Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I read the twitter account "Gnasherjew" today and now I feel really sad. I know Labour isn't anti-Semitic on a huge level, though there are anti-Semitic people in Labour unfortunately, but I do wish that there was some way to convince people who are obviously hurting from it that Labour is trying to be good.

I also don't quite understand what these folks think will happen when Corbyn/ Labour gets in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A flatmate a couple of years ago told me she was called in for a 1:1 meeting with her manager, who wasn't in the meeting room when she arrived and had forgotten to close the monitoring / productivity page on her computer. Basically every keystroke monitored, metrics on how fast she was working, screenshots of what she was doing.

I'd like to think I'd have instantly quit but I also like getting paid, eating etc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

knox_harrington posted:

I'd like to think I'd have instantly quit but I also like getting paid, eating etc

That's how they get you

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

To this day I am pissed I'm not allowed to eat swan, they look tasty as gently caress

You absolutely are allowed to eat them (although most ways of hunting them are illegal), they taste like fishy turkey apparently.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sharing your home with someone who is not your romantic partner can be a major trial (and can be even if they're not).
Man I share a house with my sister-in-law. I will admit I am a bit of a tart about a lot of things, but I am pretty sure I'm not being unreasonable saying that it's absolutely loving unbearable. Imagine living with a teenager, only you can't tell them off because they're also kind of your landlord. It's hell.

When we first inherited it (wife's mum died of cancer, we ain't rich), the sister in law was still at uni, we couldn't afford the bills on our own, and one of our uni friends needed to move out of a bad situation. The house was being administered by trustees (my in-laws) at that point (and we weren't as socially aware at the time) so we did the bad and charged her the 'going rate,' which was about £350 for a double room in the rear end end of Oxfordshire.

It was completely unhelpful and unreasonable, and I'm not going to defend it. We didn't need that much and we were basically profiting off a friend. Even if they'd been a stranger, that wouldn't have made it ok. I mean I'd say what would have been fair would have been 1/3 of the bills & council tax in a 3 bedroom house, which would have been under a hundred quid.

As it stands, the sad thing is we are probably going to have to be lardlords*again, since the sister in law wants to stay in this house, but in no way has her poo poo together enough to take a half mortgage or pay all of the bills. So more than likely we're going to have to move out, rent, and then offset by renting out the double & single we're currently occupying.

I would love to set a fair price or just not be involved in the whole shitshow, but unfortunately neither my wife & I or my sister in law have the money or safety net to just sell & split.

* Not gonna correct that.

WhatEvil posted:

A land value tax like Guav said seems more reasonable. You could make it progressive and apply not just on a "per house" basis but a "per person" basis, and have it also apply to 2nd homes/buy-to-let, so the more total land you own the steeper the tax gets, and then you solve landlords too.
That's already way, way more equity than the rich ever want. It has to be per room you see, because this 150 square foot second ballroom is exactly the same as you needing a different bedroom for each of your children.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I have been sacked from the new job I started. In the middle of an afternoon training session with another manager my line manager comes in and explains that due to some “comments I’ve made” some “concerns had been raised” and “they felt I wasn’t the same person that I came across as in my interview” and that “I wasn’t going to be a good fit”. Leaving them with no choice but to let me go.

I’m frankly at a loss as to what these comments were, as I’m very careful about what I say to whom in a new job for obvious reasons. From my perspective everything was going extremely well and I was getting on with everyone and picking things up nicely. She refused to elaborate when I asked what these comments were, saying only that “I was on probation, the decision has been made and they have no wish to discuss it further.”

I cant help but think the other woman in the part of the office I was in simply didn’t like me and badmouthed me to our manager.

I’ve been in touch with my old boss and can probably get my old job back, but still, what a loving waste of everyone’s time.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Maybe they read this thread

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
thameslink still totally broken tonight very cool

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Guavanaut posted:

I'd only have to sell just north of 1,500 domains at $15.99 a year and I'd have paid off the initial capital within 10 years and covered the maintenance cost, and after that I'd be making $17,000 a year of pure profit!

Assuming no running costs or advertising costs or registrar costs and that I actually have $185k in the first place lol
:capitalism:

I think you'd get the 185k back just from the sale of iwanna.poo which you just know in 2020 would end up as a private health company that sends you swab kits once a month in the post to check for bowel obstructions, maybe I'm onto something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You absolutely are allowed to eat them (although most ways of hunting them are illegal)
That's true for humans too.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Josef bugman posted:

I read the twitter account "Gnasherjew" today and now I feel really sad. I know Labour isn't anti-Semitic on a huge level, though there are anti-Semitic people in Labour unfortunately, but I do wish that there was some way to convince people who are obviously hurting from it that Labour is trying to be good.

I also don't quite understand what these folks think will happen when Corbyn/ Labour gets in.

This confuses me too, if a person is being sincere.

When the proposition is "there is antisemitism in the Labour party", then the response "the Tories are much worse" is not a good answer, at all.

But when it's "I'm scared what will happen if Labour get in", it kind of...is? Maybe?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

That's true for humans too.

WTF?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do always get a little nervous about blaming George Soros for stuff automatically being considered antisemitic. I mean, he's just one guy, and a billionaire at that. What if he does eventually use his massive wealth and influence to do something seriously awful?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You absolutely are allowed to eat them (although most ways of hunting them are illegal), they taste like fishy turkey apparently.

Sounds horrible.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

This confuses me too, if a person is being sincere.

When the proposition is "there is antisemitism in the Labour party", then the response "the Tories are much worse" is not a good answer, at all.

But when it's "I'm scared what will happen if Labour get in", it kind of...is? Maybe?
The best answer is something like "yes, there are antisemites, racists, sexists, homophobes, transphobes, and Kate Hoey in the Labour Party membership and we must do as much as we can to deal with that, but at present it seems like we're doing better than other major parties or general society, which is a promising sign."

There's no specific offence of cannibalism in England & Wales as long as you do it in private, but most means of obtaining a corpse are illegal.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've decided I hate letterboxes with little brushes in them

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

I read the twitter account "Gnasherjew" today

Dont do that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
And a second flap on the other side agSgshsgdavd :argh:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hey so what will happen when boris and the government ignore the law that says they have to request an extension by a certain date if they dont have a deal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Josef bugman posted:

gnasherjew is a very dodgy account and also isn't run by jews afaik

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So I have been sacked from the new job I started. In the middle of an afternoon training session with another manager my line manager comes in and explains that due to some “comments I’ve made” some “concerns had been raised” and “they felt I wasn’t the same person that I came across as in my interview” and that “I wasn’t going to be a good fit”. Leaving them with no choice but to let me go.

Sorry dude, that sucks hard. Why not just tell you the reason instead of that mealy-mouthed non-explanation they gave?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

It's run by absolute lunatics who make Rachel Riley look like a saint

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’m frankly at a loss as to what these comments were, as I’m very careful about what I say to whom in a new job for obvious reasons. From my perspective everything was going extremely well and I was getting on with everyone and picking things up nicely. She refused to elaborate when I asked what these comments were, saying only that “I was on probation, the decision has been made and they have no wish to discuss it further.”

I cant help but think the other woman in the part of the office I was in simply didn’t like me and badmouthed me to our manager.

I’ve been in touch with my old boss and can probably get my old job back, but still, what a loving waste of everyone’s time.

:(
Hope you can get your old job back. Was it you who recently lost a baby too?

This is a problem with changing jobs. Even if it wasn't the sack, if redundancies were kicking in, 'last in, first out' often applies. I think there should be some minimum time period over which a company has to pay you (say 3 months pay) if you don't get through probation or whatever.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

I do always get a little nervous about blaming George Soros for stuff automatically being considered antisemitic. I mean, he's just one guy, and a billionaire at that. What if he does eventually use his massive wealth and influence to do something seriously awful?

I mean the way he obtained his wealth was pretty awful, no reason to think he's anything but. But it's pretty easy to spot the (((globalist))) Soros criticisms a mile off

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

Sounds horrible.

Well yes, which is why we don't eat them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean the way he obtained his wealth was pretty awful, no reason to think he's anything but. But it's pretty easy to spot the (((globalist))) Soros criticisms a mile off
Yeah, it really wouldn't surprise me if Soros shorted the pound over brexit, because he's done exactly the same in the past.

But when people claim he runs a secret reptilian army or was actually a Nazi in Hungary and pretended to be a Jew to get into America or whatever that's just being weird and probably antisemitic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jose posted:

TheRat posted:

It's run by absolute lunatics who make Rachel Riley look like a saint

Okay, that is saying something. Also, is there any more stuff about this that I can read up on?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, that is saying something. Also, is there any more stuff about this that I can read up on?

https://medium.com/@shaunjlawson/enough-is-enough-rachel-riley-gnasherjew-and-the-political-weaponisation-of-antisemitism-5251bb1adec5

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is a problem with changing jobs. Even if it wasn't the sack, if redundancies were kicking in, 'last in, first out' often applies. I think there should be some minimum time period over which a company has to pay you (say 3 months pay) if you don't get through probation or whatever.

Instead you can be sacked in the first 2 years for whatever reason since the Tories 'something about tribunals getting clogged with spurious cases' hate workers.

e: As do the yellow Tories, obviously, since they signed off on it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 3, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bobstar posted:

When my company bought another company, one of the first things the CEO did was demand all the security cameras pointing at the employees were taken down, which was nice. I think they come as close as possible to fulfilling the whole "think of this company as one big family" thing (which is not very close because it's bollocks, but it could be much worse).

But I think by far the most beneficial cultural aspect is just letting people get on with their jobs and trusting people as adults. I feel like not doing that is responsible for a huge proportion of job-hating.

The thing with Big Brother levels of corporate monitoring is that:

- The usual lazy gently caress minority will just find a way to circumvent the system. They always loving do.
- The average productive workforce will hate it and you’ll lose out because they’ll start half-assing some things your new system makes harder for them
- Your most productive and expensive workers will just go somewhere else because there’s plenty of other employers willing to take them that don’t do Panopticon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How many plastic bags did they get in exchange?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Instead you can be sacked in the first 2 years for whatever reason since the Tories 'something about tribunals getting clogged with spurious cases' hate workers.

e: As do the yellow Tories, obviously, since they signed off on it.

Vince Cable was Secretary of State for Business at the time, actually, it was his idea. Though Blair brought the whole thing in in the first place; the Coalition just doubled it from one to two years.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

OwlFancier posted:

Nice to know we have titty shrooms to go with the willy shroom I found in summer.

No, that's close relative Lycoperdon mammiforme, "boob-shaped thing that farts like a wolf"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I wish there was a bit more news atm, I'm still sick as poo poo and not sleeping right so I could do with the distraction.

Instead I've been reading baru cormorant and reading the middle east thread so last night I was just having constant fever dreams about ridiculous fantasy names with too many Xs and Ys while Houthi rebel songs played in my head

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I wish there was a bit more news atm, I'm still sick as poo poo and not sleeping right so I could do with the distraction.
If you'd like I can share my thoughts on how Untitled Goose Game explains Ben Shapiro.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

its interesting that companies are spying on their workers because Bărbulescu v. Romania in 2017, ruled at the EU court of Human Rights that you cant actually spy on everything your employee does at work, there legally needs to be some limit to prevent abuse, and I doubt you can legally justify yourself in front of a judge with the defense that everything needs to be monitored because the third largest paper distributor in Swindon needs the same security as GCHQ

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

When my company bought another company, one of the first things the CEO did was demand all the security cameras pointing at the employees were taken down, which was nice. I think they come as close as possible to fulfilling the whole "think of this company as one big family" thing (which is not very close because it's bollocks, but it could be much worse).

But I think by far the most beneficial cultural aspect is just letting people get on with their jobs and trusting people as adults. I feel like not doing that is responsible for a huge proportion of job-hating.

My company was like this at the start. Totally American in style, if you have 2 seconds extra on your piss break VERBAL WARNING. 1% out of your planned schedule, WRITTEN WARNING.
Do this a few times, and its PIP TIME! And if you get on a PIP, you were a dead man walking unless you turned into the perfect drone.

Then when the upper management started mass redundancies in high profit years, telling us to save money by reducing normal needed stuff, and then giving themselves million $ bonuses,
our local (lower) management suddenly didn't give two fucks what we did. They knew that it wasn't worth burning us out for the the shitheads at the top, or most likely themselves.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you'd like I can share my thoughts on how Untitled Goose Game explains Ben Shapiro.

Hit me

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of your objectives in the second area is to get someone to 'buy back their own stuff.' You achieve this by stealing the kids plane while he's distracted, putting it in the shop with the other toys, and then shooing him toward the shop. When he tries to pick it up he argues with the shopkeeper, who makes him pay for it.

I am normally into playing games morally. I am a big wet child when it comes to videogames and I don't like being mean. But I watched all of that happen, and I was so caught up in feeling clever at my brilliant plan having worked, it temporarily over-rode my sense of morals.

So how this relates to Shapiro is that his voice sounds like an rear end in a top hat loving goose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It was me yeah, this year hasn’t been an especially good one for me if I’m honest.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Sorry dude, that sucks hard. Why not just tell you the reason instead of that mealy-mouthed non-explanation they gave?

I don’t know and it’s really disappointing because up to that point I had a very positive impression of the company.

Another possibility my partner floated was that as I was the first new hire in over 9 years, and that they are a very close knit group of colleagues, that they may have had extremely unrealistic expectations on how a completely new person was going to fit in right away. It was my third day there - normally such early dismissals are for gross misconduct.