Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Exactly one month away from my trip now. I am excited beyond words.

I have more or less finalized our itinerary. It is a bunch of awesome restaurants we'd like to hit up, with stuff like "I dunno, check out Shinjuku or some poo poo?" penciled in between the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

sale on Banksy art posted:

I used to do JET interviews. The most confident candidate I ever saw got disqualified before stepping into the interview for being weird in the waiting room. I'm sure he has posted some convoluted rants somewhere about how he was too much of an expert on Japan or some other combination of factors, never guessing that it was just that he was a jerk and we passed word to his panel not to give him a score.

Would a Master's in Religious Studies, with a focus on Japan Buddhism, be a particularly good qualification, especially if I had a year and a half of Japanese during undergrad? My Japanese is admittedly very rusty.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i have no idea why i got rejected and i'll probably just go for some other teaching program when i decide to go over because i can't see why i'd get in now over then

i imagine i was too much of a weirdo garbage boy for the degrees and prior teaching experience to overcome and now i'm just a weirdo sad boy

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Would a Master's in Religious Studies, with a focus on Japan Buddhism, be a particularly good qualification, especially if I had a year and a half of Japanese during undergrad? My Japanese is admittedly very rusty.

Your major doesn't really matter if it isn't education, and there is no requirement to speak Japanese, so while those things are a plus, they aren't as important as experience teaching or living abroad. And people still get in without those, because they are really looking for intangible qualities like being friendly, personable, showing grace under pressure.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Ok, I'm just confused because people seem to talk about how the JET program has the weirdest acceptance criteria, with people that should be immediate hires being turned down for insanely bad candidates.

I'm wondering who thinks they should be immediate hires? I helped with JET interviews before, too, and the only people who seemed to go on the immediate hire pile were people with teaching licenses or experience teaching in schools. That's not a requirement, of course, but it is a major plus, one that will outweigh deficiencies in other areas, too.

I actually think volunteer teaching work is a good idea, not just for your application but to see if it's something you really want to do. Lots of people do JET because they want to go to Japan and then find that standing in front of a classroom every day is miserable for them.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
JET is really popular now with more people applying every year so you should be doing every little thing you can to improve your chances.

If you just want to be an English teaching assistant in Japan getting into an Eikaiwa is a lot easier.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 3, 2019

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

mikeycp posted:

i have no idea why i got rejected and i'll probably just go for some other teaching program when i decide to go over because i can't see why i'd get in now over then

i imagine i was too much of a weirdo garbage boy for the degrees and prior teaching experience to overcome and now i'm just a weirdo sad boy

There are way more applicants than spots, so even people that are recommended by the consulates sometimes don't go. I remember that the consulate I worked with recommended around 50 people and fewer than half of them actually went.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks, I'll start looking for volunteer programs.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

LyonsLions posted:

There are way more applicants than spots, so even people that are recommended by the consulates sometimes don't go. I remember that the consulate I worked with recommended around 50 people and fewer than half of them actually went.

i'm mostly just bitter that they sent the rejection notice on april 1st because i'm a petty bitch

other than that i'm over it and an eikaiwa is better for me anyway since i don't want to teach really i just want a foot into being able to stay

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Not having to work nights and weekends is pretty great though.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

sale on Banksy art posted:

I used to do JET interviews. The most confident candidate I ever saw got disqualified before stepping into the interview for being weird in the waiting room. I'm sure he has posted some convoluted rants somewhere about how he was too much of an expert on Japan or some other combination of factors, never guessing that it was just that he was a jerk and we passed word to his panel not to give him a score.

Care to elaborate on "being weird?" Perhaps said weird ex-candidate is reading this very thread.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

yeah. it'll be good for my purposes. it's just not what i want to do forever because why would i want to work eikaiwa forever.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Care to elaborate on "being weird?" Perhaps said weird ex-candidate is reading this very thread.

You know how people are like "How did that guy get through? Don't they have standards?" It's because "that guy" was able to keep it together for 30 minutes and that's all the time you get to assess people. It's a drawback of the interview system in general, but for most jobs you don't fly them across the ocean and get stuck with them for at least a year.

That is to say, no, I will not elaborate and help "that guy" do a better job next time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I was curious, some people recommended trying to find volunteer teaching work before submitting in November? Does that sound right? I've worked with kids in the past, have a Humanities Master's, and tried to present my being the oldest of 4 children as experience leading and guiding kids of different ages. Would it be just extra unnecessary work?

Don't bother padding your resume with last minute volunteer work. You're already overqualified.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Slow Graffiti posted:

Also, for shoes I highly recommend a pair of Blundstone boots with some of those Dr. Scholl’s gel inserts. I do hotel maintenance for a living and am constantly on the move, and these things are a godsend. They also are light weight, slip off easily (no laces), and can be worn with pants or shorts.

Complicated ... or just go to adidas and get ultra boosts. Hmmmmmmmm. Also get a kakigori and go to hub. The trifecta of Jesus.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

prompt posted:

Complicated ... or just go to adidas and get ultra boosts. Hmmmmmmmm. Also get a kakigori and go to hub. The trifecta of Jesus.

The Holy Trinity

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a best way to say “I don’t need a bag, thanks” at the convenience store? “Fukuro wa kekkou desu” either works or I get confused stares until I say “no bag thanks” and cross my arms.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a best way to say “I don’t need a bag, thanks” at the convenience store? “Fukuro wa kekkou desu” either works or I get confused stares until I say “no bag thanks” and cross my arms.

“Sono mama de (onegaishimasu)” (“as it is (please)”) is good

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
aa, daijoubu desu

Im serious that got me through everything when I wasn't as fluent in Japanese.

Except for the single loving person at Yodobashi, who then asked "Wait, so you DO want me to register you a new point card!?!?!?"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Just hold out your hand like you're doing a weakass Force push and say Daijoubu desu. Worked for me every time. Whether because thats like "No thanks" or because they were in awe of my potential Force powers, I do not know.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Force powers

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Next wednesday night 4 of us from our Japan group are gonna get together and brute force some Ghibli museum tickets!

Wish us luck!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

arisu posted:

Next wednesday night 4 of us from our Japan group are gonna get together and brute force some Ghibli museum tickets!

Wish us luck!

good luck!

I'm going to be heading to Tokyo (and then later Kyoto and Osaka at least) next Wednesday - don't really have an itinerary firmly set but this thread has been great resource to narrow down options

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The problem with daijobu is that it basically means "I'm okay" which unfortunately can be both positive and negative. It's not really an answer to a question, if you don't want a bag say you don't want a bag (sonomama or iranai)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

fukuro wa iranai desu.

Their speedy hands sometimes still reach for a bag but I paralyze them with my elegant silence beam.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
sono mama de it is!

Off to the Akame 48 waterfalls today. Last bus back is like 3:30pm or something right? The website gives buses *to* the falls from Akameguchi but not back again :(
Edit: nvm got home safe and it was lovely!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 4, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I prefer 要らないです iranai desu

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I’m sure it’s better than the キモい! you’re used to, yes

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
?? what is your problem this time?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Well that was odd. Leaving a retro arcade near Tsutenkaku tower in Osaka and just got interviewed for some Japanese TV thing. Totally forgot to ask for the channel or show name though :(

If anything can think of the show so I can look out for it online please let me know!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 5, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’m in Japan.

Train is packed. Flight was long. But I’m here.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
omedeto

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is Shinjuku Gyoen closed Mondays? I’m seeing conflicting times.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

Is Shinjuku Gyoen closed Mondays? I’m seeing conflicting times.

Looks like it is yeah, per https://www.env.go.jp/garden/shinjukugyoen/2_guide/guide.html

毎週月曜日(月曜日が休日の場合は翌平日)、年末年始(12月29日~1月3日)

Says it's closed every Monday and for New Years from 12/29-1/3.

No big deal though, it's a nice park but nothings really popping there at the moment. Plus it's lousy with tourists all the time now.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
On the off chance that anyone is interested, Cory Henry is coming to Tokyo at the end of the month: http://www.billboard-live.com/pg/shop/show/index.php?mode=detail1&event=11632&shop=1

I've got tickets to the 10/31 18:30 show in the casual section if anyone else wants to meet up.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I noticed some of the tiled roofs have an arch that looks like a handle on them, but roof tile handles doesn't really come up with anything. What are they for?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Do you mean old roofs or new roofs? On new houses, I think they're probably anchors for an eventual installation of solar panels.

EDIT: Oh my god I found it, those are for breaking up/catching layers of snow and ice. Now I know why I don't see them much in my area.
https://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/plusys-kenchiku/yukidomespcial.html
http://www.yukidome.jp/column/2017/07/16/snowfastener-3/

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 7, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone ever had a problem with using their phone as their Suica for payment in shops or arcades or whatever? Thinking of switching mine over but it seems like everyone on the subway is still using physical cards, despite way more people in London using phones for their Oyster card which makes me think it might be less reliable.

Edit: speaking of arcades, if there’s a way to use my phone for my Aime card so I can carry two less cards around with me that would be lovely! iPhone XS if that makes a difference, I know older international phones didn’t play nice with Japanese IC cards.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I use Suica on my iphone and it works fine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve used Apple Pay-connected overseas cards to add money to the Suica app (same phone). Not sure about adding the arcade save cards to the phone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

peanut posted:

Do you mean old roofs or new roofs? On new houses, I think they're probably anchors for an eventual installation of solar panels.

EDIT: Oh my god I found it, those are for breaking up/catching layers of snow and ice. Now I know why I don't see them much in my area.
https://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/plusys-kenchiku/yukidomespcial.html
http://www.yukidome.jp/column/2017/07/16/snowfastener-3/

Ah ok thanks. It was driving me crazy. At first I was like, maybe they are footholds for repairs or cleaning the roof, but some places there's only some on the first floor... others it's only on one side, or second floor only. I couldn't get a handle on the reasoning for the placement so I couldn't figure out what they might be.