Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
My memory of PS4 playthrough might just be off but the Luminary also feels slightly more expressive in some cutscenes too now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow i love boss fights where you're alone, the boss can just choose to deal most of your health in one turn, and the latest save point is 10 minutes away

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm probably missing something super obvious, but could someone let me know where the options are to increase monster difficulty/etc?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

On the name screen when starting a game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Amppelix posted:

On the name screen when starting a game

Ah crap, so there's no way to change them once I've created a file?

Guess I'm playing through the intro again. Luckily I didn't get too far, I just got thrown in the dungeon.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Ah crap, so there's no way to change them once I've created a file?

Guess I'm playing through the intro again. Luckily I didn't get too far, I just got thrown in the dungeon.

you can turn them off at churches midgame but you can't turn them on

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Guess we will need to wait for Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age SSS Ultimate Conclusion Edition for that functionality

takuchang
Oct 3, 2019
はじめまして、みなさん。takuchangです。
Dragon Questについて話していきたいと思います。

Hi Everyone.
My Nickname is takuchang.
Let's Talk about DQ.
My First RPG was The Series of DQ, DQ5 on SNES.
But Dragon Quest 3 on SNES is One of Most Favored RPG for me.
Graphic,OST and World lore, Job System is so cool!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Guess we will need to wait for Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age SSS Ultimate Conclusion Edition for that functionality

Which will be released exclusively for Virtual Boy

takuchang
Oct 3, 2019

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also question to series vets, who would you say is your favorite Dragon Quest Demon King, and how much do the Demon kings throughout the series differ from the Dragonlord.

My Favorite is Zoma

takuchang fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 3, 2019

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

takuchang posted:

Hi Everyone.
Let's Talk about DQ.
Hello and welcome!
My first DQ was VI on the DS, but I didn't finish a DQ game until IX (the treasure maps drew me in like no other). I've been making an effort to go back and finish all of the other games now, but it's taking quite a while!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

takuchang posted:

はじめまして、みなさん。takuchangです。

Hi Everyone.
Let's Talk about DQ.

My favorite is DQ8. I’ve played through the game 4 or 5 times and usually beat the final boss at level 30 or so. I love the alchemy, characters and world.

DQ11 is incredible too. Still need to play 1-3.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My first RPG was Dragon Quest 2, but I never finished that one. I still loved it, though.

I have played and beaten DQ 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 (just played but didn't beat), 8, and 11. 11 is probably my favorite now, but I have the fondest memories of 4. The chapter system was really fun at the time and I loved the wagon mechanic. The version I played was even the original NES version where the party controls itself in Chapter 5, but it was still pretty great.

And Sylvando is the best character in the series.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so I 100% the ps4 version awhile ago and had no interest in 11 S until just a couple days ago when the bug to replay it bit me.

Would you say it was worth it to do another run through? Does it have enough new content? And does 16/32-bit mode have proper sprite animations on the enemies? I love the fluid animations in past games and everything I've seen has been static and that's kind of a bummer.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

My first RPG was DQ1 on the NES followed by Ultima 3. I'm guessing that Ultima port probably wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for DQ.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey so I 100% the ps4 version awhile ago and had no interest in 11 S until just a couple days ago when the bug to replay it bit me.

Would you say it was worth it to do another run through? Does it have enough new content? And does 16/32-bit mode have proper sprite animations on the enemies? I love the fluid animations in past games and everything I've seen has been static and that's kind of a bummer.

It's been a fun replay so far. Playing with the fastest battle speed really moves things along, plus you can skip cutscenes if you want. I hear playing in 2D is a lot faster too since the world is smaller. I don't think the enemies are animated at all.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

takuchang posted:

はじめまして、みなさん。takuchangです。

Hi Everyone.
Let's Talk about DQ.

Hello! My first RPG was Dragon Quest, as well. The first game in the series. I received it for free by subscribing to a popular Nintendo magazine! The game concept was very strange at first, but eventually I became obsessed with it. Later, I bought the second and third game as well. I was disappointed that ENIX chose not to release any of the SFC games in the USA.

こんにちは! 私の最初のRPGもドラゴンクエストでした。 シリーズの最初のゲーム。 人気のある任天堂の雑誌を購読して無料で受け取りました! ゲームのコンセプトは最初は非常に奇妙でしたが、やがてそれに夢中になりました。 後で、2番目と3番目のゲームも購入しました。 ENIXが米国でSFCゲームをリリースしないことにしたことに失望しました。

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My first Dragon Quest game was Dragon Warrior Monsters on the GBC. I was hurt when I found out the other games made you play as the human and kill all the monsters :(

In retrospect the breeding system in that game is really obtuse and bad for playing blind but I have fond memories of printing out some 20 page guide from gamefaqs and drawing out a big tree of all the combinations I'd need to make to get the ultimate monster.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Social Animal posted:

My first RPG was DQ1 on the NES followed by Ultima 3. I'm guessing that Ultima port probably wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for DQ.

NES Ultima 3 was one of my favorite games as a kid despite having no idea what I was doing ever.

Final Fantasy 1, DQ1, and Ultima 3 were my first rpgs in some order, probably true for a lot of kids who started gaming with the NES.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

My first Dragon Quest game was Dragon Warrior Monsters on the GBC. I was hurt when I found out the other games made you play as the human and kill all the monsters :(

In retrospect the breeding system in that game is really obtuse and bad for playing blind but I have fond memories of printing out some 20 page guide from gamefaqs and drawing out a big tree of all the combinations I'd need to make to get the ultimate monster.

My first DQ game was also Monsters and I did the exact same thing with the gamefaqs breeding guide.

There was a kid in my class that had the same game and we'd breed and battle all the time. One of my favorite memories was the afternoon we figured out it takes something like 8 or 16 metal slimes to make a gold slime if you're playing single player, but only one each if you have a link cable.

I didn't play a real DQ until DQ8 some years later.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow you literally can't wear the mardi gras look without dancing everywhere which prevents you from running

the dance is good but i'm never wearing this :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

takuchang posted:

はじめまして、みなさん。takuchangです。

Hi Everyone.
Let's Talk about DQ.

Welcome to Something Awful!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
My first DQ, and first RPG, was a rental of DQ 1. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was definitely hooked on exploring the towns and hitting monsters. I didn't end up beating it though until my friend got a copy with Nintendo Power and I borrowed it off of him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dabbled with Dragon Quest games and definitely rented "Dragon Warrior" once as a kid. I found it pretty baffling, mostly because my first RPG was FF4 on the SNES, so DQ1 was a lot different.

The first one that really grabbed me was DQ8, though. I bought it on a whim just for the FF12 demo and ended up absolutely falling in love with it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

The Christmas I got my NES, I also got Dragon Warrior, Castlevania II, and Zelda II. :allears: My Mom and I shared a savegame. She beat the Dragonlord before I did, but didn't tell me until after I had done it too. :buddy:

I already had Dragon Warrior when the free copy came with Nintendo Power, so I sold the extra in the local paper and used the money to buy something else. I remember having to travel 50 miles away to find a store that actually had a copy of Dragon Warrior II, but holy poo poo, the entire world of the first game was a tiny bit of the second game?! And you got three party members and had to fight multiple monsters?! Mindblowing for young me.

はじめまして takuchang!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My first RPG was FF7, because I was like nine or ten and both Square and Enix balked at the idea of PAL regions enjoying their games. I didn't really get it at all, kinda hated it and also didn't have a memory card so I never made it out of the reactor until it had to go back to Civic Video.

Soon after I played Phantasy Star 2 and fell in love with it and the genre though. First DQ for me was playing around with the DW4 ROM and then getting DQ8 when we were finally blessed with it. I really like 4 a lot.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Dragon Warrior was my first introduction, but 3 was where I really started to love it. 3, 8 and 11 are my top DQ games.

Speaking of 11, just reached Act 2 last night. :suspense: From the post-Sniflheim scene it was pretty obvious that Jasper was evil, but things going from "Oh, evil underling manipulating his superior" to "oh gently caress they're both evil" to "OH gently caress HE'S ACTUALLY THE DEMON LORD" in the span of minutes was a hell of a way to shake things up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think my favorite ones are 3, 4, 5, and 8. Dragon Quest is always charming though.

I've finished all the main series other than X, and several spinoff games by now too. My save for Caravan Heart is stuck at the final boss with a party too weak to defeat it though...

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 4, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My first game was the first, back when it was still new-ish in the US. I didn't make it past...I forget the English name, but the second town on the first part of the continent, for the LONGEST time. I didn't play II and III until they were released on GBC, and played Monsters around the same time. IV once I had internet and played it on emulator. And then a looooong stretch of not playing any of the rest until the DS releases of IV-VI!

I've played just about the entire mainline series by this point in time. All but X. Haven't beaten all of them, like I have never beaten the original version of VII for an example. I'd say my favorite is V, but I do really like IV and VI as well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So I'm nearing what I assume to be the end of Act 2, Do I need to be using this Legendary Sword of Light for the boss fight? I mean I'm sure it's a nice sword, but I have a Greatsword that has, like 80 more attack.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

YggiDee posted:

So I'm nearing what I assume to be the end of Act 2, Do I need to be using this Legendary Sword of Light for the boss fight? I mean I'm sure it's a nice sword, but I have a Greatsword that has, like 80 more attack.

Nah, just keep smashing dudes into the dirt with Unbridled Blade

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Was there anything else that was removed from the original versions in the Switch version? I am rather surprised as I thought that this new version was all additions/refinements.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I think my first DQ game was Rocket Slime of all things and I really wish I had a system that could play it again.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My first game was also Dragon Warrior Monsters. It’s such a charming little game I haven’t forgotten any part of it. Their monster library was successfully diverse enough that you could almost always get some new monster by breeding. At the time I think the game was meant to ride on the success of Pokemon but it ended up really being its own thing.

I don’t like where the series went with Joker and could not get into the recent games at all.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I named my luminary in dq11 Yuusha because I couldn't stop thinking about yuusha yoshihiko when trying to decide on a name. I watched all 3 seasons and I can't stop smiling over the jokes like seeing a dq hero forced into a boyband due to selecting the wrong class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YSFfIA8c94

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i named my luminary grant b/c it fits with the geology naming convention of his hometown

also he just kinda looks like a grant

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
The emotional impact of the first scene in Dundrasil is brought down by the Hero's inability to emote, methinks. At least put a comforting hand on the grieving man's shoulder.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Seneca is my go-to name for RPG heroes and usually it's fine but there's two other folks named Serena and Serenica and it gets a little weird.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The emotional impact of the first scene in Dundrasil is brought down by the Hero's inability to emote, methinks. At least put a comforting hand on the grieving man's shoulder.
Yeah, it's kinda like the difference between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess; WW had a very emotive Link which was great, especially with the art style in that game, while TP's Link was very stone-faced. Here we have DQ8's Hero, who was expressive (maybe not to the level of WW Link though), while the Luminary is very stone-faced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Pharohman777 posted:

I named my luminary in dq11 Yuusha because I couldn't stop thinking about yuusha yoshihiko when trying to decide on a name.
I named mine "Lepta," which means "Eleven" in Polari.