Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

You lived around the triangle? Had you eaten a banker at that point?

I had a dingy little flat that I rented that took a lot out of my pay, but being able to walk to the zoo, suspension bridge and the downs was amazing. I also used to be a pretty important computer toucher before I had a drastic life change, switched to a less stressful career and smile like Kirby on a daily basis. :)

I miss Brizzle a ton though!

23 A number that terrifies Jim Carrey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That sounds perfectly reasonable if the final deal is basically just a pillowy soft Brexit, which would mean he has completely and totally caved and abandoned his base in both the party and membership. Which doesn't seem likely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Graun just posted the backstop alternative letter Johnson sent to the EU, the key page:

Irish Unification of 2024 still on then?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So it's literally the May Deal but with some handwaviness about "democracy", presumably meaning that they'll do some kind of referendum in NI?

AFAICT that just means "Stormont can deal with it"

the fact that Stormont currently couldn't agree on whether to breathe oxygen presumably doesn't bother Johnson in the slightest

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Pictured: Boris Johnson gearing up to shitpost on the internet

"drat left wing"

Is that a picture of himself on that mug

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PlantHead posted:

"drat left wing"

Is that a picture of himself on that mug

Yes, of course it is.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That sounds perfectly reasonable if the final deal is basically just a pillowy soft Brexit, which would mean he has completely and totally caved and abandoned his base in both the party and membership. Which doesn't seem likely.

The final deal - I wonder if his current plan is - backstop, election, claim we're out of EU, fake more negotiations, reneged on backstop.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Link please, that sounds interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dc8vmb/third_generation_pharmacist_with_27_years/

Only the one answer so far, so not sure if things will pick up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

the fact that Stormont currently couldn't agree on whether to breathe oxygen presumably doesn't bother Johnson in the slightest
"Not on Sundays."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I still don’t get why people are so certain election reporting restrictions will turn things around for Corbyn.

It didn’t happen in the Euro elections and I’m not convinced it happened in 2017. Corbyn did get an increase in popularity during the campaign but May ran a terrible campaign. Everything that could go wrong for her went wrong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

marktheando posted:

I still don’t get why people are so certain election reporting restrictions will turn things around for Corbyn.

It didn’t happen in the Euro elections and I’m not convinced it happened in 2017. Corbyn did get an increase in popularity during the campaign but May ran a terrible campaign. Everything that could go wrong for her went wrong.

the rules aren't implemented for euro elections?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tesseraction posted:

Graun just posted the backstop alternative letter Johnson sent to the EU, the key page:

lol what a surprise

marktheando posted:

that was a factor for sure, but she was polling high before despite being the same useless tory oval office she was during the election.

People connected with the Lab manifesto, they recognised an alternative when the press had to actually report what Labour were doing, they don't need to do that in the EU elections

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

my concern about people saying it was the labour manifesto that was successful is that people forget how disastrous the tory manifesto was

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose posted:

the rules aren't implemented for euro elections?

Yes they are.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1179404545698516992

lol if Johnson did a switcheroo with what he told them was his proposal and what his actual proposal was

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jose posted:

my concern about people saying it was the labour manifesto that was successful is that people forget how disastrous the tory manifesto was

taxing the terminally ill is tory.txt and forever will be.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Euro elections aren't necessarily representative - UKIP dominated in 2014 and then lost one of their two seats in 2015. European elections are always seen as protest votes and the Lib Dems are the protestiest of protest votes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Barry Foster posted:

You lived around the triangle? Had you eaten a banker at that point?

I had a room in a shared flat in the triangle for 450PCM (excl bills) at one point.

Mind you that was quite a few years back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Has anyone called them out on their current manifesto of "lots more nice things, lower taxes, deficit reduction, all at the same time"?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Channel 4 posted:

Visitors to the executive suites floor of the Midland Hotel in Manchester, where the government’s top people held court this week, have been told there is already an expectation that we will soon be in the next phase of this crisis: Boris Johnson refusing to sign the letter requesting a Brexit delay as required by the Benn Act.

No. 10 sources say that they then expect that issue to go to the High Court on 21st October and the supreme court a couple of days later. (The government’s favoured date for a general election is said to be 28th November – there is “a real keenness” not to have an election in December, no. 10 sources have said.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Comrade Fakename posted:

lol it’s just the backstop with a different name.

it's the backstop but with the ability to opt out of it (even before it goes into effect) which makes it not a backstop at all

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

The Euro elections aren't necessarily representative - UKIP dominated in 2014 and then lost one of their two seats in 2015. European elections are always seen as protest votes and the Lib Dems are the protestiest of protest votes.

Normally true but this next general election will be all about Brexit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the rules are important because it means that Labour and the Tories have to be given equal time

which means that the time the media give over to Tories yelling incoherently about Jeremy StalinHitlerVenezuela Corbyn has to be matched with Labour holding big events where they launch popular new policies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the real reason the dup don't give a poo poo about boris' plan being may's

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1179399044638085127

also lol

https://twitter.com/DanielBoffey/status/1179410035367133187?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

Normally true but this next general election will be all about Brexit.

Absolutely, but recall too that the Lib Dems campaigned in 2017 on a "second referendum to stop Brexit" message and performed mildly tepid dogshit instead of the boiled dogshit of 2015. It benefits them but a single defining policy in a general election can seem hollow.

Plus Tim Farron was a car crash in interviews and it seems Jo Swinson has similar performance.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1179404545698516992

lol if Johnson did a switcheroo with what he told them was his proposal and what his actual proposal was

I think someone upthread pointed this out - and it's strange the FT guy doesn't - but points 3 and 5 seem contradictory (or at least incompatible) more or less by definition. The letter says "this zone would eliminate all regulatory checks for trade in goods between Northern Ireland and Ireland by ensuring that goods regulations in Northern Ireland are the same as those in the rest of the EU," but yet it ALSO says: "under these arrangements Northern Ireland will be fully part of the UK customs territory, not the EU Customs Union....Control of trade policy is fundamental to our future vision."

How having the same "goods regulation" is compatible with divergence from the rules of the Customs Union is...unclear. It looks like there's some real semantic shuffling going on to try and justify this bullshit

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Probably more relevant Is that on current standings, if Labour a run a more effective campaign than 2017 _and_ the polls are wronger than they were then, that means that Labour will be perhaps be able to limit the loss of seats to two digits. There is a reason the Tories are keen on the early election that all opposition parties are trying to delay.

Optimism is useful, but you have to base your optimism on reality to avoid it becoming delusion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1179413063696551937

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

radmonger posted:

Probably more relevant Is that on current standings, if Labour a run a more effective campaign than 2017 _and_ the polls are wronger than they were then, that means that Labour will be perhaps be able to limit the loss of seats to two digits. There is a reason the Tories are keen on the early election that all opposition parties are trying to delay.

Optimism is useful, but you have to base your optimism on reality to avoid it becoming delusion.

not today, satan

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

radmonger posted:

Basing thoughts on reality is a good idea and you should try it some time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

not today, satan

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/adamfleming/status/1179400707436433408

Wonder if that’s why DUP seems so happy.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I read it as: we agree to an Irish Sea border, but Stormont can reject this, in which case NI crashes out instantly if they reject implementation, or after a year if it is not reapproved every 4 years.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Radmonger do you actually vote for (new) labour or are you just a lib dem with a big interest in the labour leadership

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

the rules are important because it means that Labour and the Tories have to be given equal time

which means that the time the media give over to Tories yelling incoherently about Jeremy StalinHitlerVenezuela Corbyn has to be matched with Labour holding big events where they launch popular new policies

As I said this didn't help at all in the Euro elections. I think people know Corbyn by this point, two years later, you aren't going to get such a dramatic turnaround again.

I'm not making actual predictions here though, with all the vote splitting on the centre and the right I think this election will be pretty much impossible to predict.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

radmonger posted:

Hey quick thing, why aren't you responding to any of the justified critique of your "boots" commentary?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

I read it as: we agree to an Irish Sea border, but Stormont can reject this, in which case NI crashes out instantly if they reject implementation, or after a year if it is not reapproved every 4 years.

Lol that people still treat the absolute shite that falls out of Boris' mouth as being serious foreign policy proposals and not just stupid lies for domestic consumption

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Has anyone called them out on their current manifesto of "lots more nice things, lower taxes, deficit reduction, all at the same time"?

Of course not since the Tories are the party of "hard choices".

Also, lol @ that "new" backstop which manages to be both substantially the same as the old one while also managing to be even worse and self contradictory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

Hey quick thing, why aren't you responding to any of the justified critique of your "boots" commentary?

Much like an old boot, that argument had a lot of holes in it, and radmonger was getting dunked, so the logical course of action was for him to discard the boots and never speak of them again