Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Team Yankee, Battlefront's Soviet Infantry are the bad ones compared to PSC, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

To be fair it's an accepted military principle that you want to have like twice as many people doing the attacking as the defending if the defenders are dug in etc...
It seems that the boxes come with regular and dug in British Infantry models too, so hypothetically there's an extra platoon there? Maybe?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of Team Yankee, Battlefront's Soviet Infantry are the bad ones compared to PSC, right?

BF's old metal TY infantry are really good. Their new soft plastic ones are dogshit.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Honestly, I don't mind the new ones. They're not the best, but PSC's infantry are kind of rigidly posed, so it's a bit swings and roundabouts. It'd have been better if they'd just stuck to the metal figures, but given they didn't, it's a bit of a shrug of a choice. PSC's are cheaper, obviously.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The contrast between the old metal ones and new plastics is just so incredibly jarring because I have a company of each.

Look at those faces. Look at those featureless, boxy AKs.

They're passable at tabletop, but I'm just extremely miffed at how the newer model is such an obvious downgrade.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The upside is that the plastics won't break, and 90% of painters will stop around that level of detail.

I actually prefer the plastics, having dealt with too many messed up BF metal figures.

Their hard plastics were superb though. It's a shame they've steered away from those.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

The upside is that the plastics won't break, and 90% of painters will stop around that level of detail.

I actually prefer the plastics, having dealt with too many messed up BF metal figures.

Their hard plastics were superb though. It's a shame they've steered away from those.

Their later hard plastics were superb. The earlier ones had some really hosed up sides.

But, this was kind of also the case with the soft ones; the desert men were horrible, TY soviets were passable gaming figures, and I daresay the paras look quite nice.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The infantry in Hit the Beach is superb, arguably better than their old metals. They're definitely improving, but the first plastic infantry were apalling.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Buddy just gave me an Open Fire set he got for pennies. So nice to have all those tanks on the cheap.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

LingcodKilla posted:

Buddy just gave me an Open Fire set he got for pennies. So nice to have all those tanks on the cheap.

have to say, read that as "got for his penis" for a second......

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grey Hunter posted:

Wargaming is an expensive hobby, sacrifices must be made.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

Autocorrect can be a monster.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LingcodKilla posted:

Don't thank him yet, if it's the initial run you're gonna have a bad time with the Shermans.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Don't thank him yet, if it's the initial run you're gonna have a bad time with the Shermans.

Lol I’ve put an identically together and I’m 25 year veteran of GW products. Green stuff, rubber bands and clamps have a permanent place on my desk.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol I’ve put an identically together and I’m 25 year veteran of GW products. Green stuff, rubber bands and clamps have a permanent place on my desk.

well I ran out of clamps after putting together two of the Sherman Vs. I kinda forget how warped the first batch was I put together a few years ago

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
We needed something to be a monastery for the 1812 campaign, so I made a church

More here

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That is very cool!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I swear it's huge in person. Like, hard to fit in a photo kind of huge.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone here know of a miniatures line that does plastic Ottoman Janissaries?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Does anyone here know of a miniatures line that does plastic Ottoman Janissaries?

Only in 1/72 afaik.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=52

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Warlord do metals, no one does plastics?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

lilljonas posted:

I swear it's huge in person. Like, hard to fit in a photo kind of huge.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

:captainpop:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I bought an assorted ancients lot from a dude on Ebay.

I've identified all but a couple of the miniatures (they were mostly Hoplite variants). Any help figuring out a few randoms would be appreciated.

My guesses, from left-to-right:
Velite?
Standard Bearer?
No clue.
Some sort of auxiliary?
General?
Hastati?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm pretty sure they're Romans. :|

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Barbarians playing dress up with captured gear.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Class Warcraft posted:

I've identified all but a couple of the miniatures (they were mostly Hoplite variants). Any help figuring out a few randoms would be appreciated.

My guesses, from left-to-right:
Velite?
Standard Bearer?
No clue.
Some sort of auxiliary?
General?
Hastati?

Looks like you've got...
1. Definitely a Republican era Veles.
2. A Legion Standard Bearer, either Republican or Imperial era.
3. This guy is a bit odd, but it could be an Italian Auxiliary from the Republican era. The wings on the helmet and the small shield are a bit confusing.
4. Looks like an Imperial-era Auxiliary.
5. A Centurion or other officer. There wasn't much standardisation of Officer equipment in either the Republic or the Empire, so he could fit just about any Roman army from 200BC to 150AD, although his helmet suggests Early Imperial era.
6. This guy is a bit confusing because his head looks like an Early Imperial era helmet, but his equipment suggests a Hastatus from the Repulican era. Possibly a headswap done by the original owner?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cross post from ol' paintin' thread:

White trousers will forever be the bane of my existence, but I think I've hit on a recipe that does the job reasonably:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Endman posted:

White trousers will forever be the bane of my existence, but I think I've hit on a recipe that does the job reasonably:

That looks amazing! What's the recipe?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Signal posted:

That looks amazing! What's the recipe?

Thank you! Someone in the painting thread asked too, so I'll just quote myself:

Endman posted:

Thanks!

I use a mix of ranges, but I primed with Tamiya's Grey Surface Primer, then did a couple of coats of Citadel's Administratum Grey, then a coat of Vallejo Game Colour Ghost Grey, leaving the previous colour in the recesses and folds, then a highlight along the raised edges with Vallejo Game Colour Dead White.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Looking real tight! I like when you get a bit of contrast and shades in the whites, not just flat areas.

Also, we might just dip a tad bit into Age of Sail gaming. Just a tiny tiny bit. Anyone else getting some of the new Black Sea stuff?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Those look great, and of course the officer's trousers are nice and clean.

These are mine:

lilljonas posted:

Looking real tight! I like when you get a bit of contrast and shades in the whites, not just flat areas.

Also, we might just dip a tad bit into Age of Sail gaming. Just a tiny tiny bit. Anyone else getting some of the new Black Sea stuff?

Yep! I got the M&C kit, some extra frigates, and of course the USS Constitution on the way.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Those look great, and of course the officer's trousers are nice and clean.

These are mine:

Those are some fancy pants.

Speaking of the American Revolution, I was planning on varying the colours of the hunting coats these guys are wearing, because I figured there'd be no standardisation and that the hunting coat was more an ad-hoc garment, but is that actually accurate, or would they have dyed them the same colour?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Endman posted:

Speaking of the American Revolution, I was planning on varying the colours of the hunting coats these guys are wearing, because I figured there'd be no standardisation and that the hunting coat was more an ad-hoc garment, but is that actually accurate, or would they have dyed them the same colour?

I can only answer for New England troops, but they were all undyed, and they were an issued uniform. The customization troops did amounted more to adding extra fringe and pleating the sleeves to keep them out of the way of the musket, but that's a model issue not a paint issue.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Endman posted:

There was almost no uniformity except in the very best equipped troops. From most of my research in doing my own Revolutionary War force, even vaguely dyed roughly similar colors wasn't assured a lot of the time. I am doing the Southern states where things were worse, so that may matter.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Also that, yes. And it would be pretty rare to have a whole company in matching uniforms.

Of course that doesn't look as nice on a table....

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

That is something I am debating about. I plan on having my British forces all uniform, but I will probably do the Continental Army guys in a mostly uniform way just for the look of it.

Gotta have my lovely peasant skirmishers in a wild variety of colors though. I definitely want the feel of some militia guy just running to grab a gun out of his house to rush to a battle feel.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished my Ferdínand. My wife asked if I was going for a "autumn wibe" with the color scheme. :spooky:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

autumn weib indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lord_Hambrose posted:

That is something I am debating about. I plan on having my British forces all uniform, but I will probably do the Continental Army guys in a mostly uniform way just for the look of it.

Gotta have my lovely peasant skirmishers in a wild variety of colors though. I definitely want the feel of some militia guy just running to grab a gun out of his house to rush to a battle feel.

For extra points, paint your Redcoats in varying shades of pink :)