Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Portfolio: RSI posted:

In the pantheon of enduring corporate entities, one would be hard pressed to find a company that has become as entwined with Humanity’s development as Roberts Space Industries. Whether sailing through the cosmos or walking down your average street, RSI’s contributions to our society are everywhere, but not many know the origin of this institution of innovation.

The Beginning

While most corporate endeavors begin with a dream and a single product, entrepreneur Chris Roberts’ dream was to create a culture that would foster creativity and innovation — one that would change with the times and continue to look to the future. His goal was nothing less than a company that would stay consistent and relevant in the marketplace regardless of whether it was next week or a thousand years down the line.

The great irony was that although the company became synonymous with a wide array of spaceships and terraforming, the ‘Space’ in Roberts Space Industries was an aspirational reflection of where Humanity could evolve to, rather than the company’s actual focus. The first product RSI released in 2043 was actually a hyper-efficient battery converter for ground-based civilian vehicles.

Officially formed in 2038, Roberts Space Industries’ founder, a young and enterprising inventor named Chris Roberts, established the core tenets of the company’s philosophy long before he began working on his first creation:

Learn from the past
Reach for the future
Fuel innovation
Cultivate talent
Always be relevant

Earth of the 21st century was a vastly different world than we know today. Although Humanity had travelled to space, it was a rare event and so cost-prohibitive that it was only possible for a few of the various ruling provinces of the era. The truth was that Earth was reaching a critical mass of overpopulation. Numerous wars erupted across the planet as the populace faced food, water and energy shortages.

Roberts looked for innovators from a variety of disciplines to join his team in an attempt to alleviate some of issues of the day. Some of RSI’s initial products ranged from a compact water-purification system to an energy-efficient power network. There was even a small expansion into cricket farming.

Although his company found modest success in these endeavors, Roberts refused to be complacent and continued to seek out greater innovations. In 2061, while studying a recent crop of doctoral dissertations from a prestigious engineering school, he came across the work of Dr. Scott Childress, whose thesis envisioned exciting work in the field of more affordable engine systems for spacecraft.

The prospect of making space travel more accessible reawakened a lifelong dream. Roberts quickly met with the fresh graduate and put together a team to help translate this dream into the real world. Although the process was not without its setbacks, in 2075 Roberts Space Industries unveiled their prototype Quantum Core Engine. Suddenly, space travel didn’t seem that fantastical anymore.

Building Worlds

The implications of this technology were immediately recognized around the world. Exploration missions were suddenly feasible, as piloted vessels could now push further into the solar system. Various states (called ‘countries’ at that time) that previously couldn’t afford space travel were suddenly able to embark on missions of their own as well.

Roberts knew that although making space more accessible was a giant leap forwards for our species, it still didn’t solve Earth’s teeming population, which was reaching a critical mass. He pulled together a dedicated team from RSI’s various subsidiaries to create their most ambitious technology yet: terraforming a planet. This scientific conundrum became Roberts’ obsession until he passed away in 2108.

Though terraforming remained elusive in Roberts’ life, the new CEO continued to practice his corporate philosophy of seeking out innovators and finally, though it would take two generations of team members and almost forty years, RSI unveiled a technological breakthrough on 2113:04:21 that would lay the groundwork for terraforming a world. With a potential solution in sight, governments of the world, corporations and scientific minds came together to create a global collective focused on terraforming Mars (which at the time was completely uninhabitable). Finally, there was hope of relieving Humanity’s desperate population problem.

This project lasted decades and faced an incalculable loss when an accident, known as the Mars Tragedy, caused the deaths of nearly five thousand early settlers. During the glacial pace of this project’s sprawling scope, the Chairman’s policy of project diversification yielded another spectacular achievement. Responding to issues faced by the terraforming division’s efforts to transport resources to Mars, RSI’s Astro Development Team created the Zeus, the first commercially available spacecraft.

With Roberts Space Industries now at the forefront of spacecraft and terraforming tech, the company had firmly bound itself with Humanity’s development. As decades turned into centuries, terraforming technology would continue to be refined and RSI would expand further into ship development. It seemed like the company was incapable of going anywhere but up. However it turned out that the biggest threat wouldn’t come in the form of alien wars or maintaining market relevance.

It would come in the form of Human nature.

The Dark Age

For many, the ascension of Ivar Messer to Prime Citizen was a welcome change. At the time, the UPE had well-documented scenarios where endless bureaucratic debate completely stalled the government’s ability to do anything, so cutting through the dialogue in a single direction wasn’t seen as particularly ominous.

Unfortunately, Ivar consolidated his power over the years and subtly removed any checks that could challenge him, making it difficult for most people of that time to realize exactly what was happening. As his son took over the title of Imperator, the Second Tevarin War provided a perfect opportunity to remind the public why they needed decisive leadership.

As the Messers became more and more ensconced in their position, RSI lost their military contracts to Aegis Dynamics, the manufacturer that created the weapons of war favored by Ivar Messer. Several of RSI’s divisions still worked closely with the scientific bureaus and terraforming oversight committees, but as a whole, the company converted into a primarily commercial and civilian corporation.

That wasn’t to say that RSI was immune from the Messers’ wrath. In 2757, the shocking death of Anthony Tanaka reverberated through the Empire. Although the event was never mentioned in any news cycles, footage of the twelve-year-old boy’s refusal to work and subsequent execution on a factory floor still made its way through underground activist channels.

RSI CEO Avel Gedima was one of the few prominent public figures who not only acknowledged the sad death, but ordered a complete evaluation of all RSI facilities to make sure that they were adhering to all health and safety standards. A few months later, Ulysses Messer X released ‘damning and incontrovertible evidence of corporate malfeasance’ to the NewsOrgs, claiming that Gedima had embezzled imperial finances for personal use. The case languished in the courts for years, but the constant barrage of ‘evidence’ forced Gedima to step down.

After the Fall

In the wake of the revolution that toppled the Messers, the Empire experienced a period of free fall. The newly installed Imperator Toi and the restored High Advocate and High Secretary were busy trying to ferret out the rotten elements of the government, while the various planets seemed to turn on each other. For awhile, accusations of having collaborated with the Messer became the weapon of choice. Some of these charges were legitimate, but the unscrupulous used the accusation to escape debts or finally resolve feuds with their enemies. While Aegis Dynamics felt the brunt of the people’s fury and were commonly cited as symbols of tyranny, they weren’t the only ones to suffer from these witch hunts.

As a company, RSI hadn’t exactly prospered under the Messer’s rule, but they had maintained their status as a prominent company. Several historians of the era asserted that while RSI didn’t actively promote the Messer agenda, they consistently failed to use their considerable influence to decry it.

In response to these allegations, RSI established the Future Foundation, a specific division of the company devoted to charitable foundations and grants, and announced that for the first time since the founding of the company they were going to add a new tenet to Chairman Roberts’ original list of corporate philosophies:

Stand for good

The Modern Age

From their civilian ships like the Aurora all the way up to cutting-edge military vessels like the Bengal carrier, Roberts Space Industries continues to be a constant force of innovation in the vast corporate landscape. Meanwhile, the Future Foundation awards millions of credits a year to help promote education, fund new research and even provide housing opportunities.

By sticking to the core concepts outlined by a visionary entrepreneur almost a thousand years ago, it’s clear that RSI is going to be a fixture in Human development for a long time to come.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17268-Portfolio-RSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That pile of trash word salad came out today?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

God, that reads like the worst kind of Mary Sue bollocks. Hands up who thinks Crobblers spent all night writing it?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

That reads like a super lovely fan re-imaging of Dune or maybe even Asimov's Foundation novels.

The whole "Roberts Space Industries" story is one of the most cringey elements of the project. It's something a 14 year old would do when writing a lovely sci-fi short novel.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

That pile of trash word salad came out today?

Look it takes a long time to come up with the brilliant ideas that power Star Citizen.

Ideas like "Chris Roberts, literally the guy making the game, invented spaceflight and lived to be like 120 years old in the fictional universe that the game is set in. The company in the game is not an allusion to him, it's actually named after him."

That kind of forward thinking takes time. Years, in fact. It's the kind of thing you can't rush except right before your next big ship sale.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

It's really interesting how open they all are to an angle of criticism that involves the only woman in the company. I mean don't get it twisted she's completely incompetent at the job and shows no interest in it, but that's everyone at the company. So I find it kind of ironic how Citizens are looking at this particular piece and going "No, no, let's not rush to condemn this, even if they're wrong about everything else. This part definitely rings true to me."

I guess their inherent anger at and suspicion of all women with positions of power outweighs their worship of Chris. But they're still keeping the two belief structures separate in their minds. Truly fascinating.

This is depressing and so probably true, at least in some cases. But I think it's more likely that they're willing to lay some blame at the feet of anyone other than Chris Roberts. They mistakenly think he's a visionary genius who's doing things nobody has done before and represents the heart and soul of what they imagine Star Citizen to be. Sandi, and everyone else at the company, are ancillary. There are just very few other people at CIG who've been as openly cynical while draining the company for their own personal use. That, and the idea of "girl being nice to me until I'm out of money" probably feels very, very familiar for the SC community.

I think Chris and the game are an inseparable entity to these backers. They won't lose faith in SC until they lose faith in him, and they won't lose faith in him because there's no substance to the man to lose faith in. Chris Roberts is basically the title character from Life of Brian.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

In other news the game has a ton of content shut the gently caress up about content look here's some content

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

In other other news, the estimates we made earlier about a player having to hand-pick literally thousands and thousands of cave-mined minerals before they can buy the basic economic unit of one starter ship appears to be true.

It's one of my favorite things about the game-as-it-exists. In any other game 33,000 "Credits" or whatever would be a nice haul. In Star Citizen it's loving nothing, because the prices for the most basic ships start around 300k, and swiftly climb into the tens of millions. None of the game rewards will ever be realistically achievable with in-game activities and it's so weird that the fans don't care.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Thom12255 posted:

Sandi's acting 'career' is pretty sad to even hear about, wonder what she'd be doing without the SC whales.

There's a clip in the latest Bootcha vid where she's doing some kind of bizarre hula dance and holy poo poo, this was years and years ago and she looks miserable as poo poo, she's hardly moving, has a huge frown, and is just looking around the set disinterestedly like she took the job at gunpoint. I guess she figured it was too much a bit part for someone of such exceptional talent - she should be able to show no ability at all and just be given the best positions and hundreds of millions of dollars for free! It's gotta kill her that her husband managed to do exactly that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

There's a clip in the latest Bootcha vid where she's doing some kind of bizarre hula dance and holy poo poo, this was years and years ago and she looks miserable as poo poo, she's hardly moving, has a huge frown, and is just looking around the set disinterestedly like she took the job at gunpoint. I guess she figured it was too much a bit part for someone of such exceptional talent - she should be able to show no ability at all and just be given the best positions and hundreds of millions of dollars for free! It's gotta kill her that her husband managed to do exactly that.

Her "boss bitch firing someone over the phone" portfolio reel footage is so cringey. She's such a bad actor.

Sarsapariller posted:

In other other news, the estimates we made earlier about a player having to hand-pick literally thousands and thousands of cave-mined minerals before they can buy the basic economic unit of one starter ship appears to be true.

It's one of my favorite things about the game-as-it-exists. In any other game 33,000 "Credits" or whatever would be a nice haul. In Star Citizen it's loving nothing, because the prices for the most basic ships start around 300k, and swiftly climb into the tens of millions. None of the game rewards will ever be realistically achievable with in-game activities and it's so weird that the fans don't care.

Why indeed

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Pass, I need my giant robots.

I sentence you to Knight's & Magic. :colbert:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

poo poo, was I supposed to save my receipts?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Who was Goemo again? Wasn't he a diehard supporter?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

Thom12255 posted:

She definitely still needs the project, she wasn't able to start 'acting' regularly again until they got this income source.
Wouldn't a "Sandi did invest a lot of resources to get the role, but got cut out, again" - refund thread make sense?
Sleazy Hollywood producers making misleading promises and then not delivering should be held accountable.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I'm going to stream later today. Probably just working on blog code but if anyone wants to start u some homoerotic meme cyber...

A Commando posted:

Just had some terrible news about an old backer thats walking away from SC and i expect he isnt the last.. combat pilots leaving and when i say leaving they are selling their ships and getting money back. Second person this week.

:yeshaha:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 2, 2019

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Virtual Captain posted:

I'm going to stream later today. Probably just working on blog code but if anyone wants to start u some homoerotic meme cyber...

:yeshaha:

Why would you need combat pilots when your space yacht can instantly vaporize any ship that costs less

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
why would you need to make money in game when you can just use real money to buy anything you need

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Gort posted:

why would you need to make money in game when you can just use real money to buy anything you need

So that you can insist that the game isn't pay-to-win, duh

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:clint:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 2, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baxta posted:

Who was Goemo again? Wasn't he a diehard supporter?

Annoying dumbass Fandred1 who nobody really likes who is lately doing 180s about the project every few months as Goemo.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tom seems to have some issues.

Has anyone suggested he take a break for a few months? :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

yeah that guy needs to loosen his tin foil hat, it's cutting off blood flow to his brain.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Had to laugh at the bit where Sandi wanted to do an 'in universe' show. I think the best implementation that i've ever seen was Max Payne 1 and 2, and all it took was some voice actors and a handful of sprites. I ran the entire game a second time just to watch these shows to completion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heJrK751zi8

But Sandi wanted to do full on news cast FMV, probably some drama shows...

Yknow, slapping together some 'in universe' media content would be a relatively easy task for a few talented artists and great for shoveling at the fans.

The VP of Marketing, the best at business since she was a little girl came up with the idea of putting videos that market the game, in the game.

Really can't fault that idea, not at all.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait did Tom_Neverwinter seriously make a subreddit called /r/StarCitizen_Refund to counter people at /r/StarCitizen_Refunds

This dude is nuts

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

[citation needed]

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gross negligence.

CIG's mission statement right there.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Frogbear posts more coherently than this.

I think Tom might just be one of those dudes who just needs to be ignored and forgotten about tbh. Seems like he'd probably be a hoot armed with a megaphone in a busy area though, well until the cops showed up anyway. :)

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

This guy's posts read like a manifesto that will be on the news one day. Stay safe out there haters.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

I genuinely hope he is being overly dramatic as a joke or as a weird RP type setup. You would never think that the meta of that whole post revolved around a video game. :smuggo:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I'm streaming some highly boring stuff now.

https://www.twitch.tv/virtual_captain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He posts like that other lunatic who eventually melted down and deleted his account. Same guy?