Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LionArcher posted:

These forums will fall over themselves to praise chappo and dis the Pod save crew, but it’s funny how they both are the same thing really. One just is wearing goth clothing and edgier, but are in fact the same thing.

no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

The Crooked set operates in a semblance of reality yeah but intentionally or not they definitely remember 2008-2016 in a way that’s favorable to their own narrative, up to and including saying demonstrably false things. I think they’re worth listening to if they have interesting guests on (Lovett or Leave It has funny people and actors from TV shows you might like, for instance) but all the Crooked hosts are very comfortable in the center-left space they inhabit and have little interest in leaving it. Also ymmv on this but 3 of them are like, the same person so you might have to pay close attention to remember who’s talking.

They also channel the spirit of a large part of the democratic party establishment which is also useful to keep up with.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

BiggerBoat posted:

We need an emote that goes "Soooorrrrr-OOOOHS!!! that shakes it's fist or something.

:freep:

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

How are u posted:

I dunno. I listen to 538 and several Crooked shows and I find them a pretty solid way to keep up with the day to day. They certainly operate in a semblance of reality, unlike right-wing radio.

My partner has sirius xm radio in her car and occasionally we put on the left leaning Progress station which really is talk radio and I just can't get into that.

Yeah I find progress to be kind of boring. I might find something on there I find interesting every once in a while, but its not like listening to Majority Report or democracy Now. What seems like far left in this country is really just moderate news. The average right wing media has moved so far to the right and they do not question the talking points that the republican politicians espouse when they are invited on. I have tried to listen to Mark Dice, Ben Shapiro, or Dave Rubin and I find its just right wing talking points dressed up as entertainment.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm old enough to remember when it happened and what Perot really represented at his core was nothing much more than a third option that seemed to be making sense from a business standpoint in ways that were easily communicated to us through USA Today charts and graphics and poo poo. His popularity was (rightfully) a reaction to a "jesus christ, THESE are the 2 smartest people in the county?" and that wasn't wrong. It's still not. This country desperately needs third or fourth parties and a shift towards a more parliamentary system or something close to it. Ross had the money to fund his own campaign was all.

He preceded Trump in a way as a "common sense" outsider but, more importantly, allowed an option for a choice beyond the binary.

And lets face it, once we get down to the final two choices it's usually pretty bleak and folks are rightfully frustrated with it. The only time in my life I voted for anyone with anything resembling excitement or real enthusiasm was Obama in 08 (less so in 2012) and then, a week later, was introduced to his cabinet that was the furthest thing from hope and change I could think of. That balloon popped fast and made me sorry I had donated to his campaign and volunteered for him. I felt ripped off and conned.

Perot wasn't crazy and wasn't even wrong about a lot of things but once he trotted Admiral Stockdale out there on the national stage in the VP debate he showed how in over his head he was and it sunk his campaign.

In my lifetime, since I have been eligible to vote, my "choices" for President have had the names "Bush" or "Clinton" on my ballot 6 out of 8 times . That's frustrating and depressing and also a huge reason why Trump won.
sorry about the double post I am new to this.

This is exactly how I felt about Obama. I was really taken in by the hope and change thing because we really need it after the Bush administration. Right when I saw his cabinet and I realized the donors chose it I felt so let down. I actually think if Warren gets the nomination as the compromise candidate she is going to pull an Obama on us. I find myself worried that the DNC and MSM is going to try to ram through Biden by giving him a lot of media coverage and not publicizing his mistakes. Bernie has gotten very little time on tv and its usually negative. They know what they are doing.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 2, 2019

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Munin posted:

They also channel the spirit of a large part of the democratic party establishment which is also useful to keep up with.

Yeah definitely this, and it's moderately encouraging to watch them shift ever-so-slowly further left.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Local (Pacific Northwest) shitbrick Lars Larson decided that it's actually paid internships that are unfair to workers and all internships should be unpaid. He expanded that to say that job training should be unpaid as well for the first month after you are hired. When his caller rightly said that most companies don't really get employees up to speed for three months he agreed and expanded his "no pay" period to three months or until the new hire "proves competency," whichever is longer.

That's right, 3 months unpaid labor and then payment only at the whim of your employer.

His caller was trying to very patiently explain that you pay employees during training because they're learning to work your business and his rebuttal was "then schools should pay you to train you and lemme tell you every class I've ever taken I had to pay for so why are businesses different?" Then he hung up on the caller.

Why in the hell do working people give these idiots the time of day? Dreaming of eventually not paying employees cuz you'll definitely be part of the over class?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

PJOmega posted:

Local (Pacific Northwest) shitbrick Lars Larson decided that it's actually paid internships that are unfair to workers and all internships should be unpaid. He expanded that to say that job training should be unpaid as well for the first month after you are hired. When his caller rightly said that most companies don't really get employees up to speed for three months he agreed and expanded his "no pay" period to three months or until the new hire "proves competency," whichever is longer.

That's right, 3 months unpaid labor and then payment only at the whim of your employer.

His caller was trying to very patiently explain that you pay employees during training because they're learning to work your business and his rebuttal was "then schools should pay you to train you and lemme tell you every class I've ever taken I had to pay for so why are businesses different?" Then he hung up on the caller.

Why in the hell do working people give these idiots the time of day? Dreaming of eventually not paying employees cuz you'll definitely be part of the over class?

Maybe they just can't get enough of his smug, self-righteous delivery.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PJOmega posted:

"You owe me everything and I owe you nothing" is baseline conservative alongside "I am the sole creator of my own success". A totally solipsistic world view.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Today Dennis Prager (of PragerU, but this was his radio show) was having a normal one and had on a guest explaining the rise of sexbots and why it was because of atheism.
The segment had a content warning, where he told parents to decide if they wanted their teenagers listening.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

HootTheOwl posted:

Today Dennis Prager (of PragerU, but this was his radio show) was having a normal one and had on a guest explaining the rise of sexbots and why it was because of atheism.
The segment had a content warning, where he told parents to decide if they wanted their teenagers listening.

"Hey gang, wanna grab a malt at the drugstore and listen to the Dennis Prager show on my pa's radio?"
"Golly, I dunno Jimmy, I do love me a good radio show, but I heard it might get a little too racy for us teens!"
"Aw, banana oil, Tommy!"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I think I'm listening to this now, an author of a book with a chapter titled "sex is scary" because "well for young men sex is scary because after a three year relationship your ex is likely to turn around and say that you raped her."

Yup it is Prager.

"Is your name Timber?" "Yup it is. I guess you could call me a toxic male haha. I wanted to say that you're in the top three most informative people I've ever listened to."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

prager sounds like he's on the verge of death on his radio show i'm not sure how he has an audience. rush and such are animated.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

Maybe they just can't get enough of his smug, self-righteous delivery.

He (Lars Larson) sounds exactly like what an unconfident person thinks confidence sounds like. He Knows Every Single Word He Says Is Right And Very Much Wants You The Listener To Know How Right His Words Are.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

HootTheOwl posted:

I couldn't stomache that interview for very long. But it really shows how little they understand today's culture. Parents are aghast when their kids say that when they grow up they want to be married. No one wants relationships anymore. No one wants any kids anymore.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fox news sheds some deadweight:

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179467041973182464

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/zlingman/status/1179472620107911168

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ManBoyChef posted:

sorry about the double post I am new to this.

This is exactly how I felt about Obama. I was really taken in by the hope and change thing because we really need it after the Bush administration. Right when I saw his cabinet and I realized the donors chose it I felt so let down. I actually think if Warren gets the nomination as the compromise candidate she is going to pull an Obama on us.
I've been dunked on for saying good things about Warren here before, but I had the same reaction to Obama and there are some crucial differences. It's true that she's a center-left technocrat and policy wonk, and that she's not strong on foreign policy. But - she has been 100% consistent in fighting corporate overreach & the excesses of capitalism. This is her strong suit, it wasn't Obama's. She already has dedicated policy teams writing up proposals to tax the wealthy more and break up big companies - I don't see any reason to think she's going to suddenly throw all that out the window if she gets elected.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

As happy as this makes me on its face (seriously, gently caress you Todd Starnes), it's probably more of a mutual split than you'd think. Ol' Todd has been cozying up with the Evangelical talk radio circuit with more and more frequency over the years, and his books have shifted away from "well shucks I'm just a country guy, hot babes and fireworks yeehaw" and more towards "REPENT, America! Get on your KNEES before CHRIST before he uses the Muslim hordes to destroy us for tolerating the sodomites!!"

So, even if he was "fired" for saying over the weekend that Democrats literally worship Moloch, it was almost certainly a calculated move by him. He's just going to stop doing his three-hour Fox News radio show, plop his wide white rear end down over at American Family Radio, and start it right back up.

Seriously, gently caress you Todd Starnes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

pookel posted:

I've been dunked on for saying good things about Warren here before, but I had the same reaction to Obama and there are some crucial differences. It's true that she's a center-left technocrat and policy wonk, and that she's not strong on foreign policy. But - she has been 100% consistent in fighting corporate overreach & the excesses of capitalism. This is her strong suit, it wasn't Obama's. She already has dedicated policy teams writing up proposals to tax the wealthy more and break up big companies - I don't see any reason to think she's going to suddenly throw all that out the window if she gets elected.

Obama ran as a negotiator who could bring the parties together. Warren’s running as a populist who’ll fight against the moneyed interests. It made sense that he would try to chart some middle path based on his philosophy of governance in a way it wouldn’t for Warren. And personally I don’t mind the idea of compromising, except it took him way too long to realize the GOP was acting in bad faith which led to a lot of wasted time and lopsided deals.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, do you guys remember annual Obama/O'Reilly Superbowl interview? Fuckin' wild.

Right wing media and future MAGATS said all the dirty words of O'Reilly just for acting humble and respectful when interviewing the president.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm remembering Phil Hartmans impression of Stockdale, and if he had lived he probably would have modified it to be Cheney.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ManBoyChef posted:

This is exactly how I felt about Obama. I was really taken in by the hope and change thing because we really need it after the Bush administration. Right when I saw his cabinet and I realized the donors chose it I felt so let down. I actually think if Warren gets the nomination as the compromise candidate she is going to pull an Obama on us. I find myself worried that the DNC and MSM is going to try to ram through Biden by giving him a lot of media coverage and not publicizing his mistakes. Bernie has gotten very little time on tv and its usually negative. They know what they are doing.

God I hope not.

I'm rooting for her but not getting sucked in again with donations and canvassing after my 2008 experience made me feel like a fool. Plus I work two jobs so I have little time and am still broke as gently caress anyway. The DNC and MSM are absolutely going to try to ram through Biden. Like I mentioned, six out of eight ballots for president I've marked had Bush or Clinton on them. Warren is one of the few people talking about restoring power to workers and breaking up banks and poo poo, which really needs to be done, and seems serious about NHC. I don't know if she can pull it off but she's not naive like Barrack was and knows these people are poisonous snakes so I doubt she'll get sucked into thinking they can be reasoned with at least.

Biden is slimy in a way that he deserves 75% of the poo poo they'll throw at him and gently caress him. I grew up in Delaware and know him well. Warren doesn't have that coating of poo poo on her. Not sure how long you can call Warren a racist slur and run a while campaign on it. She SEEMS legit and I'm all in, Like Obama, she speaks to the things I care about and my priorities. Only thing I've seen is that she used to have different ideas about things 30 or 40 years ago so I guess that's disqualifying somehow.

And, I mean, we're at the point where the bar is so low that it's "don't be an idiotic, giant, mean, lying rear end in a top hat" but even that's uncertain when 40% of the population really likes being mean assholes and thinks that only the media lies.

On topic, heard about this book today on npr and am interested.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/10/02/conservative-talk-radio-book

Here's an interview with the writer

https://slate.com/podcasts/the-gist/2019/09/political-historian-brian-rosenwald-talk-radio-america

Seems up my alley

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 2, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Double post but somewhat related, my capitalist, "make all you can", "get paid for your work" free market conservative friends are very up in arms about California having the audacity to allow college athletes to make a small percentage of all the endorsement and marketing money that colleges make off of their loving NAMES and hard work.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/california-s-college-sports-pay-law-could-change-ncaa-we-n1060591

These kids aren't even legally allowed to HAVE minimum wage JOBS while they play sports for their universities and attend classes and many of them are poor. Oddly, my free market friends on the other side of the aisle see this law as a bad thing. I wonder why?

I have a pretty good idea why

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

HootTheOwl posted:

There's two things Dennis Prager deeply loves, educating America's youth and talking about eating rear end. Sometimes, those two don't mix.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

Obama ran as a negotiator who could bring the parties together. Warren’s running as a populist who’ll fight against the moneyed interests. It made sense that he would try to chart some middle path based on his philosophy of governance in a way it wouldn’t for Warren. And personally I don’t mind the idea of compromising, except it took him way too long to realize the GOP was acting in bad faith which led to a lot of wasted time and lopsided deals.

Yeah, that's a myth that really needs to go in the ground already. Obama ran in 2008 as a bipartisan triangulation elemental who wasn't too far left to scare the conservatives. That's the origin story of the fabled "Obama-Trump voters", who turned out to all be lifelong Republicans temporarily embarrassed by Bush. Wanna complain Obama was too centrist with his two-year majority government? I'm all with you, but his campaign form was even further right than that.

I mean, if you got your hopes up because Bush was just that bad and Obama was so charming, or because you were young and dumb and the CHANGE poster gave you communist shivers, then you were hardly alone, but the Obama presidency was pretty much what it said on the tin.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So Trump just admitted on live tv that he pressured Ulraine to investigate the Bidens, and added that China should too.

Has he gone completely around the bend?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If everybody knows, then it's not a secret and there's nothing to whistleblow.

Trump wins again!

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Doubling down has always worked for him before! Surely, it will work this time! 4D chess!

(Feel free to sarcastically quote this if he wriggles out of this easily yet again)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MrUnderbridge posted:

So Trump just admitted on live tv that he pressured Ulraine to investigate the Bidens, and added that China should too.

Has he gone completely around the bend?

I think Trump has an instinctual understanding of his privilege and power and is testing the boundaries, especially given a Republican Senate full of ancient liches to cover for him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, he's not wrong

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1179424029838647298?s=21

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So Geraldo is basically saying "Yeah he did something that's impeachable but we're going to defend him so he doesn't get impeached."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, saying the quiet part loud, but it's Geraldo this time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yes, and it turned out they actually were fascists who went on to murder millions of people through war and genocide. Funny how that works out, eh... guy with cowboy hat named Chad, I guess.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

... So, wait, is this one of those people that think that since they're the national socialist party, the Nazis were communists? Because if not, uhhhh you're kinda saying the quiet part loud there buddy

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
https://twitter.com/justicedems/status/1179838811674681347?s=20

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40sJOkxnac

so this is a good video, but i wanted to focus on one specific detail that's part of a larger, broader issue. the episode, 'homer's enemy' was written by some right-wing libertarian dude. this, many would not find surprising given what the theme of the episode is, that lazy, incompetent leeches like homer are get rewarded with massive riches (relatively speaking), but hardworking, salt of the earth people like frank grimes get the shaft.

now, the thing is, when i initially saw the episode as a kid, i did agree that at the very least homer should have been fired for his incompetence and complete lack of knowledge in the field that he works in, years ago. but that being said, i still felt that the BAD guy in this episode, was supposed to be grimes. he was petty, vindictive, and tried his best to get homer fired and humiliated. it wasn't just cause homer was legitimately bad at his job. no, the breaking point was when he realized how GOOD homer had it compared to him.

but with the revelation that this episode was written by someone who no doubt identifies with grimes, i can't help but feel that, the intent of the episode was to show that it was actually homer was the bad guy, and grimes the good. this is very reminiscient to me of the trailer for the first atlas shrugged film where i couldn't tell who the good guy was supposed to be, because everyone acted like a drat cartoon villain. this is how conservative media is. or also, like that scene from the sword of truth series where the hero kills an 8 year old girl, and you're supposed to see it as a heroic act.

now, i don't know if grimes getting KILLED was a reasonable punishment, but it seems pretty clear that the writer wanted the audience to sympathize with him as a tragic figure, a victim of leftism gone mad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
"Ugh can't believe that people are going to unfairly claim that me saying non-white immigrants are invading our country to destroy it and everything it stands for is somehow racist and xenophobic."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40sJOkxnac

so this is a good video, but i wanted to focus on one specific detail that's part of a larger, broader issue. the episode, 'homer's enemy' was written by some right-wing libertarian dude. this, many would not find surprising given what the theme of the episode is, that lazy, incompetent leeches like homer are get rewarded with massive riches (relatively speaking), but hardworking, salt of the earth people like frank grimes get the shaft.

now, the thing is, when i initially saw the episode as a kid, i did agree that at the very least homer should have been fired for his incompetence and complete lack of knowledge in the field that he works in, years ago. but that being said, i still felt that the BAD guy in this episode, was supposed to be grimes. he was petty, vindictive, and tried his best to get homer fired and humiliated. it wasn't just cause homer was legitimately bad at his job. no, the breaking point was when he realized how GOOD homer had it compared to him.

but with the revelation that this episode was written by someone who no doubt identifies with grimes, i can't help but feel that, the intent of the episode was to show that it was actually homer was the bad guy, and grimes the good. this is very reminiscient to me of the trailer for the first atlas shrugged film where i couldn't tell who the good guy was supposed to be, because everyone acted like a drat cartoon villain. this is how conservative media is. or also, like that scene from the sword of truth series where the hero kills an 8 year old girl, and you're supposed to see it as a heroic act.

now, i don't know if grimes getting KILLED was a reasonable punishment, but it seems pretty clear that the writer wanted the audience to sympathize with him as a tragic figure, a victim of leftism gone mad.

I thought the whole point of the episode was "The Simpsons exist in a world that is not the real world and if a person from the Real World ended up there they'd go mad", which is what Josh Weinstein said was the idea, and the original concept was created by a different person on the staff (Bill Oakley)

Finding out it was written by a Libertarian puts that in a new light, unfortunately (also said Libetarian, John Swartzwelder, is apparently bugfuck nutso considering David Cohen has a story of him going on a tirade about how there is more rainforest in the world than there was 100 years prior or something, among other things).