Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people are always like ugh the homeless camp is getting bigger!!!!! why dont they get a job???? and they never have an answer for me when i point out that even mickey d's and walmart wont hire you if you dont have an address or reliable access to a shower. guess we'll just try to get the soup kitchen and the woman's home shut down again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

"neighborhoods we occupy"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

treating humans like vermin and writing an email about it, that's a lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

people are always like ugh the homeless camp is getting bigger!!!!! why dont they get a job???? and they never have an answer for me when i point out that even mickey d's and walmart wont hire you if you dont have an address or reliable access to a shower. guess we'll just try to get the soup kitchen and the woman's home shut down again

I'm surprised they don't mention one of those totally legit honest news stories about how so and so """homeless""" guy is sitting on such a lucrative street corner that he's making $70k a year!!! Or about how this other guy actually has a house and just pretends to be homeless because it makes him so much money!!!

https://www.city-journal.org/html/professional-panhandling-plague-13101.html

quote:

Barbara Bradley, an editor with the Memphis Commercial Appeal, moved into the River City’s reviving downtown about a year and a half ago, loving its “energy and enthusiasm.” But a horde of invading panhandlers has cooled her enjoyment of city life. Earlier this year, she recalled in a recent column, as she showed some visitors around the neighborhood, “a big panhandler blocked the entrance to our parking area and demanded his toll.” Now a nervous Bradley avoids certain downtown areas, locks her car when fueling up at local gas stations, and parks strategically, so that she can see beggars coming before getting out of her car. “When I hear someone call out ‘ma’am, ma’am’ anywhere in downtown or midtown, I run.”

OH GOD A POOR PERSON AAAA

quote:

Unlike their predecessors in the seventies and eighties, many of these new beggars aren’t helpless victims or even homeless. Rather, they belong to a diverse and swelling community of street people who have made panhandling their calling.

See unlike the poor people that you boomers gave to when you were younger, the poor people today are evil.

quote:

A big part of the cities’ woes is the professionalization of panhandling. The old type of panhandler—a mentally impaired or disabled homeless person trying to scrape together a few bucks for a meal—is giving way to the full-time spanger who supports himself through a combination of begging, working at odd jobs, and other sources, like government assistance from disability payments. Some full-time panhandlers are kids—“road warriors” who have largely dropped out of society and drift from town to town, often “couch surfing” at friends’ homes, or “street loiterers” who daily make their way downtown from the suburbs where they live.

Anecdotal surveys by journalists and police, and even testimony by panhandlers themselves, suggest that begging can yield anywhere from $20 to $100 a day—though police in Coos Bay, Oregon, found that local panhandlers were taking in as much as $300 a day in a Wal-Mart parking lot. “A panhandler could make thirty to forty thousand dollars a year, tax-free money,” Baker says. In Memphis, a local FOX News reporter, Jason Carter, donned old clothes and hit the streets earlier this year, earning about $10 an hour. “Just the quasi-appearance of being homeless filled my cup,” Carter observed. That all the money is beyond the tax man’s clutches adds to the allure of professional panhandling.

Wow you could make barely over minimum wage on a good day and all you have to do is sit outside in the weather constantly and get spat on by assholes!

quote:

If it seems unlikely that a homeless person would surf the Web for advice on how to panhandle, that’s exactly the point: many aren’t homeless and are lying about their circumstances. A reporter for KUTV in Salt Lake City followed and filmed panhandlers for several months, documenting their scams. One twentysomething woman wielded a sign informing people that she was homeless and needed a bus ticket back to Seattle. The reporter followed her one day, however, and discovered that she lived in a nearby suburb. Confronted by the reporter, the woman explained away her deception: “I don’t say anything to anybody. I hold this sign. I don’t make anybody give me money.” Her story isn’t unique: homeless advocate Pamela Atkinson told KUTV that some 70 percent of panhandlers in Salt Lake City aren’t describing their situations accurately.

You heard it here first folks, homeless advocate Pamela Atkinson says 70 percent of panhandlers are actually twenty something liars who live comfortably in suburbs!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The end of that article deserves its own post because lol

quote:

Yet even as cities experiment with new approaches, those traditionally opposed to restrictions on panhandling are fighting back—notably, civil liberties groups and some homeless advocates, who oppose any actions that might criminalize conduct by even a minority of the homeless. In 2003, San Francisco residents overwhelmingly passed a ballot proposition authored by then-supervisor (and now mayor) Gavin Newsom outlawing in-your-face panhandling. But the ordinance has been ineffective because scores of volunteer lawyers, many from the city’s biggest law firms, have fought every citation. People cited for panhandling don’t even need to appear in court. They simply drop their citations in boxes at various advocacy groups, and the lawyers pick them up and appear in court, where judges have ruled that cops must file lengthy reports in order to get a conviction. The courts are dismissing about 85 percent of all tickets handed out under the ordinance, frustrating police, prosecutors, politicians, and residents who voted for it. “If you had been here several years ago, before the ordinance passed, and came back today, you wouldn’t see a difference in the level of panhandling. There’s as much as ever,” says supervisor Sean Elsbernd.

Such battles between civil libertarians and those who want to limit panhandling remain common. Austin civil rights advocates got the city’s ban on panhandling along roadsides overturned; the court ruled that the city hadn’t adequately demonstrated that panhandling was a safety issue. Even New York City, which has long been able to stave off court challenges to its panhandling ordinance, isn’t immune. A local judge has ruled that police have sometimes overstepped the bounds of the city’s aggressive panhandling legislation and arrested people for peaceful solicitation. Last year, a court awarded $100,000 to a beggar arrested eight times in the Bronx.

The evil poor people have teams of high-paid lawyers to help them, and our poor honest city council keeps getting its ordinances overturned because of silly things like "you've not actually shown that panhandling is unsafe", doesn't everyone know that poor people naturally exude crime miasma wherever they go that causes people to fall into lives of lawless depravity??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

I'm surprised they don't mention one of those totally legit honest news stories about how so and so """homeless""" guy is sitting on such a lucrative street corner that he's making $70k a year!!! Or about how this other guy actually has a house and just pretends to be homeless because it makes him so much money!!!

https://www.city-journal.org/html/professional-panhandling-plague-13101.html

OH GOD A POOR PERSON AAAA

See unlike the poor people that you boomers gave to when you were younger, the poor people today are evil.

Wow you could make barely over minimum wage on a good day and all you have to do is sit outside in the weather constantly and get spat on by assholes!

You heard it here first folks, homeless advocate Pamela Atkinson says 70 percent of panhandlers are actually twenty something liars who live comfortably in suburbs!!

I assume there’s articles to be found about hippies doing this in the 60s out there somewhere?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

quote:

"The old type of panhandler—a mentally impaired or disabled homeless person trying to scrape together a few bucks for a meal—is giving way to the full-time spanger who supports himself through a combination of begging, working at odd jobs, and other sources, like government assistance from disability payments"

mods....

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Remember that lady who claimed she got catcalled hundreds of times, then put up video as proof and it turned out when she said 'catcallers' she actually meant 'panhandlers'

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tunicate posted:

Remember that lady who claimed she got catcalled hundreds of times, then put up video as proof and it turned out when she said 'catcallers' she actually meant 'panhandlers'

No but lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tunicate posted:

Was that the video that was 90% nonwhite people?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it's been years (or hell world decades) since I've seen it but probably

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Growning up in a Hispanic culture, if you are a guy, you are encouraged to be sexually aggressive. In fact, in certain countries in South America, you will be turned down if you are not persistent enough chasing after some girl.

I understand that big cities have a danger factor and race relations are a thing, but having all the offenders be POC seems like bad form.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Of the actually gross dudes in this video, my favorite is that guy who was trying so hard to be a PUA by following her around and saying "am I ugly??" at her and trying to tell her his phone number :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forceholy posted:

Growning up in a Hispanic culture, if you are a guy, you are encouraged to be sexually aggressive. In fact, in certain countries in South America, you will be turned down if you are not persistent enough chasing after some girl.

I understand that big cities have a danger factor and race relations are a thing, but having all the offenders be POC seems like bad form.

I mean that's also true of American culture in quite a lot of places and especially in the south.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1179811625651429376

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Shame Boy posted:

The end of that article deserves its own post because lol

The evil poor people have teams of high-paid lawyers to help them, and our poor honest city council keeps getting its ordinances overturned because of silly things like "you've not actually shown that panhandling is unsafe", doesn't everyone know that poor people naturally exude crime miasma wherever they go that causes people to fall into lives of lawless depravity??

the internet poo poo enrages me. a bottom of the barrel prepaid smartphone costs like 20-30 bucks, and you can’t get a job without a phone anymore so guess what, homeless people have phones

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's always cool when a middle class person has every luxury and need met so when they look at poverty they dont understand what things are needs anymore

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

quote:

is giving way to the full-time spanger who supports himself through a combination of begging, working at odd jobs, and other sources, like government assistance from disability payments. Some full-time panhandlers are kids—“road warriors” who have largely dropped out of society and drift from town to town, often “couch surfing” at friends’ homes, or “street loiterers” who daily make their way downtown from the suburbs where they live.

So, people can't find work and the assistance we provide to the poor is proving insufficient to meet their basic needs. This is their fault, of course. I fully agree with everyone who says that the homeless camps should be dismantled. I don't think anyone should live in those conditions and if Canada even got back a 10th of the money that's evaded taxes we could feed, house and clothe every single person living in a tent in the first world.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I hope they didn't run out of kickstarter money and suddenly need to take multiple deals like this.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Paladin posted:

I hope they didn't run out of kickstarter money and suddenly need to take multiple deals like this.

Their Kickstarter money is all going into the cartoon iirc, they just do obnoxious promo poo poo like this to make money now because it's increasingly a full time job for some of them.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

bike tory posted:

Their Kickstarter money is all going into the cartoon iirc, they just do obnoxious promo poo poo like this to make money now because it's increasingly a full time job for some of them.

Aaaaand just like that, what little interest I had in Critical Role evaporated. Into the lovely roleplaying dump with Adventure Zone it goes!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Eh it's still decent DnD, it's gotten a lot better than some of the horrendously melodramatic poo poo they were doing in the first campaign. Just skip over the promo thing they do at the start of each episode.

But also there are like a million DnD podcasts around these days so feel free to discard them if you don't like it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the internet poo poo enrages me. a bottom of the barrel prepaid smartphone costs like 20-30 bucks, and you can’t get a job without a phone anymore so guess what, homeless people have phones

To be more fair than the article deserves, it should be noted that it was written in 2008 when the first iphone had only existed for a year and data plans were monstrously expensive. However using the internet at the library was still free sooo

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I can’t believe Malthusian logic is the publicly stated reason they went with. I mean at least some places try and pretend it’s for health reasons or some less obvious bullshit like they’re afraid some dude sleeping on a park bench is gonna sue them if he eats a 2 day old muffin and it makes his tummy hurt.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

quote:

The new deal means parents will have to sign up for HBO Max in order to get access to new Sesame Street episodes as they air, according to Vulture. Episodes will air for free on PBS “at some point” after the episodes debut on HBO Max, Vulture reports, but WarnerMedia plans to use Sesame Street to build out its family content offerings.

The new Sesame Street deal will go into effect in 2020, alongside the premiere of the show’s 51st season. HBO Max does not have a launch date or price at this time, but it’s expected to debut in spring 2020 for a minimum of $15 a month — the same cost as HBO Now.

oh my GOD gently caress you ghouls

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you want some good actual play go listen to NeoScum or Six Feats Under or Campaign.

Rude Tales of Magic is also good but they just started so there's only one episode out.

100 HOGS AGREE has issued a correction as of 13:04 on Oct 4, 2019

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
that sucks hardcore but also no child gives a poo poo about specifically seeing the latest episode of sesame street the day it releases so as long as they're on PBS eventually it could be worse

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
in a free market another show would fill the niche of publicly available children's puppet edutainment

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
glass cannon podcast is great pathfinder

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Cool Kids Table is also extremely good lately, especially their D&D campaign and their Sequinox episodes. Some of the older stuff is skippable.

https://podknife.com/podcasts/cool-kids-table

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Pastry of the Year posted:

oh my GOD gently caress you ghouls

this actually isnt new. HBO started producing new episodes of seasame street years ago and they made their way to PBS roughly 9-10 months later. It's not that big a deal because little kids are dumb and they're happy watching the same episode of their favorite shows over and over and over and over again. I've never had my 4 year old complain about watching reruns.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

this actually isnt new. HBO started producing new episodes of seasame street years ago and they made their way to PBS roughly 9-10 months later. It's not that big a deal because little kids are dumb and they're happy watching the same episode of their favorite shows over and over and over and over again. I've never had my 4 year old complain about watching reruns.

I mean there are like 40 years of good Sesame Street episodes. The kiddos don't need to see the latest Game of Thrones parody, they need to see muppets count in Spanish

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I mean there are like 40 years of good Sesame Street episodes. The kiddos don't need to see the latest Game of Thrones parody, they need to see muppets count in Spanish

I think it's actually kinda smart on HBO's part, since the whole reason Sesame Street has pop culture stuff in it is for parents watching with the kids, so if you want all your dank sesame street memes to be the most up to date you gotta pay for HBO, but kids don't care at all and still get it for free later so are mostly unaffected.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol just lol if you think most parents don’t just give their kids a tablet and let them watch YouTube now a days instead of loving Sesame Street

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This is the only Sesame Street anyone needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOaZbaPzdsk

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Brosephine posted:

lol just lol if you think most parents don’t just give their kids a tablet and let them watch YouTube now a days instead of loving Sesame Street

that is possibly true but entirely irrelevant and incredibly depressing thank you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

I wonder if there's a social divide there, where the better-off parents who can afford the time and effort it takes to monitor their kids' media consumption (and pay for HBO) have kids who watch sesame street and other educational shows, and less well-off parents have kids that get a cheap no-name tablet watching mackey mouse finger family johnny johnny videos.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Science Says all you have to do for a successful kid is be a total overbearing rear end in a top hat to them and demand that they earn your love by getting into Harvard and doing all the other things you regret failing at in your own life. This definitely won't gently caress them up at all, promise. Or at least, not in ways that matter like "ability to make money".