Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

How has he not completely lost his mind from staring into the abyss day after day?

Being paid for it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

That article agrees with what I'm saying:

Those powers had to be outlined in the House vote (like the Tlaib/Green resolution), not just automatically granted.

My understanding is that the current House has those powers already

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

goethe.cx posted:

Trump’s cursing is one of the weirdest things about him. “Moved on her like a bitch?” And he reportedly called some Asian guy a “loving goo-goo”

Sometimes I'll just be daydreaming or zoning out at work and "moved on her like a bitch" will pop into my head and I am as baffled by it today as I was when I first heard it 37,000 years ago.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Probably should do away with "legislative districts" entirely. Bring on proportional representation or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

goethe.cx posted:

My understanding is that the current House has those powers already

Right and if they want to delegate those powers to the committees investigating they will need to vote on it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Main Paineframe posted:

No, what I'm saying is that for the committees to have further investigatory powers beyond the ones they normally have, the House needs to vote to grant those powers to the committees. Merely having the Speaker say the words "impeachment inquiry" does not automatically grant any extra powers.

What eke out is saying, as I understand it, is that the committees may not need further investigatory powers, because their normal investigatory powers that they use for their usual day-to-day work are enough to do plenty of investigating. This is true, and something I agree with. This doesn't mean that they get those powers when the announcement is made, it means that they already had those powers years ago and the announcement is meaningless.

Trabisnikof posted:

That article agrees with what I'm saying:

Those powers had to be outlined in the House vote (like the Tlaib/Green resolution), not just automatically granted.

I understand better what you're getting at; thanks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

friendbot2000 posted:

Lawgoons? Weigh in on this?

Not a whole lot of chatter about this. It is scummy, but probably not criminal or something. If law people don’t see a problem with it, we’re screwed - no response from lawgoons means no problem :shepicide:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

haveblue posted:

... redistricting .....has to be supported entirely by dirty tricks and forcing bias into the justice system.

All entirely Legal btw.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

I know people keep saying she's some sort of performance artist at this point but come the gently caress on.

Oh she absolutely started as a performance artist. But as Vonnegut puts it "We are what we pretend to be, so be careful what you pretend to be".

You start saying this poo poo and get rewarded with money and praise (and the corresponding dopamine hit) it stops being an act and becomes what you are dangerously quickly.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SKULL.GIF posted:

The true Pelosi fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these maneuvers, to realise that they're not just funny - they say something deep about American governance. As a consequence people who dislike Nancy Pelosi truly ARE idiots.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Nancy Pelosi tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only - and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Schrodinger's competency.

I dunno, George, can we finally have a serious conversation about the concept of divorce?

haveblue posted:

It cannot end until infrastructure week ends.

The only real giveaway is that it's mounted in the frame wrong.

Subway Cat. The poo poo that cat has seen. Literally and figuratively.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 2, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1179226430435147777

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179444199667707905

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1179171406162120704

https://twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1179454245344600064

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1179059647367516161

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What did Schiff do specifically that’s driven Trump so loving nuts exactly?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

USPOL Fall: I don't care about my dignity.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump has never been able to fight Pelosi so he picked the next target in line.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Paraphrased the transcript to make Trump sound like a mobster during one of the hearings last week. That's it. Really.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1179462430264422401?s=20

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oracle posted:

Holy poo poo this is bad. Read this right now. Seriously. Now. Listen. This has to be some kind of conspiracy charge or something. Telling people to destroy evidence and lie.

My understanding is that lawmakers can pass whatever laws they'd like without personal consequences. If those laws violate existing law or constitutional rights, then the laws are struck down and the lovely lawmakers are free to try again. Unfortunately, that means there can't be a criminal conspiracy to pass districts violating the Voter Rights Act, because it's not actually a criminal offense to violate the Voter Rights Act via legislation. Pretty much the embodiment of our country's "it's just Politics!" attitude.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

These redistricting speakers straight up said that the lawmakers' noted from the conference would certainly be sought and told them to destroy them.

I'm not a lawyer who specializes in such things but isn't destruction of evidence which you know will be material to future litigation kinda super bad?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

There's a pretty good historical fiction podcast called "1865," where this is one of the main plotlines. It's worth a listen, particularly given present circumstances.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Paraphrased the transcript to make Trump sound like a mobster during one of the hearings last week. That's it. Really.

Did he even paraphrase it though? It already reads like an awkard attempt at a mob shakedown.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Brand new beautiful jobs for a great state, Tennessee. We love Tennessee. You never lose when you go to Tennessee.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
LMAO the Finnish president looks so uncomfortable right now.

edit: And Trump is really phoning it in reading this note about trade.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

These redistricting speakers straight up said that the lawmakers' noted from the conference would certainly be sought and told them to destroy them.

I'm not a lawyer who specializes in such things but isn't destruction of evidence which you know will be material to future litigation kinda super bad?

Well yea but their suggestion was all based on a hypothetical. The crime hasn't been committed yet and I'd imagine it'd be hard to get a conspiracy charge to stick on something like this.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Adam Schiff is one of the few white straight men that really seem to get the full Trump treatment. He really gets under Trump's skin somehow.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Only if there's a law that requires them the retain the documents. My guess is that there isn't for internal GOP proceedings, but I'm not sure?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Trump: "You can't lose when you go to Tennessee."

Unless you're the confederate army in 1864.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

They doped him up good

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Not that they're specifically correlated here but it's lol watching the Dow creep lower while the president speaks.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Nail Rat posted:

Brand new beautiful jobs for a great state, Tennessee. We love Tennessee. You never lose when you go to Tennessee.

On the contrary.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

The DOW being in freefall right next to the video is pretty amazing

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Shifty Pony posted:

Only if they can prove you destroyed it. You did destroy it completely didn't you?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

Oh she absolutely started as a performance artist. But as Vonnegut puts it "We are what we pretend to be, so be careful what you pretend to be".

You start saying this poo poo and get rewarded with money and praise (and the corresponding dopamine hit) it stops being an act and becomes what you are dangerously quickly.

I think it actually went the other direction. I think she started off trying to be serious, but then saw how easier it was to just say bullshit and the wackier things she said the more success she got and just went "gently caress it" and went full performance artist. Like that tweet last year or whenever (time has no meaning) when she just admitted how much of a lonely husk of a person she was. That HAD to be a joke.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

Not sure that it’s a criminal act, but you’d get a sanction from the court in a lawsuit

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

didn't quote the transcript* verbatim

*it wasn't a transcript**

**they called it a transcript etc

if it wasn't this it'd be the other thing

Shifty Pony posted:

if you get caught :shrug:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

mod sassinator posted:

LMAO the Finnish president looks so uncomfortable right now.

edit: And Trump is really phoning it in reading this note about trade.

Every leader from another country who has these joint pressers with Trump all have the same look like a person who has somehow been forced to babysit a dumb 5 year old all day even though they never even liked kids in the first place.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

BarbarianElephant posted:

Adam Schiff is one of the few white straight men that really seem to get the full Trump treatment. He really gets under Trump's skin somehow.

Waiting for Trump to just call him a dirty Jew

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Did he even paraphrase it though? It already reads like an awkard attempt at a mob shakedown.

Everyone knows you need to quote trump verbatim or you lose the nuance.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1179444965899952129?s=09

Ugh, at least they were caught and dealt with.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1179444965899952129?s=09

Ugh, at least they were caught and dealt with.

We are all that minion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

lol uhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/rudygiuliani/status/1179461919972974593?s=21