Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

a fun way to show people the difference in trends/expectations in football over the years is to point out that Andy Dalton, a thoroughly pedestrian modern quarterback, has stats that compare favorably to Joe Montana's in a lot of ways

That reminds me of this article I read this morning about the interception rate dropping off a cliff: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/02/nfl-interception-rate-decline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SKULL.GIF posted:

Active sumo wrestlers are actually in incredible shape even with all the fat they're carrying. It's only when they stop wrestling and start developing internal fat (as opposed to "external" fat) that it quickly becomes very unhealthy.

Having too much visceral fat is very very very very bad for you.

I wasn't talking so much about the weight. Sumo have terrible chronic injury problems because of the short turnaround for tournaments, and even the CTE is pretty bad due to all the clashing heads on the tachi-ai. Not to mention the head-slaps.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Didn't you basically call this in the offseason or whenever he signed?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SKULL.GIF posted:

That reminds me of this article I read this morning about the interception rate dropping off a cliff: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/02/nfl-interception-rate-decline

Almost every hall of fame qb who played before the 2000s wild have been cut after a few years based on stats alone if they played today.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PupsOfWar posted:

a fun way to show people the difference in trends/expectations in football over the years is to point out that Andy Dalton, a thoroughly pedestrian modern quarterback, has stats that compare favorably to Joe Montana's in a lot of ways

playoff wins :colbert:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

this same ethos is why we will one day be forced to accept awful quarter back thomas brady into the hall of fame

clearly it is flawed

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status/1179775870548008961

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Best. Game. Ever. Mark it!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Plausible.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Raiders are going to run the Philly Special but then gently caress it up completely

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Paul Guenther: See this, John? Nagy really likes to sub in defensive players when his offense is threatening at the goal-line.
John Gruden: *Smiles, chuckles softly to himself* Don't worry about that, Paul.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The exact same thing happened in Green Bay against Deshone Kizer in last year's opener

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Post in discord if you're going to talk about everything you coward

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ZenVulgarity posted:

Post in discord if you're going to talk about everything you coward

What

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
that was a Gerald Evertt TD. The stat sheet lies.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1179930917420314624?s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Darnold gon die

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1179870689215557632

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just wait another week, holy poo poo.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Wrong thread

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
News: Rams/Seahawks don't know how challenge flags works.

Views: Browns/49'ers game gonna be great because if SF wins they maintain lead in the NFC West.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Imagine dying for the Jets

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Traxis posted:

:fireman:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

sirtommygunn posted:

Just wait another week, holy poo poo.

Why? If his spleen is fine, and his conditioning is fine, why wait? From all accounts he's been totally normal for over a week and had a pretty mild case symptoms wise. Granted Gase hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt for his decision making, but if the doctors say he's good to go, let him play.

Obviously, if he is still sick, sluggish, etc., and will get himself hurt out there, he shouldn't play. But it seems like everyone is saying that the only thing they're waiting on is the spleen, and he's been fine otherwise. If that's the case, I don't get the "keep waiting" argument.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 4, 2019

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The issue is that it's entirely possible Darnold can't feel that his spleen is enlarged. One good hit and he could die on the field.

The funny thing would be for Darnold to play this weekend (and do well) then have his spleen rupture when the Jets play the Cowboys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Professor Funk posted:

Why? If his spleen is fine, and his conditioning is fine, why wait? From all accounts he's been totally normal for over a week and had a pretty mild case symptoms wise. Granted Gase hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt for his decision making, but if the doctors say he's good to go, let him play.

General proximity to the Mets has me sure that whatever the wrong decision is the Jets doctors will make it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Android Apocalypse posted:

The issue is that it's entirely possible Darnold can't feel that his spleen is enlarged. One good hit and he could die on the field.

The funny thing would be for Darnold to play this weekend (and do well) then have his spleen rupture when the Jets play the Cowboys.

The doctors are doing medical tests to determine whether his spleen is (or is not) enlarged. It's not up to Darnold, which is the point. Until the doctors say the spleen is fine, he's not playing. Whether Darnold thinks his spleen is enlarged is irrelevant.

I get the "every decision the Jets make is wrong" point (honestly I do) but if his spleen is fine, and he generally feels fine, let him play. If I'm missing something medically, let me know.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 4, 2019

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Traxis posted:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mr big spleen

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Ayyyyy

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

I don't know how my spleen feels so hopefully they use like, an mri.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My litmus test is that if your QB mentions dying on the field he probably shouldn’t play.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You can't trust doctors remotely affiliated with an NFL team

Source: literally every former player, the entire Washington roster

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You can't trust doctors remotely affiliated with an NFL team

Source: literally every former player, the entire Washington roster

I mean they probably do want to avoid immediate death.

They just don't care if you die 5 years later from a decision they made today.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
my favorite post

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I mean they probably do want to avoid immediate death.

They just don't care if you die 5 years later from a decision they made today.

Counterpoint: sending RG3 back on the field with a torn ACL

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I get that reference!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They probably want to kill Darnold so they can secure a tank in an already competitive field of failure.

"Die for Darnold" becomes "Darnold for Die".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No no, it says The Darnold, The

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://discord.gg/ZYFggv

Come join us friend

Shitpost to your hearts content