Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If a game like JoCo comes around that’s pretty much a strictly better Catan, when it has the resources/trading/nepotism but beat and it has the abstract notion of gaining VPs via a game “map” to a variable destination beat, then there’s no real interest in playing Catan anymore. What’s interesting here is that using *more* randomness actually helps JoCo’s design due to uncertainty and dependencies whereas in Catan the trading ends in gridlocks due to knowing someone’s getting the better end of the deal when they trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

If a game like JoCo comes around that’s pretty much a strictly better Catan, when it has the resources/trading/nepotism but beat and it has the abstract notion of gaining VPs via a game “map” to a variable destination beat, then there’s no real interest in playing Catan anymore. What’s interesting here is that using *more* randomness actually helps JoCo’s design due to uncertainty and dependencies whereas in Catan the trading ends in gridlocks due to knowing someone’s getting the better end of the deal when they trade.

Yeah, sure, but how much wood for sheep do you get in JoCo?!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Other than wood for sheep my favorite thing about Catan is the transgressive thrill of calling clay brick. gently caress you Klaus Tuber, the picture clearly shows brick, that's what I'm calling it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ravendas posted:

Yeah, sure, but how much wood for sheep do you get in JoCo?!

I will gladly trade you boat captaincies for manors in Scotland.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

al-azad posted:

It's not a trading game but there's trading, it's not a civ building game but you're building a civ, there's kind of an engine but it's not an engine building game...

Catan's lasting mainstream appeal relies on offering a little bit of something for every kind of player: dice gambling, thake that, negotiatons and building strategy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

discount cathouse posted:

Catan's lasting mainstream appeal relies on offering a little bit of something for every kind of player: dice gambling, thake that, negotiatons and building strategy.

That’s why the expansions work so well. Cities and Knights and Seafarers tack on more randomness, more things to build, more conflict with the board and other players, which effectively ends the gridlock of base Catan. I hate Catan but I also love it because there’s seriously nothing like Catan.

Starfarers is legit good though. Don’t @ me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

al-azad posted:

That’s why the expansions work so well. Cities and Knights and Seafarers tack on more randomness, more things to build, more conflict with the board and other players, which effectively ends the gridlock of base Catan. I hate Catan but I also love it because there’s seriously nothing like Catan.

Starfarers is legit good though. Don’t @ me.

I'm not going to @ you for that, Starfarers is good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I find morons criticize Settles of Catan because they never traded sheep at the port in the Xbox version. The game goes baaaah sploosh, and it's fantastic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Too early to call BrOaDtS&cetera GOTY yet? Pax Pamir would also be in the running.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Now it's the perfect time to revisit Catan for all the weirdos who still own a copy for some reason, since it's OcTeuberfest

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

discount cathouse posted:

Multiplayer solitaire is awful though, it takes the socializing and the narrative aspects worse too.

Multiplayer solitaire does not necessarily make the socializing aspect worse.

It's actually GREAT for more casual socially-inclined gamers - because while someone else is taking their turn, they can chat with everyone else at the table about family, work, school whatever.

Those people probably don't post in threads like this, so you're not likely to hear their voice represented here.

But their money is green and supports publishers/designers who might also do more heavy, interactive stuff that people in this thread like.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You’re making a lot of assumptions. I enjoy and play a ton of social games in more casual settings with friends. We host a casual game night at a friend’s coffee shop and get everything from families to MtG players that host their own prize pool stuff. Those casual games and experiences don’t make for good discussion because there isn’t much depth in the games and the experiences are like telling others about your dreams, mostly no one cares.

Speaking of, Patchwork Doodle is just no good :( trying to figure out how to make it more interesting and challenging but so far it’s just meh. I think drafting the cards will make it way better but you’d have a lot of repeat cards throughout since the deck is small.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 2, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Too early to call BrOaDtS&cetera GOTY yet? Pax Pamir would also be in the running.

Okay, I give up, what foes BrOaDtS&cetera stand for?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

pospysyl posted:

Roads and Boats with &cetera expansion

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/276502/roads-boats-20th-anniversary-edition

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

pospysyl posted:

Just Splotter continuing their graphical design achievements.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

pospysyl posted:

More helpfully, do a Google Image Search for the game, and look at the game's logo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This edition contains &cetera

Best multiplayer solitaire games are trick taking games don’t @ me

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

This edition contains &cetera

Best multiplayer solitaire games are trick taking games don’t @ me

Yeah but those are better as team games because the best one ever is Bridge.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

You’re making a lot of assumptions. I enjoy and play a ton of social games in more casual settings with friends. We host a casual game night at a friend’s coffee shop and get everything from families to MtG players that host their own prize pool stuff. Those casual games and experiences don’t make for good discussion because there isn’t much depth in the games and the experiences are like telling others about your dreams, mostly no one cares.

What I meant was some people (I'm not assuming, these people are my family and friends who I play games with) like to talk about things unrelated to the board game itself during the board game.

The game is not a fully immersive experience to them and some of them audibly prefer it not to be - paying attention during someone else's turn can become exhausting for some, not exhilarating.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Bridge is great but it's a pain in the rear end to teach new players, that's the one problem. I've tried to get online friends to learn the game as a casual 4p bullshitting game but I can't get anybody to bite.

Spades is easier to teach but unfortunately for me I'm fantastically awful at it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BrOaDtS has geese, untitled goose game has goose, both GOTY material, coincidence???

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The best trick taking game is Sticheln at 3.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lord Of Texas posted:

What I meant was some people (I'm not assuming, these people are my family and friends who I play games with) like to talk about things unrelated to the board game itself during the board game.

The game is not a fully immersive experience to them and some of them audibly prefer it not to be - paying attention during someone else's turn can become exhausting for some, not exhilarating.

Right, but you’re making an argument against a position no one here has. No one is discounting casual gaming or players, we just said that for them or “serious” gamers Tapestry is a poor choice. Its like the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark movie; too scary for little kids, too silly for teens/adults, so it just doesn’t have an audience to serve well. Obviously the game was financially successful, but that by no means excuses it from criticism.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

taser rates posted:

The best trick taking game is Sticheln at 3.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

nrook posted:

Bridge is great but it's a pain in the rear end to teach new players, that's the one problem. I've tried to get online friends to learn the game as a casual 4p bullshitting game but I can't get anybody to bite.

Spades is easier to teach but unfortunately for me I'm fantastically awful at it.

Spades is one of the few games that rivals Monopoly in ruining friendships.

"Stop stealing my books we're on the same team you absolute moron :argh: :argh: "

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
why is it BrOaDtS

and not rbOAdtS

e: the best trick taking game is euchre, unless my partner sucks and can't make a read, then i'm going alone pick up the right bauer i don't gaf

Fellis fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 2, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fellis posted:

why is it BrOaDtS

and not rbOAdtS

e: the best trick taking game is euchre, unless my partner sucks and can't make a read, then i'm going alone pick up the right bauer i don't gaf
It's rbO&AdtS and the BrOaDtSers are wrong

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fellis posted:

why is it BrOaDtS

and not rbOAdtS

It rolls off the tongue better

New FCM module released:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fellis posted:

why is it BrOaDtS

and not rbOAdtS

Euchre is only good for cheaters, people taking heavy sedatives, and the rest of the residents of Michigan.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Selecta84 posted:

So there are some good offers near me for Key Harvest and Keythedral.

Has anyone played them and can comment on them?

Keythedral is one of my favourite games of all time. Just make sure you play with something that resembles 1st edition scoring (no points for resources at the end). 2nd ed. was a mistake.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

nrook posted:

Try black people Spades instead. Much more fun!!!

(So black people traditionally play Spades with similar rules as white people, except for two major exceptions. The first is that there are no null bids that score anything for being null. The next is that before playing a session or just a hand of Spades, the table decides what board will be. So for example the table might decide that board is four tricks. This means in order to score, the team has to win at least four tricks. When people are feeling competitive it might be five tricks, or when they are feeling lazy it might be three tricks. It's how I grew up playing Spades, which I really enjoyed, and didn't realize the white version existed until I went to The Gathering and had their way of playing explained to me.)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

homullus posted:

Euchre is only good for cheaters, people taking heavy sedatives, and the rest of the residents of Michigan.

Yes that’s what I said, the best trick taking game

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

But Null bids are critical to alleviating unlucky draws of all low cards. Without null bids and with a high floor, it feels like it would be even more luck-based. Especially since it doesn't have a way to give up early to deny points to your opponents, like Red7 or Air, Land, & Sea.

Speaking of luck, Nomads does a great job of making feel like you are in control, even though it is a short, high-luck game. Somehow, it felt like my actions mattered despite the massive amounts of luck.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Gave Sierra West a go last night. I was really looking forward to it, but unfortunately one of the people in our 4-player group was completely new to board games. The rules took about 15 mins to explain (we were doing the basic, introductory module) and he asked at least three times if we were ready to start while I was covering them. He didn't seem to pick up any of the mechanics (even the concept of putting his cards into a discard pile was foreign) and we basically had to walk him through each of his turns. We ended up not being able to finish before the taproom closed, though that was partly due to a 1.5-hour game of Countdown Action Edition played beforehand.

A disappointing evening, but I'm definitely ready to play it again with more experienced players.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

golden bubble posted:

But Null bids are critical to alleviating unlucky draws of all low cards.

That's true, except we never took the game that seriously and laughed it off when someone drew a hand with no card higher than an eight or similar. For us at least, trick taking games were at least as much about talking poo poo than the actual game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah honestly the same happens in bridge and getting a yarborough is hilarious. You can basically treat trick taking games as using duplicate rules: if you think of a tournament setting, and all tables are dealt the same hand, your goal is to do better than the people that have the same cards.

If you do that for all team based trick taking games, probably all not team based too, all the luck based stuff is gone and you have a way to win: play accurately given your cards, ponder what most people would do in your position, etc

Like, having no face cards you still have decisions, and you can still make mistakes. Minimize mistakes, play perfectly, presto even a lovely hand gives you things to do.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

PlaneGuy posted:

Keythedral is one of my favourite games of all time. Just make sure you play with something that resembles 1st edition scoring (no points for resources at the end). 2nd ed. was a mistake.

It's the second edition :(

But the scoring is the only difference, right?

So one less colum and no ressource scoring at the end, right? Or is there anything else?

What makes the second edition scoring so bad?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 2, 2019

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Selecta84 posted:

It's the second edition :(

But the scoring is the only difference, right?

So one less colum and no ressource scoring at the end, right? Or is there anything else?

What makes the second edition scoring so bad?

I would still buy it, just make sure everyone knows you're playing 1st ed. rules. You can use the 2nd ed values on the tiles or even the extra column, but the important thing is to not score resources.

The bad thing is the score you get from resources is equal to the score you get on tiles, so buying tiles are a wasted action unless you are sure you are winning. Since the game ends when the tiles are all bought, the game slows to a crawl as players collect resources for points instead of actually moving towards the end of the game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

PlaneGuy posted:

I would still buy it, just make sure everyone knows you're playing 1st ed. rules. You can use the 2nd ed values on the tiles or even the extra column, but the important thing is to not score resources.

The bad thing is the score you get from resources is equal to the score you get on tiles, so buying tiles are a wasted action unless you are sure you are winning. Since the game ends when the tiles are all bought, the game slows to a crawl as players collect resources for points instead of actually moving towards the end of the game.

OK, got it (and already bought it).

Gonna play with first edition scoring then. Nobody in my group knows the game so that should not be a problem.

I read a few reviews and a big negative point are cards you can buy. They are supposed to be a bit swingy. Any thoughts on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I got Mansions of Madness on clearance at Target for $50, have I made a mistake?