Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tarnop posted:

Just calling this list of landlines at 10am on a Monday to get a highly representative sample of voters

What do you mean that no one under 40 has a landline any more? Don't think it matters, we've got a fair view of the populace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do you prefer the adonis Boris Johnson or the pathetic anti-semitic bitch Jeremy Corbyn?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Is there anyone he hasn't called at this point?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

Is there anyone he hasn't called at this point?

ghostbusters :dadjoke:

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

ghostbusters :dadjoke:

tbh I'd be entirely unsurprised if it emerged he had attempted to call the ghostbusters

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Archaeology Hat posted:

tbh I'd be entirely unsurprised if it emerged he had attempted to call the ghostbusters

Mike, get me this "Egon" fella, he seems pretty smart.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

lot of nature out there today!

saw wasps, a bee, a different kind of bee, a bigass butterfly dancing around and then a dragonfly in the space of 10 minutes

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

There's 35% missing from these numbers.

Presumably from people saying "Don't know", which means that there's a lot of voters up for grabs, and also people who say don't know to a preference opinion question like this are lower than liberals.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Vast leisure catamarans off the Isle of Wight. I watched Jason Donovan CDs glitter in the dark near Pyongyang. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to Brexit.

Gutted that this weeks podcast won’t top this post :chanpop:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

What do you mean that no one under 40 has a landline any more?

Relieved to find out I no longer exist.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Gutted that this weeks podcast won’t top this post :chanpop:

Talking of which, when's the planned release? Got to drive from London to north of Wigan for a larp thing tomorrow and could really use good talking-noises to keep the M6 from driving me to suicide.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Did I miss this thread chatting about it, or did Michael Gove hobnobbing at a party with Prison Paul, a bin Laden and Kevin loving Spacey not become a big deal? I just found out about it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Did I miss this thread chatting about it, or did Michael Gove hobnobbing at a party with Prison Paul, a bin Laden and Kevin loving Spacey not become a big deal? I just found out about it.

We just kinda lolled about the great nonce pool party and moved on due to other insanity.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Camrath posted:

Talking of which, when's the planned release? Got to drive from London to north of Wigan for a larp thing tomorrow and could really use good talking-noises to keep the M6 from driving me to suicide.

Recording today AFAIK, might be out tomorrow or Friday depending on our benevolent editor and his mysterious whims (read: insomnia)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Would Leveson 2 be sufficient press regulation, should we get a Labour government, or do folks think it needs to go further?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Would Leveson 2 be sufficient press regulation, should we get a Labour government, or do folks think it needs to go further?

It would be better but, an independent press regulator is definitely needed rather than IPSO which is just a swastika-shapped rubber stamp.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Bulldozer, hole, petrol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I back Frankie Boyle's reform, that the Mail should be forced to put "The Paper That Supported Hitler" on the top of their front page, not to warn people that they're far right extremists, but to ensure that there's one verifiable fact in there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"I'll show you, but only if you promise not to laugh." https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1179366597066182656

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Camrath posted:

Miftan posted:

Recording today AFAIK, might be out tomorrow or Friday depending on our benevolent editor and his mysterious whims (read: insomnia)

It'll be out in the early hours of this morning I reckon, that is hoping nothing goes wrong with anyone's ability to quickly throw their audio up for me to use!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

"I'll show you, but only if you promise not to laugh." https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1179366597066182656

yeah bet he'll find lots of various EU leaders eager to relieve barnier of responsibility for brexit lmao

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Everything is so stupid

https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1179372112412315648?s=21

Clarence
May 3, 2012

As this latest brexit plan is the "final" one, when the EU rejects it (which they will), what are the chances that the opposition parties get together and change the Benn bill so that the PM has to request an extension immediately?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Why do the right need to make everything cool and radical suck

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Landline procedure:

Landline rings
Check mobiles for missed calls from parents
Ignore landline

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tarnop posted:

Someone on twitter posted about the questions that can lead up to them asking about preference for PM in polls, and they are absolutely designed to get you angry about specific poo poo beforehand

pretend I posted the video from Yes Minister about opinion polls

e: this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

What do you mean that no one under 40 has a landline any more? Don't think it matters, we've got a fair view of the populace
It does sort of explain how Swinson and the Tories are loving up so badly. They want polls that show they're doing well, so their spin doctors comission polls with leading questions in order to look good. Then the idiot MPs read them, take them as gospel and make Cummings level gambits based on polls they should already have known were bent. Absolute bellends.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:honk: if you're horny

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Tesseraction posted:

It's just so loving bad. This doesn't have a hope in hell if it's anything like what's been proposed.

BoJo did it in his speech as well - 4 years of Irish Sea border because by then the technology fairy will have worked its magic.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junior G-man posted:

It's just so loving bad. This doesn't have a hope in hell if it's anything like what's been proposed.

BoJo did it in his speech as well - 4 years of Irish Sea border because by then the technology fairy will have worked its magic.

this is him trying to force a vonc or something? at least it might put an end to the ~negotiations~ i guess

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

this is him trying to force a vonc or something? at least it might put an end to the ~negotiations~ i guess

the opposition parties still won't fall for it

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think this is him either being serious (because I'm near convinced that he doesn't actually understand the border situation), or him pretending to negotiate so he forces the EU to say no to this bullshit offer, allowing him to campaign on 'we were reasonable but the EU betrayed us'.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I think we can all agree that polls are bullshit, but lets not pretend that there isnt a load of idiots out there who believe every bit of bullshit the media spins about Corbyn. The sheer amount of people I have heard say something like "Corbyn is unelectable", "I would never vote for Corbyn because he is an IRA sympathiser", "Hes an anti-Semite", "He seems weak", ect ect. It just goes on and on. The worst thing is that you can challenge it and ask them why they think what they do and refute it, but even when they cant back up a single thing they say, their minds are set and nothing is going to help.

I would absolutely love to see Corbyn as PM but there is definitely a part of me that thinks it might be better to get someone else in the leadership position at this point. Its ridiculous because one thing you hear people say almost all the time is that they would prefer a politician that was different and when we get one, the public believes literally every stupid lie the right wing says.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

For what it's worth, I, an early 30s person get political research calls from Populous on my mobile (and don't have a landline). Then again AFAIK they're one of the good ones.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

All of Corbyns critics slur him because of his positions- any talk of replacements will have the same treatment unless they have different positions.

That's literally the end of the discussion unless you personally have a problem with a position Corbyn has taken. It's also how you change people's minds by winning them over on the issue and then letting their attachment to the issue override the abstract notion of Corbyn Bad.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Once again this is prioritising action over all other things in a political sense. Why is this true? Why is this accurate? Instead this sounds, at best, like your repeating something you once heard.

Well it _is_ true; have you never worn boots or shoes? They wear out from constant grinding abrasion, and having holes in your shoes when it’s wet sucks.

If you prefer an argument from authority, try Terry Pratchett, who as several people pointed out the analogy was derived from

The poor man is not wrong to buy cheap boots; they are not making a foolish mistake that some liberal well wisher could correct them on. They are acting according to real economic facts about the situation they are in. To wish you could buy a rich man’s boots is to wish you were rich.

In other words, if the Labour left had a well known and widely popular leader-in waiting, it wouldn’t be the Labour left. But sooner or later we are either going to have to settle for what we can afford. Something that is neither broken, nor a useless pair of flip flops.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't think you understand Pratchett mate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm cool with letting Big John have a go after the next election.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yes but can you tell what part of the city you're in from the feel of the cobbles?

On the Pratchett derail thanks to the thread instead of planning for my new job and reading shitload of games design white papers I've just been reading all of Discworld from the start. I just finished The Fifth Elephant last night. Ploughing on enjoying every second. Goal is to finish the lot before I start work on the 14th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

blunt posted:

For what it's worth, I, an early 30s person get political research calls from Populous on my mobile (and don't have a landline). Then again AFAIK they're one of the good ones.

Yes, despite what the internet thinks, mobile phones get called, too. In part because some of these dialers work by using a list of auto generated phone numbers, not actually a list from someplace.

Anyway I know it’s not new but I just came across this pasture of May and feel, much like the photo after Bojo’s parliamentary loss, it’s probably her most common expression when she reads the news.