Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My brother in law has a first name for his first middle name and a last name for his second middle name. It's like he has a whole other person's identitity hiding in his name just out of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Middle names should be good little nuggets of meaningful poignancy but then people just slap in common meaningless stuff like "Lynn" or "Marie" or "Lee".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The War Queer posted:

I don't see anything wrong with that

Immigration officers occasionally disagree.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My middle name is hyphenated, and my middle initials are MF. It's pretty rad. :coal:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have 7 names (8 if the hyphenated name counts as 2); 4 given names, and 3 (or 4) surnames. It is hell.
In my own country (Australia) my "legal" name is different with just about every organisation, because every organisation has different ways of truncating names that are too long.
Only my driver's licence and passport have my whole name. But Medicare, the bank, my university, the tax office, the blood donor centre, etc.... Some places will just use, for example, names 1 and 8. Others will use 1 and 5; or 1, 5, 6, 7, and 8. But some will use something like 1, 2, 3, half of 4, and 5; or 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and half of 8.

I'm incredibly lucky that I'm a dual citizen, because my 2 passports + driver's licence (which all have my full name) = more than 100 points of ID, otherwise I'd never be able to prove my identity.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My daughter has two middle names but one of them is my own middle name, which is afaik almost completely unique and originally a portmanteau tribute to my grandmothers. Since I'm adopted I thought it was something I could use to create my own legacy, I guess, I dunno. We almost never use it except on paperwork, it's just kinda there for posterity.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My baby sister has two first names, two middle names, and a hyphenated last name. Can't wait until we have to get her her first passport.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My baby sister has two first names, two middle names, and a hyphenated last name. Can't wait until we have to get her her first passport.

Your parents are monsters, and your sister's resentment towards them will grow steadily every time she's asked to provide her name.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

jojoinnit posted:

My father in law has 3 middle names (2 from birth, 1 from confirmation) and he hates having to write out his name so much that his kids all have only one name, short and sweet. I personally like middle names since they let you use a first initial sometimes like an old timey lawyer but anything more than one is just cruel.

I hate my first name so I go by my middle name, but any official stuff like research publications I add my first initial. I feel so upper-crust!

Not actually a terrible name in terms of being named after a video game character or something, but I had a friend in college who went through a bit of an identity crisis. Her parents didn't give her a middle name, and her much younger sister did get a middle name. One day she announced she decided she was giving herself a middle name... which was the same as her sister's because she decided she 'deserved it more'.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LadyPictureShow posted:

Not actually a terrible name in terms of being named after a video game character or something, but I had a friend in college who went through a bit of an identity crisis. Her parents didn't give her a middle name, and her much younger sister did get a middle name. One day she announced she decided she was giving herself a middle name... which was the same as her sister's because she decided she 'deserved it more'.

This is some magnificent family drama. Was there fallout?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Did she do this while in college ? Or did you know someone while in college, who pulled this magnificently petty stunt when she was a small child ?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I hate my first name so I go by my middle name, but any official stuff like research publications I add my first initial. I feel so upper-crust!

My dad did this too! On my parents marriage certificate he has a middle name that he absolutely does not have today. When we probed him about it he admitted that for a few years when he was younger he gave himself a middle name and took it very seriously. I wonder if that means they're not actually married since that specific person named technically doesn't exist?

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Found a woman named Circus today.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lady Disdain posted:

Your parents are monsters, and your sister's resentment towards them will grow steadily every time she's asked to provide her name.

Same mom, different dads and a 20 year age difference. Pretty sure I told this thread once my first name was originally going to be Moon but my dad refused to sign off on it and they negotiated my first name. Mom got to chose the spelling, dad chose the name.

My dad named me after his ex-girlfriend.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Same mom, different dads and a 20 year age difference. Pretty sure I told this thread once my first name was originally going to be Moon but my dad refused to sign off on it and they negotiated my first name. Mom got to chose the spelling, dad chose the name.

My dad named me after his ex-girlfriend.

Too bad they didn't both get to pick one; you could have been Moon Bitch.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Too bad they didn't both get to pick one; you could have been Moon Bitch.

:five:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

LadyPictureShow posted:

Reminds me of the Anastasia Krupnik books I read when I was a kid. The character doesn't have a middle name, so she decided to go to her friend's Catholic church to get confirmed because she heard that they get to pick a new middle name that way. I think the name she picked for herself was "Perpetua" from a list of saints names but it's been like 20+ years since I've seen one of those books.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Bees on Wheat posted:

Reminds me of the Anastasia Krupnik books I read when I was a kid. The character doesn't have a middle name, so she decided to go to her friend's Catholic church to get confirmed because she heard that they get to pick a new middle name that way. I think the name she picked for herself was "Perpetua" from a list of saints names but it's been like 20+ years since I've seen one of those books.

Omg yes. It WAS Perpetua. I remember thinking it was a questionable choice.

I love those books!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lady Disdain posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Did she do this while in college ? Or did you know someone while in college, who pulled this magnificently petty stunt when she was a small child ?

This was when we were in college. She took a break-up with her boyfriend really hard, and got a little weird about wanting to change/reinvent herself.

Of course, the first order of business was to go on Facebook and slap her brand new middle name in there. Her sister was nine or ten when she made this decision.

Antivehicular posted:

This is some magnificent family drama. Was there fallout?

As for fallout, that's a good question. She was a senior when she decided on it, so I kinda lost touch with her after she graduated. She did mention telling her parents and her sister getting upset because it was her name first and my friend should pick a different one. As for her parents' reaction, I sadly don't know.

E: on the topic of confirmation names, do some branches add that to their actual given name? Say if someone is named Jack Brian Smith, do they go by Jack Brian Ambrose Smith after confirmation? Or is it more of a 'okay, you're confirmed as Ambrose, we'll never speak of it again'.

I was my youngest cousin's confirmation sponsor but I had no clue about it, or why they even okayed me since I'm not Catholic.

LadyPictureShow has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Oct 4, 2019

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

LadyPictureShow posted:

This was when we were in college. She took a break-up with her boyfriend really hard, and got a little weird about wanting to change/reinvent herself.

Of course, the first order of business was to go on Facebook and slap her brand new middle name in there. Her sister was nine or ten when she made this decision.

This is one of the most spectacularly petty things I've ever heard. So congrats to her for raising the bar, I guess.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tulalip Tulips posted:

So are you something like "Lisa, pronounced Betty"

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

More like "Cynthia spelled Sinthiyah" but replace with a relatively popular 80s name.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why does your mom hate you

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: on the topic of confirmation names, do some branches add that to their actual given name? Say if someone is named Jack Brian Smith, do they go by Jack Brian Ambrose Smith after confirmation? Or is it more of a 'okay, you're confirmed as Ambrose, we'll never speak of it again'.

I was my youngest cousin's confirmation sponsor but I had no clue about it, or why they even okayed me since I'm not Catholic.
Everyone I know who does that makes it part of their legal name. This might be a European thing where it's taken more seriously though. I don't know anyone who uses it/goes by it but for their legal names it becomes an annoying second middle name (or for my father in law, his freaking third).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've never heard of anyone legalising their confirmation name here in Australia, or in Spain, Norway or France where my family is from. Maybe in super catholic countries, though.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

I've never heard of anyone legalising their confirmation name here in Australia, or in Spain, Norway or France where my family is from. Maybe in super catholic countries, though.

I only know Ireland and the Netherlands. I don't exactly go asking people this, I just happen to know 2 people who have a confirmation name as one of their middle names so that's just my experience. The youngest is mid-late 30s so I wouldn't be surprised if it stopped being a thing in general a long long time ago and I just happen to know a couple of people who grew up unluckily religious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm a native of a 'Catholic' country and I don't even know what a confirmation name is. But then my parents are atheists and I was never baptized, so I'm not the person to ask.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

jojoinnit posted:

I only know Ireland and the Netherlands. I don't exactly go asking people this, I just happen to know 2 people who have a confirmation name as one of their middle names so that's just my experience. The youngest is mid-late 30s so I wouldn't be surprised if it stopped being a thing in general a long long time ago and I just happen to know a couple of people who grew up unluckily religious.

Without any other knowledge, if I were to name a country in which I thought this likely, I'd say Ireland, so who knows.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Tulalip Tulips posted:

More like "Cynthia spelled Sinthiyah" but replace with a relatively popular 80s name.

nice to meet you, Gennyfyrre

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

nice to meet you, Gennyfyrre

Tyfanni, perhaps.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
most likely jhesykka

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

One of the ten thousand interchangeable Twitter politics idiots is named Harry Cherry. It's his real name and he keeps using it instead of a pseudonym no matter how many people ask him if that's really his name.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sit on my Jace posted:

One of the ten thousand interchangeable Twitter politics idiots is named Harry Cherry. It's his real name and he keeps using it instead of a pseudonym no matter how many people ask him if that's really his name.

No joke, earlier today he popped into my head but I couldn't for the life of me remember what his name actually was, so I was trying all sorts of silly combinations of fruit and things in my head but none sounded right. Then I forgot about it until just now so thanks!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

I have 7 names (8 if the hyphenated name counts as 2); 4 given names, and 3 (or 4) surnames. It is hell.
In my own country (Australia) my "legal" name is different with just about every organisation, because every organisation has different ways of truncating names that are too long.
Only my driver's licence and passport have my whole name. But Medicare, the bank, my university, the tax office, the blood donor centre, etc.... Some places will just use, for example, names 1 and 8. Others will use 1 and 5; or 1, 5, 6, 7, and 8. But some will use something like 1, 2, 3, half of 4, and 5; or 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and half of 8.

I'm incredibly lucky that I'm a dual citizen, because my 2 passports + driver's licence (which all have my full name) = more than 100 points of ID, otherwise I'd never be able to prove my identity.

Not to be rude, but why tf do you have so many names? Is it a culture thing or...? :psyduck:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DicktheCat posted:

Not to be rude, but why tf do you have so many names? Is it a culture thing or...? :psyduck:

Basically, my older brother has 2 names (first and last), and my mum's family got up in arms over the fact that her family isn't at all represented in his name, so she pulled an epic ¿ ¡ ¿ Are you happy now ? ! ? and hugely overcompensated with me.

So, I got dad's surname, mum's surname (which is hyphenated), and mum's stepdad's surname. 2 middle names is standard in our culture, but 3 is common. Plus first name.

my parents aren't really arseholes, they just didn't envisage how difficult this would make things.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fawzy

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
trussell
kapriest
jkobe

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lawnmower Man 2: Jkobe's War

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Cheryel, pronounced like Cheryl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jylon, pronounced Jay-Lynn.