Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Microsoft definitely took a crack at Samsung in the keynote even if it was subtle. When talking about both the Duo and Neo, they emphasized how the center screen break was important and incorporated into the experience they were trying to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sourdough posted:

It prompting you to sync with Google when you use it is better than I expected, but still not great. Adding more options doesn't make things easier, it's better to default to the most universally useful thing and let someone who knows what they want change it.

For example, someone wants to add a contact to their phone so they can call someone from their phone, so surely they should save the contact to their phone, right?

Obviously that's not the best option, but only if you already know exactly how it works.

Also, I'm going to call bs on Samsung apps not being front and center, despite Play Store being slightly more central than the Galaxy Store lol. Which Calendar or Contacts app would someone open by default?

Galaxy phones don't come with Google Contacts or Calendar preinstalled, Samsung's apps hook into Google services and you are free to install Google's and get rid of Samsung's if that's your thing. I have my contacts saved to my Google account and my Google calendar is my main calendar, but I prefer to access them through the Samsung app.

As to someone who doesn't know what they're doing messing up saving their contacts, that's their problem. My post was strictly about my personal preference, I made no claims of objective superiority.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

nerdrum posted:

You should try one handed touch on the Galaxy Store. It's a different gesture set that feels really fantastic, to me.

Thanks for the tip. It's pretty awesome.

The fingerprint readers been a bit hit and miss. I registered two of the same fingerprint and I'm getting about 75% success rate. Perhaps it'll be something I get better at over time.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 2, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Okay, what hasn't leaked by this point

https://9to5google.com/2019/10/02/pixel-4-motion-sense-exclusive-video/

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Have they shown anything with the video portrait mode setting yet (fake depth of field, whatever it's called)? I thought I read something about it and I'd actually love that to be ported to Pixel 3.

Also astrophotography. God I hope they port that back and it's not Pixel 4 exclusive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Camera samples.

https://9to5google.com/2019/10/02/exclusive-pixel-4-camera-samples/

drat they look incredible and is making it mighty tempting.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 3, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That astro mode is loving bonkers every time I see it holy gently caress

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Douglas Adams was a prophet

bull3964 posted:

Camera samples.

The banner picture on that article is loving horrendous

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

blunt posted:

It really looks like it's built around productivity as opposed to media. I'd totally use one as a company device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__WVGJa8qOc

I'm really struggling with the form factor here. Like, I don't see how you would use this as a phone? It's not going to comfortable fit in the pocket or the hand.

Which, fine? I barely use my phone as a phone anymore and if I'm at home or at work I really even prefer to text on my laptop than my phone.

I feel like this doesn't make any sense unless there is a Surface Watch to take over phone and notification functions along with the Surface Earbuds.

A year is a long way away, but at this point it seems like the only way this is a product that works is to ask us to basically go back to the dumb phone and PDA, which, I dunno, given the massive popularity of Airpods, Apple Watches and Smart Assistants, we aren't that far away from?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I kinda want the Duo as a tablet and not a phone. But in think I'll probably end up going for the Neo in that case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Camera samples.

Holy poo poo. Those astro pics. Yeah this all but seals the deal on the pixel 4 for me, camera is my #1 thing on a phone by far.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It looks kind of like... a playbook...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The one of the dog in motion is pretty amazing, as is the one of the guy on the beach backlit by the sun. The dynamic range in that shot is incredible.

I just noticed the one with the guy and the dog backlit by the setting sun and you can see the moon in the sky. That would be a hard shot to capture.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 3, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK how can I get one, but with a same-day warranty exchange?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Three Olives posted:

I'm really struggling with the form factor here. Like, I don't see how you would use this as a phone? It's not going to comfortable fit in the pocket or the hand.

Which, fine? I barely use my phone as a phone anymore and if I'm at home or at work I really even prefer to text on my laptop than my phone.

I feel like this doesn't make any sense unless there is a Surface Watch to take over phone and notification functions along with the Surface Earbuds.

A year is a long way away, but at this point it seems like the only way this is a product that works is to ask us to basically go back to the dumb phone and PDA, which, I dunno, given the massive popularity of Airpods, Apple Watches and Smart Assistants, we aren't that far away from?

It's a pre-production unit, but it already looks like its size isn't that big of an issue tbh. I timestamped the keynote where you can see the actual device being handled, and better gauge how it fits in pocket and hand—though he does put it in his back pocket and lol at accidentally sitting on your Surface Duo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmaioTs0NH8&t=5278s

My guess is they'll eventually come out with a more traditional form factor and call it Surface Solo.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The way you could install Google apps on the Mate 30 has been deactivated:

https://www.gsmarena.com/you_can_no_longer_install_google_apps_on_the_mate_30_prophp-news-39439.php

It was a bad idea to even launch those phones outside of China imo, it only confuses consumers and hurts the brand.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Oooo, dark theme on in Play Store now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I actually got that a few days ago on my OnePlus 7 Pro.

But I don't have dark Gmail on any of my devices yet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I actually got that a few days ago on my OnePlus 7 Pro.

But I don't have dark Gmail on any of my devices yet.

Same, and it sucks :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My Tab S5e seems to be TRYING with Gmail dark mode. When I open it up, sometimes random UI elements will be in the dark mode or text has changed to light gray on white, but it won't commit to it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Within the past few weeks, Google Pay has been insisting I use a lock screen to use it. Since that's unacceptable, I've taken to putting one on for the totality of the half a second it needs before putting it rightfully to unlocking with a swipe. Is there any way to fix this so it'll work properly without asking for a lock screen?

(sorry if this is the wrong thread for this; I've no idea why this just suddenly happened and I'm kinda at my wits end.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Within the past few weeks, Google Pay has been insisting I use a lock screen to use it. Since that's unacceptable, I've taken to putting one on for the totality of the half a second it needs before putting it rightfully to unlocking with a swipe. Is there any way to fix this so it'll work properly without asking for a lock screen?

(sorry if this is the wrong thread for this; I've no idea why this just suddenly happened and I'm kinda at my wits end.)

Sorry, just to confirm to make sure I'm understanding you: You want to use Google Pay to pay, like with tap, without having to unlock/secure your device with a lock screen?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Christ, get a phone with a fingerprint reader already.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Just mail me your wallet and I'll be sure to come over and swipe your credit card for you when you need it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, just to confirm to make sure I'm understanding you: You want to use Google Pay to pay, like with tap, without having to unlock/secure your device with a lock screen?

I want it to work like it's done forever. I select Google Pay to pay for {thing}, usually a food delivery, I press a button, it goes through.

My device is secured because it's, you know, in my pocket.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I want it to work like it's done forever. I select Google Pay to pay for {thing}, usually a food delivery, I press a button, it goes through.

My device is secured because it's, you know, in my pocket.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but putting your phone in your pocket isn't securing it. Having a lock screen is a minimal and essential part of smartphone security and it absolutely should be a hard requirement for any kind of payment app.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
As I explained in the first post, the highest acceptable/tolerable level of lock screen on my phone is a swipe. Google Pay worked properly for years this way, and I'd rather find a way to restore that functionality, without tricking my phone into thinking I have a lock screen on when I hit the pay button. Warning about lock screen, phone-version-of-alt-tab to settings to turn one on, back to app, hit okay, phone-version-of-alt-tab back to settings to turn it off.

Like, my phone is already on. I am literally staring at it. There's never an instance - and there never will be an instance - when I turn my phone screen on and it asks me for a lock screen.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Having a lock screen is a minimal and essential part of smartphone security and it absolutely should be a hard requirement for any kind of payment app.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, i don't think you're gonna get a lot of sympathy for "having a lock screen is a dealbreaker." they're one of the most basic things about computers, smartphones, and tablets these days.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

As I explained in the first post, the highest acceptable/tolerable level of lock screen on my phone is a swipe. Google Pay worked properly for years this way, and I'd rather find a way to restore that functionality, without tricking my phone into thinking I have a lock screen on when I hit the pay button. Warning about lock screen, phone-version-of-alt-tab to settings to turn one on, back to app, hit okay, phone-version-of-alt-tab back to settings to turn it off.

Like, my phone is already on. I am literally staring at it. There's never an instance - and there never will be an instance - when I turn my phone screen on and it asks me for a lock screen.

I honestly haven't read this kind of opinion before. Unfortunately you're going to have to adjust your stance and learn how to not be so hardline on an outdated position, given the realities of modern technology and security issues. It's very simple to adapt to a lockscreen on a modern smartphone, given the proliferation of fingerprint readers and now high quality facial recognition like Apple's Face ID and Google's upcoming copycat of that. Under no circumstances should a payment app ever be usable without a security check of some kind - a lockscreen is the simplest and least intrusive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Android OS: My device is secured because it's in my pocket.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Neither Google or Apple considers that sufficient security, so it just won't work how you want it to. There are reasons for it that you might not care about, but I don't think you're going to get around it with any current smartphone. The best solution for you imo is to get a phone with a fingerprint reader like someone suggested, and then just pretend the power button doesn't exist, so that you're always turning on the phone and unlocking it at the same time, with your fingerprint.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Unfortunately you're going to have to adjust your stance

Nah, I'll just do what I do on another app that I used to use Google Pay for, and just change it from Google Pay to Card That Google Pay Is Already Charging To.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, I'll just do what I do on another app that I used to use Google Pay for, and just change it from Google Pay to Card That Google Pay Is Already Charging To.

That's your prerogative. But understand that you're putting yourself at an unnecessarily increased risk by refusing to adapt to very simply and easy security-related features on modern devices.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

sourdough posted:

Neither Google or Apple considers that sufficient security, so it just won't work how you want it to.

Because it is literally not a means of security. It is meant so you're not getting phantom touches while in your pocket.

Seconding; Just get a phone with a fingerprint reader on the power button. I forget sometimes that I do have a PIN as backup because my phone just unlocks every time I hit the power button.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's your prerogative. But understand that you're putting yourself at an unnecessarily increased risk by refusing to adapt to very simply and easy security-related features on modern devices.

If any of the security features you or others are suggesting will invariably read the tip of my thumb in less than a tenth of a second moving from center-screen to edge-of-screen with 100% accuracy*, I'd be willing to try them. :shrug:

* I'm willing to go down to 90%, sometimes I have to twirl my phone from upside-down to right-side up and once in a blue moon the swipe doesn't take, but otherwise point stands.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 3, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

If any of the security features you or others are suggesting will invariably read the tip of my thumb in less than a tenth of a second moving from center-screen to edge-of-screen with 100% accuracy*, I'd be willing to try them. :shrug:

* I'm willing to go down to 90%, sometimes I have to twirl my phone from upside-down to right-side up and once in a blue moon the swipe doesn't take, but otherwise point stands.

Like I said, the issue is with your unreasonable and outdated hardline stance. You have to modernize and adjust your way of thinking. It's your choice if you refuse to change and adapt, but don't expect others to support or help you.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

If any of the security features you or others are suggesting will invariably read the tip of my thumb in less than a tenth of a second moving from center-screen to edge-of-screen with 100% accuracy, I'd be willing to try them. :shrug:

But you're willing to do some rear end backwards way of allowing you to use Google Pay that requires tricking it?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What on Earth are you doing with your phone that requires such immediate instant access to Google pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Reading is a skill, I mentioned that the only time I'm using Google Pay and it demands a lock screen is with food deliveries. I've gotten in the habit of loading the lock screen settings before opening up the delivery app so I can get some semblance of functionality back.

I'd say a third of the time, I get the "you need a pointless level of security" message after the payment has gone through already.

cage-free egghead posted:

But you're willing to do some rear end backwards way of allowing you to use Google Pay that requires tricking it?

Broken functionality occasionally requires esoteric fixes. I was just looking for a better solution to the error than the one I was using.

Like I said, what's the point of it needing a lock screen when there would be no point during the activity where I'd see a lock screen?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 3, 2019