Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

spacetoaster posted:

He really likes older rock (ac/dc, alice cooper, black sabbath, etc).

Get my dude an SG clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

That looks really nice! The reviews are all good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8qYAaL_1b8

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so my wife and I really, really want a digital piano for the family. Something that will last, feels good, and sounds good, and doesn't necessarily require extra speakers, even if the built in ones aren't perfect. We can get those down the road, or use my monitors in a pinch.

We're looking at the Yamaha Arius YDP-S34, which from Costco, is currently $1299.99 (here in :canada: money). That's slightly over our budget for this, but we're willing to stretch it for that.

Ugh. I feel like I'm out of the loop when it comes to some audio stuff (like what digital piano to get, or what surround sound entertainment audio set up is worth it), whereas other things (DAWs, vst plugins, orchestral sample sets, etc), I know my stuff. So, that being said, I'd really love to know your thoughts on whether this piano is a good investment, given our aim, or if I'd be much better off with X or Y for a similar or lower price. Thanks a ton!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So the Arius line is pretty decent, the CFX Grand sampling sounds good to my ear. My complaints for it are that the keys aren't a synthetic ebony/ivory or wood, just plastic so to me it's always felt off. Not bad per se but the feel on a P515 from Yamaha is a lot nicer because of the keys being wood. The Roland digital keyboards tend to have a nicer feeling key at lower levels but some people don't like the piano modelling of the supernatural system and they tend to run a little more expensive. The F140R is kind of similar to the Arius series in looks and features and the RP501 would be a step up size and feature wise (has things like the ability to half pedal).

The Arius would be a good option I think if you aren't too worried about the key feeling or half pedal (really only needed for some high level Royal Conservatory of Music exams). Roland would also do fine if you can take some time to see how you feel about the modelling they use. For the Roland, if you think that might be a good choice but the inital cost is too much, L&M is doing a financing promo until this Sunday, October 6th where you can do 24 months 0% interest financing on the two models I mentioned above.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=promo&PromosID=580&Current=0

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ugh. I feel like I'm out of the loop when it comes to some audio stuff (like what digital piano to get, or what surround sound entertainment audio set up is worth it), whereas other things (DAWs, vst plugins, orchestral sample sets, etc), I know my stuff. So, that being said, I'd really love to know your thoughts on whether this piano is a good investment, given our aim, or if I'd be much better off with X or Y for a similar or lower price. Thanks a ton!

To me, there's only one thing that really matters for pianos, and that's the feeling of the keys.

The (acoustic) piano sounds of any brand are generally speaking pretty great. They've been pretty great for the past 20 years or so. Extras are mostly in terms of physical modeling (sympathetic resonance, or even using no samples whatsoever.

You can use different speakers on a digital piano. You can use a laptop or module to choose different sounds. However, you can't replace the keys without replacing the entire piano.

Except for a few, digital pianos do not have hammer action resembling that of uprights/grands. The entire mechanism is missing. This makes the feel different, even though the feel of the weight and the required force to depress a key is the same.

If you like what you hear and you like what your fingers feel, go for it. Some brands are heavier, some brands are lighter.

Ultimately my dream is to get a nice Yamaha acoustic that'll last decades. For now, I've done with a Roland FP7 (already nearly 10 years old now) and it holds up well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Weird BIAS posted:

So the Arius line is pretty decent, the CFX Grand sampling sounds good to my ear. My complaints for it are that the keys aren't a synthetic ebony/ivory or wood, just plastic so to me it's always felt off. Not bad per se but the feel on a P515 from Yamaha is a lot nicer because of the keys being wood. The Roland digital keyboards tend to have a nicer feeling key at lower levels but some people don't like the piano modelling of the supernatural system and they tend to run a little more expensive. The F140R is kind of similar to the Arius series in looks and features and the RP501 would be a step up size and feature wise (has things like the ability to half pedal).

The Arius would be a good option I think if you aren't too worried about the key feeling or half pedal (really only needed for some high level Royal Conservatory of Music exams). Roland would also do fine if you can take some time to see how you feel about the modelling they use. For the Roland, if you think that might be a good choice but the inital cost is too much, L&M is doing a financing promo until this Sunday, October 6th where you can do 24 months 0% interest financing on the two models I mentioned above.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=promo&PromosID=580&Current=0

I believe that the S34 does do half pedal:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/arius/ydp-s34/specs.html

Also, while I absolutely get what you're both saying with regards to the feel of the keys, and I'll need to actually test it out myself at some point, there IS an actual hammer mechanism inside to mimic a real piano. It's also graded, so the lower the note, the heavier the feel. As for the keys themselces, I mean, it's synthetic ivory/ebony, but that's fine with me.

Kind of an aside, but am I the only one who prefers non-weighted keys for synths?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 2, 2019

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Depends on the synth, but most yeah I prefer non-weighted keys too. I think the preference for weighted keys really comes from older times still carrying over where people learn piano first and then come to synths.

I came from piano to synths and I understand wanting that extra mechanism of control that you can physically manipulate in a tactile way instead of a pedal or through a setting though.

There's just something about the hammer hitting the string that makes sense on a piano whereas on a synth it feels almost cumbersome.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This is a wicked dumb question but how do you guys clean your guitars neck/fretboard? I let my friend play a guitar of mine and he had something sticky on his fingers and now its all over my electric guitar :argh: anything specific to use to clean it?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
oil soap and naphtha, condition the fretboard afterward with lemon oil if it's bare wood

use a spare toothbrush to get up against the frets

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I mentioned it in some other thread, but for full-size digital pianos, for me, the feeling was key. I was most interested in a Roland piano, until I got to play a newer model Casio that came in and I liked the feel of the keys far more. In the end it was $400 instead of $1000 and I still enjoy it and don't feel like I am missing anything. When I sit down and play, those keys still make my fingers happy. It sounds stupid, but I get that same way when playing my strat vs my other guitars.

Synths generally don't have weighted keys because they are meant to be easier to play faster live. Or something. I honestly like the Microfreaks touch keys because of how fast those are over cheapy synth keys. So..

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 2, 2019

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
i have a friend who is obsessed with finding the right aftertouch. idk if he's found it. he also has some neurotic OCD issues.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Part of it can be that piano teachers will prefer weighted keys so having a similar feel makes it easier for lessons when you aren’t going from one feel to another. And RCM requirements exclude certain features from digital pianos at certain grade levels. To the point you probably have to own a baby grand or grand to do ARCT certification.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Philthy posted:

I mentioned it in some other thread, but for full-size digital pianos, for me, the feeling was key. I was most interested in a Roland piano, until I got to play a newer model Casio that came in and I liked the feel of the keys far more. In the end it was $400 instead of $1000 and I still enjoy it and don't feel like I am missing anything. When I sit down and play, those keys still make my fingers happy. It sounds stupid, but I get that same way when playing my strat vs my other guitars.

What model was it?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Casio CDP-S350 - I still love it. The Roland I was looking at was the Juno DS-88.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 3, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Philthy posted:

Casio CDP-S350 - I still love it. The Roland I was looking at was the Juno DS-88.

Thanks so much!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kind of an aside, but am I the only one who prefers non-weighted keys for synths?

nope! this is very common.

i bought a used yamaha p105, and it's fine for me, but i don't really play the piano

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'd like to isolate a couple bars of music from a show into a ringtone. However, there's no spot where it's 100% clean, there's always some contamination from dialog/etc. Is there a way to take multiple clips of the same riff and sort of take the "overlapping" portions of the waveform to filter out the dialog a little bit?

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Not without some sort of AI tool that may or may not exist. However, If you have a bunch of clips that all have different contamination but the exact same music and there's no variation in the timing whatsoever (like digitally perfect), I suppose you could line up each clip on separate tracks in a DAW so that the music reinforces itself while the background noise would sum to a lower level wash. Basically the level of music over background noise would increase by about 3dB each time you doubled the number of clips.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you're lining them up in a DAW you may as well use whatever takes system it has. Like Reaper for example will let you build a single perfect take by marking the bits you want to use from your original takes, and it'll just hop between them during playback

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
haha never mind it's on loving soundcloud, of course

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Is there a preferred marketplace to sell electronic musical components?

My girlfriends dad passed away recently and he's left behind a load of old vacuum tubes and amp speakers.
We believe the speakers all still work but have no way of testing the tubes. Some are vintage and some are more modern.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Vitamins posted:

Is there a preferred marketplace to sell electronic musical components?

My girlfriends dad passed away recently and he's left behind a load of old vacuum tubes and amp speakers.
We believe the speakers all still work but have no way of testing the tubes. Some are vintage and some are more modern.

Reverb is the main go to nowadays.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is from a long rear end time ago, but with Christmas around the corner I think now is as good a time as any to follow up on this...

Pokey Araya posted:

I. M. Gei posted:

So I’ve been interested in getting into music arrangement for a number of years, and I’m looking for recommendations for software/equipment that can... how do I put this?... isolate various sounds/parts in the songs I want to arrange, so I can hear the notes in each part better.

Yes, I know I’m overthinking this, and I don’t care. Just roll with me.

I guess my first question is, does this even exist?

Melodyne can help. It ain't cheap, but its what we use in the studio I work at.

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdP7foaKuw

So I’m assuming I need to use a microphone to record songs into Melodyne. Are there any particular mics that are better suited to this than others, or will any mic work as long as it isn’t super lovely? Also is there anything else I should consider getting to improve the quality of my recordings so the splitting and sound quality are better? Does my computer need to have any particular specs?

I may need to post these questions in the Home Recording megathread, but since my initial question came from here, I figured I’d try this thread again first.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 14, 2019

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i think you might be overthinking it--i'm pretty sure you can just load audio from a ripped CD or whatever directly into melodyne. it has to be in the right format, but you don't need to rerecord it unless you don't have a digital version.

but also that seems like way overkill on price if you're just doing transcriptions. you could try just isolating frequencies with an eq plugin in a daw. i'm not great at transcription, and when i need the extra help, eq generally gets me close enough to figure it out.

depending on the songs, too, you might be able to find multitrack/stem versions. i think most of the songs that were in guitar hero and rock band are easily available, and there's a handful of others floating around too. those are the literal tracks before they got mixed, too, so they will be infinitely more intelligible/useful for your purposes than any other method. the only real issue is that there's a good chance your songs won't be available since so relatively few multitracks have ever come out.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I used to write electronic music in FruityLoops and Reason back in the day and I’ve been interested in diving back in. New things are scary and I’m overwhelmed by the choice of software these days. If I just want to have fun making beats and loops, and I’m using a MacBook with no other gear, what’s recommended these days? FL Studio seems basically unchanged from 15 years ago so should I stick with that out of semi-familiarity?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

I used to write electronic music in FruityLoops and Reason back in the day and I’ve been interested in diving back in. New things are scary and I’m overwhelmed by the choice of software these days. If I just want to have fun making beats and loops, and I’m using a MacBook with no other gear, what’s recommended these days? FL Studio seems basically unchanged from 15 years ago so should I stick with that out of semi-familiarity?

FL Studio is great. If that's the workflow you're familiar with, that's really the most important part IMO.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
FLStudio might look the same, but they've added a poo poo ton of stuff since. Arguably as advanced as anything else in the top tier. I'd say it's only missing something like Max For Live to put it over the edge. The good news is, you can update to the latest version of FLStudio for free. Doesn't matter what version you owned before, you get lifetime free updates. Go nuts!

It runs fine on my 2013 Macbook Pro as well. Very slick.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 26, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Philthy posted:

FLStudio might look the same, but they've added a poo poo ton of stuff since. Arguably as advanced as anything else in the top tier. I'd say it's only missing something like Max For Live to put it over the edge. The good news is, you can update to the latest version of FLStudio for free. Doesn't matter what version you owned before, you get lifetime free updates. Go nuts!

It runs fine on my 2013 Macbook Pro as well. Very slick.

I would assume that FLS would generally flow the same, only with more stuff now. They changed it up majorly in version 5 (I think) to offer recording rather than just sequencer beat creation, so if the goon in question has used it since then, they should be good. Hopefully at least.

garbage horse
Jul 31, 2015

lovin it
So I just bought a Scarlett 2i2, and it sounds good when recording and monitoring, but when listening to audio from a program like Spotify or Youtube through the 2i2, the sound is kind of tinny and occasionally crackly (especially when adjusting the volume on the unit itself.) Any fixes for this?

garbage horse fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 27, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
If you are getting crackling sound when adjusting the monitor knob on the 2i2, then the issue is probably with the potentiometer that is being adjusted by turning the knob. If its a brand new device, then it should still be under warranty and you could probably get a replacement. Otherwise a quick fix might be to use some Deoxit but I would look up instructions for doing this as I haven't tried this yet.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

If I just want to have fun making beats and loops, and I’m using a MacBook with no other gear, what’s recommended these days?
Reason is pretty complete in terms of instruments you get with it but FL can be cheaper.

quote:

FL Studio seems basically unchanged from 15 years ago so should I stick with that out of semi-familiarity?
The answer to this is that it's software so you can try it out for 2 weeks or so and decide if it still does what you like :)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I would assume that FLS would generally flow the same, only with more stuff now. They changed it up majorly in version 5 (I think) to offer recording rather than just sequencer beat creation, so if the goon in question has used it since then, they should be good. Hopefully at least.

Yes, it's still primarily pattern -> linear based and the step sequencer is still there for quick sketching and you're able to pop over into the piano roll when you want to get into it. It does have a live mode like Ableton, but i've never really felt they put in enough effort to consider it polished enough. I'm sure it's on someones to-do list, though. They update quite frequently, almost every month with a major release twice a year.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm having a hard time search-engining this question. Can I play Breaktweaker as a drum machine? (One sample assigned per pad, instead of having the pads trigger patterns?)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The Making Electronic Music thread is archived, but the OP recommends the book Dance Music Manual. I know zip about sound design, music theory, or mixing/mastering. Is this still a good book to pick up? The 4th edition was recently released. I already have Making Music by Dennis DeSantis. Any other good books to be on the lookout for? I'd like to make a nice little library.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 18, 2020

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm having a hard time search-engining this question. Can I play Breaktweaker as a drum machine? (One sample assigned per pad, instead of having the pads trigger patterns?)

Breaktweaker is much more of a sequencer that happens to load samples for ease of use than it is a traditional drum sampler, and if I remember right it only has six pads, so only six samples per 'kit'.
All the supplied sounds are just wavs so you can load them into whatever sampler you like, or drop them on the timeline. This would mean that you'd miss out on the majority of Breaktweaker's unique features, although the sound library that comes with it covers a hell of a lot of territory, particularly with the expansion packs.

To answer your question though, MIDI notes C1-F1 play the sounds assigned to each track.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is there a thread for violin and the learning thereof that I've missed?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I don’t think so - if you have any Qs I can answer the basics. I’m pretty sure there’s some actual violinists/fiddle players around too

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How did the Flinstones foley get that beat feat sound? Sounds like percussion of some kind.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This one, right? I’m in a loud place and can’t listen to it but maybe someone else can pick it up. Also, today I learned there is a TV sound effects Wikia with a HUGE list of cartoon sound effects.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhEVXpzTL4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

My first guess was a bongo or a paddle of some sort. I did some research and it seems some studios used bongos (possibly slowed down or sped up to alter the pitch and timbre), or oven mitts slapped on wood or concrete.

This site says Hanna Barbara used bongos for the Flintstones (and a lotta other shows) but it was only used in one episode? I’m not super familiar with the show outside watching it as a kid, but I feel like that was a really common sound effect throughout the show, right?

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 23, 2020