Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't think they swapped Michael you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I don't think Michael got switched.

Yeah nothing in this episode has really made sense under the assumption he was

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Don’t worry about it, hot stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NO

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Bortles :smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gardner Minshew is right up Jason's alley.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arist posted:

CHICAGO

One of the outer suburbs, obviously.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I kinda want that tea set.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I knew that book was going to happen and it owned.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh drat, it does work.

F

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dat ash

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Dat ash

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

What happened once the credits started rolling? Our stream of the episode on Hulu cut out. Last thing we saw was them all meeting back in the Medium Place after Simone and Chidi talked in the yogurt place about solipsism.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

howe_sam posted:

I don't think they swapped Michael you guys.
I think the Bad Place smuggled in the Michael suit on the train, but hasn't replaced him yet. Gotta find the right moment to cause maximum havoc.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Squidster posted:

I think the Bad Place smuggled in the Michael suit on the train, but hasn't replaced him yet. Gotta find the right moment to cause maximum havoc.

It'd be negligent of the writers to bring up the Michael suit and never use it again (it wasn't just a throwaway joke, it was a part of a major plot point that changed their circumstances), but yeah, I don't think this particular Checkov has been fired yet.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Literally every duck?

Yes

And also horses

EVERY DUCK!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Wylie posted:

What happened once the credits started rolling? Our stream of the episode on Hulu cut out. Last thing we saw was them all meeting back in the Medium Place after Simone and Chidi talked in the yogurt place about solipsism.

That was it.

I had to watch the high-five between Jason and Elanor again because I was laughing so hard. "You're right. It is the code."

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I think Michael's definitely been replaced but Vicki or whoever just biding her time.

The show starts off with a recap of the skin suit and the gang even talk about how they don't get why the Bad Place would try something so obvious.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

I think Michael's definitely been replaced but Vicki or whoever just biding her time.

The show starts off with a recap of the skin suit and the gang even talk about how they don't get why the Bad Place would try something so obvious.

The show would never undercut a scene as heartfelt as Michael's pep talk to Eleanor by having it not actually be Michael.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Girl from Arizona scene was like the most heartwrenching scene the show's ever done. No way that wasn't really Michael.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I agree on all counts. 100% raw emotion there.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I think that's just good acting from Kristen Bell and it's not the first time we've seen Michael give a pep talk. It's not like the writers knew that she was going to pour her heart out into the scene.

We get told that Eleanor was loving things up by being in charge so Michael uncharacteristically reinforces her will to stay instead of opting for the greater good and letting somebody else take over. We also know that he's lying about faking the breakdown and putting Eleanor in charge which goes against Michael normally being completely honest with Eleanor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I think that's just good acting from Kristen Bell and it's not the first time we've seen Michael give a pep talk. It's not like the writers knew that she was going to pour her heart out into the scene.

We get told that Eleanor was loving things up by being in charge so Michael uncharacteristically reinforces her will to stay instead of opting for the greater good and letting somebody else take over. We also know that he's lying about faking the breakdown and putting Eleanor in charge which goes against Michael normally being completely honest with Eleanor.

This seems like a huge misreading of the episode to me.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, if Eleanor is screwing things up the best thing the Bad Place could do would be to completely support her.

I don't get why they didn't pull the same trick from the start with that rear end in a top hat and make it super obvious that he was being confused with someone else who had lived a better life. Repeating the experiment would yield meaningful results only if it's replicated as closely as possible anyway.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was waiting for Michael to mispronounce how he says Eleanor to prove he's actually an imposter and it didn't happen.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Alternatively, Janet telling Jason that Bortles got dropped is an indicator that Janet is really the imposter and is trying to gently caress with them. Though I guess that wouldn't work because she has to be keeping control of the neighbourhood.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, if Eleanor is screwing things up the best thing the Bad Place could do would be to completely support her.

I don't get why they didn't pull the same trick from the start with that rear end in a top hat and make it super obvious that he was being confused with someone else who had lived a better life. Repeating the experiment would yield meaningful results only if it's replicated as closely as possible anyway.

They would have had to kick off with that strategy right in the initial interview, but they didn't have enough advance notice to plan that. Plus, Brett seems to be good enough at cognitive dissonance that he would have been happy to take credit for someone else's life and convince himself he actually was mega-Gandhi or whatever.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm sticking with my 'replaced Michael' theory, but the odds have gone down from like 85% to like 65%.

Keep in mind, usually the bad place is good at faking this. Chris 'I'll be at the gym' the Demon is the exception, not the rule. Remember, Michal himself had the four and the audience fooled for the entire first season. It would be entirely in keeping with this show for there to be no huge dropped hints for another episode or two, since this was basically just setting up the new status quo.

(I also think it's slightly suspicious that he was all 'I'll never understand what it's like to be human' when we, like, had a whole episode about that in season 2. Not that Eleanor necessarily remembers that...)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 4, 2019

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Chidi messing with Simone with the 'since this isn't real than it doesn't matter what I do so I'm gonna mess with you're attitude was pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

Also I just saw that demon punching Eleanor and Michael in the face and that was pretty hilarious as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

We also know that he's lying about faking the breakdown and putting Eleanor in charge which goes against Michael normally being completely honest with Eleanor.
Well, the breakdown was because of Shawn revealing that if the experiment fails, the humans would be tortured for eternity by "Michael". There's a lot of reasons he wouldn't reveal that to anyone, let alone an overstressed Elanor.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bobulus posted:

Keep in mind, usually the bad place is good at faking this. Chris 'I'll be at the gym' the Demon is the exception, not the rule.

Chris is especially bad at it, but the demons are mostly not good at deception. The first attempt worked as well as it did because Michael had a fifteen-million-point plan. The moment that went out the window, most of the demons were terrible at winging it and would've preferred to fire up the ol' penis flattener and call it a day.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Chris is especially bad at it, but the demons are mostly not good at deception. The first attempt worked as well as it did because Michael had a fifteen-million-point plan. The moment that went out the window, most of the demons were terrible at winging it and would've preferred to fire up the ol' penis flattener and call it a day.

Shaun was killing it as the Judge first season, too. Assuming he's the one making the current plan, I can absolutely see a Fake Michael playing along really well.

Speaking of Michael's plans, episode 1 he was all 'let's run scenario 14-B on this guy', and we didn't see any of that this episode.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Vicky always wanted to show off her acting talents and to get a good role. I still think it’s her in the skin suit and they reveal will be huge like the reveal in season one when they find out it’s the bad place all along.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm fairly confident the show's thesis statement was not delivered by Vicki in a Michael suit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I'm fairly confident the show's thesis statement was not delivered by Vicki in a Michael suit.

Seriously

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wild rear end guess: If it is Vicki, she is totally method and ends up understanding Michael while trying to inhabit her character and becomes the second demon they manage to change and then even if the overall experiment technically fails, it succeeded because it made a another demon become a better "person"

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Maybe it's actually Janet and Bad Janet is the one actually handling the neighborhood now (signaled by her texting during the entire scene)

I dunno, I just thought the Bortles comment was incredibly mean :shrug:

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I’d originally thought that “highlight the Michael-suit in the recap” was just to service the Gym-Demon reveal, but Eleanor’s, “Why would they do something so obvious?” in this episode has me thinking something is up.

Switched Michael is possible, but I feel like his speech was so earnest that it doesn’t seem like that’s quite right. Two Michaels makes a little more sense to me. No switch, but Vicki maybe did come in on the train and is laying low in the neighbourhood, for now.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

howe_sam posted:

Vicki is the one in the Simone suit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
"The Best Place," reminds me of that claw machine from S1:

Michael: Oh, man! I didn't even want that thing. Why am I trying to win it?
Elanor: Because the machine says it's a prize.

And I love how the shows feel structured enough that there could another long-con hiding in it. But whether there is not, it's still great. Such a well done show.