Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah, that's the main thrust of the next meeting which is why I'm going to try again.

e: catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

This is that group of paid sign holders and crowd standers the Tories bussed around the country before the brexit vote isn't it.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

That's not unrealistic. As long as there's Tory boot in 10 Libdems will have reasons to go there.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Absolute lol that the Lib Dems are having a fever dream about getting a majority, but they're literally just aiming for the slimmest round figure that would constitute one.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
During their conference, I figured that they were going full-on with the usual rhetoric as a way of trying to get rich donors on board.
If they're now asking for Nigerian prince amounts of money from their own members, we can probably assume that the other part of their plan didn't go so well.

That said, if there are Lib Dem members who give up £100/month so that Chuka can spend the next few months on a cocaine-and-poppers fuelled bender campaign around the country, that's just beautiful.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's the lib dem manifesto like? Has anyone seen it?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What's the lib dem manifesto like? Has anyone seen it?

www.libdems.org.uk/manifesto

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:golfclap:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

E; ^^^ lmao

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just my big brained take, but I think ironically throwing in with Corbyn as caretaker PM, showing a united anti-Tory front, going hard after Tory marginals and ending up in opposition against a Labour government (or in a Lib/Lab coalition after showing it can be done with the caretaker arrangement) and building from there is about the only way the pissbirds could exit this mess with any kind of credibility.

Unfortunately they've been huffing their own farts polling wise and are now deluding themselves that (a) nobody really wants Corbyn and (b) that they have any kind of chance at a majority.

I agree with this pretty much fully. If I were them - and thank God I am not - the game I would play would be

A) Support Corbyn as interim PM so we can get No Deal completely off the table. No fannying about, explicitly take marching orders on the plan for this from Jezza. Would do wonders for the appearance of actually opposing brexit and putting country before party.

B) Form an electoral pact going into the General to help make sure non-brexiteers win in any relevant marginals.

C) Domestic issues as normal, but message discipline on Brexit that supports the overall plan until after the election.

D) Once we get to 2ref then campaign for remain, but for Christ's sake, say you'll accept the referendum result rather than insisting you'll revoke no matter what.

E) Use this record of cooperation and trustworthiness to start rehabilitating the party's image from the coalition and maybe actually be able to make real gains in another election or two.

But of course, a strategy like that would involve something other than being a piss coloured tory, and oppositing Corbyn more than Brexit. Also having some courage. I suppose if they are looking at the polling they will be thinking they are doing well with their current plans, but I reckon it'll be a massive house of cards.

And anyway as has been repeatedly observed ITT, an election before brexit means that Joris and the tories are in total disarray, whilst one after brexit means it's not an issue anymore.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

mehall posted:

Absolute lol that the Lib Dems are having a fever dream about getting a majority, but they're literally just aiming for the slimmest round figure that would constitute one.

They know they can't. They'll only be working about eighty seats max. It's all just rhetoric to suck folk in. Also see 'Cleggmania'.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

That plan sounds way too complicated. They should just make an agreement with Boris to allow no-deal brexit in exchange for an increase in tuition fees

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I have a sudden feeling of dread about this rebranding of May's deal - I think all of the hype about no-deal might just be enough to make enough melts in Parliament flip to get it through, and the EU haven't immediately said "gently caress off".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would that necessarily be the worst outcome? It's a poo poo arrangement that everyone hates but as far as I can remember it doesn't immediately kill everyone and it takes the issue off the table while loving the tories?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The lib dems/swinson not only actually believe they can do a macron, they think that's a good thing.

Or they are trying to grab funding with the same cynical trick they use in all their literature of claiming an impossible thing to be possible

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1179655141487710210

thread as it were

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Would that necessarily be the worst outcome? It's a poo poo arrangement that everyone hates but as far as I can remember it doesn't immediately kill everyone and it takes the issue off the table while loving the tories?

It's also still a transitional arrangement which means a banging VONC which makes Corbyn PM means no Tory Brexit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Also it means Farage would absolutely be going into a GE calling Johnson a betraying little poo poo and we do enjoy the rightwing vote being split.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Like I say I don't think it does gently caress them - Johnson gets to pretend like he's "Got Brexit done" and all his mates in the press back him up. The vast majority of voters will go along with that story, IMO.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Also it means Farage would absolutely be going into a GE calling Johnson a betraying little poo poo and we do enjoy the rightwing vote being split.
Why would there be a GE any time soon?

Once Brexit in some form happens, the Tories are going to rally around the tory flag again. If there is an election, it probably won't be until they do some shady boundary reforms to make sure they win (they were going to've done this already but it got put back).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

It would break Boris’ perfect streak of failure as PM, he’d spend the rest of his life crowing that he passed the one vote that mattered

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tarnop posted:

I'm going to try to go to our next local canvassing meeting, but last time I tried I had a panic attack at my own front door and blacked out so who knows

Makes me feel like poo poo that I can't get out there and help

Priority #1 is taking care of yourself. If you can't get to a meeting because you need to deal with your own poo poo then that is the most important activism you can do.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Once Brexit in some form happens, the Tories are going to rally around the tory flag again. If there is an election, it probably won't be until they do some shady boundary reforms to make sure they win (they were going to've done this already but it got put back).

I don't think the boundary reforms will happen this parliament. It fucks over Labour more but some tories would vote against it because they'd lose their seats too. Party before country, self before party.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pilchenstein posted:

Bloody southerner :v:

Top door knocking advice for people who'd like to campaign for Labour but don't like talking to strangers: learn how to do the clipboard - you basically just tell everyone which doors to knock and track what the outcomes were but every canvassing group needs someone who can manage the paperwork.

Life has moved on... there is now the Doorstep "App" (it's not really an App, it's a web page). We have had a couple of training sessions on it in my CLP. Those who canvas (I don't, I have other roles) have used it and have got the hang of it now.

Tarnop posted:

I'm going to try to go to our next local canvassing meeting, but last time I tried I had a panic attack at my own front door and blacked out so who knows

Makes me feel like poo poo that I can't get out there and help

There are other ways of helping. Does your CLP have a facebook wrangler for example? And even rarer - someone who knows how to work snapchat or instagram for da yoof!

Or, as Owl says, leafleting (though take a long ruler to push leaflets through letterboxes without getting your fingers trapped).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 3, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There was talk of boundary reforms during May's premiereship and they were scrapped without much hassle. It's not the kind of thing you can push through when you've got a weak majority.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Any more details about the Glasgow goonmeet?

It's Saturday, right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

a weak majority
Conservative - 288
Labour - 246
Independent - 35
Scottish National Party - 35
Liberal Democrat - 18
Democratic Unionist Party - 10
Sinn Féin - 7
The Independent Group for Change Group United Kingdom - 5
Plaid Cymru - 4
Green Party - 1
Speaker - 1
Total number of seats - 650
Working Government Majority - 0

lm ao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

It would break Boris’ perfect streak of failure as PM, he’d spend the rest of his life crowing that he passed the one vote that mattered

All the people that like Boris (I.e. hard brexiteers) will hate him for passing a deal that'll get branded by Farage etc. as a Fake Brexit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And I don't think he's gonna get the people he fired back, he pissed them off too much.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

I was talking about May's majority but yes, also this

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've emailed my CLP campaign organiser to see if there's anything else I can do, cheers all

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Big lols if there's a silver lining to having more frothing, rabid maniacs in favour of hard Brexit compared to remain.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

May's deal is the backstop with temporary EEA, customs union & single market while we negotiate new trade deals individually. So essentially it's no deal with an interrim period.

This lasts until 31st Dec 2020, at which point we can either extend the interrim ONCE or we leave completely. So essentially Liz Truss spends a year banging on about pork markets, de Pfeffel de Pfaffs about and does nothing until the new deadline and then immediately sells the nhs and goes turbo austerity.

Not only are we still subject to most of the laws of the EU after morons think we've 'left' (so right wing brexit betrayal violence Nige can capitalise on), sectarian violence in NI also explodes and hilariously, it doesn't even solve the tax dodging issue behind Rees-Mogg et al going hard on Brexit, so all of the companies still leave and the country is too hosed for them to return by the time Joris sets up his tax havens & free ports.

It wouldn't gently caress the Tories at all because they get to pretend they fixed brexit, it bolsters the party's right wing, soft leavers are happy, remainers fall in line because it's 'over.' Lib Dems either immediately forget about hard remain (or possibly keep the shitshow rolling by campaigning to rejoin the EU). Jeremy Corbyn is gulaged for being Stalinist and the entire thread dies of Irony™, or the 4th dimensional hyper syphilis Ms Adequate infected us all with at the final goonmeet.

It's the stupidest possible outcome, so prepare your body.

Guavanaut posted:

Have I got this wrong, or does this mean 320 isn't even a majority?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 3, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

All the people that like Boris (I.e. hard brexiteers) will hate him for passing a deal that'll get branded by Farage etc. as a Fake Brexit

Anything Boris passes will be labeled as Fake Brexit by Farage because that's his entire election and political strategy. He'll just shift the goalposts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

Anything Boris passes will be labeled as Fake Brexit by Farage because that's his entire election and political strategy. He'll just shift the goalposts.
Johnson: Let's leave with no deal on WTO rules.
Farage: The WTO is a globalist EU scam, let's leave the WTO without a deal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sinn fein don't sit, speaker doesn't vote.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sinn Féin don’t take their seats so they’re discounted.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sinn Fein don't sit and speakers don't vote, the number is normally somewhere around 317

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Sinn fein don't sit, speaker doesn't vote.
It'd be funny if, like the speaker, they still turned up to shout at people.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have a sudden feeling of dread about this rebranding of May's deal - I think all of the hype about no-deal might just be enough to make enough melts in Parliament flip to get it through, and the EU haven't immediately said "gently caress off".

it does feel like something's up, they keep doing this "we will not ask for an extension" and "yes of course we will act in accordance with the law :agesilaus:" which makes them seem like some smartass kid who's thought of some technicality to get out of doing their homework tonight. Like it doesn't just come across like bluffing until he's forced to get the extension, they're extremely bad at that kind of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

They've also been solid on the "if you want to avoid No Deal then vote for a deal!" line since Johnson got in. Excited for them to try to blame Labour for causing No Deal.