Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Frugally.

Literally walking back to on the shop with one in my hand now and it's 551 nourishing calories which is ok for a lunch I think? Big meal with the family at home later.

Jesus christ how big exactly is a big pot noodle?

I don't eat them but that's like an actual meal's worth of calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Frugally.

Literally walking back to on the shop with one in my hand now and it's 551 nourishing calories which is ok for a lunch I think? Big meal with the family at home later.

Much more calories per £ by just swigging out of a big jug of Crisp'n'Dry

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Much more calories per £ by just swigging out of a big jug of Crisp'n'Dry

Always though bread with oil and salt would work out pretty well calorie-per-pound-wise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Always though bread with oil and salt would work out pretty well calorie-per-pound-wise.

That's called beef dripping.

I mean technically it should be beef fat rather than oil but it's the same principle.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Private Speech posted:

Put some garlic and butter on that poo poo, throw it in the oven, and I could probably eat just that for the rest of my life

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Protip: try to get an office job in a big building with lots of catered meetings, then just wander past after the meetings to pick up limitless triangular sandwiches and pastries

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Red Oktober posted:

Clear why the Tories love it.

Don't tell the IDF about this :ssh:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Private Speech posted:

I used to get a half baguette and a tub of hummus but co-op put up the price of both a while back and it became prohibitively expensive.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

"my eyes are up here", said the times journo to the MP

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I think food might be cheaper in the UK or something because whenever I try to do those "1£ per serving" recipes here in the Netherlands it's always more expensive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How much would it cost you for flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and sultanas or other mixed dried fruit? Bear in mind you should buy things when they are on offer?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

AceOfFlames posted:

I think food might be cheaper in the UK or something because whenever I try to do those "1£ per serving" recipes here in the Netherlands it's always more expensive.

Didn't you say you have like £80k in your bank account. I mean, live frugally and all, but.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Tesseraction posted:

But then what does it mean to tell someone to "get to gently caress"? Just a rephrasing of "gently caress off"?

I've mostly heard it used to dispute something;

"You owe us a tenner for that taxi last night."
"Get to gently caress, I got out after 2 minutes."

"This year's Christmas party will be at a nice restaurant."
"Get to gently caress, we're going spoons again."

etc.

And it's more Get t'gently caress than Get too fack

justcola fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 3, 2019

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Chickpeas are the ultimate lazy cheap lunch solution. Drain a tin, add chopped cherry tomatoes and spring onion (really, any leftover veg you've got lying around), olive oil, salt and pepper, and seasoning (garlic powder, harissa, or a decent curry powder). I normally have something like falafels or pakoras or onion bhajis in the fridge, and one of those usually gets chopped and thrown in too. If you're not a greedy fucker like me you can probably make two meals out of this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

£X per serving also generally assumes you're going to be using the ingredients for other things, if you go out and buy things just for one recipe then that's always going to drive the cost up. A lot of cooking is being able to use the same staple ingredients and make them sufficiently varied that you don't go insane eating it for years on end.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lately I've been eating premade indian sauce with chicken breast, extra chillies and naan.

Not quite terribly cheap but if you get it discounted (and there's usually some that are) it works out at less than 2 pounds for a big meal that's quite tasty.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Didn't you say you have like £80k in your bank account. I mean, live frugally and all, but.

I want to save more!

Also it's not that much any more, without going into details, just had to spend a huge part of that on a family emergency. :-(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

justcola posted:

I've mostly heard it used to dispute something;

"You owe us a tenner for that taxi last night."
"Get to gently caress, I got out after 2 minutes."

"This year's Christmas party will be at a nice restaurant."
"Get to gently caress, we're going spoons again."

etc.

And it's more Get t'gently caress than Get too fack

Get Tae/To gently caress chat has been fascinating, but none of it explains what in the hell ISF meant with Get The gently caress.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Get Tae/To gently caress chat has been fascinating, but none of it explains what in the hell ISF meant with Get The gently caress.

Probably the same thing.

Comedy answer: it's not going to get itself! :dadjoke:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Private Speech posted:

Lately I've been eating premade indian sauce with chicken breast, extra chillies and naan.

Not quite terribly cheap but if you get it discounted (and there's usually some that are) it works out at less than 2 pounds for a big meal that's quite tasty.

just buy a bag of garam masala and season your meat with it, that basically what these spice jars are just with water

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They hosed it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jel Shaker posted:

just buy a bag of garam masala and season your meat with it, that basically what these spice jars are just with water

Eh there's some meat stock, boiled vegetables, chilli and tomato paste in it, it's not just spices. I use the slightly-nicer brand, but it's still 1.50 discounted for 4 servings (really more like 3).

I do add extra water to it on top as it happens, but I find it makes for a more full-bodied experience than just normal seasoned meat.

I know Jamie Oliver would not like it, but it comes out way cheaper than trying to make all of it myself out of fresh veggies etc., and it's very quick.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Private Speech posted:

Chicken thighs are one of the cheapest (chicken) cuts, a tiny bit more of a faff but maybe tastes better and better for you.

Garam massala, cumin and dried coriander are all pretty good, if you have a mortar and pestle some cardamom seeds are pretty good. Seasoning with lemon/coriander afterwards is also +++

I found out the other week I've been overcooking the gently caress out of beans most of my life, especially in chillies and curries. They only need a few minutes :'(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Private Speech posted:

I'm paying double the landlords mortgage in rent and yet I think it's a good deal and he's letting it out slightly below market rent. The system works.

I know the other people in my building are paying almost double my mortgage in rent based on the flat that was advertised a little while ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turkey legs out of season get you an obscene amount of meat for the money, and substitute more or less entirely for chicken in a recipe.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Failed Imagineer posted:

Protip: try to get an office job in a big building with lots of catered meetings, then just wander past after the meetings to pick up limitless triangular sandwiches and pastries

This works. Don't however do it before the meetings, they get upset about that. (Years ago at a place I worked they swoped out the entire desktop support team because the old guys had been doing exactly that)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

justcola posted:

I haven't been following much behind the scenes stuff in uk game dev though saw about Alexis Kennedy in this thread (and read various follow-ups after) - but things seem to be...slowly...getting...better?
ta for this. i haven't seen many pieces coming at ~cancel culture~ with lefty, feminist language, and it does a fair job of it. don't agree with its core, but still, interesting to see

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angrymog posted:

I know the other people in my building are paying almost double my mortgage in rent based on the flat that was advertised a little while ago.

Yeah I'm about to save a lot of money by switching from renting a 2bed flat to paying a mortgage on a 4bed house. Like a lot of money, and we were getting a well below market rent for historical reasons. Dublin city property market is almost exactly as hosed as London just fewer Russian oligarchs

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ahahahahaha this is amazing. Aw bless, at least they're actually trying with this one. Maybe there's hope for them yet.

Please do not post horny in the UKMT without warning me first

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Wachter posted:

Chickpeas are the ultimate lazy cheap lunch solution. Drain a tin, add chopped cherry tomatoes and spring onion (really, any leftover veg you've got lying around), olive oil, salt and pepper, and seasoning (garlic powder, harissa, or a decent curry powder). I normally have something like falafels or pakoras or onion bhajis in the fridge, and one of those usually gets chopped and thrown in too. If you're not a greedy fucker like me you can probably make two meals out of this.

Pan fried chickpeas with salt and chili powder are amazing

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

justcola posted:

Chicken thighs are one of the cheapest (chicken) cuts, a tiny bit more of a faff but maybe tastes better and better for you.

Garam massala, cumin and dried coriander are all pretty good, if you have a mortar and pestle some cardamom seeds are pretty good. Seasoning with lemon/coriander afterwards is also +++

I found out the other week I've been overcooking the gently caress out of beans most of my life, especially in chillies and curries. They only need a few minutes :'(

Chicken thighs are way, way tastier than breast and getting more fat is always good, but they're inconvenient as heck when you're trying to restrict calories while getting in the protein.

Dry chicken breast in perpetuity. Yum yum

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/richardburgon/status/1179712281627766784?s=21

Literally what Thomas Mair shouted before he killed Jo Cox. I don’t see how they can maintain plausible deniability about what they’re saying any more but I’m sure the press will cover for them anyway

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Arguably having a lodger isn't the same as renting out a 2nd property as you're giving up your right to complete privacy in your own home and the use of a spare room for visitors. J Corbs has had lodgers and I don't recall the thread getting all outraged at that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turkey is generally better than chicken for that too afaik?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Arguably having a lodger isn't the same as renting out a 2nd property as you're giving up your right to complete privacy in your own home and the use of a spare room for visitors. J Corbs has had lodgers and I don't recall the thread getting all outraged at that.

There's also hugely messed up power dynamics of living with lodgers which are wide open to abuse. Obviously not all or even most live-in landlords do this but we shouldn't just give them a blanket pass.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Rarity posted:

There's also hugely messed up power dynamics of living with lodgers which are wide open to abuse. Obviously not all or even most live-in landlords do this but we shouldn't just give them a blanket pass.

Anyone who abuses power imbalances is obviously wrong but that's hardly unique to a lodger/landlord situation. Lodgers have statutory rights so they would be sensible to know what they are too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's more the "live in my house and pay 92% of my mortgage for me" factor.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Yeah and I'd definitely give Corbyn poo poo for that, especially considering his wage.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

sebzilla posted:

I'm pretty sure most people here who live alone wouldn't take in a stranger for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Few pages behind but

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Or, as Owl says, leafleting (though take a long ruler to push leaflets through letterboxes without getting your fingers trapped).

:aaaaa: why the hell haven't I been doing this I'm an idiot