, for me it wouldn’t be worth it.

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014

Yarbald posted:

Depends on how you define “worth it.” For me, going to day shift would be around a $12K/year hit. Day shift is also a lot more chaotic and micromanaged. And I’m a total night owl. So no, for me it wouldn’t be worth it.

It's just that I've been working night shift on this unit for a year and so many experienced nurses have left and now I have NEW nurses asking me for advice when I still feel totally inexperienced, like I shouldn't be telling anyone what to do. It's just really rough not having help when you need it. And I just can't handle how my free days barely feel like free days, because I'm so exhausted and I try to make myself wake up at noon so I can do things, but I always sleep in. And how I need ten hours of sleep and I still feel tired. And normal people thinking that working night shift means that I don't need to sleep, what do you mean you can't meet up with me in the morning?
But I don't really want to deal with management and all the day shift chaos.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Get better friends, experiment with a structured sleep schedule that works for you, or go to days and do whatever

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Roki B posted:

Get better friends, experiment with a structured sleep schedule that works for you, or go to days and do whatever
Listen to this.

Because yeah, if work already feels chaotic then a day shift med-surg gig is not a smart move.

If you’ve survived a year or so in the icu then you probably are a decent resource for some things.

Or you know, take a pay cut, deal with way more management and patient family bullshit, and down doing dressing changes/med passes/feeding.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

trauma llama posted:

Listen to this.

Because yeah, if work already feels chaotic then a day shift med-surg gig is not a smart move.

If you’ve survived a year or so in the icu then you probably are a decent resource for some things.

Or you know, take a pay cut, deal with way more management and patient family bullshit, and down doing dressing changes/med passes/feeding.

Listen to these guys. Med/Surg during the day is chaotic AF. We had to do rounds with SW and CM on top of having 8 pts and everything trauma llama said. I didn't feel like a nurse.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Maybe it’s time for you to move on to a different unit? Day shift med/surg is hellish even with adequate staffing and a good crew. Day shift elsewhere (outpatient surgery, OR, or infusion center, for example) are more chill. ICU is steady work on all shifts if you’re looking to increase your skills.

I was way more tired after med/surg day shift than I was after a night shift.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I work med/surg days and I can't wait to get the hell out.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I've been doing icu nights for 8 years now. I'm officially one of the olds compared to all the new nurses. I remember being one so I do my best to shepard the good ones to further success. 'm on the fence about second career to ICU new grads because in my experience they aren't thriving or picking up the critical thinking at nearly the same speed that their younger peers are.

edit: the second career peeps certainly are trying very hard, but are slightly behind traditional new-grads and seem to need more help and guidance. I don't think its just extra caution either, it just seems harder to transition to nursing from other careers that build up different skillsets

Roki B fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 2, 2019

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations for a resume writing service? I need to update my CV and I'm exceptionally bad at finding a concise and relevant way to describe all the poo poo I do.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
There's a great service right here on the forums, I can vouch for this dude from my own experience

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

pyknosis posted:

There's a great service right here on the forums, I can vouch for this dude from my own experience

I sent them a message. Thanks a lot!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Night shift crew checking in. Worked only one day since I've been off orientation by choice because I was having issues picking up shifts and it was the worst day I've had. And that was on an ICU. The past few weeks I've been talking to a friend that has been primarily working nights for a few years on a tele floor and wants to transition over back to day shift for a more "normal" life style. Then she proceeds to tell me how absolutely chaotic it is with having 4-5 patients who are either a combination of isolation or total care, X number of medical teams seeing Y patient during rounds and who request the nurse to be present, plus family, plus 1:1 feedings, plus meds, etc, etc. All the while having to constantly refresh your task list to see if the docs are putting in any new orders that they neglect to mention to you. I told her she was a bigger masochist than I was.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Been thinking about getting out of my awful call center job and pursuing a RN program. Would I be wasting my time with a six year old DUI and ten year old trespassing/reckless conduct charges?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

shirunei posted:

Been thinking about getting out of my awful call center job and pursuing a RN program. Would I be wasting my time with a six year old DUI and ten year old trespassing/reckless conduct charges?

Six year DUI would be the one that does it for you and boards are notoriously lovely and vague about giving a 'yes or no' but ask your state board.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

shirunei posted:

even if your board of nursing tells you "hard no, don't bother trying, you'll be categorically disqualified", healthcare is a huge, very complex, highly labor-divided and labor-intensive industry, with many kinds of work needing to be done, all of which would likely be an improvement on job satisfaction and pay over an awful call center job, if it's anything like my old awful call center job

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

even if your board of nursing tells you "hard no, don't bother trying, you'll be categorically disqualified", healthcare is a huge, very complex, highly labor-divided and labor-intensive industry, with many kinds of work needing to be done, all of which would likely be an improvement on job satisfaction and pay over an awful call center job, if it's anything like my old awful call center job

I worked in SPD for four years, sadly it's a straight up poverty wage. Good to know I'll be tier 1 support till the end of my days :sigh:

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

shirunei posted:

I worked in SPD for four years, sadly it's a straight up poverty wage. Good to know I'll be tier 1 support till the end of my days :sigh:

Like Roki said, check with your board. I’ve heard of people with worse than a DUI getting through nursing school.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!
Could people please share what they did for work/income during their studies and their experiences please? Is it a good idea to start working in healthcare/hospitals as soon as you can to make connections?

combee fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 8, 2019

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Before nursing school I was a CNA. Once I got into school, doing CNA work plus studying nursing was overwhelming, so I worked as a dog grooming assistant instead. It was similar pay but lots of fun and helped take my mind off school.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I worked doing nursing adjacent research at a fancy hospital throughout my degree. When I graduated I applied for an RN job in the hospital I consolidated at (different hospital). I don't even think the interviewer asked me any questions at all about my research job, all she cared about was that I did my IP with them.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I had two part time jobs (server, and fast food) and also a couple other gigs throughout school. Although I lived with my parents at the time as I was just out of highschool. My interview experience was centred on my IP and other placements.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!
Thanks - I'm tossing up my options but right now I'm thinking that poor management is not worth it for a role which isn't giving me any clinical experience (esp this far before I even start my studies). I've got options to consider and it's great to know that placements can help with getting your foot in the door.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I progress in my studies!

Marchofthepenguins
Jun 1, 2016

Mental hygiene should be practiced after every meal
I had absolutely zip healthcare experience when I got into my program. I want to get a CNA or home health aide job when I’m done with my first semester, but right now I’m really just too exhausted to plan that out properly. I have a do-nothing student job which basically pays me to sit in the library and study, which I feel has helped me on the academic side at least.

I’m in my first clinical at the hospital. I haven’t done a med pass yet; probably will this week though. I’m kinda nervous about messing it up, to be honest. I know the five rights and everything, just worried about stupid things like time management.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Marchofthepenguins posted:

I had absolutely zip healthcare experience when I got into my program. I want to get a CNA or home health aide job when I’m done with my first semester, but right now I’m really just too exhausted to plan that out properly. I have a do-nothing student job which basically pays me to sit in the library and study, which I feel has helped me on the academic side at least.

I’m in my first clinical at the hospital. I haven’t done a med pass yet; probably will this week though. I’m kinda nervous about messing it up, to be honest. I know the five rights and everything, just worried about stupid things like time management.

I thought there were nine. Or was it seven?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
The golden rule of medication administration is don’t give your patient loving vecuronium instead of versed.

Marchofthepenguins
Jun 1, 2016

Mental hygiene should be practiced after every meal

Roki B posted:

I thought there were nine. Or was it seven?

My school lets us get away with five. I suppose they got them on a discount.

B-Mac posted:

The golden rule of medication administration is don’t give your patient loving vecuronium instead of versed.

I gave my first injection and the patient is still alive! At least I can go to sleep with the knowledge that I did not literally execute anyone today.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Congratulations! Now you see how easy it is? The rest of your education will be equally easy. Keep up the good work.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I worked EMS as an EMT-I and an E.R tech throughout nursing school, and was able to work essentially full time hours and use the national guard for health insurance. Overall it was super helpful for both general medical knowledge and for getting my foot into the E.D immediately after graduating with my degree. My boss thought I did a good job in the EMS field along with E.R tech roles so my interview for the E.D nursing position was really just a 10 minute overview of what days I would be working.

The experience from my EMS and E.D tech was valuable, not in the sense of "I know more than most nurses now" kind of thing but the flow of patient care, protocols and just how I manage an E.D patient from beginning to end of care. I learned a poo poo ton and continue to learn even with 6 years of E.R experience and 2+ years of flight.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

B-Mac posted:

What about atracurium instead? Yes, this is totally a thing someone did. Fortunately it had a better outcome apparently.

The wildest thing about the accidental vec snafu is that you have to reconstitute vec from a powder. The bottles also have “PARALYZING AGENT” written all over the loving vial.

Also med gently caress ups happen. Someone once handed me 1mg/ml syringe of phenylephrine instead of a 100mcg/ml vial. That could have been a wild ride.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

trauma llama posted:

Also med gently caress ups happen. Someone once handed me 1mg/ml syringe of phenylephrine instead of a 100mcg/ml vial. That could have been a wild ride.
Holy poo poo. Forget kickstart the heart, that'll blow the bitch right up. I remember someone had a student that was going to give 8 units of insulin and instead was drawing up 8mL... in insulin syringes. So I get that students are dumb but wouldn't you realize by the time you had filled a few syringes, "drat, this is a lot of insulin. Weird!"

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Holy poo poo. Forget kickstart the heart, that'll blow the bitch right up. I remember someone had a student that was going to give 8 units of insulin and instead was drawing up 8mL... in insulin syringes. So I get that students are dumb but wouldn't you realize by the time you had filled a few syringes, "drat, this is a lot of insulin. Weird!"

Phenylephrine won’t kickstart poo poo. It’s all alpha-1. It’s going to clamp your vessels tighter than a vice and your heart is going to explode while trying to slam blood into the wall of clamped blood vessels. That or you stroke out.

Yeah I’ve heard of people pushing 10ml of insulin during a rapid response. The patient didn’t do so well.

I’ve personally seen ED docs kill patients by pushing succinylcholine on an ALS patient (pretty much the One person you never give that drug) and once by screaming at a paramedic until she pushed a code dose of epinephrine on a frail beating heart.

Or the anesthesia student on the ob floor who pushed an entire 10cc syringe of phenylephrine into someone’s epidural catheter. Turns out nothing happened though.

Some med errors are far more murderous than others, but they definitely happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

trauma llama posted:

What about atracurium instead? Yes, this is totally a thing someone did. Fortunately it had a better outcome apparently.

The wildest thing about the accidental vec snafu is that you have to reconstitute vec from a powder. The bottles also have “PARALYZING AGENT” written all over the loving vial.

Oh med fucks absolutely do happen but like you said, you gotta reconstitute that poo poo, what the gently caress? Though I haven’t given a med in three years and my biggest work worry in life right is now is whether I’m gonna work a four or eight hour day.