Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol loving called it the Heil is starting to pump out articles making Harry and Meghan look bad based on every single ridiculous thing that happens

1940: notable anti-landlord drunk bastard Churchill becomes PM. He would later be used to justify Plucky Britan Spirit foreverially

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They should write less articles about Meghan and Harry and more about the Prince of Nonces

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I don’t know and it’s really disappointing because up to that point I had a very positive impression of the company.

Another possibility my partner floated was that as I was the first new hire in over 9 years, and that they are a very close knit group of colleagues, that they may have had extremely unrealistic expectations on how a completely new person was going to fit in right away. It was my third day there - normally such early dismissals are for gross misconduct.

Your partner is probably right, although I'll add that they've still behaved like huge cliquey arseholes, so don't agonise over it. Unless you were screaming racial slurs or making GBS threads up the walls, there's no way any reasonable person could determine whether or not you're a "good fit" after only 2 days.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
We had a new starter fired very recently too, as HR had told her that her visa expiring was fine, they could sort her out, but actually, get tae gently caress. Very intelligent woman as well but oops, foreign, let's not let her be an asset to the team.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I can totally see those activity tracking dongles being used in Sales departments, because those hellholes are the loving worst.

Also, having that level of authority over someone must surely be somehow illegal in a roundabout way. Then again, if it came up as part of a contract, I'd poo poo on the desk, wipe my arse with the contract and leave, taking as many mints from the reception as possible.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It was me yeah, this year hasn’t been an especially good one for me if I’m honest.

I don’t know and it’s really disappointing because up to that point I had a very positive impression of the company.

Another possibility my partner floated was that as I was the first new hire in over 9 years, and that they are a very close knit group of colleagues, that they may have had extremely unrealistic expectations on how a completely new person was going to fit in right away. It was my third day there - normally such early dismissals are for gross misconduct.

It could be any one of a number of things. It could be that they had a candidate they preferred who suddenly became available, could be that the higher ups actually decided they could cope with one less person doing your role to save money, or any other bullshit thing.

If they're gonna do that to you, they're probably cunts and you may have dodged a bullet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

1940: notable anti-landlord drunk bastard Churchill becomes PM. He would later be used to justify Plucky Britan Spirit foreverially
Hey Pochoclo, do you know anything about Julio Cabrera?

I ask not because all Argentinians know each other but because he's supposedly a big modern Schopenhauerian, but that can mean anything from "studies pessimism and the ethics of reducing human suffering" to "is actual Third Reich leader Adolf Hitler in a wig" and I wanted to check that he's not beloved by fash in Argentina or something before I invest any time into investigating his views.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

Hey Pochoclo, do you know anything about Julio Cabrera?

I ask not because all Argentinians know each other but because he's supposedly a big modern Schopenhauerian, but that can mean anything from "studies pessimism and the ethics of reducing human suffering" to "is actual Third Reich leader Adolf Hitler in a wig" and I wanted to check that he's not beloved by fash in Argentina or something before I invest any time into investigating his views.

No, sorry, I am not familiar with him at all, but Argentinian fash don’t read philosophers, they just masturbate to the thought of the military dictatorships coming back and literally praise Hitler and are antisemitic and racist as all gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ok, thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving eyeballs to the Argentinian Jordan Peterson (Jordán Pedroson?) or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Probably not Jordán Pedroson posted:

As Wittgenstein would point out, the word "poor" does not have an absolute reference, but acquires its meaning in reference to specific language games, in which it acquires its reference to the world dynamically. The poverty to which Marx referred does not necessarily diminish by extending the benefits to the workers within the alienated society. A well-paid slave remains a slave and therefore alienated and poor in the Marxian sense.

Okay, I think I like this guy. Not even gone off on a rant about how Jews ruined art yet, so hopefully gone down the good path from Schopenhauer. (Although maybe he saved that for his book on cinema. :ohdear:)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I've decided I hate letterboxes with little brushes in them

Good man!

I got this weird huge coat with covered pockets big enough to hold the stack of envelopes so you have an extra hand to get the particular envelope in with, but now I hate my dog. No excuse not to take him with me now but as soon as we get to an obnoxious letterbox he always seems to smell something interesting and I'm back to one-handing it again ooh err.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So I have been sacked from the new job I started. In the middle of an afternoon training session with another manager my line manager comes in and explains that due to some “comments I’ve made” some “concerns had been raised” and “they felt I wasn’t the same person that I came across as in my interview” and that “I wasn’t going to be a good fit”. Leaving them with no choice but to let me go.

I’m frankly at a loss as to what these comments were, as I’m very careful about what I say to whom in a new job for obvious reasons. From my perspective everything was going extremely well and I was getting on with everyone and picking things up nicely. She refused to elaborate when I asked what these comments were, saying only that “I was on probation, the decision has been made and they have no wish to discuss it further.”

I cant help but think the other woman in the part of the office I was in simply didn’t like me and badmouthed me to our manager.

I’ve been in touch with my old boss and can probably get my old job back, but still, what a loving waste of everyone’s time.

Yeah I think this is one of those things where legally, you are allowed to call them out and ask for the exact reasoning they used to make the decision otherwise it's unfair dismissal, but also legally, thanks to the Tories, you can't actually take them to court if they don't tell you because you haven't been there long enough. Morally, if they are going to act like that, then you didn't want to work for them anyway, but it's not justice in any sense.

I feel a bit awkward because I posted a couple of months ago about being made redundant but I'm now 1 week into a new job, and although it's a much nicer place to work, pays better and the whole atmosphere about the place is more positive, I'm still on probation right now and can't forget the time I was let go after 9 months of probation. Here's hoping things work out for you either at your old job or something else.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1179757686042320898

and, separate issue:

https://twitter.com/shirleyGTTO/status/1179687500295655424

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/PeterRNeumann/status/1179824942021566468

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So here's @michaelgove standing next to Luftwaffe band
You know if ever there were a UK MP who would enthusiastically approve a hydrazine and high test peroxide fired plane that often exploded or immolated the ground crew because it looked impressive and furthered the cause of nationalism I think it would be Gove. Or Spiderman. Or Patel.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Maybe Gove saw the future, where the EU will be shooting UK refugees to prevent them crossing the border.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Podcasting is Pracis - Episode 7 - Atomic Kitten Malthusian is up for you listening pleasure!

Sorry for the wait, I got caught up in other poo poo today, but at least it's there for your commutes tomorrow!

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 3, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Podcasting is Pracis - Episode 8 - Atomic Kitten Malthusian is up for you listening pleasure!

Sorry for the wait, I got caught up in other poo poo today, but at least it's there for your commutes tomorrow!

Self care first.

And anyway, out in time for Friday commute is the important point :p

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Podcasting is Pracis - Episode 8 - Atomic Kitten Malthusian is up for you listening pleasure!

I'm off tomorrow, but I'll try to find the time anyway

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

WhatEvil posted:

They're probably cunts and you may have dodged a bullet.

There's something fishy for sure. You always give people room for a few wobbles while they get settled in. It's too much drat effort to find good people to go around binning recruits because they only met 80% of your expectations on day 1.
If you're unfit for the role, their interview process should have picked that up. That it didn't means they can't express fitness or unfitness in a way that can be measured in the interview. Which means they can't do it in the job either, so anyone in the role is doomed to failure.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Oh Christ, now people will know what I sound like.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Perchance you mean Episode 7 in the description - I was wondering what happened to 7 when I saw it posted here as 8!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

We've recorded 8 episodes (excluding The Lost Episode (:rip:)) but only released 7.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

#ReleaseTheLostEpisode

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

The Lost Episode unfortunately is unlistenable due to a problem with one of the recordings.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
have someone re-record the missing one in a comedy voice

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

CoolCab posted:

have someone re-record the missing one in a comedy voice

Finally adding the much desired "comedy" element to the podcast.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Look, it's been a long day okay < :mad: >

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Firos posted:

Finally adding the much desired "comedy" element to the podcast.

I just find the idea of a political discussion where one of the participants is Goofy and no one reacts to it kind of charming.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

While I'm still up, Goonmeet on Saturday at the Counting House, Glasgow between 12 and 1, we'll go somewhere better once everyone's turned up

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

Like there's a few thousand houses in the country that look like this:

where only the back bit has water pipes.

Living in one of these, yeah, there's nowhere you could put a second loo at all.

Also the kitchen is hilariously tiny, standing room for one person.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the inwards opening kitchen door is the worst poo poo. Inwards opening front door makes sense, because it goes straight out onto the street in my case (although that floor plan has an outward opening front door so wtf), but the inward opening kitchens door in a narrow kitchen just cuts off half the kitchen and you can't get outside with an arm full of bin bags.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

And the inwards opening kitchen door is the worst poo poo. Inwards opening front door makes sense, because it goes straight out onto the street in my case (although that floor plan has an outward opening front door so wtf), but the inward opening kitchens door in a narrow kitchen just cuts off half the kitchen and you can't get outside with an arm full of bin bags.

Something I hate about a lot of small British houses is the front room opening directly on to the street.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think if there's one structural modification that I can't make that I'd like it's having a little porch and stoop to come in without a ton of winter air.
I think that's maybe partly why there was the whole attitude of "you only use the front door three times, and you're carried for each of them" attitude among my nan's generation, but gently caress using the jitty all the time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I think if there's one structural modification that I can't make that I'd like it's having a little porch and stoop to come in without a ton of winter air.
I think that's maybe partly why there was the whole attitude of "you only use the front door three times, and you're carried for each of them" attitude among my nan's generation, but gently caress using the jitty all the time.

This is real obscure UK slang hours

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah jitty is a new one for me too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looking it up, I think it's supposed to be 'gitty', but I'd associate that with the personal quality of 'being a git' rather than the supposedly real spelling of a jitty.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Good to know when hedgewalkin'

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Jitty is midlands for ginnel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I had just assumed 'on the jitty' was some kind of slang for welfare.