Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Continuity RCP posted:

It's still not the royal army

It's never going to matter but you don't think "I and everyone I serve with had to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen before I could be a soldier" is more personally significant than "I'm in the Royal Army*"

*There's good odds I'm in a Royal Regiment though.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s been that way since *checks wikipedia* 1689 so I don’t think it matters too much in practice?

The entire reason England had a standing army at that time was so that parliament couldn’t try going full Cromwell again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Canadian Army was called the Royal Canadian Army for a long time too.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Re: the new helicopter proposal, how large do you think "lift-sharing wings" can get before the USAF starts angrily muttering and shifting in their chairs?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neophyte posted:

Re: the new helicopter proposal, how large do you think "lift-sharing wings" can get before the USAF starts angrily muttering and shifting in their chairs?
It's a huge trick. The Army is building a strategic bomber with a little beanie spinner on top.

Long live the USAAC!

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Deptfordx posted:

It's never going to matter but you don't think "I and everyone I serve with had to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen before I could be a soldier" is more personally significant than "I'm in the Royal Army*"

*There's good odds I'm in a Royal Regiment though.

Continuity RCP posted:

It's still not the royal army

The oath of allegiance for British Armed forces solely comprises of declaring one's loyalty to the queen and her heirs in perpetuity.
Nothing about defending the nation state or its people.
All about loyalty to queen Lizzy and her heirs.

Very much raised my ears when I heard it in person for the first time, not at all something I expected.
Actually on reading it seems rather messed up in civic priorities for a current 21st century oath of allegiance in a contemporary nation state.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Allegiance_(United_Kingdom)

quote:

I... swear by Almighty God (do solemnly, and truly declare and affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the (admirals / generals/ air officers) and officers set over me.

Mr Crustacean fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 3, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
paratrooping: still ineffective

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

At least it's fun

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Crustacean posted:

The oath of allegiance for British Armed forces solely comprises of declaring one's loyalty to the queen and her heirs in perpetuity.
Nothing about defending the nation state or its people.
All about loyalty to queen Lizzy and her heirs.

Very much raised my ears when I heard it in person for the first time, not at all something I expected.
Actually on reading it seems rather messed up in civic priorities for a current 21st century oath of allegiance in a contemporary nation state.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Allegiance_(United_Kingdom)

“Crown” represents the entire government. Basically the UK is weird.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cool article on environmental problems caused by the Donbas war

https://www.fpri.org/article/2019/09/coal-mines-land-mines-and-nuclear-bombs-the-environmental-cost-of-the-war-in-eastern-ukraine/

quote:

Perhaps most worrying is the state of the YunKom Mine, where in 1979 Soviet scientists set off an underground nuclear explosion in the hope of clearing gases from deep in the mine.

They're gonna end up with another exclusion zone

quote:

If these assessments are correct and runoff from this mine adds nuclear contamination to the salts and other contaminants already being deposited into the water table, the water supply of the region could become so contaminated as to be permanently undrinkable within two decades.

Someone make some sort of :Sovietdowns3.6 roentgen: smiley

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 3, 2019

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Tape recordings of D-Day were uncovered and restored:
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/the-antique-audiotape-was-a-mystery-then-a-researcher-got-it-to-play-it-was-a-dispatch-from-d-day-1.601363

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

https://www.fpri.org/article/2019/09/coal-mines-land-mines-and-nuclear-bombs-the-environmental-cost-of-the-war-in-eastern-ukraine/

Why Russia allow to be a nuclear power again?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Back Hack posted:

I assume theres a cool russian expression for "molon labe"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Cyka blyat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Strange how thats always the answer!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Back Hack posted:

Because they’re a nuclear power.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hobbesmaster posted:

После нас - тишина

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Back Hack posted:

Tankies, basically, though they would have gotten their on their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_atomic_bomb_project#Espionage

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Kesper North posted:

Tankies, basically, though they would have gotten their on their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_atomic_bomb_project#Espionage

You can't be a tankie before the Hungarian Uprising.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Sure you can, because Molotov-Ribbentrop happened in 1939. And the Holodomor before that. Walter Duranty was the original tankie.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mortabis posted:

Sure you can, because Molotov-Ribbentrop happened in 1939. And the Holodomor before that. Walter Duranty was the original tankie.

Did Walter have a tank?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Stalinist is not synonymous with tankie

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Continuity RCP posted:

And yet like "Libertarian" and "pedophile" it is two venn circles that mostly overlap.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Continuity RCP posted:

Wait I literally thought you made a joke about the tanks crushing the hungarian revolt, giving tankies their eponym. Not arguing the semantics of communist dictatorial apologists

It's me, I'm the dumb one :aaa:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Wait I literally thought you made a joke about the tanks crushing the hungarian revolt, giving tankies their eponym. Not arguing the semantics of communist dictatorial apologists

It's me, I'm the dumb one :aaa:

Is that you, ThisIsJohnWayne. Is this me?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

“Crown” represents the entire government. Basically the UK is weird.

Also, they may swear allegiance to the Queen but they get paid by parliament, which has to legislate every five years to allow the Army to continue to exist -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Act

Newfangled notions such as 'nation states' and 'the People' largely post date this whole arrangement by a century or so, of course.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

There's not a useful distinction. It's not like Stalin's methods were a big mystery contemporaneously. Orwell wrote about them in the 40s. And it's kinda the inevitable end state of communism in any case, as Solzhenitsyn lays out rather nicely.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
In fairness I think the term did originate with the Hungarian Revolution.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 3, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I mean, what? Why not solve that problem with a suborbital ballistic flight mode?

This isn't a USMC program.

Neophyte posted:

They won't fly high enough for the AF to care.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hauldren Collider posted:

There's not a useful distinction. It's not like Stalin's methods were a big mystery contemporaneously. Orwell wrote about them in the 40s. And it's kinda the inevitable end state of communism in any case, as Solzhenitsyn lays out rather nicely.

Solzhenitsyn provided an excellent criticism of a system that had ceased to exist long before The Gulag Archipelago was published. Moshe Lewin's The Soviet Century has a good chapter on the Soviet penal system.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

..Stalinism in the governance of the Soviet Union didn't outlast Stalin my dude. The end state of Soviet communism was about 1990 and it explicitly involved NOT sending tanks into client states to restore obedience.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 4, 2019

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

Speaking of nuclear testing, North Korea may not have handled their's with rigorous modern safety standards.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

feedmegin posted:

Also, they may swear allegiance to the Queen but they get paid by parliament, which has to legislate every five years to allow the Army to continue to exist -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Act

Newfangled notions such as 'nation states' and 'the People' largely post date this whole arrangement by a century or so, of course.

As has been mentioned, trying to make logical sense of the (very effective!) shared hallucination that is the British Constitution is probably futile. That said, the power to declare war remains vested in the monarch, albeit of course exercised by her ministers. Parliament's consent is not required.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

Solzhenitsyn provided an excellent criticism of a system that had ceased to exist long before The Gulag Archipelago was published. Moshe Lewin's The Soviet Century has a good chapter on the Soviet penal system.

:thunk:

I guess this is on me and I should have looked at your avatar first. It's like arguing with a fundamentalist about evolution.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't remember if it was this thread or some other thread but someone posted an absolutely awesome piece of revisionism explaining how gulags were actually quite pleasant, something more akin to a country spa

I think we should all remember the true history of the gulag

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Re: helicopters with wings. What are the downsides--why haven't they been explored or used before?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

bewbies posted:

I can't remember if it was this thread or some other thread but someone posted an absolutely awesome piece of revisionism explaining how gulags were actually quite pleasant, something more akin to a country spa

I think we should all remember the true history of the gulag

Milhist thread, pretty sure.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I guess this is on me and I should have looked at your avatar first. It's like arguing with a fundamentalist about evolution.

Eh, I find it hard to dismiss someone outright when they appreciate Solzhenitsyn. Then again, the Gulag Archipelago was published far after the fact because he was scared the Organs had caught wind of it. Torched the thing and started over.

Lenin was a pussy. Couldn't even roll up on a motherfucker and do the business hisself, but made sure as many people suffered as possible.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I'm not a Marxist. Are you actually a collider of hauldrens?

E: read The Soviet Century

E2: is it on topic to reenact a cold war argument?

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re: helicopters with wings. What are the downsides--why haven't they been explored or used before?

:ussr: