Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Like, Noura sucks but it wasn't her that got the vote flipped, it was the middle of the tribe who wanted to take over because they didn't like how obviously those other 3 were sitting on top. I do think there were some insecurities involved in targeting Molly, some of the things they said about her being Parv etc were... curious. But big move by Lauren for setting up this flip and putting her faction in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I like Lauren.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Fast Luck posted:

Like, Noura sucks but it wasn't her that got the vote flipped, it was the middle of the tribe who wanted to take over because they didn't like how obviously those other 3 were sitting on top. I do think there were some insecurities involved in targeting Molly, some of the things they said about her being Parv etc were... curious. But big move by Lauren for setting up this flip and putting her faction in power.

It feels dumb though. If everyone knows that 3 people are in control, then... they're not! You can dump two outsiders and still have 5-3!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

curiousCat posted:

It feels dumb though. If everyone knows that 3 people are in control, then... they're not! You can dump two outsiders and still have 5-3!
You cut the heads' off the hydra first and then reexamine the situation after the fact.
There was something brewing between Queen Molly, the guy who would be King and Jack that wasn't really telegraphed to us but it was enough to stage a preemptive coup.

Jason and Noura are still pocket boots moving forward.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No they aren't, they're considered pocket boots for so long until they get the people at the bottom of the next alliance to work with em. I'm saying 100% Nora makes the merge. I'll be surprised if one of the remaining "cool kids" isn't next to go.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

No they aren't, they're considered pocket boots for so long until they get the people at the bottom of the next alliance to work with em. I'm saying 100% Nora makes the merge. I'll be surprised if one of the remaining "cool kids" isn't next to go.
But they are the bottom no matter the grouping and they know it.
Noura for sure because she's so annoying... Jason can squirm his way out.
The King and the Jack are for sure in the cross hairs for next bounce, I agree.
But I don't see Noura making the merge... she's just that annoying.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Noura is going to be the person who, in a tribe swap where her tribe is up 4-3, flips to the other side and makes the merge.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

But I don't see Noura making the merge... she's just that annoying.

When was the last season where the unbearable turd didn't make it to the merge? Plus, once unlikeable turd makes it to merge, they're also prime goats. Being that annoying is a fuckin asset. I don't think it works out if you do it intentionally, but it very often works out if someone is just naturally obnoxious. Hell, she already got them under yoga voodoo. That's a Coach move pretty much.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

I don't have enough fingers to count how many seasons start by systematically voting off anyone interesting or pleasant

rip zane too beautiful for this world

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Did Molly do something wrong? She caught an astonishing amount of heat for being popular after 4 days and not even voting someone out.

I love Noura's mix of crazy and vindictive. Great TV character.

lol @ the ladder ineptitude.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

STAC Goat posted:

Its legitimately a taxing question for me now. AEW or Survivor. Who goes live?

Screw WWE, though.

How did you handle it last night STAC? I ended up watching both on DVR because I fell asleep about 30 seconds into AEW because I was so loving tired.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not STAC but as someone who had the same problem, I watched AEW Live, then watched The Masked Singer and Survivor on DVR. Being able to skip commercials for reality TV owns an awful lot I must say.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

aew live but every other week is pinball league and I won't have time to watch both before bed so prob survivor wed night since it's just an hour then aew on thursday

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Entertainment Weekly interview with Molly had me lol:

EW: Molly, you did not appear to get along with Noura well at all. What was it like living with her out there?

Molly: I think watching the show gives you a very good idea of what living with Noura was like out there.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not STAC but as someone who had the same problem, I watched AEW Live, then watched The Masked Singer and Survivor on DVR. Being able to skip commercials for reality TV owns an awful lot I must say.

Agreed.

Lone Goat posted:

aew live but every other week is pinball league and I won't have time to watch both before bed so prob survivor wed night since it's just an hour then aew on thursday

It's amazing to me just how many shows air on Wednesday that I watch: NXT, AEW, South Park, American Horror Story and Survivor.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Molly's great and it's a bit of a shame she was cut so early, but there are a lot of great players out there (except Noura) so ah well. Might be good to see her back again eventually. I don't think she really did anything wrong, she just didn't have the Elaine luck of having people ready to defend her from the vote.

I think we know that Noura has no chance of winning, so I'm just going to lie back and see if she's gonna just last long enough (re: Natalie Cole), or last way too long.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
As a west-coaster who watches on hulu live, we get the east and west coast feeds of TNT so our plan is to watch AEW at 6 and then survivor at 8, so that might be an option for anyone in a similar spot. Also, absolutely love this season so far even if it seems kind of bad. I think noura is a major fuckin goof and obviously as viewers we get like 5% of what's actually happening but i'm really impressed that the votes came together to get molly out. I guess (as Fast Luck said) you can only be SO OBVIOUS about a group of three "in power" in a ten-player tribe.

I like this season enough, rob and sandra are great, wish they would stop spoiling the episodes IN THE EPISODES but, whatever. it's tiding me over until s40.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really like it when people not on the top realize that an "easy vote" is only good for people at the top of the pecking order.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
highly highly disagree but I guess that's just my general read on Survivor as a concept kupo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Weird how the only watchable part of the episode is Rob and Sandra.

No one cares about spices that much. That super comes off as “take two”

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zesty posted:

ironic post from user "Zesty"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Molly's great and it's a bit of a shame she was cut so early, but there are a lot of great players out there (except Noura) so ah well. Might be good to see her back again eventually.

Aside from Franny, have any first boots been on the show again? First boots on their returnee season don't count.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

curiousCat posted:

highly highly disagree but I guess that's just my general read on Survivor as a concept kupo

What's your take?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Her take was this:

curiousCat posted:

It's a good point... The move wasn't really necessary. I don't know if they were really just that afraid of Molly, or just that eager to make a move, but it does leave their tribe a bit more openly fractured than it otherwise would've been and leaves an obnoxious weirdo around too.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Those three seemed a lot tighter than the others in the tribe, and I can see them wanting to break that crew up early before they get a hold on things.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Zesty posted:

I would lose my loving mind if I got JUST tabasco as a reward.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I guess I kind of understand why you'd target a person you think has a scary social game... but "all of the guys around her finger" ended up being literally just 2 people. They hadn't even voted someone out yet!! I think this was a huge mistake for the middle of the tribe, like Kellee and Tommy. Like, were Kellee and Tommy THAT intimidated by Molly??

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

Aside from Franny, have any first boots been on the show again? First boots on their returnee season don't count.

After Francesca, I think the earliest returns were Kelly Wentworth (5th voted out) and Monica Culpepper (4th voted out, 5th eliminated due to the first boot being a medevac).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zesty posted:

Naw, even Jeff seemed taken aback. Maybe they were all a bit eager for a big reaction, but straight up, spices is one of the best rewards. If anything it's just kind of early, two days isn't really long enough to get sick of coconut and rice. Coconut and rice are loving delicious, but anything gets old after too much of it for a while.

Question for you Masked Singer fans, are y'all just suckers for singing competitions or does that show specifically do something interesting beyond that? Obviously they mask the singer, but other than it's just people singing right? It keeps coming up here, usually in the same breathe as wrestling, which I don't watch but understand watching. I'm just curious and it keeps coming up in this thread, in that manner. If it's masked singers duking it out, that'd make a lot of sense, but if it's just people singing idgi

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 4, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

it only comes up in the same breath as wrestling because they're all on at the same time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

Naw, even Jeff seemed taken aback. Maybe they were all a bit eager for a big reaction, but straight up, spices is one of the best rewards. If anything it's just kind of early, two days isn't really long enough to get sick of coconut and rice. Coconut and rice are loving delicious, but anything gets old after too much of it for a while.

Question for you Masked Singer fans, are y'all just suckers for singing competitions or does that show specifically do something interesting beyond that? Obviously they mask the singer, but other than it's just people singing right? It keeps coming up here, usually in the same breathe as wrestling, which I don't watch but understand watching. I'm just curious and it keeps coming up in this thread, in that manner. If it's masked singers duking it out, that'd make a lot of sense, but if it's just people singing idgi

It's fun to try and guess who's behind the mask and also see famous people just sort of let loose because nobody knows it's them. The whole show just sort of has this addictive energy to it that I've never really got from other competitions, it's more of a talent show vibe than a competition since I don't think there's an actual prize other than a trophy.

Also what other show is gonna give me a chance to hear Gladys Knight sing songs by Sia, Bruno Mars and Miley Cyrus

edited in some video links

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 4, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks for the answers, that actually makes a lot of sense. Also, this bee costume is loving dope as hell, I love costume design and I'll pay for the DLC for whatever videogame it should end up in. The novelty of distinct singer singing other distinct singers' music is itself way more entertaining to me than people competing to sing as good as your mom.

Someone should tell the judges it's rude to talk over someone's performance, though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
“Dang they played her rear end.” Sandra earning that money with the introspective analysis.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

Jeff knows they're making a TV Show and we always hear of ways he got really pissed at contestants for not respecting that. I can absolutely see people lightly clapping and kind of "whatever!" faced about it and then Jeff demanding another take where people actually look excited and then he reacts to that for the show.

This show is also trying to convince us Rob and Sandra are just hanging out on that island 24/7 waiting for contestants to teach. Even Rob C has said that's the case as far as he knows. :rolleyes:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 4, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Jeff knows they're making a TV Show and we always hear of ways he got really pissed at contestants for not respecting that. I can absolutely see people lightly clapping and kind of "whatever!" faced about it and then Jeff demanding another take where people actually look excited and then he reacts to that for the show.

Yeah maybe but that's not how it strikes me. I totally believe that he gets pissed about people not respecting what they're trying to accomplish, mind you. I just don't think he would want something that fake on the screen. There are 24-36 hours to edit into 45 minutes - there's plenty to show without resorting to that. I know they can redo stuff like "come on in guys" scenes when things go sideways, but this is different.

I could be wrong. I just think Jeff loves the thing too much

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I know he's biased in his own way, but I've been listening to Shane Power's podcast for a few months now. He is not shy about dishing dirt on how much of a little shitfit Jeff gets into when people don't cooperate with what he wants. and I hear a lot of the same here and there from more recent Survivors.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Zesty posted:

This show is also trying to convince us Rob and Sandra are just hanging out on that island 24/7 waiting for contestants to teach. Even Rob C has said that's the case as far as he knows. :rolleyes:

i know this is impossible but i would love if they somehow just had spent the first 10 days there and saw someone new every day and then just dipped to ponderosa (or wherever to prepare for s40) and they just flickered it through the full 39 days with clever editing

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Zesty posted:

I know he's biased in his own way, but I've been listening to Shane Power's podcast for a few months now. He is not shy about dishing dirt on how much of a little shitfit Jeff gets into when people don't cooperate with what he wants. and I hear a lot of the same here and there from more recent Survivors.

Any specific examples that standout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wish I had citations for you, because it’s mostly a line or two buried in an several long hour interview. And it’s stuff contestants are mostly not allowed to talk about because its background production which has an NDA of five years.

Shane talked about a challenge they were doing where your objective was to spell out a sentence using blocks. His team’s blocks were different than the other team’s blocks and impossible to solve because of it. When his team pointed it out, Jeff went on a long angry tirade about how they’re always trying to muck up their show and never willing to play ball and yahta yahta yahta until they actually checked the blocks and realized they hosed up. He apologized.

Corinne’s podcast had a lot of hidden gems too but man the rest of that podcast was hard to sift through.

Does anyone remember who talked about Jeff cussing people out at tribal for being vague and trying to protect their games? Maybe that one just comes up a lot from so many people.

The point is is that they are making a TV show. They know they’re making a TV Show. Conversations get re-shot. Unflattering moments of production get cut. Things get edited to tell a story.

No one has ever been that excited for the spices reward and it’s not the first time this season where reactions seemed disingenuous and exaggerated.