Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

baka kaba posted:

it does feel like something's up, they keep doing this "we will not ask for an extension" and "yes of course we will act in accordance with the law :agesilaus:"

When they say this they're talking about a different law, like the one where you can't sell alcohol before 11am or something. So they're technically not lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*Michael Gove stumbles in with a coffee cup that is just brandy*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

excited to see Boris Johnson try out the maritime law bit, and you just know he owns an admiral's hat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Queen Elizabeth II enters the room. She is also a boat.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

How can she be a boat and a mace at the same time?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She's a Sovereign Citizen.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Let's not forget that every time in the last month we thought the Tories had a cunning plan, 24 hours later we were laughing at what a dipshit Dom Cummies is

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tarnop posted:

Let's not forget that every time in the last month we thought the Tories had a cunning plan, 24 hours later we were laughing at what a dipshit Dom Cummies is

Current cunning plan - get a GE by failing to get a Queens Speech?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guavanaut posted:

I agree. Joris Bohnson should be keel-hauled by the HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ That's precisely the plan. Fail to pass a Queen's Speech, upon which Boris says "oh dear, that means I'm not PM so I don't have to go to Brussels". Then he sits back and waits for two weeks while Jo Swinson causes No Deal Brexit by refusing to back Corbyn.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just my big brained take, but I think ironically throwing in with Corbyn as caretaker PM, showing a united anti-Tory front, going hard after Tory marginals and ending up in opposition against a Labour government (or in a Lib/Lab coalition after showing it can be done with the caretaker arrangement) and building from there is about the only way the pissbirds could exit this mess with any kind of credibility.

If we get a genuine left wing Labour government then the Lib Dems die a little more with every problem that gets addressed. This is the challenge faced by every minor centrist party: if the big boys can get what you want to do done, then minor parties in a coalition exist only to enable them. And if a party is just an enabler, why should voters not cut out the middleman and vote for the party that will actually do what they want?

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 3, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A shame they don't have the catapults to accelerate the keel hauling process.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jedit posted:

^^^ That's precisely the plan. Fail to pass a Queen's Speech, upon which Boris says "oh dear, that means I'm not PM so I don't have to go to Brussels". Then he sits back and waits for two weeks while Jo Swinson causes No Deal Brexit by refusing to back Corbyn.

No, I mean he should be literally keelhauled under the largest ship in the RN.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mehall posted:

Sinn Fein don't sit and speakers don't vote, the number is normally somewhere around 317
Presumably the extra 3 are a buffer incase Chuka realises he is in a party he isn't leader of.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Like I say I don't think it does gently caress them - Johnson gets to pretend like he's "Got Brexit done" and all his mates in the press back him up. The vast majority of voters will go along with that story, IMO.

This might be a volcanic take but honestly I think if he somehow gets it passed by both the EU and parliament (is the second step required?) then it hurts his chances.

Boris has to call an election immediately, he has no working majority. Even if the expelled Tories are readmitted, a good chunk either wont rejoin or have already joined another party.

Boris will get an initial boost for 'delivering Brexit' as he said he would but once the party ends the hangover will kick in for the average Brexit voter that their life is still hosed and their grandkids still don't respect them etc.

The Lib Dems will have completely hosed themselves into being the party of 'rejoin' which is like who the gently caress wants that hassle after the last three years.

Labour gets to actually fight the election we want to fight about austerity and living conditions and actually have a shot at winning. Honestly, if we go into this election with Brexit still up in the air I'm not hopeful at all.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

A shame they don't have the catapults to accelerate the keel hauling process.
This sent me on little journey to Wikipedia, apparently the naval cat o' nine tails had a smaller version used on younger sailors, called the "boy's pussy"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Miftan posted:

How can she be a boat and a mace at the same time?

Brenda is the oldest-known Transformer. No wonder she hangs out with Anthony Hopkins.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CGI Stardust posted:

This sent me on little journey to Wikipedia, apparently the naval cat o' nine tails had a smaller version used on younger sailors, called the "boy's pussy"

Aaand I just snorted irn bru through my nose thanks.

For anyone else who doesn't know, keel hauling isn't just an expression, it's where you tie a rope to someone and chuck them over the side of the boat, then use the rope to drag them under it and up the other side, usually fatally because they either drown, get smashed into the ship, or cut to poo poo on all the barnacles growing on the keel.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 3, 2019

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

baka kaba posted:

it does feel like something's up, they keep doing this "we will not ask for an extension" and "yes of course we will act in accordance with the law :agesilaus:" which makes them seem like some smartass kid who's thought of some technicality to get out of doing their homework tonight. Like it doesn't just come across like bluffing until he's forced to get the extension, they're extremely bad at that kind of thing

I think the ERG lot only voted down May's deal at the urging of Boris's faction that they could get an even better deal if they tried again.

Boris knew that May would completely steal his thunder if she succeeded in delivering what he started. Now we are where we are it's dawning on the lot of them that the wind is changing directions and they better settle for what they can while they can.

That said I'm still not sure he has the numbers now, so it may be some sort of I don't need to offer an extension if I have reached a deal with the EU but parliament hasn't ratified it type ruse; is that ruled out by the Benn act?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

The Royal Navy is all about tradition.

(i almost am)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Junior G-man posted:

Brenda is the oldest-known Transformer. No wonder she hangs out with Anthony Hopkins.

Well she needs more grounding imo

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Jessflaps just managed to get about something other than herself. Indeed she celebrated Diane Abbott taking PMQs yesterday.

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1179627602320994304?s=19

Guess she's decided this is better optics than lying about telling her to gently caress off.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
From that tweet... holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/AlanOatey/status/1179666815145926656

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was reading an article the other day about sociopaths and how the absolute worst thing in the world to them is to be bored. For the most part, they don't weigh other people's safety or feelings into the equation of whether to do something or not.

I read that and I immediately thought about Boris. We've all assumed that he's frantic because he's at the end of his tether. But it's possible that he's just in his element. The stakes couldn't be higher and every new step brings new chaos and new challenges. It's entirely possible that this is exactly the kind of excitement an unfit adrenaline junkie would crave.

I think we've been looking at this wrong in that we can't imagine how exhausting it would be to wake up and have to deal with everything he has to. But to Boris, it's stimulation. It's something to do. The more hosed up things get, the more alive he feels.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has he considered yahtzee instead?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

(i almost am)

Clear why the Tories love it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Red Oktober posted:

:vince:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

lol

BAE's new reactive armour looking good.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

So this is what Epstein paid all those scientists for.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was reading an article the other day about sociopaths and how the absolute worst thing in the world to them is to be bored. For the most part, they don't weigh other people's safety or feelings into the equation of whether to do something or not.

I read that and I immediately thought about Boris. We've all assumed that he's frantic because he's at the end of his tether. But it's possible that he's just in his element. The stakes couldn't be higher and every new step brings new chaos and new challenges. It's entirely possible that this is exactly the kind of excitement an unfit adrenaline junkie would crave.

I think we've been looking at this wrong in that we can't imagine how exhausting it would be to wake up and have to deal with everything he has to. But to Boris, it's stimulation. It's something to do. The more hosed up things get, the more alive he feels.

We know from previous times he had to do "work" that he usually fucks things up and handles failure awkwardly. He doesn't exactly blame himself, reflect, or learn, he just goes off to sulk.

All he's good at is playing a room and fast talking, and even then he's been running the same material since his primary school days.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I dunno, he looks pretty beaten down a lot of the time, sometimes on the front bench he looks like he's trying to disappear behind the cushions. He's risen to the highest position in the british establishment, basically what he was prepared for from birth, and he's bad at it and it's nowhere near as easy as he'd assumed. He definitely gets fired up sometimes, but he seems completely out of control when he does it, just wildly ranting. But yeah he probably does enjoy the whole thing, it's just a game in the end, he just thought he'd be better at it

As far as thinking about the consequences for other people, reminds me of this George Monbiot article

quote:

But the damage goes far beyond this skimming. British private schools create a class culture of a kind unknown in the rest of Europe. The extreme case is the boarding prep schools, which separate children from their parents at the age of eight in order to shape them into members of a detached elite. In his book The Making of Them the psychotherapist Nick Duffell shows how these artificial orphans survive the loss of their families by dissociating themselves from their feelings of love(14). Survival involves “an extreme hardening of normal human softness, a severe cutting off from emotions and sensitivity.”(15) Unable to attach themselves to people (intimate relationships with other children are discouraged by a morbid fear of homosexuality), they are encouraged instead to invest their natural loyalties in the institution.

This made them extremely effective colonial servants: if their commander ordered it, they could organise a massacre without a moment’s hesitation (witness the detachment of the officers who oversaw the suppression of the Mau Mau, quoted in Caroline Elkins’s book, Britain’s Gulag(16)). It also meant that the lower orders at home could be put down without the least concern for the results. For many years, Britain has been governed by damaged people.

I went through this system myself, and I know I will spend the rest of my life fighting its effects. But one of the useful skills it has given me is an ability to recognise it in others. I can spot another early boarder at 200 metres: you can see and smell the damage dripping from them like sweat. The Conservative cabinets were stuffed with them: even in John Major’s “classless” government, 16 of the 20 male members of the 1993 cabinet had been to public school; 12 of them had boarded(17). Privately-educated people dominate politics, the civil service, the judiciary, the armed forces, the City, the media, the arts, academia, the most prestigious professions, even, as we have seen, the Charity Commission. They recognise each other, fear the unshaped people of the state system, and, often without being aware that they are doing it, pass on their privileges to people like themselves.

there's always gonna be some detachment at that level because of the scale you're working on, but these people are conditioned to not care at all. it's just beep boop what's the winning move

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How was Abbots PMQs? Havent had chance to watch it yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I couldn't sit through it because I'm allergic to tories but she did her bit well in the part I caught.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The high court just hosed a lot of women over but as they're boomers I'm sure they won't vote against the tories for making the change

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1179690246612619269

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

(i almost am)

Where's the rum?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The chair of my union branch has been fired by his studio for the flimsiest of 'definitely not related to his union activism, honest!!' reasons. So we're making some noise about it.

https://twitter.com/IWGBunion/status/1179653303661207553

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cuntiness of the term 'glutinous emollience' aside, does he really think Labour MPs are going to fall for it if he softens his tone once he suddenly wants something from them?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

floofyscorp posted:

The chair of my union branch has been fired by his studio for the flimsiest of 'definitely not related to his union activism, honest!!' reasons. So we're making some noise about it.

https://twitter.com/IWGBunion/status/1179653303661207553

Good on ya.

Also lol the woman in the white top looks like she has antlers due to the hands behind her.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ yeah nice, seems kinda brazen they'd do that to a prominent member so I guess you gotta show them you have teeth huh

Flipswitch posted:

How was Abbots PMQs? Havent had chance to watch it yet.

She was fine, her questions were pretty short so she didn't get a lot of time in, and it made it a bit easier for Raab (who was really rushing and stumbling sometimes) to give a quick response and then switch over to going "btw Labour bad on this other thing". She was decent at thinking on her feet responding to this random stuff, like Corbs isn't always too snappy with the comebacks, but I wish she'd used the platform a bit more. She tied all her questions together as a theme though, about how the government is failing women, so it was decent, I just wish she'd kicked his rear end more because he got off pretty lightly

she stood up at the end though and Bercow said "I think you've had all your questions" which made the Tories go AHHHHHHHHHH so I bet people are all HAHA CAN'T COUNT LMAO. Raab stood up during her first q and she had to sit down so I wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose to throw her off. also some shameless attempts to tie the tories to Diane's legacy as the first black woman MP, not sure if he dared make eye contact during that though

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1179652776739180544