Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Se7en was way more popular than Fight Club too. Everybody watched and talked about Se7en, Fight Club was mostly popular with early 20ish dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Enos Cabell posted:

Se7en was way more popular than Fight Club too. Everybody watched and talked about Se7en, Fight Club was mostly popular with early 20ish dudes.

You're definitely at least five years younger or older than me, but I can't tell which.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't know about that. My freshman year of college was in 2002, and all my roommate and his friends could talk about was Fight Club and Boondock Saints.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

I don't know about that. My freshman year of college was in 2002, and all my roommate and his friends could talk about was Fight Club and Boondock Saints.

I probably watched that as a double feature back then, I can't imagine what I would think about those movies back to back now.

I will say my grandad watched Se7en in theaters, he didn't like it but some sort of cultural zeitgeist compelled him to see it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Timby posted:

You're absolutely right and that statement should be amended to late teens - early 20s dudes. Definite oversight not to include 18 and 19 year olds.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Boondock Saints is one of the worst movies of all time and dear god please watch Overnight if you haven't. It's the behind the scenes of the first one and it's just filled to the oozing edge with such douche baggery you have no idea.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hah, well I'm old enough that I saw both Se7en and Fight Club opening night. Fight Club was absolutely huge in the teen and early 20ish dude demographic, but Se7en had that plus our parents talking about it too. It made over 3x as much at the box office.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm a massive, cliche'd fan of Fight Club so beware my rose-coloured glasses.

But I'd say Fight Club had a way bigger impact and influence. I would put Fight Club close to my top 10 list (on some days, including it). People walk around quoting it, joking endlessly about "You don't talk about Fight Club" and Fight Club offered some interesting social commentary (regardless of whether or not you agree with it)

It has a very similar visual style (obviously), so while Seven came first, I would argue Fight Club had a bigger impact.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
First rule of Fight Club is young White guys can't stop talking about Fight Club.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVMLivHTXac

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it would be cool if they re-shot all of the john doe parts with christopher plummer so i would have a reason to ever rewatch that movie

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

H13 posted:

I'm a massive, cliche'd fan of Fight Club so beware my rose-coloured glasses.

But I'd say Fight Club had a way bigger impact and influence. I would put Fight Club close to my top 10 list (on some days, including it). People walk around quoting it, joking endlessly about "You don't talk about Fight Club" and Fight Club offered some interesting social commentary (regardless of whether or not you agree with it)

It has a very similar visual style (obviously), so while Seven came first, I would argue Fight Club had a bigger impact.

I think we're talking about two different things though. In terms of cultural zeitgeist then I think Fight Club had a bigger impact. In terms of visual influence I don't think I could say a group of people were more influenced by Fight Club than Seven. Maybe a small margin of folks that walked a thin line of coming into filmmaking in the few years separating them, but I think Seven had the larger impact on filmmaking visually. Fight Club was just more of what people liked in Fincher.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

it would be cool if they re-shot all of the john doe parts with christopher plummer so i would have a reason to ever rewatch that movie

Most movies would benefit from more Christopher Plummer, but Spacey playing a bad guy is completely in character with the real thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fight Club actually kinda bombed at the box office (domestically, but then foreign revenue wasn't as big a thing back then) and became a cult thing over time, while Se7en was an outright hit. Arguably the former has grown larger in pop culture in retrospect, but Se7en was David Fincher's first successful feature film (after the mess of Alien 3).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I remember many young peers thinking the sloth scene was the most amazing thing to ever be filmed.

Of course that's coming from viewers whose top ten probably looked like:

Wayne's World
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Basic Instinct
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Predator
My Girl
Se7en
Forrest Gump
The Bodyguard
So I Married an Axe Murderer

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Those are still all great movies, though. Life was harder in the 90s, we only had Blockbuster or TBS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

I remember many young peers thinking the sloth scene was the most amazing thing to ever be filmed.

Of course that's coming from viewers whose top ten probably looked like:

Wayne's World
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Basic Instinct
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Predator
My Girl
Se7en
Forrest Gump
The Bodyguard
So I Married an Axe Murderer

Not the worst top ten list I've seen

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Why do you hate Mike Myers?

Also My Girl was that generation's Bridges of Terabithia when it comes to teaching kids about surprise death.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not saying that's a bad list. Just that it's limited in length, breadth, heighth, scope within the movie universe.
i.e. they were all very popular and recent US films.

None of my jr. high friends were raving about:

Come and See
Sunset Boulevard
Vertigo
Solaris
Zardoz
Blood Simple
Johnny Got His Gun
The Big Sleep
Red Angel
Three Colors: Blue

They were more ecstatic about Dr. Giggles or Hot Shots!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Zogo posted:

I'm not saying that's a bad list. Just that it's limited in length, breadth, heighth, scope within the movie universe.

None of my jr. high friends were raving about :

Come and See
Sunset Boulevard
Vertigo
Solaris
Zardoz
Blood Simple
Johnny Got His Gun
The Big Sleep
Red Angel

Why in the world would you expect 11 year olds to care about any of those movies? I honestly can't understand what you're thinking.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ariza posted:

Why in the world would you expect 11 year olds to care about any of those movies? I honestly can't understand what you're thinking.

I wouldn't think any kid would be that cultured and into foreign films at that age. My basic point was that the sloth scene is not viewed as the most amazing scene in film history for those who've seen thousands of films. Most people make the jump from kids fare to adult stuff at some point. Although I have heard anecdotes of kids first theater experience being Alien. Or adults who just stick to Disney.

A broader point is that people generally start out viewing the most accessible, popular and recent art in their culture. And it's only a very narrow slice of what is out there. Se7en was a glimpse into a new adult world for a lot of people. Kind of like Less Than Zero was for some people a few years earlier.

Every few years a few touchstones like this are released although I haven't kept track as to what they are.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zogo posted:

Just that it's limited in length, breadth, heighth, scope within the movie universe.

Scopeth.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zogo posted:

I wouldn't think any kid would be that cultured and into foreign films at that age. My basic point was that the sloth scene is not viewed as the most amazing scene in film history for those who've seen thousands of films. Most people make the jump from kids fare to adult stuff at some point. Although I have heard anecdotes of kids first theater experience being Alien. Or adults who just stick to Disney.

A broader point is that people generally start out viewing the most accessible, popular and recent art in their culture. And it's only a very narrow slice of what is out there. Se7en was a glimpse into a new adult world for a lot of people. Kind of like Less Than Zero was for some people a few years earlier.

Every few years a few touchstones like this are released although I haven't kept track as to what they are.

Sloth love Chunk!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zogo posted:

None of my jr. high friends were raving about :

Come and See
Sunset Boulevard
Vertigo
Solaris
Zardoz
Blood Simple
Johnny Got His Gun
The Big Sleep
Red Angel

I had the Dr. Giggles comic adaptation.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm trying to figure out the smallest age difference between an actor and an actress playing their mother in a movie. I'm not including that Justin Timberlake movie.

So far I'm at Glenn Close playing Mel Gibson's mother in Hamlet, with her being 9 years older.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

I'm trying to figure out the smallest age difference between an actor and an actress playing their mother in a movie. I'm not including that Justin Timberlake movie.

So far I'm at Glenn Close playing Mel Gibson's mother in Hamlet, with her being 9 years older.

Wasn't the woman who played Cary Grant's mom in North By Northwest actually younger than him?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ego-bot posted:

Anne Bancroft and Katherine Ross in The Graduate were 8 years apart
Oh Angela Lansbury was only 3 years older than her son in The Manchurian Candidate

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 10, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ego-bot posted:

Drew Barrymore was two years younger than Adam Garcia in Riding in Cars With Boys. There's only a year age gap between Angelina Jolie and Colin Farrell, who played mother and son in Alexander.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In Unbreakable, Elijah's mother's actress was older than SLJ, iirc. Though that's due to her being mostly in flashbacks and also because SLJ doesn't age.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
She is brought back for Glass as well. SLJ is 5 years her senior I believe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You've already found closer and better examples, but Sally Field is only 10 years older than Tom Hanks.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You've already found closer and better examples, but Sally Field is only 10 years older than Tom Hanks.

She was the right age with the young Forrest actor though. Should they have gotten an actual 95 year old actress to play his mother at the end?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

She was the right age with the young Forrest actor though. Should they have gotten an actual 95 year old actress to play his mother at the end?

No, I wasn't saying they did a bad job, I fee like she played his momma as a senior very well, actually. I was just saying that IRL they're not that far apart, much like the other examples that were given recently. :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drunken Master 2 always felt weird because while Jackie Chan is younger than his father's actor it's only by eight years and judging by looks it's not actually clear who's older. And he's nine years older than his step-mom's actor. Both of which might not be all that weird but Chan also plays Wong Fei-hung like he's a teen or twenty-something and he is clearly anything but.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lobok posted:

Drunken Master 2 always felt weird because while Jackie Chan is younger than his father's actor it's only by eight years and judging by looks it's not actually clear who's older. And he's nine years older than his step-mom's actor. Both of which might not be all that weird but Chan also plays Wong Fei-hung like he's a teen or twenty-something and he is clearly anything but.

Forget it Lobok, it's Chinatown.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

What’s the best way to figure out when Parasite will be opening in my area?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I usually check Fandango

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

morestuff posted:

I usually check Fandango

All it tells me is that it is not available :shrug:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Klungar posted:

All it tells me is that it is not available :shrug:

Check movietickets.com too. They’ll show non-fandango theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Check movietickets.com too. They’ll show non-fandango theaters.

No luck, just still not available. Thanks though.

Another completely unrelated question: during the conclusion of "The Greatest Showman", PT Barnum, his museum/circus building in Manhattan having just burned down, remarks that "Real estate in Manhattan is a terrible investment", before deciding to reopen his circus in a tent down by the docks. Is this true? A joke showing Barnum's lack of business sense? With our current President, I'm not sure whether to think being in the New York real estate business is a savvy move or not.