Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nazattack posted:

I don't know what I did, but I made it so that no webcam will work at all with my laptop. I'm good at computers.

Accidentally installed gentoo, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would say that you're even more secure with FreeBSD then, but my webcam works fine on FreeBSD. :smith:
Tape to the rescue!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rufus Ping posted:

Congratulations on the move to Linux

He didn't say he couldn't get sound to work

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Am I the only one who's had more problems getting hardware working in Windows than Linux in the last few years?

I mean both are really good at this point, if you have a machine that resembles anything an OEM was shipping at the time development started for a given release you can usually assume all the core stuff will work out of the box and the majority of the rest will grab a usable driver from the internet when connected, but I occasionally have to USB over a network driver to a fresh Windows install. I've also had issues with older Intel GPU drivers on 32 bit Windows 10, but I'll happily chalk that up as one more reason to not run 32 bit Windows 10.

I actually can't think of the last time I had a driver issue on Linux that wasn't related to a proprietary binary. Back in the day it was Broadcom WiFi requiring the Windows driver through NDISWrapper, now it's nVidia on all the newer cards where they refuse to let Nouveaux set clocks.-

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Definitely not. Every piece of hardware I've ever tried has worked flawlessly on Windows. Even the demon boxes known as printers. Linux is a shitshow in comparison.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Definitely not. Every piece of hardware I've ever tried has worked flawlessly on Windows. Even the demon boxes known as printers. Linux is a shitshow in comparison.

:same:

Audio is still a giant cluster gently caress under Linux as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What's the actual usecase for 32bit Win 10 at this point anyways?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You can still run 16-bit dos applications.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

You can still run 16-bit dos applications.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Windows model of fetching from the internet is pretty good. I have problems with an older linux server where the network driver is deprecated out of the kernel and requires reinstall every time the kernel updates.

I should probably get it into dkms or something so it reinstalls itself

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
GPUs are underappreciated as weak security links:

TheFluff posted:

Anyone complain about LED's recently? Fun thread about LED control software secfucks (layman explanation starts a few tweets down the thread):

https://twitter.com/gsuberland/status/1175570500292108289

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Absurd Alhazred posted:

GPUs are underappreciated as weak security links:
The GPUs themselves are pretty secured, given their use in shared-hosting environments. GPUs are hardly the only component infested with lowest-bidder bling kits.

E: to clarify, I mean people might think of a GPU as a possible vulnerability given it's PCIe access, on-board flashable computer and ability to run arbitrary user-generated code. Nobody thinks of your AIO as a target, but of course the lights on it are going to be done just as insecurely as the GPU itself.

And let's not forget the brave new world of DoS via LED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnST5rA64Oc

Harik fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 25, 2019

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Am I the only one who's had more problems getting hardware working in Windows than Linux in the last few years?

Yes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

if by "last few years" you mean "last 15 years" then no, no you're not

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks like Microsoft's SIEM, Sentinel, is leaving preview. Anyone using it? My new place is a disaster and I'm scrambling to put tools in place, so I had started sending data that way but haven't been playing with it much yet.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 25, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We started testing it a couple months ago, I'm a fan, but it still feels incomplete.

That screenshot I posted last week was the result of sentinel + powerbi.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Looks like Microsoft's SIEM, Sentinel, is leaving preview. Anyone using it? My new place is a disaster and I'm scrambling to put tools in place, so I had started sending data that way but haven't been playing with it much yet.

Now that we can see pricing i'm going to start playing with it, It's certainly alot cheaper than other SIEM's i've quoted

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Internet Explorer posted:

Their quote for it last year was worse than Splunk so we walked

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Their quote for it last year was worse than Splunk so we walked

Sentinel preview didn't even start until Feb 2019, and no pricing was available until it went GA like 2 days ago.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Fool posted:

Sentinel preview didn't even start until Feb 2019, and no pricing was available until it went GA like 2 days ago.

They came to us last year because they wanted a big customer to brag about getting onboard at launch, but the pricing was absurd.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Who do you use now? Maybe the pricing has changed? Seems very reasonable to me.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Went with Humio, reasonably happy with it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Iron Rose posted:

In my experience most of the time it's a machine that started life with Windows 7 and less than 4GB of RAM. A lot of OEMs and refurbishers would do this back then, presumably because it made them potentially compatible with old hardware that hadn't received a driver update since XP.

That plus a user with local admin privileges accepting the Windows 10 upgrade and there you go. It doesn't actually need 32 bit, it just has it due to old policies combined with ignorance and/or indifference.

So far I've encountered one situation in the last decade where the 32 bit OS was actually required, for one of my customers that maintains HVAC systems who needed to run software written for Windows 3.1. DOSBox does great with the oldest apps, but stuff from the Win16 era has issues, usually when accessing the parallel port. Windows 10 32 bit runs their software happily as long as it's elevated.

Regarding Linux vs. Windows hardware support, I am talking about core system hardware, as in the kind of stuff that'd be built in to or bundled with a mainstream OEM system or alternatives in the same classes widely available at retail. Chipset, storage, graphics, networking, audio, etc. I have never had to manually load a storage driver during installation or ethernet driver after installation on Linux, where on Windows both of those were common until recently.

I of course 100% agree that as far as obscure consumer gadgets or specialized business hardware goes, basically anything that doesn't fit in to one of those major classes is a crapshoot at best. If it depends on specialized userland software to be useful on Windows there's a good chance that there won't be any such software for Linux even if an appropriate driver for the hardware itself (often just generic USB HID or CDC) is available.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 26, 2019

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Common?? Storage driver during installation? F6 and all that? RAID installs?

Gotta say that doesn't fit with the rest of your argument. You're reaching.

Find me a big pile of off the shelf Inspirons and Pavilions from, say, 2002 through today, and we'll be looking at a big pile of Windows clean installs that don't involve a pre-install driver (minus like one or two for the cool kid owners who'd made BIOS changes for the very relative few that actually supported software/non-HBA RAID).

Hell, through some Optiplexes and ProDesks are the odds are about the same.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 26, 2019

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tapedump posted:

Gotta say that doesn't fit with the rest of your argument.

Honestly I buy it, at least for networking and storage. For enterprise windows operating system deployments, driver CABs, manual deployments, USB sticks with network drivers are all extremely common. I've had numerous cases where, for example, SCCM didn't properly pull storage/network/video card drivers from a share, or a base image didn't properly include the intel HD card's graphics and nobody notices till they try and connect to a meeting room.

Now, you can make arguments about whether or not that's a Windows problem versus broader architectural issues or administration problems, but I've absolutely had to gently caress with drivers on Windows systems. I don't have nearly as much linux experience so I haven't chimed in on this conversation much... and all my *nix machines are in the cloud anyways where drivers are the last thing I have to deal with.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
"Common until recently"
"Mainstream OEM systems"

Reaching. I get the notion, but he's making it poorly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tapedump posted:

Gotta say that doesn't fit with the rest of your argument. You're reaching.
Yeah, thinking about it more the storage side of that one is reaching pretty far, the last time I had to F6 a mainstream machine was in the XP era back when AHCI drivers weren't built in (IIRC pre-SP2). Back then any SATA machines required a F6 driver to work at full speed, IDE emulation was generally an option but neutered performance.

It felt like those complaints were more recent, but I just realized I'm old and have been doing this too long.

For Vista and beyond it was just fancy high-end workstation/server disk controllers and lovely motherboard fakeraid crap. I guess now if one of the Windows 7 holdouts wants to boot from NVMe they'd need to load a driver during install, but the overlap between "still running Windows 7" and "owns NVMe SSDs" has to be pretty tiny. That said it's not unheard of for OEM machines that support a RAID mode to have the AHCI/RAID toggle locked out in the BIOS and stuck in RAID mode, in which case they will require drivers the same as anything else. Lenovo had some fits over a part of their Yoga line doing this a few years ago.

Network drivers on the other hand I stand by the complaint. Until we stopped installing Windows 7 I had a folder of common network drivers on my "handy poo poo to have" USB drive because more often than not I'd need them. I didn't install Windows 8/8.1 enough to really get a feel for whether it changed there. Windows 10 is definitely a lot better but not perfect.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hilarious stuff, AT&T.

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1177302491110760449

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Is there a really basic SIEM program, which I could run in a VM or something that's free and doesn't require the knowledge that some of you guys have, in order to monitor my home network?

I'm thinking of, like, a community edition of a full software suite that will just do basics like watching devices join and leave the network, WiFi access attempts, identification of commonplace interactions between certain devices versus interactions that are unusual etc.

I'd like to receive email notifications for certain events but the software doesn't even need to access my Gmail account because I could just point it to a machine with Postfix set up, if necessary.

I feel like I've put off bothering with monitoring my LAN for too long (although I did have a dabble with Nagios community edition a while ago) and it's time to add something, even if it's just simple.

Heck, if there were something that is cheap enough, I'd probably pay $8 per month (or something less than ten) if it had something cool like an app I could put on my Android phone, then the monitoring software would be logged into my subscribed account. Then I could set up certain triggers for push notifications on the app on my phone. I gather that if I can imagine a setup like this in 5 minutes, then a product like this must exist, right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

apropos man posted:

Is there a really basic SIEM program, which I could run in a VM or something that's free and doesn't require the knowledge that some of you guys have, in order to monitor my home network?

I'm thinking of, like, a community edition of a full software suite that will just do basics like watching devices join and leave the network, WiFi access attempts, identification of commonplace interactions between certain devices versus interactions that are unusual etc.

I'd like to receive email notifications for certain events but the software doesn't even need to access my Gmail account because I could just point it to a machine with Postfix set up, if necessary.

I feel like I've put off bothering with monitoring my LAN for too long (although I did have a dabble with Nagios community edition a while ago) and it's time to add something, even if it's just simple.

Heck, if there were something that is cheap enough, I'd probably pay $8 per month (or something less than ten) if it had something cool like an app I could put on my Android phone, then the monitoring software would be logged into my subscribed account. Then I could set up certain triggers for push notifications on the app on my phone. I gather that if I can imagine a setup like this in 5 minutes, then a product like this must exist, right?

I'm not sure if there is a company that is going to be targeting the "computer enthusiast who wants to spend $100/y" market.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Volmarias posted:

I'm not sure if there is a company that is going to be targeting the "computer enthusiast who wants to spend $100/y" market.

Haha. Alright, then. A recommendation for a package that will do basic network monitoring and I'll configure alerts by email myself.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Iron Rose posted:

We had an instrument vendor tell us that their software didn't really support Win10, but they could usually get it running on 32-bit Win 10. So I tried to get a machine set up with a 32-bit LTSC image. It turns out that HP doesn't do 32-bit Win 10 drivers any more, so we had to have them set up a system. Usually we hate vendor machines, but we had no choice here.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

apropos man posted:

Haha. Alright, then. A recommendation for a package that will do basic network monitoring and I'll configure alerts by email myself.

i think Zeek is the software you are looking for here then. used to be known as “bro”

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mllaneza posted:

We had an instrument vendor tell us that their software didn't really support Win10, but they could usually get it running on 32-bit Win 10. So I tried to get a machine set up with a 32-bit LTSC image. It turns out that HP doesn't do 32-bit Win 10 drivers any more, so we had to have them set up a system. Usually we hate vendor machines, but we had no choice here.

lab instrument vendors need to gently caress off with their "we only support windows 7" bullshit. Linux is fine but there are literally cutting edge scientific instrument vendors that only support win7. That's insanity.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Ranter posted:

lab instrument vendors need to gently caress off with their "we only support windows 7" bullshit. Linux is fine but there are literally cutting edge scientific instrument vendors that only support win7. That's insanity.

It sucks. But the instrument vendors really really want to sell you new software and a computer at a 100 percent markup.

In the mean time, I am resurrecting Pentium 4 computers so I can run Windows XP. I really need to up my virtual machine game.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Google added a password checkup for your browser saved passwords: https://passwords.google.com

It alerted me that I had a bunch of reused passwords! I used the same password in some airline's app as I do on the airline's website :siren:

I guess it's hard to tell the difference, but the amount of false positives means I don't want to look at it again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I see a lot of articles saying NIST no longer recommends SMS auth, but I'm having a hard time finding the supporting documentation. None of the articles link anything directly, and https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html still lists SMS as a valid out of band method.

Anyone have any links to a direct communication from NIST that talks about not using SMS?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A draft of 800-63B had deprecated SMS 2FA, but the subsequent final removed that part:

quote:

NIST now states that if authentication is used via SMS (out-of-band), ‘the verifier SHALL verify that the pre-registered telephone number being used is associated with a specific physical device. […] Verifiers SHOULD consider risk indicators such as device swap, SIM change, number porting, or other abnormal behavior before using the PSTN to deliver an out-of-band authentication secret.’

Basically, SMS 2FA is way better than no 2FA, and is still okay. If you have another form of 2FA like an authenticator app or token, absolutely prefer that, but SMS is still good to use given the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Anyone have or use Kibana as a front end to their Elasticsearch? I've been handed pretty much exactly that setup but haven't used Kibana before. Anything I should be aware of while I play around?