Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’d call it horror for sure. It’s got some pretty goddamn heavy body-horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

#4. The Seventh Victim (1943)
dir. Mark Robson
Viewed on Criterion Channel (first viewing)

A young woman searches for her missing sister who, unknown to her, has become involved with a mysterious group in Greenwich Village.

This was a decent, Hitchcockian mystery with a unique kind of dark streak. There are some really nice suspense segments, like the death of the private investigator and the subsequent scene where his body reappears. And the cult aspect, while not as overt as something like "The Devil Rides Out", is sinister in an interesting way, where they seem unable to do outright harm, so they try to convince you to do the work for them. It's refreshing for the time period to feature a character so bluntly depressed and suicidal who isn't a caricature of hysterics, who is a bit of a proto-goth that seems more authentically 'dark' than the devil worshipers (whose beliefs and practices go almost unmentioned in the film). The big downside to the movie is some infelicities of writing, where characters will appear, leave, and reappear a minute later in a different location to relay the same information, and some straight bullshit romantic subplot out of nowhere. Women falling in love with dudes they just met and barely interact with regarding anything outside the immediacy of the plot is nothing new, but it felt even more shallow here, considering how it contrasts with the seriousness of the films message about another, unspoken love. Mysteries are presented and then discarded or rendered moot in a matter of minutes, so the tension in the movie is sporadic and it starts to sag in the middle, which is unfortunate for a film that only runs 70 minutes. Still, there's good stuff here.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Watched: 1. The Black Room (2017), 2. Excision (2012), 3. Freaks (1932), 4.The Seventh Victim

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
5.) Candyman

1992, rewatch, Netflix

Did Daniel Robitaille ever truly exist in the world of Candyman? Would it even matter?

A story about stories. For near about half of the runtime, the experience of the Candyman is mediated. People have heard about him from a roommate's boyfriend, a cousin's neighbor. At removes. As time goes on, Helen gets closer and closer - a colleague's research, a victim's neighbor, an imitator - until she arrives at the real deal. Each layer gets more intimate - from ghost story to newspaper article to interviews to participation - as the world of Helen's study becomes less an imagined land of academic abstraction and more a place of flesh and blood.

Candyman's got a tremendous, creepy atmosphere. It's an ominous feeling that I associate with Barker's influence - the creeping sensation that there are things just beneath the surface, felt but not acknowledged, just waiting to boil over. Not just within the setting, I guess, but inside people as well - I'll be returning to Nightbreed and Lord of Illusions later this month, where that's far more explicit. We get the combination of awe and repulsion for this submerged, raw place in Helen's mesmerized response to the Candyman, including a shot which echoes the hypnotic effect of Lugosi's Dracula.

My partner and I got pretty far into talking about the great physical space of Candyman, with its shots of underpasses, dingy bathrooms, and abandoned lots. There's an undercurrent of how people claim and reclaim space (Darthemed reminded me that I was going to pair this with People Under The Stairs at one point.) Not just with tags and street art, but with the thin coat of paint that separates Helen's condo from its sister building (and eventually the new one which tries to annihilate Helen's existence in her own home.)

Come with me, and be immortal.

Watched: 1.) Cabinet of Dr. Caligari [Classics], 2.) Occult [J- and K-horror], 3.) Son of Frankenstein [Threequels, Samhain Challenge #1], 4.) Game Over [India] 5.) Candyman [Clive Barker]

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

2 of 31: Prometheus

Purchased: Amazon. Explicitly for this challenge. This was my wife's pick. She loves this movie.

Status: Brand fuckin new. The Ultraviolet digital code expired in 2014 though.

Prometheus started out slow, and let me take in all that good Alien universe design. The sets are fantastic. They're not the retro-futurist workmanlike environs of Alien, but I can still respect the choices made here. The movie itself is pretty neat. I'm not an Alien purist or anything and I thought the movie did well by the franchise. Some gnarly body horror, and probably my new favorite Michael Fassbender performance. My wife says that Alien: Covenant is a direct sequel, so I went ahead and ordered it on Amazon. Overall, a good sci-fi horror movie. Also just a beautifully shot movie, except the POV helmet bits, which are few and far between.

4 "JUST RUN TO THE SIDES!" Out of 5

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 4, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
2. Chopping Mall

This was a hoot and a half. Some teens spending the night in a shopping mall run afoul of security robots gone haywire. The movie doesn't spend long on the preliminaries, and once the robot rampage starts, it's pretty much mayhem from there to the end. It's as much a sci-fi action thriller as anything else, with lots of guns (courtesy a sporting goods store named Peckinpah) and explosions and laser beams and just total chaos. It's mostly goofy and dumb, but still just tense enough that you wanna see how it ends.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

5. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017)
Netflix

Sooooooooooo much fun with great set, make-up, costume, and sound design innaddition to excellent acting and amazing visuals . Go watch this batshit Basque folk fantasy of deals with demons and contests for souls. Do it. Doi it do it do it! I need to track down a Blu-ray. Also need to show it to friends and my kids.

Oh, listen in the original Basque with subtitles. The subs have a few minor errors and flash by quickly but the original acting is excellent and story easy to follow. The English dub is not worth your time.

Rather than describe the plot, listen to this Finnish folk tune for a similar taste:

https://youtu.be/rZPK74xw-MA

Watched - 1. Get My Gun (2017), 2. The Last Man on Earth (1964), 3. It Stains the Sands Red (2016), 4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), 5. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017)

Decade - 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s (I), 1970s(I), 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s (III)

Black & White:Color - 1:4

By Country - 'Murica (IV), Spain (I)

New:Rewatch - 4:1

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 3, 2019

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

#3: The Wailing -This was really good. It's pretty long at 2:36, but never really felt like that, as new layers kept on being added (I could see the middle being a bit slow on rewatch though). The ending third was amazing, I loved how the two forces interacted. They'd would never directly physically engage (aside from the hand grabbing), called the other side liars, and the movie left it ambiguous as to which side was which.. Great ambience, great storyline, great acting, had a few fun moments (though absolutely not a fun movie overall), definitely worth checking out.
:spooky: 4 / 5

1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing

Lhet fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 3, 2019

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

5. Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988) - Some of the transitions were a little rough, like the scene ended a second or two before it should have. The audio mixing sucked. The human characters mostly sucked. The theme song was underused.

Other than that, this movie was completely without flaw. If I am somehow not the last person in the thread to see it, the rest of you slackers need to get on this ASAP. Do not wait as long as I did. There would be a choice gif here to drive the point home but it would basically just have to be the entire movie.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

3 of 31: Cabin Fever

Purchased: One of my first Blu-rays. I bought it on Black Friday in 2014 I think.

I saw cabin fever in the 8th grade and thought it was one of the best horror movies I'd ever seen. I've held this opinion for 15 or more years now. I was wrong. Once the nostalgia blinders are removed, Cabin Fever is, at it's core, not a great movie. It is serviceable. The movie really only shines in two aspects:

- The side characters are actually really fun. Party cop is probably the best character ever written, second only to old man shopkeeper who gets the best joke of the movie.

- The effects. What else would you expect with Greg Nicotero providing top-notch gore? Blood abounds and body parts are strewn haphazardly throughout.

I can understand first time director Eli Roth wanted to throw everything he loved about horror into this (I see you, sly Texas Chainsaw reference), but it's just all over the place. The main characters in this movie exist to die, and that's about it. They're either fuckin' or fightin'. It is pretty funny though that throughout the movie no one actually dies from the disease; for all we know it might not be lethal. I'm sure that was intentional so points for that. Also, it was fun trying to spot how many characters were played by Eli Roth.

So. Good gore, weird side characters, and ruining what I thought was one of my favorite horror movies. RIP my tastes when I was 14.

2 "PANCAKES!" out of 5

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 4, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

10) Anaconda 1997

Gotta be honest, I picked this because I thought it was where snakepunch.gif came from.

J.Lo and Ice Cube fight a giant snake. Terrible 90s CG. Terrible 90's-ness all round.
I was annoyed that the the snake was this ravenous, always eating monster but I suppose it's hard to make a killer animal movie where it sleeps for a month after eating each victim.
Flat characters and every beat is predictable, but I found myself pretty engaged with it especially in the last act. Jon Voight looked like was having a good time. CG aside, it's a good looking movie, shot on location.

This is a bad movie, but a fun one. If I'd seen it as a kid I'd probably have a lot of affection for it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

:siren:Super Samhain Challenge #1: The Best Month:siren:
2. Viy (1967):
I was a bit skeptical of this early on, but it really picks up as our man Khoma heads off to perform last rites. There’s some very cool effects work in this and the final sequence at the church owns.

3. C.H.U.D. (1984):
I think I’ve always heard of this movie in the context of “so bad it’s good” or just “it’s very bad” but I don’t agree. It’s certainly not a great movie and has its flaws but it’s fun. I like the monster design and the NRC guy is an appropriately dickish villain. Also very strange to see a young John Goodman in a small role.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Butch Cassidy posted:

Netflix

Sooooooooooo much fun with great set, make-up, costume, and sound design innaddition to excellent acting and amazing visuals . Go watch this batshit Basque folk fantasy of deals with demons and contests for souls. Do it. Doi it do it do it! I need to track down a Blu-ray. Also need to show it to friends and my kids.

Oh, listen in the original Basque with subtitles. The subs have a few minor errors and flash by quickly but the original acting is excellent and story easy to follow. The English dub is not worth your time.

Rather than describe the plot, listen to this Finnish folk tune for a similar taste:

https://youtu.be/rZPK74xw-MA

Watched - 1. Get My Gun (2017), 2. The Last Man on Earth (1964), 3. It Stains the Sands Red (2016), 4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), 5. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017)

Decade - 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s (I), 1970s(I), 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s (III)

Black & White:Color - 1:4

By Country - 'Murica (IV), Spain (I)

New:Rewatch - 4:1

I loved the classic devil costume in this movie.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Is Constantine horror? It's the only other "questionable" movie on my list besides Prometheus. I would consider it action horror and the devil is in it so...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Untrustable posted:

Is Constantine horror? It's the only other "questionable" movie on my list besides Prometheus. I would consider it action horror and the devil is in it so...

The answer to this will affect my choice as to whether or not I can count Bedazzled

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anything that has this in it is horror

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Alright, Bedazzled is in!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Untrustable posted:

If IMDb lists it's genre (or one of them) as horror I think it's fair to say that it counts. The OP says Alvin & The Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein counts so I think you're safe with Constantine :v:

8. Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)
(Shudder)

A group of children, orphaned by the drug war in Mexico, live on the streets in constant fear of a violent gang that is hunting them down. Estrella, the only girl in the group, is also running from ghosts that she summoned as an unintended consequence of a wish - and since wishes always come in threes, she has two more to use while trying to survive. This is an excellent dark fairy tale set against a backdrop of horrific violence. There's no way to talk about this without comparing it to the work of Guillermo Del Toro, especially The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. It's a Mexican horror/dark fantasy film where children use fantasy to cope with real-life violence and terror. Much like in Del Toro's films, the real horror comes not from the supernatural but from other people.

I really enjoyed this. It isn't quite as good as either of the films I just mentioned, but those set such a high bar that it's not really a dig on this film to say that. This isn't perfect - even though the effects are creative and unique, they are marred by some mediocre CGI that is often a bit distracting. It also occasionally feels a little, I dunno.. manipulative I guess? It goes for the emotional gut punch too often, in a way that I think detracted from the story a little. These are not huge complaints though, because overall I think the film really works.

I think it's safe to say that if you like Del Toro, you're gonna enjoy this as well. It was released in Mexico in 2017 but only just recently became available in the US (outside of film festivals).

4/5

Total: 8
Watched: Dead of Night | Child's Play (2019) | Escape Room | Hell Night | The Wind | Evil Dead (2013) | Cure | Tigers Are Not Afraid

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's just not Halloween season if I'm not watching a demon get strong-armed by the meanest looking set of brass knuckles ever put on film. I want some of those so bad. Only problem is almost every replica set uses fuckin comic sans as the font on them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Butch Cassidy posted:

I watched this in May and it was my favorite discovery of the challenge, it's so good. I hope someone recommended it for the Scream Stream!

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Viy (1967 film)- I liked the folksy feel and the last act was pretty great. 3/5

The Changeling (1980)- George C Scott is always great and this movie had a good story. 4.0/5

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

:witch:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1: The Best Month:witch:

2) Viy (1967)

I loved the atmosphere of this movie. The old church set was amazing and my only minor complaint about the movie is that it takes a bit too long to get there.

The scenes in the church are all very fun and the creature effects used during the finale are the standout. The way the camera would circle around the monk during these scenes was very effective at building tension and giving the sense that he was being completely surrounded by supernatural evil he had little power to fight against.

A quick and highly entertaining watch, I recommend it.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 17, 2019

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

6. Halloween (1978)
Shudder

After being amazed to love a slasher in watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, decided to give Halloween another shot. It remains but a solid background piece for the season. Versus the visual feast of TCM.

Watched - 1. Get My Gun (2017), 2. The Last Man on Earth (1964), 3. It Stains the Sands Red (2016), 4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), 5. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017) *Current Favorite*, 6. Halloween (1978)

Decade - 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s (I), 1970s(II), 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s (III)

Black & White:Color - 1:5

By Country - 'Murica (V), Spain (I)

New:Rewatch - 4:2

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
#2: Evil Dead (1981)
Watched on Shudder

Re-watched. I like it but I don't love it, despite really wanting to. You can feel the love and care put into this, but you can also really feel the college film aspect as well. Some shots are inspired and really cool! Some just look ugly as hell and belie the actual experience and budget. Ditto on the performances. All that said, it does manage to accomplish so much with so little, and Raimi knows exactly the movie he wants to make. Evil Dead has a clarity of vision that is hard to achieve for even the most veteran filmmakers, making it a classic all fans of the genre should be familiar with.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5 /5

Watched: 1. From Beyond 2. Evil Dead

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Untrustable, I like your pics, but please use [ timg ] to thumbnail them so they don't break the tables, please.

Prometheus is fine by me.

Basebf555 posted:

I watched this in May and it was my favorite discovery of the challenge, it's so good. I hope someone recommended it for the Scream Stream!

Yeah, I'm glad I was reminded of this, cuz I forgot to put it on my Watch list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Prometheus is probably the closest we'll ever get to At the Mountains of Madness so it definitely counts as horror.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Prometheus is probably the closest we'll ever get to At the Mountains of Madness so it definitely counts as horror.

‘AvP’ would like a word with you.

No, really, it’s basically At the Mountains of Madness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

‘AvP’ would like a word with you.

No, really, it’s basically At the Mountains of Madness.

Well I don't want to have a word with AvP, thank you very much.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

6: Resident Evil Vendetta

Usually you don't expect much from straight to DVD video game movies. I watched the Bayonetta movie a little while back, for example, and it wasn't good. But Resident Evil Vendetta is a surprisingly solid movie. It's a standalone plot with a new villain and virus, and all the characters are well defined. By the time Chris and Leon get to the place where the big fight is gonna happen and somebody says, "Sorry, these are the only vehicles we could get on short notice" and it's a Humvee and a motorcycle, even a viewer who has never played a Resident Evil game will understand that those are the thematically appropriate vehicles for those characters.

It's also very well paced, it moves along very briskly with plenty of action scenes, and the action scenes never drag on too long.

It's got some problems though. The plot is very generic, and Rebecca becomes a Damsel in Distress for the last half of the movie. But she's very active and gets her own zombie fight in the first half, so I guess that's a wash. There's also an escalation of threat at the end which doesn't make a ton of sense, the bad guy is like "This virus is the old virus but way stronger, so we're going to inject it into you to create a ticking clock scenario that otherwise has no effect on anything!"

But overall it's an enjoyable movie. Good action, good characters, some good humor. If you're a fan of Resident Evil, definitely watch Resident Evil Vendetta. And if you're not a Resident Evil fan but just want a fun action horror movie, maybe give Resident Evil Vendetta a try

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
9. Five Dolls for an August Moon (1970)

A shocktober wouldn't be a shocktober without at least one Mario Bava Film. This was a first watch for me and I went in completely blind so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that Edwige Fenech is in this movie. She is fantastic as always, the rest of the movie is more of a mixed bag. The story is confusing but still entertaining enough, on the technical side we have some really nice camera work with a ton of zooms on Edwige and a weirdly upbeat score. Definitely one of the lesser Bavas but I still enjoyed it and with a runtime of only 80 minutes it doesn't overstay its welcome.

3/5

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchise: Night of the Demons

After that last film, I needed something lighter in tone to be a mental palate cleanser. On the surface, it's odd that Night of the Demons ended up a franchise instead of a one shot movie. We've had possession films, we've had haunted house films, we've had bad poo poo happens on Halloween films, but somehow with Night of the Demons it's blended into that exactly right balance.

26) Night Of The Demons - 1988 - TubiTV

The plot of this film is like a favorite comfort food. It's Halloween night and a group of teens is heading off to the local haunted location to party. Of course they decide to do a seance as a party game and contact something more than they expected.

This film pulls it off wonderfully, the setting and back history, clear rules for the demons, and the rare instance of a Final Guy with Rodger making it all the way to the end alive and not possessed. Each time I watch this, I end up singing along to Bauhaus. No one bats an eye anymore when I do a crazy stare while chanting the Latin part.

Definitely one of my faves and I include it in my On Halloween viewing.

27) Night Of The Demons 2 - 1994 - Prime

In general, we all know it's uncommon for a sequel to be on the same level as the original film. It's pretty rare for a sequel to match the original and be great on its own. This one's definitely a rare. I remember they gave out cinnamon flavored skullhead lollys with the screener tape.

Plot starts six years after the first film and follows Mouse/Melissa, who is Angela's little sister. After the untimely death of her and Angela's parents, she's been sent to the St. Rita's Boarding School for Troubled Youths. She's more shy than anything, has trouble getting along with the others, and gets teased over all the deaths in her family. As expected a bunch of the more rowdy students run afoul of the hardass Sister Gloria and end up being grounded from the Halloween Dance. Naturally they decide to have their own party at Hull House. We know what's going to happen next.

The survivors escape back to the school to tell Sister Gloria what happened and end up providing a way for the demons to pass the underground river that's kept them confined to Hull House. That's when Sister Gloria goes from hardass to badass with a battle prep montage that needs to be seen as words don't do it justice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zksw13JwSy8

All in all, this is a sequel worth adding to a Night of the Demons double feature.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1: The Best Month

2) Vampyr (1932)

A young man with a certain amount of knowledge of vampirism and the occult has a surreal experience at a countryside inn. A specter leaves him a package and a warning before departing. While the man attempts to decipher the meaning of his apparent not-a-dream, strange occurrences start to afflict a local family.

Wikipedia: this movie was the director's critical nadir
Me: yeah makes sense

This one was a little tough and I felt backed into a corner. To my great surprise (especially compared to all the non-horror MotM I haven't seen) I've seen nearly each and every horror MotM on the list, and the challenge is for something new to you. So it was basically this or Viy and it feels like most everyone else picked Viy. I probably also should have picked Viy.

There are some real knockout sequences in this film; most notably the shadows playing and later on the casket assembly. If all you want/need is visuals then this movie has you covered. For me, however, and I can't believe I'm typing this, the dreamlike sense of the film went way too far. The plot, such as it is, is the following: a dude we follow for most of the movie is given a book; another dude uses the book to actually do something in the final few minutes. And that's fine, I guess, but this movie is a prime example of the pieces utterly failing to add to a satisfying whole.

The movie is half-silent; nearly all exposition is tucked away in intertitles and static shots of book pages. This part actually kind of works! The dialogue that exists does very little to detract from the somnambulant state of the action shots. There's a thin line between a movie being deliberate and selective and a movie simply not showing you much for all the time it's taking to reach the ending.

Carl Theodor Dreyer, the director of this film, had previously helmed the fantastic Passion of Joan of Arc, but didn't make another film following Vampyr for over a decade. It's undergone a kind of critical renaissance in recent years but I can only bring myself to partially agree. It's experimental, yes, and it's at least a little interesting to watch a director use their clout to throw a curveball. It's moderately surreal but--and maybe this makes me the crazy one--everything made sense in a really simple and matter-of-fact way. I felt like I spent 70-ish minutes watching a very good director utilize some great visuals and some fantastic sequences in order to drag his feet telling a really perfunctory story.

Also, I thought the vampire was a dude for most of the movie and was all hyped for a fakeout sequence that never came. Sorry, old German lady, I thought you were an old man and I apologize.

Some neat shadows/10

3) Nine Dead (2009) [Tubi]

Nine strangers, with minimal ostensible connections, find themselves kidnapped and handcuffed in a windowless room. A masked figure enters and tells them that unless the group figures out how they're all connected that one of them will die every ten minutes. The hostages struggle with one another and themselves to understand what connection lies between them as a series of fatal deadlines loom.

Nine Dead attempts to spin a complicated web of secrets among a varied collection of characters in order to maintain an ever-developing solution to the central tension as more and more truths are spilled. As a mystery it's okay. As a thriller it's mediocre. As a morality play it's a failure.

The mystery isn't some tightly built puzzle box but it functions. With better pacing, dialogue, and performances, it would pass as good. Unfortunately the revelations that the captured characters build on to piece together their commonality mostly land with thuds. "Oh I remember now!" is a not-uncommon prelude to a key slice of information. A better script could have made it work much more smoothly even if it was never going to be an all-time shocker. Also, how each character fits into the shared responsibility the masked figure is laying at their collective feet is highly spotty.

I get it; the people who made the movie were trying to experiment sideways from Saw. Take away the deathtraps, focus harder on how a person could deserve such a grim fate in the eyes of a self-righteous killer, try to get weirdly moral and land awkwardly due to the nature of the thing that was actually made. Some of the people in the room are prime horror movie fodder; some are literally just people who were lied to. I think the killer is supposed to be aggrieved and somewhat nonsensical while still obliquely making good points. Unfortunately it feels more sloppy than morally ambiguous. As a final broken ankle as the movie tries to stick some kind of landing there's a brief mention of a greater moral in the final sequence but it's not really established so it just sounds like a pompous windbag failing to threaten someone. Which might be the point? Except it itself doesn't jive with the rest of the ending.

A special note needs to be made concerning the performances of the movie. They are, almost to a person, poor. You know how some movies have a solid cast except that one actor who isn't up to snuff but you can forgive it because everyone else carries them to the finish line? This movie is literally a room full of people who have to get carried and there's no one around to do it. I'll give a pass to the old woman who only speaks Chinese because I don't know what she's saying yet the emotions are coming across. What more can you ask from such a role? That leaves one performance of any note (the offensive creeper) but they're also one of the first to die. So get used to the emotional juggernaut that is Melissa Joan Hart is what I'm saying.

The spine of the movie is functional. The remainder, that is to say the majority, is not.

A fierce waste/10

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy that everyone is doing so well on the first Super Samhain Challenge. I hope it encourages everyone to start participating in more Movie of the Month threads in the future.

MotM threads stay open indefinitely, so if you decided to watch a film a month or two after it's month, you can and should still post about it in the thread.

Fun fact, the Movie of the Month thread is how I discovered The Monster Squad. I had never heard of it before.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'd also like to remind people that if you watch Viy I don't care if you cross post your write up into the MotM thread. (If frans ok with it)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd also like to remind people that if you watch Viy I don't care if you cross post your write up into the MotM thread. (If frans ok with it)

I appreciate people cross-posting it because I like any participation in MotM threads, but it's not mandatory, no.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

8. Videodrome (1983)
Watched On: Criterion Blu Ray
For: Super Samhain Challenge #1

“We're entering savage new times, and we're going to have to be pure... and direct... and strong... if we're gonna survive them.”

This is a profoundly upsetting movie, not just in its imagery but in its ideas. In the age of social media, 8chan radicalization, mass shootings and the blending of physical and digital, private and public, it’s all too prescient and all too real.

There’s not much more I want to say about it. It’s an incredible movie on all levels. If you haven’t watched it recently, see it again. But be prepared for the themes to hit a lot harder than they would have even a decade ago.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 5, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lumbermouth posted:

8. Videodrome (1983)
Watched On: Criterion Blu Ray

“We're entering savage new times, and we're going to have to be pure... and direct... and strong... if we're gonna survive them.”

This is a profoundly upsetting movie, not just in its imagery but in its ideas. In the age of social media, 8chan radicalization, mass shootings and the blending of physical and digital, private and public, it’s all too prescient and all too real.

There’s not much more I want to say about it. It’s an incredible movie on all levels. If you haven’t watched it recently, see it again. But be prepared for the themes to hit a lot harder than they would have even a decade ago.

When me and my last significant other broke up, Videodrome was brought up as a contributing factor. It wasn't a major reason for the break up, but I guess she disliked it enough to bring it up.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Franchescanado posted:

When me and my last significant other broke up, Videodrome was brought up as a contributing factor. It wasn't a major reason for the break up, but I guess she disliked it enough to bring it up.

That's amazing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

Presumably stating that you wished you had a vagina in your stomach so you could use horror videos as a dildo?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#7: Ouija

It's bad, folks.

It really feels like Hasbro had a heavy hand in the preproduction. It can't just be a horror movie heavily featuring a Ouija board, oh now, the Ouija board has to be the star of the show. Every one of the "rules" for using a Ouija board has to have a major impact on the plot. Characters can't just decide to play with a Ouija board for fun, every use of the Ouija board must be motivated and important for the plot. Mild skepticism is allowed, but no character can outright say Ouija boards aren't real or in any way denigrate the Ouija board.

The movie has no energy. It just drifts from scene to scene, there's no escalation, no building tension. The first death is the only one with any even minor shock power. The later deaths are very dull. At one point a ghost yells at a guy and he turns to dust? I get it, they really wanted the movie to be PG-13, and that's fine. But then don't also try to have shocking onscreen deaths, when the rating your going for pretty much makes that impossible.

The evil ghost is terrible. It has one trick, making people look like their mouths have been stitched shut. But the bad, bloodless mouth stitching effects, and how poorly they're used, completely rob it of any horror power.

The dialogue is bad. It's conceivable that a modern day teen would call coffee "bean juice" if they were one of those prematurely irony poisoned online mini-Drils. But none of the characters in Ouija are like that. None of them have any personality traits at all, for that matter.

It's just very boring. Don't watch Ouija

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Presumably stating that you wished you had a vagina in your stomach so you could use horror videos as a dildo?

She would have preferred that, for sure.