Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Vlex posted:

There are layers of hosed up here.

Maybe you should enunciate them because your post could be construed as victim-blaming Olivia Wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Warthur posted:

Maybe you should enunciate them because your post could be construed as victim-blaming Olivia Wood.

Good idea.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Vlex posted:

Now, consider the type of person attracted to that type of person.

edit: this post refers to Lottie stanning for her abuser fiancé/business partner, not Olivia Wood.
I consider Lottie Bevan to be one of the victims who were manipulated, used and ultimately hurt by AK, and I hope that she will figure that out sooner rather than later.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The things that have clearly come across are that AK is a bully as a boss, a horrible ex who can turn cold and awful as soon as the relationship is over and he’s not interested in you any more, and a serial womaniser. Also that he doesn’t consider himself bound by the rules on appropriate behaviour at work (this is separate from actually being a bully; it’s that you are supposed to avoid things that even give the appearance of impropriety because it can really gently caress up a workplace when the boss doesn’t think rules apply to him).

Combined, those are bad enough things to suggest that he really shouldn’t be in a position of power over *anyone*, and doubly so for young women. They are also perfectly good reasons to decide you don’t like someone.

What has not yet been established, although it may yet be as more information comes out, is that he abused his position to have intimate relations with women who didn’t want to have one, or tried to. That’s the explosive, potentially career-ending #boycott possibility even if it falls short of criminal behaviour.

Going on prior cases, it would not be surprising to find out that he did, but that hasn’t happened yet I don’t think.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

What has not yet been established, although it may yet be as more information comes out, is that he abused his position to have intimate relations with women who didn’t want to have one, or tried to. That’s the explosive, potentially career-ending #boycott possibility even if it falls short of criminal behaviour.

Going on prior cases, it would not be surprising to find out that he did, but that hasn’t happened yet I don’t think.
Given all the talks of whisper networks failing newcomers to the industry, I suspect the accusers care more about what their peers think than consumers:

https://twitter.com/AdvXConf/status/1167713998260883456

https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/1175094758823186437

Which isn't to say this issue isn't relevant to consumers, I just think they're more interested in proving AK is not safe to work with and a danger to an inclusive industry, not that consumers should boycott his work. Making the latter case is too subjective, anyway.

Serially dating your direct reports and then emotionally abusing them in the workplace (usually women new to the industry who are 10-20 years younger than yourself) might not be scandalous or relevant to every gamer but it's abhorrent to game companies, indie professionals, and event organizers.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 24, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

It’s abhorrent to most people I would think.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also I tried to play CS the other day and it’s not that good. Fallen London and House of Many Doors are much better.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Bogart posted:

Also I tried to play CS the other day and it’s not that good. Fallen London and House of Many Doors are much better.

Was house of many doors ever updated post release? I had some issues with saves bugging and losing progress, which is the kiss of death for this kind of game.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

frest posted:

Was house of many doors ever updated post release? I had some issues with saves bugging and losing progress, which is the kiss of death for this kind of game.

There was literally a bug where it would delete other folders in "my documents" so it wiped out a couple of my other games saves when it decided to gently caress up.

Man I don't care how cool your story is but come on.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

frest posted:

No it wasn't and yes it's an exceptionally buggy game. And honestly leans in too hard on the Artsy/Pretentious side in my opinion. Any game that uses one of the endings to render itself permanently unplayable has to really loving earn it and this definitely didn't

Just play Sunless Skies instead if you want to scratch that itch without Kennedy being involved.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bogart posted:

hmm. i was kind of on the fence about the coercive abuser, but, well, if the game's no good...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

hmm. i was kind of on the fence about the coercive abuser, but, well, if the game's no good...

:hmmyes:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the game is now available in chinese and russian and is 40% off on steam, but probably still don't buy it, imo

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Stroth posted:

Any game that uses one of the endings to render itself permanently unplayable has to really loving earn it and this definitely didn't

Please explain in more detail, because that sounds extremely lovely.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kaethela posted:

Please explain in more detail, because that sounds extremely lovely.

There’s an ending where You destroy the House because it’s a multidimensional parasite that exists to steal things from other worlds and occasionally destroy entire universes and doing so deleted your saves, locks the main menu, and corrupts the game files.

To be fair: it does explicitly warn you before you start that quest line but still, it doesn’t earn it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Presumably you can still reinstall though, right?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah, it adds a file that you need to go find and delete. An uninstall doesn't get rid of it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
dokidoki cultism club

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Just Saliba

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
It's probably worth pointing out House of Many Doors was made by a solo dev, not Kennedy.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
TIL you can auction off influences you find in the mansus for money :O

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Mr. Pool posted:

TIL you can auction off influences you find in the mansus for money :O

Wait, what?

You sure you don’t mean artifacts? I know you can hock tangible poo poo like Iotic essence, but you can sell things like “a wintery breeze”?

Dalaram fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 6, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah you absolutely cannot auction influences. ingredients, maybe

you can also for some reason study the level 2 winter influence with contentment, and for some reason the game thinks you're studying lantern influences and fucks up and upgrades both your influences, which coincidentally gives you just the right influences to combine for a level 10 heart one to banish any curses you might have. so that's something

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Yeah you're right it was an iotic essence, but it auctioned for 28 funds so it still makes dream ->spider door -> RNG for iotic essence a pretty good money route

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
also another cheese you can do is talk to Sulochana about any card, and it will freeze its timer for 60s . Useful when I want to keep a glimmering/erudition around while I'm combining lores (and probably other stuff too)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
You can pause the game, pick up a card, leave it stuck to your cursor, and unpause the game if you want another card taken out of play.

Like, say, a corpse, or some evidence when there's an investigator running around.

You can then pause the game, put it down, interact with something else, and pick up the evidence/corpse again before unpausing the game.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Is there any reason to keep tools around once you can a tool of the same color but a higher level? (esp if you're not using the rite that uses up tools)

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Mr. Pool posted:

Is there any reason to keep tools around once you can a tool of the same color but a higher level? (esp if you're not using the rite that uses up tools)

Not really, but I can’t help myself but collect one of each artifact, lore, essence, and paint of each lore type...

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
yeah I'll prob keep the ones that just seem cool

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Ope

Just realized you can give (1) tool to a follower for a perm stat boost of tools power / 4. This is my "new mechanic I didn't know about after dozens of hours" of the day

Mr. Pool fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 8, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It seems to have gone unremarked upon here so far, but Lottie put out a newsletter saying Book of Hours is on hold and they're going back to work on Cultist Simulator now, then working on an unannounced experimental game, then putting out a smaller version of Book of Hours down the line. She threw in some bullshit about being disappointed in people and the internet too, so the plan is still to be defensive instead of acknowledging that there may have been any reason for anyone to be upset.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm having trouble finding a source for some of these late-game languages, like Fucine. And then I learned one from Deep Crucible; are all of the end-game languages learned from summoned minions, or are there other ways?

Also, I let my investigator job go away, so now I have a Name in the Making who I don't know what to do with. Minions don't seem to want to kill him, even particularly bloodthirsty summons. How do I get rid of this annoying person?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
All the advanced languages can be learnt from either books or NPCs, but the books are only found on higher-level expeditions.

The exception is Vak which is learnt by visiting the Peacock Door, sometimes (although I think I remember seeing a book for it too).

The Name in the Making - you can try to win before he does, or you may be able to befriend him eventually, although I can't remember what the prerequisites are for that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

high level expeditions, higher than you can reasonably dream up, will give all languages, in time. there are 'books' for all, and conversely tutors for all. if you consider a door a tutor.

rivals need recruiting the same way you recruit other people. but they need a LOT of convincing aspect

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Am I being a prude here, or is it really weird to do a romance-themed thing in your newsletter mere months after you've been #metoo'd?

I mean, I appreciate that it's February so an apt time for such content. But given that a) most relationships in Cultist Simulator are abusive in some fashion, b) the revelations about Alexis were more or less directly stated to be the tip of the iceberg, and c) the information we did get at the very least established that the circumstances of Alexis and Lottie getting together (and thus the very existence of Weather Factory) were pretty drat dodgy, I kind of feel like that at the best this is clumsily tempting fate, at worst it's a deliberate provocation.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I think the signs point to “deliberate provocation”. It looks like he and Lottie have circled the proverbial wagons. If anyone’s looking for karmic reassurance, it does seem like the whole thing has permanently killed his brand in the west (IIRC they had a blog post noting that Chinese consumers kept them afloat after this all became public).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Warthur posted:

Am I being a prude here, or is it really weird to do a romance-themed thing in your newsletter mere months after you've been #metoo'd?

I mean, I appreciate that it's February so an apt time for such content. But given that a) most relationships in Cultist Simulator are abusive in some fashion, b) the revelations about Alexis were more or less directly stated to be the tip of the iceberg, and c) the information we did get at the very least established that the circumstances of Alexis and Lottie getting together (and thus the very existence of Weather Factory) were pretty drat dodgy, I kind of feel like that at the best this is clumsily tempting fate, at worst it's a deliberate provocation.

i dunno, its basically the same promo material anyone else would do

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Verviticus posted:

i dunno, its basically the same promo material anyone else would do

They’re not anyone else though

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I mean, if this made sense at all in the context of the game I could sorta understand it, even if I would think it's in bad taste. But given that it doesn't it really feels like they're just deliberately trying to gently caress with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean their stance is the accusations were a smear campaign by larger corporations trying to ruin their business. So.