Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Bryan: "Whaddya meeeaaannn a dragon of... of CHAOS. Have any of you listeners heard of this poo poo? Craig do you see this? Have you heard about this?"

Craig: "Yes, Bryan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

bryan extremely doesn’t seem like a jbp kinda guy

I'm not asserting that, just saying it was a weird place to go. It's jarring to read about Jorpy on the toilet and it not being C-SPAM

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Bryan is in a rare state of ignorance where his level of expertise is so hyper-focused that him quoting bad people or people bad at being people is easily forgiven because it’s very obvious he doesn’t know any better.

his expertise is, of course, chasing after his own opinions on wrestling

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I question his expertise at even that

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Bryan is phenomenal at playing a character for radio

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's talking about how good the Bret documentary is, then just drops in something like "even University Of Toronto professor Jordan Peterson says it's the best documentary about anything ever", apropos of nothing.

So THAT's why he keeps showing up in my Youtube recommendations.

But on a sad note, a lot of wrestlers read the first couple of books Peterson put out and think he's an authority on... pretty much any subject. This is why carnies still make a living.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Mr. Swoon posted:

But on a sad note, a lot of wrestlers read the first couple of books Peterson put out and think he's an authority on... pretty much any subject. This is why carnies still make a living.

It's not just wrestlers

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Did Dave almost make a Benoit joke on the latest WOR?!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kevino07 posted:

Did Dave almost make a Benoit joke on the latest WOR?!
No. He just was going to joke about shooting the dog

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao oh my god Dave’s reveal that hogan and flair are the biggest draws for wwe in years in 2019

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

When is meltzer going to have ratings for last night? I'm dying to know how AEW and NXT did.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Helicity posted:

When is meltzer going to have ratings for last night? I'm dying to know how AEW and NXT did.

Tomorrow

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Helicity posted:

Ratings will be out around 4:30 today, I'd bet on him getting AEW quarters in the Observer next week but maybe they'll get them to him by press time?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Nightmarish tease related to WOR being sent out:

For the first few weeks, we will release a Friday night WOR with Dave and Bryan. If the show remains long-term, Dave will be joined by either Bryan, Garrett Gonzales, Jim Valley or Mike Sempervive depending on availability.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dave and semp are a power couple, don't let WOL fool you

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A radio show without limits???

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is this really that hard? Just have Vinny give him a call.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MassRafTer posted:

A shows in back?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Please sweet Jesus yes bring back Sin Limite :pray:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Semp co-hosted the 6:05 superpodcast once and I thought he was fine. It's something about WOL :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He's usually good on the Adam and Mike Big Audio Nightmare too. He's been better on WOL the last few months but he still has a tendency to overtalk a point and talk faster/more hurried as he runs out of breath or tries to acknowledge potential counter-arguments before they can be raised, often losing his point in the process.

Maybe the particular structure of the show with the ad breaks throw him off even after all this time, or it could just be that his humor/style and Bryan's seem to clash a fair bit.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Sempervive has a whiny sad sack voice and I don't like it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sempervive has had one good moment ever "have you ever been stiffed by a little person?"

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bryan reviewing the Wednesday night shows on WOR, WOL, and B&V is too much.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Bryan reviewing the Wednesday night shows on WOR, WOL, and B&V is too much.

Especially when he makes the point over and over and over and over and over again that NXT needs to be in a bigger building

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Raffles posted:

NXT needs to be in a bigger building

Let me write that down

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

He's usually good on the Adam and Mike Big Audio Nightmare too. He's been better on WOL the last few months but he still has a tendency to overtalk a point and talk faster/more hurried as he runs out of breath or tries to acknowledge potential counter-arguments before they can be raised, often losing his point in the process.

Maybe the particular structure of the show with the ad breaks throw him off even after all this time, or it could just be that his humor/style and Bryan's seem to clash a fair bit.

There's definitely something about doing live radio which changes people. If you compare the Dave Meltzer of Eyada WOL to the Dave Meltzer of WOR it's like totally different people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Paisley doing the bubbly bit was adorable

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

There's definitely something about doing live radio which changes people. If you compare the Dave Meltzer of Eyada WOL to the Dave Meltzer of WOR it's like totally different people.

Dave still has the will to live and sell bears for examples

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The terrified screams and clanging machinery from roller coasters in the background while Jim Valley rambles about NXT is the funniest WOL moment of the year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

God, Eyada Meltzer is loving nuts in how different he feels. He's so lively and playful, and lil' Bryan Alvarez in the background occasionally chiming in is adorable.

Low Desert Punk posted:

The terrified screams and clanging machinery from roller coasters in the background while Jim Valley rambles about NXT is the funniest WOL moment of the year

Sempervive and Bryan getting the giggles when that happened was the best.

Jim Valley is living an incredible life. Travels the world, hangs out with Fumi Saito, goes to amusement parks on a whim, gets to do commentary on Joshi shows. Dude owns.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1180585824108236801

"He does crossfit"

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Has Dave commented on the ufc court cases and the Ppv numbers that came up at all? Apparently they showed that his reported numbers were too high?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
^I don't think he has

Meltzer spends too much time fighting with eggs on Twitter, but this was a loving killshot.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
WWE stans are getting more and more vitriolic and stupid on Dave's twitter. i understand why he does it but these people aren't making rational, educated points and it's completely useless to try and engage with them as if they are

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Low Desert Punk posted:

WWE stans are getting more and more vitriolic and stupid on Dave's twitter. i understand why he does it but these people aren't making rational, educated points and it's completely useless to try and engage with them as if they are

countdown until WWE Mecca

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

countdown until WWE Mecca

I thought that was called SquaredCircle

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

MJeff posted:

"He does crossfit"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Benne posted:

I thought that was called SquaredCircle

There’s squaredcirclejerk for the most hardcore of the Vincels. There’s also r/observingmeltzer for the most delusional but that sub doesn’t seem too active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

TheCool69 posted:

Has Dave commented on the ufc court cases and the Ppv numbers that came up at all? Apparently they showed that his reported numbers were too high?
I don't think he ever explained why thought UFC 100 legit did 1.6 million buys once the real number came out a few years ago, either.