Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not mentioned there is that Mario Maker 2 voice chat now works through the Nintendo Switch Online app!! Very exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

SeANMcBAY posted:

Obvious but new course parts will be coming.

Here's my wishlist

https://i.imgur.com/fvPgbpB.mp4

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Well at least they confirmed new course parts were coming (not that was much doubt, of course!)

Some of those official courses were really goofy, so I'm kinda looking forward to that too.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

OneMoreTime posted:

12. To the Spiky Tunnel Escapade
By: Good Sphere JTP-0R7-DGG

Hey thanks for playing my course. I have since deleted it and reposted it with updates, and the code is: DCH-5WM-7HG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Aw dang, I was finally going to catch one :negative:

Also I know the thread has really died down but seeing it unpinned makes me a little sad.

Yeah, same. I bet we'll get a good surge around Christmas but eh, we'll keep it alive.

Also yeah, wish i didn't have to mulligan. Hopefully switching to Monday/Thursday will mitigate this.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Good Sphere posted:

Hey thanks for playing my course. I have since deleted it and reposted it with updates, and the code is: DCH-5WM-7HG

Also just saw your reply. Sadly I did not because of server maintenance but I will on my Thursday stream. Thanks for letting me know the new code as well.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

I like what you switched around here, although I’m not sure if the flying section improved as the line that worked before still works now. Good fun!

I’ve also made some updates:
0K7-7JL-WNF - Wobbly Vine Ascension
Made a little less strict and added a power-up or two along the way. I’m hoping people enjoy the last section, but maybe I should just do a level of only that...

BD4-8NC-50H - Deep Sea Base Assault
Munchers and snake blocks don’t load nicely underwater or vertically or something, so you could just skip some of this course outright! It is still a long and slow underwater course, use the clown car to disable cannons and lessen the amount of things on screen.

Edit: one new short thing: 41S-JBX-90G - Skipsqueaks are Cute. A short little course showing skipmice in silly situations. Also a spikey challenge in the pipe at the end of the bottom path.

tonberi fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 2, 2019

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Alright boys, where we dropping?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

OneMoreTime posted:

Also just saw your reply. Sadly I did not because of server maintenance but I will on my Thursday stream. Thanks for letting me know the new code as well.

Oh yeah I saw that on someone else’s stream! Thanks for noticing and planning to play. I will check it out then!

tonberi posted:

I like what you switched around here, although I’m not sure if the flying section improved as the line that worked before still works now. Good fun!

Cool thanks. What do you mean by the line? It may be hard to pick up the tiny details, but I made the tunnel sections a bit easier, especially the last one and gave an extra block to run there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Two things: Can you now play levels that you haven't yet downloaded, with two separate controllers that AREN'T just single joycons (so, 8bitdo/Pro/Dual Joycon) with another person? Like one Switch? If so, fantastic. I actually don't remember if this was an option when playing downloaded courses in Coursebot, but I figured I'd ask just to make sure. I know that editing together (ugh) is relegated to one joycon each and that's one of the two reasons I never do it. The other reason is that it sucks.

Second thing: "You've Bred Chain Chomps?"... I'm obsessed with this level. I love it, I love JP, it's fantastic, it's quick, and the current WR holder is approx 6 seconds faster than me, and I can't figure out why :negative: Does ANYONE have any idea how to do this stage faster? I have no idea how I can optimize my run faster than what I'm doing. Couple notes: I don't get the mushroom, I run faster than those two blocks can catch me at the end (during the music part), so I'm not slowed down by that. At the beginning, when the chain chomp falls, I just fall straight down from there, so I don't waste any time going from platform to platform. What am I missing? It's something significant, because 6 seconds is a BIG deal when dealing with a level that already only takes me 59 seconds to beat.

EDIT: In case anyone else wants to check it out:

Suspicious Cook posted:

Bingo! My latest jam entry:

You've Bred Chain Chomps?
3DM-H1F-38G

EDIT: Looks like there's no option for week 7 in the jam spreadsheet!

I don't even care if I'm like half a second off from the WR and don't actually end up getting it. I just need to know what's making me a full 6 seconds slower than the person who's #1.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 2, 2019

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Jokers’ trick...

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

Cool thanks. What do you mean by the line? It may be hard to pick up the tiny details, but I made the tunnel sections a bit easier, especially the last one and gave an extra block to run there.

After practicing the earlier version, my muscle memory kinda picked up where to run and jump. In the reuploaded version of the stage, running and jumping in the same places still works. The last jump feels like it has more room, though, before I was having to do a left right dance to not smack into spikes when jumping. Other than that I can’t say if it’s more forgiving than before, but it feels really good to get it right instead of racing iframes ;)

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Second thing: "You've Bred Chain Chomps?"... I'm obsessed with this level. I love it, I love JP, it's fantastic, it's quick, and the current WR holder is approx 6 seconds faster than me, and I can't figure out why :negative: Does ANYONE have any idea how to do this stage faster? I have no idea how I can optimize my run faster than what I'm doing. Couple notes: I don't get the mushroom, I run faster than those two blocks can catch me at the end (during the music part), so I'm not slowed down by that. At the beginning, when the chain chomp falls, I just fall straight down from there, so I don't waste any time going from platform to platform. What am I missing? It's something significant, because 6 seconds is a BIG deal when dealing with a level that already only takes me 59 seconds to beat.

EDIT: In case anyone else wants to check it out:

I don't even care if I'm like half a second off from the WR and don't actually end up getting it. I just need to know what's making me a full 6 seconds slower than the person who's #1.

Hi it’s me with the wr: basically it’s a lot of optimization and attempts. Jump all the upward slopes, jumping in anticipation of the blocks breaking so as to be down to the pipe as fast as possible, minimize time in water and maximize momentum going in, getting a perfect jump into the water pipe, jumping to skip the treadmills, not missing a cycle on the “trex fence” etc. Probably you are losing the most time in the water?

tonberi fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 2, 2019

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
The patch also removed some useful global ground properties from firebars and icicles :(

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Draxamus posted:

The patch also removed some useful global ground properties from firebars and icicles :(

Wait, like what?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I assume they mean icicles aren't global ground anymore which means you can't use them to load Bob-ombs and shells to trigger on/off states etc

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Draxamus posted:

What the heck? My Mega Action Robot M.A.R.I.O. stage relied on that to spawn a bunch of enemies to fight! That's gonna be one lonely robot ride now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Global ground in general seems to have gotten nerfed across the board. :( Really sucks when they do things like this that just take the wind out of the sails for creators.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It seems like you can play levels you haven’t uploaded with friends online now so now there’s a way to playtest unpublished levels easier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Draxamus posted:

Why on Earth would they do that

That is straight up gonna break some stages

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In MM1 when stuff like this changed it still worked on the old levels uploaded before the patch iirc. So it only affects future level design. Unless I'm mistaken

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Correct. Any previous levels made before the update keeps those properties, but future levels can't make use of those interactions anymore.

That said, some changes are global and will affect every level, regardless of when they were made.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why on Earth would they do that

That is straight up gonna break some stages

I assume they tried to "decomplicate" some mechanics, but barring actually detrimental glitches, this just straight up makes the game worse for everyone involved. The company also tends to be really strict on how they want their players to play their games in general, unfortunately.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 2, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
What with friend multiplayer being a thing now, we should get together partymix level lists for competitive and co-op play.

I could see even entire goon competitions of a series of levels being laid out for online multiplayer tournaments.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How do you do a single midair twirl in 2D 3D mode? Every time I tap R in midair I enter a permanent twirl that completely changes my physics. But I see streamers/youtubers tap twirl somehow to do a single spin that gives them a little more height/slower fall to clear some obstacles, and then they go back to normal midair physics.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

3D world and NSMB are two different movesets. The flip twirl is in NSMB, the spin is in 3D World.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Phantasium posted:

3D world and NSMB are two different movesets. The flip twirl is in NSMB, the spin is in 3D World.

Maybe I'm not using the correct terminology, then. I'm talking about whichever world lets you do wall jumps? And I want to do a ballerina twirl/spin?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Both NSMB and 3D World have wall jumps.

edit: If you ever want to know what you're capable of or how to do it, if you pause while playing there's a prompt in the bottom left corner that if you push the button will bring up a movelist of nearly everything you can do in that game style.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 2, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Arcturas posted:

Maybe I'm not using the correct terminology, then. I'm talking about whichever world lets you do wall jumps? And I want to do a ballerina twirl/spin?

Both have wall jumps, but 3D World has the actual ballerina spin that is kind of weird to control, and NSMB has a mid air spin that slows down your fall a little bit

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

In Training posted:

I assume they mean icicles aren't global ground anymore which means you can't use them to load Bob-ombs and shells to trigger on/off states etc

Ah, I misread that and that is a legitimately awful thing to do. A lot of 3D world contraptions won't work now because of it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks folks, I was under the impression that there was only one 3D looking style.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

Thanks folks, I was under the impression that there was only one 3D looking style.

There is. :colbert:

*camera pans to dumpster in background, the letters "3D WORLD" barely visible poking up above the rim*

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Straight White Shark posted:

*camera pans to dumpster in background, the letters "3D WORLD" barely visible poking up above the rim*

:chloe:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Draxamus posted:

I just tested and platforms on rails are still global ground though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah well you're at the bottom of the dumpster :colbert:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

About to stream some more SMM2 tonight. I imagine it will be a slow night with all the big streamers playing, so we might just do versus or random levels or story mode. If you want to do some co-op, you can join in!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Well, hopefully Nintendo won't drop another random update pre-empting my stream, so I should be good to go with your levels tonight at 6 PM PDT/9 PM EDT.

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Mushroom Mines
By: ThisIsACoolGuy RW4-D70-GYF

2. SMV 7-1: Gusty Garden Galaxy
By: Dark Lich 6XT-X3C-PXF

3. MSS: Koopa Caper H1F-SDB-CQF
By: Too Shy Guy

4. SMV 7-2: Dimensional Drift
By: Dark Lich 8TY-56N-WMG

5. Deep Sea Base Assault
By: Tonberi 1Q5-98L-PWG

6. Frozen Passage
by: iL_cornuto GLS-5VW-K6G

7. Green Shift
By: May Contain Nuts KDL-GY6-0NF

8. SMV 7-3: Battlerock Barrage
By: Dark Lich BLC-LBJ-BLG

9. Spring Water
By: May Contain Nuts GLV-875-HYF

10. Underground Key Battle
By: Tonberi Q07-S9H-FTG

11. SMV 7-B: Molten Moonbase
By: Dark Lich 685-FVF-PKF

12. To the Spiky Tunnel Escapade
By: Good Sphere DCH-5WM-7HG

13. Terror Lake
By: Gnome Enthusiast 5NK-V77-GXG

14. Cannonball Clouds
By: Gnome Enthusiast QSW-SF8-8HG

15. Joker's Trick
By: Hitlersaurus Christ 47W-BHN-0WG

16. 41S-JBX-90G
By: Tonberi 41S-JBX-90G

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

OneMoreTime posted:

Well, hopefully Nintendo won't drop another random update pre-empting my stream, so I should be good to go with your levels tonight at 6 PM PDT/9 PM EDT.

6. Frozen Passage
by: iL_cornuto GLS-5VW-K6G

That's 1 AM my time so I won't be able to catch it live, but I watch your VODs anyway so I'd love some honest feedback. Thanks in advance for playing it!

I actually came here to post my second level, which is another variation on a similar theme: 2JV-FBH-5NF Desert Bop. I've got one more idea for a similar level then I'll move onto trying something totally different.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live with user levels in 15 minutes!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Wondering if the update broke this. I watched a video of it, and it looks like something isn’t getting triggered on my end. This is #2 on the Popular courses section:

“mechanism mansion”
X37-NP3-80G

E: lol OneMoreTime saw you not realize you were holding the key.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 4, 2019

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You saw OneMoreTime play it, now play it yourself!

Crate Expectations
XHK-06H-3FF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just wanted to say real fast, that my levels in MM1 are still circulating somehow (there are still people playing it wtf) and it finally happened

:v: I don't know why but I find this really funny that I finally got the ultimate badge thing.