Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

SCheeseman posted:

I'm the crazy person, not only are my lighthouses mounted on the walls but the wiring runs through the walls and ceiling, with my wireless antenna mounted alongside one of them.
The wireless antenna cord is really short and can't be extended from what I can tell, how did you make it work going through a wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

SCheeseman posted:

I'm the crazy person, not only are my lighthouses mounted on the walls but the wiring runs through the walls and ceiling, with my wireless antenna mounted alongside one of them.

This is probably a code violation.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

The wireless antenna cord is really short and can't be extended from what I can tell, how did you make it work going through a wall?
Luck. The placement of my PC is elevated on a shelf under a stairwell that's positioned in the corner of my home theater room.

Ralith posted:

This is probably a code violation.
Everything I've touched is low voltage, the licensed electrician who did the high voltage stuff seemed to be ok with it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 2, 2019

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm really excited for The Room VR, I loved the first games on iPad, amazingly beautiful intricate puzzles backed up by a vague, over-the-top, mysterious Lovecraftian setting. So happy Fireproof (who also did early VR game Omega Agent) have followed through on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQpCKys5eI

Walking Dead VR - January 2020 - Quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVFH8nmvPxU(trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQOo1AspmS8 (gameplay)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I put 5.1 in my bedroom, so that analogy felt like a personal attack :(

I got a targeted ad for rift users who want to try viveport, 2 month extended trial basically. I think I'm going to give it a shot sight unseen with a virtual card that closes after the trial (unless I decide to keep it) Pretty much everything I own is basically 2 hours or under experience wise. I get that being in VR longer then that starts to become less attractive but it also makes it feel like I'm buying really expensive VR DLC or something instead of an actual library. Rez and tetris effect are up next in my backlog though.

El Grillo posted:

I'm really excited for The Room VR, I loved the first games on iPad, amazingly beautiful intricate puzzles backed up by a vague, over-the-top, mysterious Lovecraftian setting. So happy Fireproof (who also did early VR game Omega Agent) have followed through on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQpCKys5eI

Walking Dead VR - January 2020 - Quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVFH8nmvPxU(trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQOo1AspmS8 (gameplay)

omega agent is my goto gear vr app by far so I'm interested in anything fireproof does in VR...

walking dead seems eh, but having branching dialogue and a faction system might make it decent?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 2, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

It was a targeted attack on myself, the 7.1 and Index haver

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy poo poo, I can't believe there's actually a VR iteration of The Room coming. A wholly new game no less :magical:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
vive infinity is pretty trash, there's 0 way i'd keep this sub..i can only imagine the level of motion sickness i'd endure trying like 90% of these 3 dollar and under shovelware "vr games"

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

I got a targeted ad for rift users who want to try viveport, 2 month extended trial basically. I think I'm going to give it a shot sight unseen with a virtual card that closes after the trial (unless I decide to keep it) Pretty much everything I own is basically 2 hours or under experience wise. I get that being in VR longer then that starts to become less attractive but it also makes it feel like I'm buying really expensive VR DLC or something instead of an actual library. Rez and tetris effect are up next in my backlog though.

Please try my game Home Plate Baseball (in Viveport) if you have any interest.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Stick100 posted:

Please try my game Home Plate Baseball (in Viveport) if you have any interest.

I'll check it out, there's maybe like 10 or 12 things in here thus far that I'm down for, so added to that list. I'll give you feedback when I can.

Is it roomscale? Seated? Locomtion etc etc..Hows being a dev on there?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

I'll check it out, there's maybe like 10 or 12 things in here thus far that I'm down for, so added to that list. I'll give you feedback when I can.

Is it roomscale? Seated? Locomtion etc etc..Hows being a dev on there?

Roomscale, can move slowly using thumb-stick. But it's a stand in still place game. Viveport actually seems like a pretty good deal as a dev.

They take the monthly rate people pay and then divide it by the number of titles some one played. I've had someone who only played my game so I got $8.99. Then HTC keeps 20% (better than the 30% everyone else takes).

It looks likely I'll make more money from Viveport than from Steam. (Granted my purchase price is $5). For low priced games Viveport Infinity seems like a good option for devs. For things priced $39.99 I don't think it probably makes sense to get on Viveport Infinity until at least a year (and various sales) went by.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got omega agent in some humble bundle and for what it is it’s a pretty drat decent game. Jet packing around the buildings is fun as hell, just wish the world was bigger.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Is this supposed to be footage of the quest version? It looks better than what I was expecting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I just got my Quest in today.

Uh, don't get too overexcited to try it and end up doing something really stupid like... stepping on the charging cable and having to go to target to get a replacement usb-c to usb-c cable within the hour.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did this get posted here yet? What do they call this sort of third person camera setup on PCVR games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvCHyUXB5bM

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's virtual motion capture, you need trackers for your feet and probably belt in addition to hmd/controllers, then install an app that does the 3rd person angle like https://store.steampowered.com/app/755540/LIV/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Did this get posted here yet? What do they call this sort of third person camera setup on PCVR games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvCHyUXB5bM

Mixed reality I think? Look in the description, they say what software they used to do it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Truga posted:

It's virtual motion capture, you need trackers for your feet and probably belt in addition to hmd/controllers, then install an app that does the 3rd person angle like https://store.steampowered.com/app/755540/LIV/

Does this have an impact on performance? Just curious. I would figure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, your pc needs to render a second view into your game. It's obviously far less demanding than actualy VR since it can be a 720p30 and be plenty good for youtubs, but it's still an extra thing that needs to be rendered.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oh my god the MK beat saber video from that channel is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBLuk18Ds2o

the little dance as the song screams MORTAL KOMBAT.

Incredible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

It'll definitely be hip tracking too, it's the standard setup for anyone going all-out with Trackers in VR.

Incidentally one of the funniest things you can see in VR is someone with full-body tracking putting down their HMD and controllers before walking out of their playspace. The upper half of their avatar sits in a heap while the lower half takes a walk and streeetches off at the hip.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 3, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
The index's clarity and resolution rate really is incredible.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Leal posted:

I just got my Quest in today.

Uh, don't get too overexcited to try it and end up doing something really stupid like... stepping on the charging cable and having to go to target to get a replacement usb-c to usb-c cable within the hour.

Why not just return it for a replacement? I mean yeah, the break is your fault, but you don't have to tell the store that!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just played my first couple rounds of Echo arena. It's pretty sweet but I'm getting completely stomped right now, it's hard to get used to the movement system and everyone else is fluid. Also when I try to throw the disc like a frisbee it goes way slower than I would expect but I'm sure that's just bad technique on my part since other people throw it pretty fast. It really plays to VRs strength vs pancake, I think if VR really goes mainstream it's going to be with stuff like this. I am really feeling the restriction of the cord though, definitely makes me want to try it on a Quest instead.

Does Echo Combat still have a good player base?

e: wow, good timing, I just saw the news that bots are coming the Echo Arena tomorrow and you can set them to easy. Will definitely use that to get the hang of it.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 3, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just played my first couple rounds of Echo arena. It's pretty sweet but I'm getting completely stomped right now, it's hard to get used to the movement system and everyone else is fluid. Also when I try to throw the disc like a frisbee it goes way slower than I would expect but I'm sure that's just bad technique on my part since other people throw it pretty fast. It really plays to VRs strength vs pancake, I think if VR really goes mainstream it's going to be with stuff like this. I am really feeling the restriction of the cord though, definitely makes me want to try it on a Quest instead.

Does Echo Combat still have a good player base?

e: wow, good timing, I just saw the news that bots are coming the Echo Arena tomorrow and you can set them to easy. Will definitely use that to get the hang of it.

Hell yeah, it's gonna be a super good change. They look great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGAQDAuMNZ4&t=34s

As far as throwing goes, you wanna throw it more like a baseball, most people kind of throw overarm or side arm. It does take a while to get used too, though. It's mostly just practice

There's a decent amount of people still playing Combat, but less than Arena. You usually need to play at prime time to get faster matches (so like 7-9 PM PST usually), but there's still a good amount of people playing. You can try out the skirmish area to get a feel for if you think it'd be worth it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I hope someone put tapping the goal in as an AI animation, because it is such a delightfully dick move :allears:. Seeing the AI just spam at the launcher button was great too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Echo Arena's getting bots? :swoon: :swoon:

Gonna buy another headset for my wife and we'll compstomp frisbee soccer forever!

EXCITED EDIT: THEY ARRIVE TOMORROW?????????!!!

Shine fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 3, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

Echo Arena's getting bots? :swoon: :swoon:

Gonna buy another headset for my wife and we'll compstomp frisbee soccer forever!

EXCITED EDIT: THEY ARRIVE TOMORROW?????????!!!

There's a Quest port coming out sometime later this year and it's gonna have crossplay 👀

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I still think Echo Arena is one of the best multiplayer games released this decade and was criminally overlooked by the mainstream press

I mean not only is it incredibly fun, but like... that game makes me feel "I'm in a different place" more than any other VR game. It feels less like a video game and more like an activity I'm doing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hopefully now that there are bots, more goons will give it a try. Even just playing floaty space frisbee is fun, let alone the actual game. Echo Arena's lobby and practice rooms are the best VR chat environments.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Skyrim VR is on sale for $30. Worth it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Clitch posted:

Skyrim VR is on sale for $30. Worth it?

Its an actual full game, which most VR games are pretty short and light on content. But its a bethesda game, and not originally designed for VR.

I think it works better than Fallout, even though fallout has guns and the pip-boy so it should really work better in vr. Both can probably be improved with mods but I haven't gotten there yet.

Its hard to say "worth it" for someone else. But just walking around in Skyrim seeing everything in 3d perspective is pretty cool. And firing magic blasts out of your hands or shooting arrows feels really good. Melee feels... okay.

The menus are the worst part of it, but I say just put it on like easy difficulty and don't worry too much about micro managing your inventory or stats.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
That's good info. I'll probably pick it up.

Is there anything like Infra in VR to scratch my UrbEx itch?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Skyrim VR is neat, but don't bother if you like to play melee. Its melee combat does not translate well to VR at all, paling in comparison to pretty much any indie melee VR game.

It feels akin to a Wii game, waggling your arms around to replace a button press, versus something like Blade & Sorcery, where your motions with your weapons feel much more real and meaningful. Like, the difference between feeling like "they died because they ran out of hit points" compared to "they died because I shoved a dagger into their eye." The latter feels so much better in VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's quite a few VR-specific Skyrim mods, most of them are useful but the most essential is VRIK which hacks in a first person body that isn't completely terrible. I had speech recognition going for a while, it was really cool and usually worked but extremely painful to set up and maintain.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
In depth Cosmos reviews out.

I just ordered a Rift S...

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Assuming you have no IPD issues I think the Rift S is still the better deal

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I don’t play echo arena much, despite enjoying lone echo, because i am incredibly bad at it. Extremely low coordination and spatial awareness, compared to everyone else playing. It’s odd because i can beat (some) expert plus beat saber songs, but i just can’t seem to get the trick of throwing myself or objects reliably. A comp stomp with bots set to very easy might get me back in, though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah the summary of the Cosmos reviews I've seen so far are basically "Slightly better panel and physical IPD than the Rift S, slightly worse tracking, way too expensive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

And don't forget those controllers. It baffles me they shipped something with the battery efficiency of a game gear in 2019.