Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I thought I was doing pretty good in the Trial of the Sword and then I got to the room with the lizalfos on the piers and got destroyed instantly. Haven't been back since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The one hit thing was a little tough for me since when I first played it, I haven’t played the game for months but it’s not too bad if you’re careful. I recommend giving it another try since the stuff after it is really good.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the one hit part can be cheesed if you have a good supply of arrows

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Difficult combat in botw sounds terrible to me. Just the absolute opposite of what I want from that game. But I mean, I’m glad it exists so that people with different (wrong) preferences can enjoy the Best Game Ever Made, even if it’s for objectively incorrect and morally suspect reasons

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Master mode sword trial suuuuuucks. Master mode in general is also bad. Regenerating health coupled with weapons that break is a bad time

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

The old thread title had the tip that helped me finally beat it: eat all the trees.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

The part where you have to kill the enemy groups without getting hit is hard but cool and rewarding since you can save after every enemy. Still weird to have such a difficulty jump in order to see story content in the kids' game. Trial of the Sword is 100% bullshit as it's just extremely unforgiving Breath of the Wild combat with no checkpoints. What made me ragequit earlier was the new Shrine where you have to get through 4 spike obstacles in one go and if you fail it's a load screen followed by skip cutscene and back to the beginning. I got to the very end in front of the monk and Link just kind of didn't grab the ledge and fell and died.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Wasn't this because his SD card was silently dying?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I liked trial of the sword but there are lots of dumb rooms. It's a shame that once beaten there's no menu to take a level à la carte because there's a few, especially near the end of the last gauntlet, that would be very fun to gently caress around in, but I'm not going through the tough bad ones again to do so.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Rune Factory 4 Bonus preorders are up, and if you play RF4 bonus, there'll be a goodie in RF5 for you. There's a 60 dollar (US) special edition with a music CD, art book and a big ol' box, and the normal 40 dollar version. Hopefully it is out before 2020, but I am really glad the company takes care of its employees.

XSeed is also going to be handling the remake of Friends of Mineral Town/More friends of mineral town, so thankfully there will be an English release.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 3, 2019

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm glad Rune Factory 4 is getting a Switch release but how is this happening exactly? I thought the devs went out of business?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I'm glad Rune Factory 4 is getting a Switch release but how is this happening exactly? I thought the devs went out of business?

They got hired by Marvelous.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Kragger99 posted:

To that Goon who was looking for Deathstate on the Canadian e.store - it's there now.
Plays really well, though some of the text is a bit small on handheld.

Mad late, but that was me. Many thanks!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/dukope/status/1179563067073429505?s=19

F yeah! Can't wait, heard so many great things about this game.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1179613327535808512

And this is why it's a full-priced title. The market will bear it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nobody cares about Europe.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

less laughter posted:

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1179613327535808512

And this is why it's a full-priced title. The market will bear it.

Because Nintendo fans will pay ridiculous prices no questions asked

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's because Link's awakening is amazing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My friend who's a bit of a graphics snob (and is also an incredible artist, so maybe that factors into it) doesn't understand why Nintendo went the way they did with the look of Link's Awakening. I've never played the original, haven't played the remake yet, but I was trying to explain to him that, as far as I can tell, they wanted to keep the spirit of the original game, the same general look and feel. It wasn't meant to be some sort of amazing, realistic remake or anything. He said he didn't understand how they had a game like Skyward Sword, and then seemed to go backwards with LA, in terms of art-style. I mentioned BotW, but he said he doesn't like cel-shading whatsoever.

Keep in mind, he hasn't played any of these, as he doesn't have a Switch, and didn't have a WiiU.

I have to say that, for me, gameplay comes first. I can watch an animated movie or show. What sets games apart from other media is the interactivity and the innovation done through that. Or am I weird for thinking that LA looks totally fine and not bad whatsoever? I also enjoy cel-shading in games :shrug:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its a cute style, probably not for everyone but i appreciate the kooky oddball vibe of it

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Link's Awakening looks like a toy set, and that's precisely how it should look. Even the music is done with scale in mind. It's fantastic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My friend who's a bit of a graphics snob (and is also an incredible artist, so maybe that factors into it) doesn't understand why Nintendo went the way they did with the look of Link's Awakening. I've never played the original, haven't played the remake yet, but I was trying to explain to him that, as far as I can tell, they wanted to keep the spirit of the original game, the same general look and feel. It wasn't meant to be some sort of amazing, realistic remake or anything. He said he didn't understand how they had a game like Skyward Sword, and then seemed to go backwards with LA, in terms of art-style. I mentioned BotW, but he said he doesn't like cel-shading whatsoever.

Keep in mind, he hasn't played any of these, as he doesn't have a Switch, and didn't have a WiiU.

I have to say that, for me, gameplay comes first. I can watch an animated movie or show. What sets games apart from other media is the interactivity and the innovation done through that. Or am I weird for thinking that LA looks totally fine and not bad whatsoever? I also enjoy cel-shading in games :shrug:

Idk, I really feel like the dude should get a switch and see the games in motion because they often look better that way, but also because the Switch has a lot of really cool and fun games that own and $300 is a steal :)

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's gorgeous. Any scene looks like a diorama with little toys you'd get from a capsule machine.
These complaints sorta remind me of the bitching when Windwaker was first shown.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Skyward Sword is the ugliest game in the series on Wii hardware. It'd look pretty nice remastered but it'd still be an awful game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
LA is the best looking game on switch imo. I don’t know how you can “downgrade” an art style, that sounds like the kind of crap people said about wind waker back in the day.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Switch should get this. Or better yet, a sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENOdAlPQmMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4U5rKm-th8

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Your friend is a weirdo with bad taste. LA looks fantastic, so did BOTW but in an entirely different way, and it’s good that Nintendo is trying out different art styles (and usually getting them right) instead of just sticking to one style for the whole series. And cel shading looks good when done right, and Nintendo's done it right with the Zelda series. (Wind Walker looks fantastic, too, is what I’m saying.)

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I agree with Skyward Sword being the high point of the series in terms of pure art style. It's remarkably strong and expressive, even with (and maybe partially because of) the limited geometry. Still, the fact that nearly every installment goes for a different aesthetic is rad.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

nachos posted:

LA is the best looking game on switch imo.

at least till obra dinn comes out

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think LA looks fantastic, but to be honest I don't love the aesthetic as a fit for that game. I'd prefer something cartoony but less toylike. I think it's because, playing the GB game 20+ years ago, the remake doesn't really look like what my mind imagined those sprites to be. Oh well though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, I really feel like the dude should get a switch and see the games in motion because they often look better that way, but also because the Switch has a lot of really cool and fun games that own and $300 is a steal :)

Entirely subjective but the Switch does have a fantastic library.

If only the Joycons weren't garbage ): it would easily have overtaken the PS4 as my preferred system

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Len posted:

Because Nintendo fans will pay ridiculous prices no questions asked

Perhaps there's no magical dollar to hours of entertainment ratio.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The invisible hand of the free market is finger loving us again! :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd quote you all but that would take way too much time. I agree with everything, though. I've sort of known that he has always preferred 'realistic' graphics to another given graphic style, but I asked him if, given the exact same gameplay, would he take a realistic look over an intentionally weird or cartoonish look, and he said realistic, every time. I definitely appreciate the hell out of a nice looking game, but I guess 'nice looking' has a different meaning to me.

Speaking of Wind Waker, he also mentioned that he thinks they're "stepping back into the Wind Waker pool, instead of moving forward, and it feels like a cop-out, when they could make it look so much better." I mentioned how it intentionally looks like you're playing with real toys in sort of like a diorama, which seems to work really well for the game. He said he understood that, graphically, the LA remake is doing a good job, it's HD with all of those effects and all that, but he'd prefer a more realistic look. I don't know, I think a Twilight Princess-looking LA wouldn't work so well. I don't know. It's frustrating talking to him about this kind of thing. But hey, whatever... people gonna complain.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd quote you all but that would take way too much time. I agree with everything, though. I've sort of known that he has always preferred 'realistic' graphics to another given graphic style, but I asked him if, given the exact same gameplay, would he take a realistic look over an intentionally weird or cartoonish look, and he said realistic, every time. I definitely appreciate the hell out of a nice looking game, but I guess 'nice looking' has a different meaning to me.

Speaking of Wind Waker, he also mentioned that he thinks they're "stepping back into the Wind Waker pool, instead of moving forward, and it feels like a cop-out, when they could make it look so much better." I mentioned how it intentionally looks like you're playing with real toys in sort of like a diorama, which seems to work really well for the game. He said he understood that, graphically, the LA remake is doing a good job, it's HD with all of those effects and all that, but he'd prefer a more realistic look. I don't know, I think a Twilight Princess-looking LA wouldn't work so well. I don't know. It's frustrating talking to him about this kind of thing. But hey, whatever... people gonna complain.

Your friend is dumb

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
The thing that throws me about LA is the sound. I remember exactly how everything sounded on the gameboy so like picking up a key sounds weird to me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That friend is talking like the art styles are tiered like Diablo item rarities and Nintendo is intentionally using a blue instead of a yellow. That's a real roundabout way of simply saying they don't like it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Post your friend’s art.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turns out there’s no accounting for taste. If only there was an easy saying to use to remember that :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

What does your friend think of those Unreal engine demos where people drop a fileripped Link model into a forest scene with motion blur turned up 4x and call it 'MATURE REALISTIC HD OCARINA REMAKE MATURE'