Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The "I'll just keep openly admitting to crimes so that they're normalized" might work if a) they and right-wing media like Fox weren't clearly in a tailspin over what to do about the allegations, and b) Trump wasn't already blathering about it being a "hoax".

One aspect that has made this scandal so fun to watch is how all of their usual tactics and talking points are utterly falling flat, time after time. That doesn't mean they'll always fail, but this situation feels a lot different to me than the Mueller report. Plus, even if the tactic was to shock the conscience to exhaustion, I think the American people - and probably the Republicans in congress - are getting sick of having to defend this poo poo.

He knows that the Senate won't vote to remove him no matter what, so whatever he does now WILL be normalized.

Edit: phone posting, someone poorer than me pay my taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
So the impeachment thing has been going on for a few days and Trump has already committed his first impeachable offence on live TV... Surely he's not going the distance on this one

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

He wishes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This is the same IRS whistleblower that had been previously reported, but apparently they called up the Washington Post to reiterate they'd filed a whistleblower complaint. They don't appear to reveal any details about it however.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petr posted:

He knows that the Senate won't vote to remove him no matter what, so whatever he does now WILL be normalized.

yeah you need 20 republican votes to convict and i have a hard time finding those even if trump starts openly making a sport of hunting their constituents

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

being brazen and shameless has worked well in the past for trump, it's not like it's a well-thought-out plan it's just him reverting to a strategy that he's comfortable with and the rest of the party playing along

Listening to Rush a bit today showed their strategy: just doubling down and insisting that nothing happened, it's a hoax and etc. Which does still make me afraid of political blowback. Because a not insignificant chunk of the base does think what Rush and Hannity tell them to.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

I regret to inform the thread that Liz Warren is, in fact, a cougar

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1179851099978846209

Welp, she’s got my vote.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hardly a prince, just a regular clown. :preacher:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Petr posted:

Edit: phone posting, someone poorer than me pay my taxes.

But then again, Democrats get to pound this illegality into voters' heads from now until November 3rd or 4th (I forget when election day will be) of next year. So I'm wondering if Senate Republicans are making the calculation that if they get rid of pissbaby now, they can at least cut their losses by saying "Well, we saw the corruption in our party and responded to it". Probably not, but it's a scenario I could see happening.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

It's not $50 a semester at UH 50 years later now I assure you. Not even at the satellite campuses.

No doubt, I just used DU as the example because I happened to look out if interest at the cost of University in my local area .

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1179847922424406018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

beejay posted:

I'm extremely confused by this post. What does a tweet from 1/22/14 have to do with visiting Wyoming now? Even if both were from today, how does that tie together with the "one of the whitest states in the nation" thing?

I'm also mystified by this and need OP to clarify.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Lol UH has been trying to get Warren to plug them for a long time but I don't think this is how they wanted it to happen.

Considering what an incredible sexual deviant Warren is, I don’t think being “plugged” by her is what anyone but the most sophisticated enthusiast of the decadent arts would enjoy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I betcha Wohl is going to try puppetmaster his dumbshit scam by saying he wanted to show there's a double standard about how people treat accused women harassers versus male harassers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Comrade Fakename posted:

Considering what an incredible sexual deviant Warren is, I don’t think being “plugged” by her is what anyone but the most sophisticated enthusiast of the decadent arts would enjoy.

She pegged them for a different type of university.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am very sex positive so I have to support Wohls exploration of his public humiliation fetish.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1179835009022271493
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1179835367035461632
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1179835571201556480

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

we must carefully screen the traitors who leaked information about dear leader to determine if the information, which dear leader confirmed is true, is accurate

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Shifty Pony posted:

Isn't The Villages about as close as it comes to pure boomer Chud?

yes. Its literally a bunch of boomers driving around on golf carts bumping uglies.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

The "I'll just keep openly admitting to crimes so that they're normalized" might work if a) they and right-wing media like Fox weren't clearly in a tailspin over what to do about the allegations, and b) Trump wasn't already blathering about it being a "hoax".

One aspect that has made this scandal so fun to watch is how all of their usual tactics and talking points are utterly falling flat, time after time. That doesn't mean they'll always fail, but this situation feels a lot different to me than the Mueller report. Plus, even if the tactic was to shock the conscience to exhaustion, I think the American people - and probably the Republicans in congress - are getting sick of having to defend this poo poo.
I've said it before, and I still think that the reason this scandal is sticking is because the chuds now have to choose between believing Trump and believing Trump. The Ukraine scandal is a hoax, but also he asked Ukraine to meddle in our elections, but also it was a perfect call where he didn't ask that, but also asking for Ukraine's assistance was totally cool and good because Biden is corrupt.

Fox News et al could get this story into line if they didn't have to contradict Trump, but it's reached a point where it's literally impossible not to do so.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
What bad faith euphemism for "whistleblower" are they going to come up with, because that word has a positive connotation and that will not stand

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cr0y posted:

I am very sex positive so I have to support Wohls exploration of his public humiliation fetish.

The rest of us didn’t consent to it.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I disagree with this. Considering how the President spoke about how he'd like to deal with the whistleblower, that seems more like an opportunity to invite retaliation against them and their sources. And why should there be any concern if the information is biased? If it isn't factual, it isn't factual, and there's nothing for the President to worry about. Innocent people generally don't fear oversight at their jobs.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179859755478634497

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Graham can't be following the news, it doesn't make sense to complain about the whistleblower's methods when Trump is loudly asking other nations on television to investigate his political rivals, one of the main complaints made by the whistleblower.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Here's a random bit of trivia about how Gavin McInnes sucks. If I get some facts wrong, it's because it's been a while since I read about it.

There was an episode of Aqua Team Hunger Force that served as a backdoor pilot for a new show. It was about 3 anthropomorphic pieces of fruit who were Veggie Tales Christian satire. Despite being all evangelical to the ATHF crew, they quickly backslid into drugs and sex. It was an okay episode.

They did try developing it into a series. They swapped the fruit out for sports equipment, but kept the same basic set up. The got back the same voice actors as the episode, Jon Benjamin, David Cross, and Kristen Schaal(who are all funny and talented). But for some reason they decided to shoehorn in a 4th anthropomorphic piece of sports equipment voiced by Gavin McInnes.

It failed. They produced 6 episodes or so, but never showed more than the pilot on Adult Swim.

Gavin McInnes had a blog post up(it might still be up, I'm not going to go searching for it again) where he calls his fellow actors talentless hacks and he was the only thing that show had going for it. Yeah Gavin, you are hilarious and Jon Benjamin doesn't know the first thing about being a successful comedic voice actor :rolleyes:.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lemming posted:

What bad faith euphemism for "whistleblower" are they going to come up with, because that word has a positive connotation and that will not stand

yeah, you'd think they'd have realized they need to change that up by now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lemming posted:

They're going to try to claim "snitch"

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I guess the new strategy for Trump and the GOP is to go whole hog on "yeah I did it, but it's okay because Biden is a crook and it was the only way to stop him"?

I was baffled that they didn't do this from the get go. It's the MO of the entire presidency. I guess all the smart evil people have been fired because it was pretty stupid to do nothing but dither and rage for a week.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
The question is does Trump have an actual strategy in all this? Did he wake up this morning and say, "I'll got out there and normalize my crimes so nobody cares?" Or does he truly not see what the problem is?

The best hope now is Trump, under pressure, commits an offense so blatant that public opinion swings to the point where the Senate can no longer support him. Trump committing crimes on live TV today is a good step forward in achieving this end.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lemming posted:

Traitor

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

They're going to try to claim "snitch"

Snitches still snitch on other criminals, though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

axeil posted:

Oh my god this is hilarious. A++ Twitter game here.

Can someone tell me why this is so funny? I feel dumb :(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Only both spidermans spidermen are trump

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Looks like the packet given to congress yesterday was literally the quo that our genius president gave 400+ million dollars of aid for

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

feedmyleg posted:

Can someone tell me why this is so funny? I feel dumb :(

Some idiots tried to accuse Liz Warren of being a "cougar" who was loving a 24-year old veteran.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dog Friday posted:

The question is does Trump have an actual strategy in all this?

Good one

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I've said it before, and I still think that the reason this scandal is sticking is because the chuds now have to choose between believing Trump and believing Trump.

People who still support Trump at this point just plain don't care if he does crimes and lies & etc.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Nocturtle posted:

Graham can't be following the news, it doesn't make sense to complain about the whistleblower's methods when Trump is loudly asking other nations on television to investigate his political rivals, one of the main complaints made by the whistleblower.

But see, like Rush said, they literally just declare any and all "news" about this FAKE and their base believes that. It's not that they didn't see it, they just cover their eyes and ears and go LALAALALALLA intil it goes away.

EDIT

Or as Rush put it, "the news media IS the Democrats."

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

But then again, Democrats get to pound this illegality into voters' heads from now until November 3rd or 4th (I forget when election day will be) of next year. So I'm wondering if Senate Republicans are making the calculation that if they get rid of pissbaby now, they can at least cut their losses by saying "Well, we saw the corruption in our party and responded to it". Probably not, but it's a scenario I could see happening.
This requires both Mitt Romney and Ted Cruz to give up on ever being President. This requires Mitch McConnell to give up his position as one of the most powerful people in the world. This requires Ben Sasse to do something besides express concern. And even if they did, you're still 16 votes short.

It's not theoretically impossible but...