Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

HM: Cody vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Dynamite, 02/10
MOTYC: Nyla Rose vs. Riho, AEW Dynamite, 02/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: KENTA vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW Destruction, 16/09

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
MOTYC: Mei Suruga vs Lulu Pencil, Gatoh Move, 29th September 2019

There's probably about five people on this world that are high on this match as I am; but this is up there on my favourite matches of this year - there are a few Gatoh Move matches I'd have to think about (Emi Sakura-Riho from Riho's farewell show; the Mei Suruga-Emi Sakura match from the one night tournament in May and I've not yet watched the Mei Suruga-Riho Title match yet since I've not watched the DVD but it has to be good) but this is unironically up there with them.

To explain for non-Gatoh Move fans: Mei Suruga is the young up and comer that's clearly the person that they're going to build the company around in the future. Her 'graduation' from rookie status there was earlier this year: with a victory over company owner and trainer Emi Sakura in May, followed by a hard-fought loss against Riho in June; and then her being clearly presented as one of the people that trained the new rookies, of which Lulu Pencil is one of them. Apparently she was in charge for this show since Emi Sakura was in the UK at EVE: which is funny since I imagine one year pro 20 year old 4 foot 10 Mei Suruga trying to boss around long-time pros Masahiro Takanashi and Antonio Honda. Her style is very fast paced: she uses the unique location that Ichiyaga Chocolate Square is to peak advantage in almost every match and I'd argue that having to work without a ring most of the time is to her advantage: it means that she has to be more creative with her offence and also rely more on things like making basic mat wrestling exciting which I like. She's someone who has everything: star presence, charisma, in-ring work and should be a star in wrestling.

Lulu Pencil... is slightly different. A free-lance writer who didn't do anything physically active before starting to attend the Daredemo classes (which is an open-to-all pro wrestling school ran by Gatoh Move); she debuted in August at the start of the new era of Gatoh Move although really she won the hearts of everyone (well at least the corner of Western Wrestling twitter that follows Gatoh Move) in a series of pre-debut exhibition matches where she lost 8-0 in basically a three minute Ironman match tapping out to wrist locks and all sort of things. Her character is that she's endearingly bad at pro wrestling: they've taken her physical disadvantages and just ran with it and it rules. And it clearly worked - basically everyone that went to speak to Emi Sakura after the EVE show mentioned how much that they loved Lulu Pencil and her matches seem to draw international viewership numbers to the point where they mention it all of the time on commentary and Emi tweeted it out: which I think Lulu found a rather humbling thing.

Which leads to this match: the future ace against the comedy wrestler: most people would make this a short and sweet match; but not Gatoh Move where it goes within seconds of the 10 minute time limit. What makes it a great match to me is just that its so incredibly entertaining in that uniquely Gatoh Move way: there's a spot early on where Lulu Pencil chases Mei Suruga around the back to the window (if you've never seen Gatoh Move this probably makes no sense) and Mei expertly jumps onto the ledge and does a forward roll back onto the mat while Lulu gingerly tries to climb onto the ledge and then loses her balance and falls over the ledge; half in and half out. The story of the match is basically that: Mei is the experienced veteran: the superior talent who's in control for most of the match but Lulu Pencil, usually by luck more than skill, manages to come back at short periods and even manages to get a near fall late in the match which is a first. It takes the deadly drop kick for Lulu Pencil to lose: a hard-fought contest that demonstrated the fighting spirit of the rookie. Its also a match where the commentary helps it: Pumi comes out with some great lines that help to sell the story of this match. The key thing that makes this work is that inherent clumsiness that she has that they're pushing: there are other wrestlers that have that (Sakura Hirota is a big one) but few where it feels as raw and as real as it does here and that's perhaps because it is: its an entirely self-aware thing that she's never going to be the best wrestler ever but to work with what you have. And its the joy of Gatoh Move: the same system that developed Mei Suruga, one of the best one wrestlers around who debuted after two months of training and was immediately great, is open to all so you get people like Lulu who're never going to debut in any other Joshi company; but within the Gatoh Move system it just works.

If you're not a fan of short comedy matches; or Gatoh Move then you'll not like this match. Some will say that comparing this match to big main event level things isn't fair and that they are better - but I'd argue that this match suits being nominated since it entertained me more than almost any other match I've seen this year.

Holy poo poo I went long: but I just had a lot to say about this match: please give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMu1NMX4xQ

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

2nd

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
MOTYC: Riho vs Nyla Rose, AEW World Women's Championship, AEW Dynamite, 3rd October 2019

Not going to go into massive detail on this since pretty much everyone has seen it: I will just say that it feels so special to see two wrestlers that I've watched a load in tiny small buildings in Japan be in this big a match in a major arena and for them to win the crowd over was great. People elsewhere were talking about 'botches' and there was one very awkward moment which I think they did a good job recovering from but other than that it seemed fine: perhaps slightly messy but its a fight: they shouldn't be entirely smooth. Riho winning was very special and that's something that'll live on in my mind.

The other thing is something that someone on twitter said about this match: it stands out significantly to me that the Joshi wrestlers who work WWE matches feel like they're trying to work a totally different style to what they are used to and it makes all of those matches big let downs to someone who's used to that style (especially main roster stuff): here they clearly let the two put together a match that they wanted with a time and a finish. And that's the difference between AEW and WWE in my eyes and why I get super nervous and annoyed when WWE sign, say, Sareee while if AEW did I'd care less: the latter in these matches have earned the trust that they'll at least do good matches with their Japanese talent and I love that. Shockingly it works better at taking a tepid crowd and making them very hot if you let the two wrestlers put together their own match.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Kazuchika Okada, New Japan Cup 3/20
MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, New Japan Cup 3/21

HM: Ortiz & Santana vs. Penta El Zero M & Rey Fenix vs. Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz, PWG Two Hundred (3/1)
HM: Bandido vs. Jeff Cobb, PWG Two Hundred (3/1)
HM: Jonathan Gresham vs. Jeff Cobb, PWG Mystery Vortex VI (5/10)
HM: Darby Allin vs. Joey Janela, PWG Mystery Vortex VI (5/10)
HM: Brody King vs. Jake Atlas vs. Trent, PWG Mystery Vortex VI (5/10)
HM: Tony Deppen vs. Trey Miguel, PWG Mystery Vortex VI (5/10)
HM: Flamita & Rey Horus vs. Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz, PWG Mystery Vortex VI (5/10)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

3rding this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IceAgeComing posted:

Holy poo poo I went long: but I just had a lot to say about this match: please give it a go.

I won't go so far as to nominate it myself, but I just wanna say I really enjoyed watching this, the time flew by and it was infectious just how much fun everybody involved (including the ref!) was having, all smiles the entire way through :)

I genuinely thought Lulu reversing into a pinfall of her own was a legit cool transition, and I lost it at the commentator saying,"Everything is difficult for Lulupencil. I don't know why."

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

jesus WEP posted:

HM: Riho vs Nyla Rose, AEW Dynamite, 2nd October

YUP. i think this match has already made it to the promised land but this was a star making performance

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WMOTYC: Kofi Kingston vs Brock Lesnar, WWE Smackdown, 10/4/19.

Typing out that nomination and this statement took longer than the actual match itself. Never forget Kofi.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

Typing out that nomination and this statement took longer than the actual match itself. Never forget Kofi.

yup, nth

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

Kofi might have not had the most exciting reign, but for it to end like that is total garbage, Nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

4thed. Just loving awful.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

5thed. Vince’s death date should become a national holiday.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Nth lmfao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's our first successful WMOTY nomination in close to 4 months, and the last one was ALSO a match for a top WWE title :thunk:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That's our first successful WMOTY nomination in close to 4 months, and the last one was ALSO a match for a top WWE title :thunk:

https://twitter.com/wwerollins/status/1142930605925175302?lang=en

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MOTYC: Brock Lesnar vs Kofi Kingston: WWE Smackdown

Finally killing the last remnants of my desire to ever watch WWE programming is an unambiguous moral good

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Hm: Templario v Soberano Jr - CMLL 9/3

Just a fun 1 fall undercard match by two of the best Midcard CMLL guys. Both guys hit most of their big stuff good and it’s looking to set up a bigger match. Good stuff!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

DarkstarIV posted:

Unnecessary Nth.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, life comes at you fast

IceAgeComing posted:

I'll give this a HM. It's not something I'd consider for match of the year, but it was very fun and I enjoyed watching it. I hope other people enjoy watching it. :unsmith:

Some more votes.

MOTYC: Black Taurus, Laredo Kid & Puma King vs. Bandido , Flamita & Rey Horus, PWG Sixteen (7/26) - I haven't seen any of BOLA yet, but this is my pick for PWG's best match of the year and probably lucha match of the year. Just a crazy, crazy match with all kinds of insane spots.
MOTYC: SANADA vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, New Japan Cup 3/23 - Tanahashi is so loving good and every match he's in is just so smart. Sanada winning near his hometown was a great moment.

HM: Masaya Takahashi vs. Ryuji Ito, BJW Dragon Blood 1/14 - I still struggle with deathmatches, but I connected with this one a little more than usual.
HM: Joey Janela vs. Jungle Boy, PWG Sixteen (7/26) - underneath all of his crazy spots and charisma, Janela's also a good technical wrestler. He and Jungle Boy paired off well here
HM: Ortiz & Santana vs. Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz, PWG Sixteen (7/26) - I have to admit, I was a little underwhelmed on this one. It's a ladder match for the tag titles. I expected a whole lot of crazy spots, and while there were some, it was definitely overshadowed by the trios match on the same show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

:rip:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's literally baffling, because now who the gently caress could possibly care about the belt, and who is remotely credible to take down Brock or Cain? Say what you will about the reactions, they've booked Kofi right in the sense he was put over strong and clean most of the time over top guys like Bryan, Orton and KO.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gaz-L posted:

It's literally baffling, because now who the gently caress could possibly care about the belt, and who is remotely credible to take down Brock or Cain?

Best in the World, Shane McMahon.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Royal Rumble 2020 winner Roman Reigns obviously

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

MBS is getting a belt

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

HM: Team Quack Attack vs. The Colony, King of Trios 2019 Night 1 10/4/19

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Soberano Jr. vs. Templario, CMLL on Marca (9/20) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uePXsQ0Vbvg&t=3720s
HM: Ryouji Sai vs. Zeus, AJPW Champion Carnival 4/14
HM: Kento Miyahara vs. Shuji Ishikawa, AJPW Champion Carnival 4/14
HM: Kento Miyahara vs. Yuma Aoyagi, AJPW Champion Carnival 4/17
HM: Dylan James vs. Yuji Okabayashi, AJPW Champion Carnival 4/20

The best of these were the last two. Soberano & Templario did a good job of building to a future match. Miyahara's so great. James/Okabayashi is a very BEEFy match.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MOTYC: Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks, WWE Hell in a Cell, 10/6

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
HM: Becky Lynch v Sasha Banks, Hell in a Cell, 10/6/19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ShadowedFlames posted:

HM: Becky Lynch v Sasha Banks, Hell in a Cell, 10/6/19

Agreed. I was very pleasantly surprised by the match and I shouldn't have been, they've always had good chemistry.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nth

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: Daniel Bryan & Roman Reigns vs. Harper & Rowan, WWE Hell In A Cell, 10/6

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’m a sucker for a good Tornado Tag bout. Second.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Heck yeah nth

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Gavok posted:

HM: Team Quack Attack vs. The Colony, King of Trios 2019 Night 1 10/4/19

2nd.

HM: The Whisper vs Alex Zayne, King of Trios Night 2019 Night 3 10/6/2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Why not, seconded

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Agreed nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

There's probably about five people on this world that are high on this match as I am; but this is up there on my favourite matches of this year - there are a few Gatoh Move matches I'd have to think about (Emi Sakura-Riho from Riho's farewell show; the Mei Suruga-Emi Sakura match from the one night tournament in May and I've not yet watched the Mei Suruga-Riho Title match yet since I've not watched the DVD but it has to be good) but this is unironically up there with them.

To explain for non-Gatoh Move fans: Mei Suruga is the young up and comer that's clearly the person that they're going to build the company around in the future. Her 'graduation' from rookie status there was earlier this year: with a victory over company owner and trainer Emi Sakura in May, followed by a hard-fought loss against Riho in June; and then her being clearly presented as one of the people that trained the new rookies, of which Lulu Pencil is one of them. Apparently she was in charge for this show since Emi Sakura was in the UK at EVE: which is funny since I imagine one year pro 20 year old 4 foot 10 Mei Suruga trying to boss around long-time pros Masahiro Takanashi and Antonio Honda. Her style is very fast paced: she uses the unique location that Ichiyaga Chocolate Square is to peak advantage in almost every match and I'd argue that having to work without a ring most of the time is to her advantage: it means that she has to be more creative with her offence and also rely more on things like making basic mat wrestling exciting which I like. She's someone who has everything: star presence, charisma, in-ring work and should be a star in wrestling.

Lulu Pencil... is slightly different. A free-lance writer who didn't do anything physically active before starting to attend the Daredemo classes (which is an open-to-all pro wrestling school ran by Gatoh Move); she debuted in August at the start of the new era of Gatoh Move although really she won the hearts of everyone (well at least the corner of Western Wrestling twitter that follows Gatoh Move) in a series of pre-debut exhibition matches where she lost 8-0 in basically a three minute Ironman match tapping out to wrist locks and all sort of things. Her character is that she's endearingly bad at pro wrestling: they've taken her physical disadvantages and just ran with it and it rules. And it clearly worked - basically everyone that went to speak to Emi Sakura after the EVE show mentioned how much that they loved Lulu Pencil and her matches seem to draw international viewership numbers to the point where they mention it all of the time on commentary and Emi tweeted it out: which I think Lulu found a rather humbling thing.

Which leads to this match: the future ace against the comedy wrestler: most people would make this a short and sweet match; but not Gatoh Move where it goes within seconds of the 10 minute time limit. What makes it a great match to me is just that its so incredibly entertaining in that uniquely Gatoh Move way: there's a spot early on where Lulu Pencil chases Mei Suruga around the back to the window (if you've never seen Gatoh Move this probably makes no sense) and Mei expertly jumps onto the ledge and does a forward roll back onto the mat while Lulu gingerly tries to climb onto the ledge and then loses her balance and falls over the ledge; half in and half out. The story of the match is basically that: Mei is the experienced veteran: the superior talent who's in control for most of the match but Lulu Pencil, usually by luck more than skill, manages to come back at short periods and even manages to get a near fall late in the match which is a first. It takes the deadly drop kick for Lulu Pencil to lose: a hard-fought contest that demonstrated the fighting spirit of the rookie. Its also a match where the commentary helps it: Pumi comes out with some great lines that help to sell the story of this match. The key thing that makes this work is that inherent clumsiness that she has that they're pushing: there are other wrestlers that have that (Sakura Hirota is a big one) but few where it feels as raw and as real as it does here and that's perhaps because it is: its an entirely self-aware thing that she's never going to be the best wrestler ever but to work with what you have. And its the joy of Gatoh Move: the same system that developed Mei Suruga, one of the best one wrestlers around who debuted after two months of training and was immediately great, is open to all so you get people like Lulu who're never going to debut in any other Joshi company; but within the Gatoh Move system it just works.

If you're not a fan of short comedy matches; or Gatoh Move then you'll not like this match. Some will say that comparing this match to big main event level things isn't fair and that they are better - but I'd argue that this match suits being nominated since it entertained me more than almost any other match I've seen this year.

Nth